You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,058
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    This is just tosh. It is exactly this sort of biased reporting from Government that caused the problem in the first place.

It presupposes that it is "democratic" both to split the Leave vote in 2, while pretending that everyone who wants to Remain is of 1 mind.

you might as well have 3 options saying:-

1. Leave
    2. Remain and be open-minded on further EU integration on the Euro and a Joint Army
    3. Remain but insist that there is no further non-trade integration

Ooh, look. 600 seats for leave.

The minute you start changing the original question (In or Out) you get a different answer. And pretending otherwise is just duping the public.
    I think this supports an argument that I have made a number of times.
    The number of people who get what they think they voted for, will be very much in the minority.
    I don't think that those that maintain that they voted for no deal will be unable to stomach the PMs deal, and vice versa.
    A better question in the referendum would have avoided the current mess.
    I don't think it supports your argument at all.
    Agree re end result will only please a minority. However, every single outcome is only ever going to appease a minority.
    Perhaps if Remainers had been bothered to raise the difficulties BEFORE the vote we might not be where we are. Amazing how many important arguments were missed out entirely.
    A "better" question? The question was a simple one, its just that the answers were more complex than anyone told the public. Have to say that was a case of Remain failing to identify its arguments, or communicate them to the voters. Feel that Cameron in particular should be reflecting on whether he could have done more, rather than putting his self-interest ahead of his beliefs. Not sure how a more complex question would have helped.
    And please don't expect the Opposition to help the Government govern this country. The clue is in the name. If 1 single Remainer Conservative (Cameron? Major? as examples) had done half as much as Brown (an ex-PM, free of Party shackles) in 2016 in relation to campaigning, we wouldn't be in this mess.
    This could well come down to a choice between, no deal or a referendum.
    I assume that if this situation arose you would choose a referendum, rather than a disaster, despite your respect for the referendum result.
    If they were the only 2 options, I would prefer a referendum.
    But I would despise any politician who took the other choices away.
    Which politicians would you blame?
    Minister resigns over Brexit delay vote

Agriculture minister George Eustice has resigned over Theresa May's decision to allow a vote on delaying Brexit if her deal is rejected again by MPs.
    In his resignation letter to the prime minister, Mr Eustice said he wants to be "free to participate in the critical debate that will take place in the weeks ahead".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/minister-resigns-over-brexit-delay-vote/ar-BBUcCXK?ocid=spartandhp
    UK 'will reject Sturgeon's Indyref2 calls'

What happens if Brexit goes badly?
    There are fears in the UK government that a particularly chaotic Brexit could change things when it comes to Scottish independence.
    Some have warned about the impact of a no-deal Brexit on the union - particularly in Northern Ireland.
    But there are some in cabinet who think the threat it would pose to Scotland's relationship with the rest of the UK is just as strong.
    One source warned against creating "an environment of chaos, disruption and uncertainty."
    They added: "The dial hasn't been moved - the dial could be moved."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47406529
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Brexit DELAY: Jacob Rees-Mogg GIVES UP on March 29 departure - 'MPs just won’t support it'
    JACOB Rees-Mogg threw the Prime Minister a lifeline yesterday by indicating that Brexiteer Tory MPs could be ready to drop their opposition to her Brexit deal

The senior backbencher suggested that his 80-strong European Research Group (ERG) of MPs might accept an “appendix” to be attached to her Withdrawal Agreement setting out legal guarantees that the UK will not be indefinitely trapped in a customs union with the EU. Mr Rees-Mogg insisted that the appendix must have “equal” legal force to the original 585-page document setting out the agreement. He also indicated is willingness to accept a possible three-month delay to Brexit in the hope of getting a better deal.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1093430/brexit-news-latest-jacob-rees-mogg-eu-negotation-theresa-may-brexit-day-delay

This seems like potentially meaningful progress.
    It seems ludicrous that a backstop can cause so many people to use it as an excuse to impede progress, but just limit it in duration and move on...

