You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522

one question i often ask if Europe was so special and beloved why are you living in England and not your promised land even the refugees are trying to escape from france !!

I love my country. I don't think Europe is special, i just want to trade with them.
    We are not going to stop being in Europe just because we leave the EU.
    The refugee bit has precious little to do with the EU-they almost all come from outside the EU, and we are free to stop them in or out of the EU.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751

one question i often ask if Europe was so special and beloved why are you living in England and not your promised land even the refugees are trying to escape from france !!

I have lived in England all my life
    I have lived in the Continent of Europe all my life, I don’t understand your question.

Dobie asked a very good question about fishing, I too would be interested to know how things will improve for fishermen by leaving the EU?
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,063

Essexphil said:

Got to ask-how does this relate to Brexit?

There will be a convaluted 2 page answer , basically saying that the anti semitic claims about labour have contributed to a lack of challenge to the tory government and Brexit in general . ....T o be clear I dont agree with that ! :)
    Actions will prove to be much more successful than words.
    They either really want to sort the problem out, or just talk about sorting it out.
    Tom Watson responded early this morning, by saying if it was in his gift, he would already be suspended.
    I think it was the right decision.

I'd also point out as well , that the whole issue of anti semitism within the labour party seems to have come to the fore since the appointment of corbyn . The perception , that he is a predominately a Palestinian supporter will have added not only to the genuine complainants , but be a perfect springboard to those who oppose this perceived view .

If you think Labour has an anti-Semitism problem now, just wait till Chris Williamson takes over

Yesterday was not a good day in Labour’s campaign to banish the spectre of anti-Semitism from its ranks. Come to that, it’s difficult to recall a good day in that respect: the story of Labour’s struggles with Jew hatred has been pretty consistently awful ever since Jeremy Corbyn – friend of anti-Semitic terrorists Hamas and Hezbollah – became party leader. For those unclear why it has become such a problem in Labour’s ranks, read the preceding sentence again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/27/think-labour-has-anti-semitism-problem-now-just-wait-till-chris/

Riots are coming :) as an avid brexit fan i dare say without an act of parliement Brexit can't be stopped

Difficult to say what will happen.

Too many politicians looking to feather their nests in the future get rid of every one of them not behind brexit in essence they are acting against the country in days gone by thay was treason
    Britain survived pre europe and no doubt will survive post Europe
    and i will probably get banned for my true feelings on this vote vote vote vote again until they get the answer they want
    As an ex fisherman i have no love for brussels

I am not sure how they will feather their nests.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    tomgoodun said:

I have lived in England all my life
    I have lived in the Continent of Europe all my life, I don’t understand your question.

Dobie asked a very good question about fishing, I too would be interested to know how things will improve for fishermen by leaving the EU?
    For balance I also asked , how difficult it had been under EU law as well .
  • MasoniReefMasoniReef Member Posts: 168
    70% quota is taken by european fisherman which would be returned back to uk Fisherman Brussels decree who can rape our waters i have lived and worked on the continent myself but its repulsive so many people in this country are laying on their backs saying brussels screw me over a little bit more a reckoning is coming
    Essexphil said:

I love my country. I don't think Europe is special, i just want to trade with them.
    The refugee bit has precious little to do with the EU-they almost all come from outside the EU, and we are free to stop them in or out of the EU.
    I asked Haysie this question a little while back and he was unprepared to answer .
    How do you think Brexit will personally affect you negatively ?

MP's expressing their opinion and holding symbolic votes and parliamentary motions is not enough to delay Brexit. In order for a delay to Brexit beyond 29 March 2019 to occur legally, there has to be an Act of Parliament. Again, perhaps Gina Miller has inadvertently assisted the Brexit cause. At the heart of her case was whether or not Parliament could invoke Article 50 by way of the prerogative. It was her case brought before the Supreme Court which set the ruling that Parliament cannot use the Royal Prerogative to revoke an Act of Parliament.

There is one way in which Parliamentary approval is recognised by the courts in England & Wales. That is an Act of Parliament. In other to delay Brexit, legally, there has to be an Act of Parliament to that effect. There is simply no other way.Theresa May can make whatever statements she likes; but they are not legally enforceable.

