You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The UK politics thread

Comments

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,739
    goldon said:
    Sorry, I don’t understand what context you are posting.
    Could you expand, giving your take on his stance, maybe give your opinion on him taking a pension from the EU which he has been so anti since day one. ( Which if news reports are to be believed will be paid for partly by the British taxpayer)
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,613
    He's Marmite !

https://youtu.be/bYEI9JksLbg

love him or
  • Options
    goldon said:

He's Marmite !

https://youtu.be/bYEI9JksLbg

love him or

Yes, that’s well documented.
    What’s your thoughts on him, and his position in the EU?
    And his stance on his pension from them?
  • Options

I have no knowledge of his financial situation other than he must receive wages for what he does. I had heard he was broke . ?

Yes, that’s well documented.
    What’s your thoughts on him, and his position in the EU?
    And his stance on his pension from them?

How are you doing now, hope things have improved for you health wise. gl
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,315
    tomgoodun said:

Smacks of hypocrisy that Nigel Farage is an MEP and refuses to give his 73k a year EU pension up after Brexit don’t you think?

No I don't. He has actively campaigned to lose his job and hence end his defined benefit pension accrual. His pension will be based on his salary as an MEP and the years he served as an MEP. It's not his fault that the MEP pension scheme is so generously funded by the tax payer.

• Options
    I can’t help feeling that “ destroy from within” isn’t the most moral thing I have witnessed, being vociferous on the EU swindling the taxpayers of our “ great nation” then benefitting from the very rules he was so anti and allegedly wishing to abolish., isn’t there a moral code anywhere that he could follow, some people who truly believe in a cause would turn down a pay rise/pension benefit to show that they indeed believe in the cause they were fighting for.
  • Options
    You have a point Tom, I don't think morality sits very well with most MPs sadly. You could take it further though and suggest that he shouldn't have taken any pay at all for the last 17 years (?) he has been an MEP. There are however numerous people working in jobs where they hate what their employer does, should they refuse to take any pay rises/pension benefits? I think not.

I don't know but I suspect that Farage didn't know how bad the EU was until he was part of it's inner workings.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Tutorial in question avoidance in becoming MP.

https://youtu.be/Uwlsd8RAoqI

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,024
    edited January 2018
    Enut said:

goldon said:

Am I allow to squeak.

https://youtu.be/hcxcrxslnYk

Have to say its a shame this guy isn't at the negotiating table for us. If anyone can post a clip or him losing a debate I'd be really interested to see it.

For anyone interested I also thought Tony Benn was an excellent orator, just to give a little political balance.
    I simply adore

a) Reading anything which is well-written, spaces & paragraphs, with a good vocabulary, correctly grammatised, & b) Listening to anyone who speaks with great knowledge, diction & elocution, & who projects their voice properly.

In my lifetime, & in this regard, 2 politicians stand out.

1) Tony Benn. (Though his son should perhaps never forgive him for being named Hilary).

2) Enoch Powell

And before anyone rushes to judgement, I can't abide Leftie nonsense or racism - & between them, those two gave us the works.

And yet no politicians gave me more pleasure to listen to than Tony Benn & Enoch Powell, though of course, on her day, & in one of her more obdurate moods, Lady Thatcher was pretty good as an orator.

And if you want a really readable, well-written Political memoir, read the Tony Benn Diaries. Once you read one, you'll want to read them all. And there are nine volumes.

Tremendous read, irrespective of your political persuasion.

• Options

The best political diaries I have ever read, though, were written by Alan Clark.

I'm sorry to say Alan, who lived in a place called Saltwood Castle, was a snob & a closet racist, & something of a philanderer.

He could really write readable Diaries though, & I can't recommend them strongly enough.

I should add that Tony, Enoch & Alan are no longer with us.

Whilst I disagreed with most of their political views, they were all outstanding politicians with genuine beliefs, & no interest in vote-catching rhetoric. I'm sorry to say it's hard to think of a modern politician - currently in power - of whom that can be said.

Theresa May, of course, is utterly dire as a Prime Minister. Nice person though.
  • Options

Worst MP in these isles?

Easy one, that.

Actually, that's maybe a little unfair.

I'll modify that to "worst Scottish female MP".
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Dipping my toe into this thread. Hopefully won't regret it. Politics tends to be a topic where everyone has an opinion (even if the opinion is it's all a load of bullocks) .