The idea of a time-limited backstop after Brexit has been ruled out again by the Irish prime minister.
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he "can't countenance" the idea of an expiry date and such a deal would not be "worth the paper it's written on".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46096288

May accepts that backstop cannot be time-limited

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1018/1004960-brexit/

Time-limited backstop would be ‘useless’, warns Michel ...
    www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/...
    The EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier has dealt a significant blow to Theresa May’s hopes of agreement on her Plan B Brexit deal by ruling out a time-limit on the Irish backstop. In a ...

Michel Barnier: Time-limited “backstop” is unacceptable to ...
    openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/michel-barnier...
    The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said on Friday that a time-limited “backstop” proposal was unacceptable to the EU27. Speaking at a press ...

Guy Verhofstadt tells May to FORGET time-limited backstop
    www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1035029/Brexit-news-UK...

GUY Verhofstadt has warned Theresa May over her attempts to negotiate a ‘time-limited’ Irish backstop, insisting the EU Parliament does not consider the solution fit for the Brexit withdrawal ...
    Michel Barnier rejects time-limited backstop, but says ...
    openeurope.org.uk/daily-shakeup/michel-barnier...

The EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, said in Brussels yesterday, “The question of limiting the backstop in time has already been discussed twice by ...
    Time-limited backstop would be ‘useless’, warns Michel Barnier
    uk.news.yahoo.com/time-limited-backstop-useless...

The EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier has dealt a significant blow to Theresa May’s hopes of agreement on her Plan B Brexit deal by ruling out a time-limit on ...
    A time-limited Brexit backstop would be useless - EU's ...
    uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-barnier/a...

A temporary safeguard to avoid erecting a physical border between Ireland and Northern Ireland after Brexit would serve no purpose, the EU's chief negotiator Michel Barnier said on Wednesday.
    Barnier says time-limited Irish backstop not possible | Reuters
    uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-barnier/...

The European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said that the "backstop" provision in the agreement for Britain's withdrawal from the bloc could not be time-limited, since that would ...
    Ireland is forcing EU to play hardball over Brexit, Polish ...
    www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8241925/brexit...

• MasoniReefMasoniReef Member Posts: 168

Do you really believe those polls they get it wrong so often propaganda at its finest

Do you really believe those polls they get it wrong so often propaganda at its finest

The bigger ones usually seem more accurate, than small ones.
    I suppose they are pretty much the same as everything else, they are not all correct, neither are they all wrong.
    However they do sometimes provide information on trends, that we couldn't find out elsewhere.
    you must have thought you was in a nightmare when you lost when all the polls said remain would win suppose that was just a glitch for the bigger poll?
    Polls serve one purpose to steer people into voting how they want them to vote
    Jacob Rees-Mogg: There is a silver lining to delaying Brexit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlOW4uPGFU

you must have thought you was in a nightmare when you lost when all the polls said remain would win suppose that was just a glitch for the bigger poll?

It wasn't just the polls got that wrong.

Polls serve one purpose to steer people into voting how they want them to vote

I am not sure which way independent polls would want you to vote.

The online polls in this referendum, of which more than half were by YouGov, were the only piece of information informing the world of the correct risk of a Brexit throughout the campaign. The online polls showed the race very close, bouncing within the margin of error either side of 50/50, with a slight advantage for the Leave campaign. Unfortunately not enough attention was paid to this evidence, and the media, campaigns, betting and financial markets continued to presume that Brexit would not happen, despite warnings from YouGov again and again and again and again that this confidence was misplaced.

Three days before the vote, YouGov showed a two point lead for Leave. It was barely reported and didn’t move the markets. A subsequent eve of voting poll showed too close to call (51-49 Remain) and, unfortunately, our final on-the-day recontact study moved an additional percentage point in the wrong direction to 48/52 in favour of Remain. When this was announced on Sky News at 10pm, this time it was reported across the world as a confident prediction of a Remain victory. In reality small movements like this between different snapshot polls are an expected part of the process (we publish a margin of error of 3% on most polls, which we encourage media to make reference to), but overall our data showed the very close race that was eventually revealed.