Brexit has an Act of Parliament: The European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018. Section 1 says "The European Communities Act 1972 is repealed on exit day". The Act has a glossary too and it defines "exit day" as the following: "29 March 2019 at 11.00 p.m". That has to be amended for there to be a legally enforceable delay to Brexit.

If MP's want to overturn it they have to amend the legislation. They cannot unilaterally decide to extend exit day. MPs may very well hold a parliamentary vote but there is no statutory basis for that to become legislation. A parliamentary motion is not an Act of Parliament. An expression of opinion in the Commons has no legal force.

Should Olly Robbins's comments made in a bar about Theresa May's tactic of it being her way or the long delay be true, she had better start looking into amending the Withdrawal Act. Soon. If not, and she sees to delay Brexit by way of a parliamentary motion, she is surely opening herself up to potentially one of the most important legal challenges in modern British political history.

that Should upset a few remainers:)

They vote on extending Article 50, and ruling out no deal, in the middle of March, on consecutive days, assuming the vote on the Withdrawal Agreement fails to get through.

Essexphil said:

I asked Haysie this question a little while back and he was unprepared to answer .
    Think I answered it before, but not going through this thread :)
    Me personally? Not a lot other than I am trying to sell my house, and no-one is buying at the minute. Confidence in the economy going forward in housing is zero.
    More worried for my kids. We have spent 45 years basing our international trade on being part of the EU. We are now changing without a clear plan.
    There will be significant economic problems. Not as bad as some are saying, but significant. It disturbs me that people under 40 seem to be poorer than their parents were at the same age-that's not right.
    I think people who voted Leave were sold a vision of Britain in the future that is just not true.
    But we will survive. The British are famed throughout the World for their ability to do things the hard way :)

I just want us to get the best deal we can, as soon as we can, and move on.

Essexphil said:

@Essexphil just requoting this , would be interested in your answer.
    Essexphil said:

MP's expressing their opinion and holding symbolic votes and parliamentary motions is not enough to delay Brexit. In order for a delay to Brexit beyond 29 March 2019 to occur legally, there has to be an Act of Parliament. Again, perhaps Gina Miller has inadvertently assisted the Brexit cause. At the heart of her case was whether or not Parliament could invoke Article 50 by way of the prerogative. It was her case brought before the Supreme Court which set the ruling that Parliament cannot use the Royal Prerogative to revoke an Act of Parliament.

There is one way in which Parliamentary approval is recognised by the courts in England & Wales. That is an Act of Parliament. In other to delay Brexit, legally, there has to be an Act of Parliament to that effect. There is simply no other way.Theresa May can make whatever statements she likes; but they are not legally enforceable.

Brexit has an Act of Parliament: The European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018. Section 1 says "The European Communities Act 1972 is repealed on exit day". The Act has a glossary too and it defines "exit day" as the following: "29 March 2019 at 11.00 p.m". That has to be amended for there to be a legally enforceable delay to Brexit.

If MP's want to overturn it they have to amend the legislation. They cannot unilaterally decide to extend exit day. MPs may very well hold a parliamentary vote but there is no statutory basis for that to become legislation. A parliamentary motion is not an Act of Parliament. An expression of opinion in the Commons has no legal force.

Should Olly Robbins's comments made in a bar about Theresa May's tactic of it being her way or the long delay be true, she had better start looking into amending the Withdrawal Act. Soon. If not, and she sees to delay Brexit by way of a parliamentary motion, she is surely opening herself up to potentially one of the most important legal challenges in modern British political history.

Doesn't upset me.
    However, your law seems a lot like my fishing.

It will not be difficult to get Parliament to agree to a SHORT extension. And then the date can be changed perfectly legally by a Statutory Instrument.

What will prove a lot more problematic is getting any agreement for the sort of massive extension that a new Referendum would need. If anyone could ever agree on the question to be put.

This Remainer would rather we left than carried on arguing for years.

Some industries will undoubtedly suffer as a result. Fishing will undoubtedly be one of them. But Democracy means doing things the majority want, not what I want.
    The key now is that an extension until the end of June would probably be acceptable to most of our MPs.
    Macron has said he wont accept an extension without good reason.
    So assuming we got an extension until the end of June, this would be a proper cliff edge, as the EU would definitely not extend again, after the new MEPs take their seats at the beginning of July.
    So we either get a short extension, or try for a longer one, and elect MEPs.