Expressing a different opinion to another can be distressing and/or entertaining (especially on social media) and rarely informative and enlightening. I have some hope that we can buck the trend keep the debate on the side of entertaining and informative.

My politics....

Very interested in it and its impact on the world and our country, society, my life and that of my family and especially my children.

I am not aligned to any particular party. I am quite centrist and have voted tory labour and lib dem in my life, though the overall trend has been right to left with age.

I tend to vote on issues of the time and the actual candidate or what I know of them. In local elections I tend to vote lib dem as they have excellent local councillors who are visible all year round. My constituency is a straight fight between tory and labour so lib dem is a wasted vote. I did still vote for them fairly recently, as I bought into their pledge on abolishing tuition fees. That went well come the coalition government.

The sitting labour MP lost his seat in that election and it wasn't until after he had gone I realised what a great local MP he had been. Constantly visible at small local events like primary school fetes, and a regular visitor (without constant press coverage) at other institutions around the area including spending time chatting to my late mother-in-law while in a nursing home. I couldn't even name his tory successor, never saw her once and she stood down at the last election.

I am very concerned about the state of the NHS at the moment - my wife has been in it all her working life - she now works for a private company though as her NHS community trust lost a tender last year. I have seen its brilliance and its failings through many family experiences including my own.

I think it says a lot about the state of the current leadership that Piers Morgan won a popularity vote vs Theresa May this morning. Yet there still seems to be no credible opposition to her within or outwith her party.

@Tikay10 - Mrs Thatch best PM in your lifetime? Churchill? Gladstone? Pitt the Younger?

@tomgoodun @eon1961 @goldon - I would have had to concede some respect for Mr Farage had he and his UKIP MEPs all refused to take their seats (and therefore salaries, expenses and pensions) as a point of principle. Even Sinn Fein have the integrity not to take up their seats in a parliamentary system they do not want to be part of. [Disclaimer: Not in any way a supporter of their politics].

Brexit - Voted remain. I can see why the Leave campaign had momentum and won, much easier to blame all our failings on immigration and point at failings in the current system (some fairly low hanging fruit like straight bananas to pick at in EU bureaucracy) and then paint a utopian future of global trade deals and £350m/week for the NHS without having any accountability to justify it or deliver it.

• Options

@Tikay10 - Mrs Thatch best PM in your lifetime? Churchill? Gladstone? Pitt the Younger?

Please. No need.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,896
    Enut said:

tomgoodun said:

Smacks of hypocrisy that Nigel Farage is an MEP and refuses to give his 73k a year EU pension up after Brexit don’t you think?

No I don't. He has actively campaigned to lose his job and hence end his defined benefit pension accrual. His pension will be based on his salary as an MEP and the years he served as an MEP. It's not his fault that the MEP pension scheme is so generously funded by the tax payer.

I think you give him too much credit. When he thought the referendum would be lost, he was already pitching for a second referendum. Something he tries to avoid talking about these days.
    He was fully behind the £350 million per week to the NHS Brexit bus, which was never going to happen.
    Probably worst of all was the fact that he was reported to the Police for his "Breaking Point" poster. This poster was supposed to depict the queue of immigrants at our borders.
    When in fact it was a queue of refugees who were fleeing from being bombed, starved and were at the Croatia-Slovenia border.
    This is not a man I could ever respect, or trust.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,465
    edited January 2018
    On the subject of politicians who also write memoirs and books , Ill tell you who writes well and is an excellent story teller, very funny too. When ive told people to read his books, im usually frowned at.

Im stalling with his name purposely.

Type buffoon in google and google suggests him.

Heres a link to the first few pages of one oh his books, Boris Johnstone.

https://goo.gl/JdFyWQ
  • Options

^^^^

Yes, excellent.

He had his own "writing rules" you know - short sentences & short words.

He also, famously, wrote;

“From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.”
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,485
    Dennis Skinner takes some beating too
    https://youtu.be/qvIUa47x_Oc
  • Options
    I think I'm right in saying that Boris was widely regarded as a success as London Mayor. Whilst he plays the bumbling idiot really well he does apparently get things done or at least gets the right people in position to do a good job.

In my view one of the major problems with Government is that people are almost always put in top positions they are totally unsuited to by way of experience or qualification. Then there is a big uproar when they turn out to be poor at the job, as if it's some sort of surprise!
  • Options
    Jac35 said:
    I see the chap behind Tony listening intently, whatever happened to him?