Other online pollsters did better - congratulations to TNS and Opinium, the two online pollsters that recorded Leave ahead even at the end.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/28/online-polls-were-right
    I thought no one could be as evasive as Theresa May. I was wrong

Six months ago, few people outside Westminster – or indeed inside Westminster – had heard of Stephen Barclay. Yet, when the role of Brexit Secretary once again fell vacant, Theresa May had no hesitation in appointing him. Despite Mr Barclay’s inexperience, the Prime Minister had evidently seen something in him: some special skill, or talent. And I think I’ve worked out what it is.
    He can dodge questions almost as shamelessly as she does.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/28/thought-no-one-could-evasive-theresa-may-wrong/
    Labour moving towards plan to let May's Brexit deal pass if it faces public vote
    Amendment proposed by backbenchers would see party abstain on PM’s deal in return for second referendum

Labour is moving towards a compromise plan that would allow Theresa May’s Brexit deal to pass but make clear that parliament “withholds support” until it has been put to a public vote, according to multiple party sources.

Those involved in talks said the Labour leadership was in favour of a redrafted amendment proposed by backbenchers Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson, which would see the party abstain on the Brexit deal if a second referendum were promised on those terms.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/28/labour-moving-towards-plan-to-let-mays-brexit-deal-pass-if-it-faces-public-vote
    edited March 2019
    Ben Jennings on Theresa May and Brexit delays – cartoon

Tory MP criticised for saying there’s no Islamophobia in the party because Sajid Javid is a Muslim

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/tory-mp-henry-smith-islamophobia-tory-party-sajid-javid-muslim/
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    This is just tosh. It is exactly this sort of biased reporting from Government that caused the problem in the first place.

It presupposes that it is "democratic" both to split the Leave vote in 2, while pretending that everyone who wants to Remain is of 1 mind.

you might as well have 3 options saying:-

1. Leave
    2. Remain and be open-minded on further EU integration on the Euro and a Joint Army
    3. Remain but insist that there is no further non-trade integration

Ooh, look. 600 seats for leave.

The minute you start changing the original question (In or Out) you get a different answer. And pretending otherwise is just duping the public.
    I think this supports an argument that I have made a number of times.
    The number of people who get what they think they voted for, will be very much in the minority.
    I don't think that those that maintain that they voted for no deal will be unable to stomach the PMs deal, and vice versa.
    A better question in the referendum would have avoided the current mess.
    I don't think it supports your argument at all.
    Agree re end result will only please a minority. However, every single outcome is only ever going to appease a minority.
    Perhaps if Remainers had been bothered to raise the difficulties BEFORE the vote we might not be where we are. Amazing how many important arguments were missed out entirely.
    A "better" question? The question was a simple one, its just that the answers were more complex than anyone told the public. Have to say that was a case of Remain failing to identify its arguments, or communicate them to the voters. Feel that Cameron in particular should be reflecting on whether he could have done more, rather than putting his self-interest ahead of his beliefs. Not sure how a more complex question would have helped.
    And please don't expect the Opposition to help the Government govern this country. The clue is in the name. If 1 single Remainer Conservative (Cameron? Major? as examples) had done half as much as Brown (an ex-PM, free of Party shackles) in 2016 in relation to campaigning, we wouldn't be in this mess.
    This could well come down to a choice between, no deal or a referendum.
    I assume that if this situation arose you would choose a referendum, rather than a disaster, despite your respect for the referendum result.
    If they were the only 2 options, I would prefer a referendum.
    But I would despise any politician who took the other choices away.
    Would you despise the Labour Party, if they were instrumental in getting a referendum?
    UK supermarkets lowering standards and dropping products ahead of Brexit, study finds

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-supermarkets-lowering-standards-dropping-061528485.html

I'd also point out as well , that the whole issue of anti semitism within the labour party seems to have come to the fore since the appointment of corbyn . The perception , that he is a predominately a Palestinian supporter will have added not only to the genuine complainants , but be a perfect springboard to those who oppose this perceived view .

Labour handling of anti-Semitism 'disastrous', says Jeremy Corbyn ally Barry Gardiner

After an audience member asked whether Mr Corbyn’s handling of anti-Semitism makes him unfit to be Prime Minister, Mr Gardiner said: “The way in which we handled the whole anti-Semitism thing from last February, I think has been disastrous.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-handling-of-anti-semitism-disastrous-says-jeremy-corbyn-ally-barry-gardiner/ar-BBUe5lt?ocid=spartandhp