Not being a fishing expert, but coming out of the Common Fisheries policy may well mean tariffs on our fish exports to the EU. We currently sell around 60% of our fish to them.

Some experts are suggesting that to get a decent trade deal with the EU will involve giving away fishing rights.
    Essexphil said:

Doesn't upset me.
    However, your law seems a lot like my fishing.

It will not be difficult to get Parliament to agree to a SHORT extension. And then the date can be changed perfectly legally by a Statutory Instrument.

What will prove a lot more problematic is getting any agreement for the sort of massive extension that a new Referendum would need. If anyone could ever agree on the question to be put.

This Remainer would rather we left than carried on arguing for years.

Some industries will undoubtedly suffer as a result. Fishing will undoubtedly be one of them. But Democracy means doing things the majority want, not what I want.

There is a limited choice left.

A series of indicative votes to find the most popular deal, and the question becomes this deal or remain.

Another possibility that has been put forward is an agreement to support her deal, as long as that is put to a referendum, with a choice of her deal or remain.

A series of indicative votes to find the most popular deal, and the question becomes this deal or remain.

Another possibility that has been put forward is an agreement to support her deal, as long as that is put to a referendum, with a choice of her deal or remain.

This is the bit I disagree with, however much i want to agree.

We have had the vote about whether we are leaving. The only thing that hasn't been decided is how. We can't then go back and ignore the previous vote.

I don't live in England.

I think that wanting to be part of Europe, is completely different to wanting to live there.

I have enjoyed the freedom of being able to work in Spain, and Portugal.
    Essexphil said:

This is the bit I disagree with, however much i want to agree.

We have had the vote about whether we are leaving. The only thing that hasn't been decided is how. We can't then go back and ignore the previous vote.

Whatever I have got to say about it will not affect the outcome.
    We have now got a month left, and no solution in sight.
    A referendum would be a solution.
    There seem to be 2 other solutions, both of which may be ruled out in two weeks time.
    So what is the solution if we cant get the Withdrawal Agreement through by the end of June?
    Still waiting for one of you remainers to answer a straight question and tell me how brexit will personally affect you in a negative way .

I'd also point out as well , that the whole issue of anti semitism within the labour party seems to have come to the fore since the appointment of corbyn . The perception , that he is a predominately a Palestinian supporter will have added not only to the genuine complainants , but be a perfect springboard to those who oppose this perceived view .

Corbyn's new low: Labour leader tries to save close ally in vile anti-Semitism storm – only to be shamed into suspending him by 38 of his own furious MPs
    Jeremy Corbyn was forced to suspend ally Chris Williamson after revolt
    Some 38 moderate MPs pressed for Mr Williamson’s removal in a letter
    Labour had initially refused to withdraw the whip from Chris Williamson
    Mr Corbyn is believed to have intervened personally to block his suspension

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6753719/Corbyn-tries-save-close-ally-vile-anti-Semitism-storm-shamed-suspending-him.html
    Relief for May as she WINS latest Commons showdown despite Brexiteer anger over claims she has 'taken No Deal off the table' - as Corbyn switches to supporting a second referendum

The Prime Minister accepted two amendments to her motion seeking support for continued talks with Brussels - but neither involved further concessions. Mrs May (pictured left leaving the Commons today) has warned MPs they must accept her deal by March 12 - but admitted if they refuse, the Commons must vote to accept no deal Brexit or vote to delay Brexit. Labour MP Yvette Cooper - who has led efforts to block no deal - claimed victory when David Lidington said the Government would be bound by a vote against no deal on March 13. Ms Cooper got an amendment setting out the no deal and delay votes passed by 502 to 20 (pictured right are MPs voting tonight). Mrs May's motion was then agreed as amended unopposed. Tonight's votes also marked the moment Labour switched its support from pursuing its own Brexit to backing a second referendum. Jeremy Corbyn told his MPs on Monday defeat tonight would mean the choice facing Britain was a no deal Brexit or Mrs May's Tory Brexit - meaning a public vote was the only option. Mr Corbyn's amendment setting out the Labour plan was duly defeated 323 to 240 votes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html