You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The UK politics thread

Comments

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

tomgoodun said:

Smacks of hypocrisy that Nigel Farage is an MEP and refuses to give his 73k a year EU pension up after Brexit don’t you think?

No I don't. He has actively campaigned to lose his job and hence end his defined benefit pension accrual. His pension will be based on his salary as an MEP and the years he served as an MEP. It's not his fault that the MEP pension scheme is so generously funded by the tax payer.

I think you give him too much credit. When he thought the referendum would be lost, he was already pitching for a second referendum. Something he tries to avoid talking about these days.
    He was fully behind the £350 million per week to the NHS Brexit bus, which was never going to happen.
    Probably worst of all was the fact that he was reported to the Police for his "Breaking Point" poster. This poster was supposed to depict the queue of immigrants at our borders.
    When in fact it was a queue of refugees who were fleeing from being bombed, starved and were at the Croatia-Slovenia border.
    This is not a man I could ever respect, or trust.
    Stone the crows! A Haysie post I fully endorse.

Very well said, though I think you can go further; Farage is a vile man and represents everything that is wrong with this country.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486

HAYSIE said:

Enut said:

tomgoodun said:

Smacks of hypocrisy that Nigel Farage is an MEP and refuses to give his 73k a year EU pension up after Brexit don’t you think?

No I don't. He has actively campaigned to lose his job and hence end his defined benefit pension accrual. His pension will be based on his salary as an MEP and the years he served as an MEP. It's not his fault that the MEP pension scheme is so generously funded by the tax payer.

I think you give him too much credit. When he thought the referendum would be lost, he was already pitching for a second referendum. Something he tries to avoid talking about these days.
    He was fully behind the £350 million per week to the NHS Brexit bus, which was never going to happen.
    Probably worst of all was the fact that he was reported to the Police for his "Breaking Point" poster. This poster was supposed to depict the queue of immigrants at our borders.
    When in fact it was a queue of refugees who were fleeing from being bombed, starved and were at the Croatia-Slovenia border.
    This is not a man I could ever respect, or trust.
    Stone the crows! A Haysie post I fully endorse.

Very well said, though I think you can go further; Farage is a vile man and represents everything that is wrong with this country.
    Stone the crows! A hhyftrfdr post I fully endorse.
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    Wish I could join this thread, but my lack of not being clever will always stop me , I really find all your comments so good thank you all for such a good read regards paige xx
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    I guess what I should say is why did I never take any notice of any leasons when I was at school, all I ever wanted was to leave school at 15 and go to work :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,369
    Nigel Farage. Truly a man who can unite Britain. Or, failing that, Haysie/Hhy and Jac.

A truly contentious little man. Always loved the pictures of him holding a beer glass. As soon as the cameras are away, he puts it down (untouched) and drinks wine.

Although he looks quite old, he is only 53. Telling so many lies must have aged him. It's always all about him. Few could have built, and lost, party support so quickly.

The way he vilified my last MP (at the time the only UKIP MP, and a decent man) was nauseating. I really hope that if reincarnation exists, he comes back as himself.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,378
    Seems strange to have a politics thread and everyone is agreeing. It cant last.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,665
    America loves his straight talking.

https://youtu.be/nwYsVxEj_kE

• Options
    He has just done it to make me out a liar. Nigel Farage talking about a second referendum today.
  • Options
    Should the ballot paper in the referendum been more comprehensive?
    Voting Remain was straightforward, as all voters knew what voting Remain meant.
    However, voting for Brexit wasn't that straightforward, as there are a number of different options.
    How stupid would Theresa May seem now, walking around saying Brexit means Brexit, when we still don't know what Brexit actually means to the Government.
    There are a number of different types of Brexits.
    Some Brexit voters just wanted to leave the EU and opt for WTO rules.
    Other Brexit voters wanted to leave the EU, but stay in the Single Market, and the Customs Union.
    Others wanted to leave, but just have a trade deal.
    There are other choices, but what would have happened if the ballot paper had included these choices instead of just "Leave"
    So if the Leave voters had voted equally in terms of these 3 options, then around 34% of the leave voters will be unhappy with whatever deal we finally get.
    Add the 48% that voted Remain and we could end up with 82% unhappy with any deal we get.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,286
    HAYSIE said:

I'm 100% confident that your arrival will soon change that.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Disagree
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Disagree
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

To qualify as a debate, I suppose there must be some level of disagreement.
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    HAYSIE said:

However, voting for Brexit wasn't that straightforward, as there are a number of different options.
    How stupid would Theresa May seem now, walking around saying Brexit means Brexit, when we still don't know what Brexit actually means to the Government.
    Other Brexit voters wanted to leave the EU, but stay in the Single Market, and the Customs Union.
    There are other choices, but what would have happened if the ballot paper had included these choices instead of just "Leave"
    So if the Leave voters had voted equally in terms of these 3 options, then around 34% of the leave voters will be unhappy with whatever deal we finally get.
    Add the 48% that voted Remain and we could end up with 82% unhappy

Excellent post. Cameron cocked this up IMO. The terms of the referendum should have been that in order for a leave vote to be successful the majority would have to be more than 50% of the electorate, not 50% of the turnout.

• Options

HAYSIE said:

Add the 48% that voted Remain and we could end up with 82% unhappy

Excellent post. Cameron cocked this up IMO. The terms of the referendum should have been that in order for a leave vote to be successful the majority would have to be more than 50% of the electorate, not 50% of the turnout.

The threshold for leaving was far too low, for something so important.
  • Options
    Thing I had to ask myself when voting to stay or leave was .

Had we, myself & my family benefited from being in the EU all these years. Was Britain a better place to live was the future going to be better. Well, all the terrible things the remain votes said would happen if we vote leave had already happened over the past 20 years, job loses, poor wages. longer working hours, reduced pensions, eroded savings,
    shortage housing, high mortgages, businesses closing, schools over crowded, look around the evidence is there.

The answer, easy decision, our children inherit our Governments mistakes.

Watch "Wanted Down Under" to hear the reasons Families want to leave Britain & emigrate to other Countries.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,744
    goldon said:

Had we, myself & my family benefited from being in the EU all these years. Was Britain a better place to live was the future going to be better. Well, all the terrible things the remain votes said would happen if we vote leave had already happened over the past 20 years, job loses, poor wages. longer working hours, reduced pensions, eroded savings,
    shortage housing, high mortgages, businesses closing, schools over crowded, look around the evidence is there.

Watch "Wanted Down Under" to hear the reasons Families want to leave Britain & emigrate to other Countries.

By “job losses”, do you mean our manufacturing base, as according to ‘statistics’ the figures for those employed are at a record high.
    “Longer working hours”, isn’t there an EU law stating maximum working hours per week, which has a tendency to be ignored in this country?
    “Reduced Pensions”, again, our own government ‘triple lock’ policy.
    “ Schools overcrowded”, again lack of spending by our own government
    “ High Mortgages”, lowest interest rate for decades, the price of houses has other reasons.

I can’t understand that people blame the EU for our problems., certainly have issues with laws being dictated by them, but in some cases the laws they want adhered to are for the benefit of the working man.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    tomgoodun said:

goldon said:

By “job losses”, do you mean our manufacturing base, as according to ‘statistics’ the figures for those employed are at a record high.
    “Longer working hours”, isn’t there an EU law stating maximum working hours per week, which has a tendency to be ignored in this country?
    “Reduced Pensions”, again, our own government ‘triple lock’ policy.
    “ Schools overcrowded”, again lack of spending by our own government
    “ High Mortgages”, lowest interest rate for decades, the price of houses has other reasons.

I can’t understand that people blame the EU for our problems., certainly have issues with laws being dictated by them, but in some cases the laws they want adhered to are for the benefit of the working man.
    Many people also blamed the EU for our immigration, when the UK Government completely ignores their right to return any immigrant that has no job in 3 months. Assuming we do leave, I think that future governments will struggle to find an alternative scapegoat, with no Europe to blame for everything.
    As far as EU laws go, I honestly cant remember anything untoward that we have had to comply with.
    However our own laws leave a lot to be desired on times, like John Worboys getting released. There is another guy who has just murdered his third partner. So he killed one, then convinced the parole board that he was ok. Came out of prison and murdered another one. Convinced the parole board again. Came out and murdered a third. Must have been an EU parole board.
    Should be out again before long.
  • Options
    The Rich will (not) get Poorer Brexit or not, but the poor will, you don't just sweep the Streets & Shop Doorways for a Royal Wedding. Time will tell either way. fwiw
  • Options
    goldon said:

The Rich will (not) get Poorer Brexit or not, but the poor will, you don't just sweep the Streets & Shop Doorways for a Royal Wedding. Time will tell either way. fwiw

That was down to the local councillor. Not original though, the solution in Bournemouth was to offer all their homeless people a free one way train ticket to go somewhere else.