You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,064

Still waiting for one of you remainers to answer a straight question and tell me how brexit will personally affect you in a negative way .

I have answered this before.
    You may not think I have, but there you go,
    Phil just answered it.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

I'd also point out as well , that the whole issue of anti semitism within the labour party seems to have come to the fore since the appointment of corbyn . The perception , that he is a predominately a Palestinian supporter will have added not only to the genuine complainants , but be a perfect springboard to those who oppose this perceived view .

Corbyn's new low: Labour leader tries to save close ally in vile anti-Semitism storm – only to be shamed into suspending him by 38 of his own furious MPs
    Jeremy Corbyn was forced to suspend ally Chris Williamson after revolt
    Some 38 moderate MPs pressed for Mr Williamson’s removal in a letter
    Labour had initially refused to withdraw the whip from Chris Williamson
    Mr Corbyn is believed to have intervened personally to block his suspension

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6753719/Corbyn-tries-save-close-ally-vile-anti-Semitism-storm-shamed-suspending-him.html
    Doesn't necessarily make the guys statement wrong though does it ?

HAYSIE said:

Labour MP suspended over antisemitism row

Labour has suspended MP Chris Williamson after he accused the party of being "too apologetic" over accusations of antisemitism.
    He made the comment to Momentum activists in a video obtained by the Yorkshire Post, where the Derby North MP claimed Labour had long "stood up to racism" but is "now being demonised as a racist, bigoted party".
    "I think our party's response has been partly responsible for that because in my opinion... we've backed off too much, we've given too much ground, we've been too apologetic," the ally of Jeremy Corbyn said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-mp-suspended-over-antisemitism-row/ar-BBU9V9N?ocid=spartanntp

Suspended , because his comments aren't helpful to the labour party , not necessarily , because what he said doesn't have an element of truth behind it .
    Chilling creed of Corbyn's most vile attack dog: ANDREW PIERCE on Chris Williamson's help for a musician who blamed Grenfell on 'Jerusalemites'

Chris Williamson is a very good, very effective Labour MP. He’s a very strong anti-racist campaigner. He is not anti-Semitic in any way.
    These gushing words of praise were uttered by none other than Jeremy Corbyn during a visit to Williamson’s Derby North constituency just three weeks ago.
    At the time it certainly raised eyebrows among some Labour colleagues.
    Just one month earlier Williamson had attracted ire from Islington Council, Corbyn’s local authority, after he shared a petition calling on it to overturn a ban on jazz musician Giltad Atzmon performing in the borough.
    Atzmon is a brazen anti-Semite. Not only did he blame the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire, in which 71 people died, on ‘Jerusalemites’, but he has also called for Holocaust denial laws to be reconsidered.

Just this week, he had tried to arrange a screening in Parliament of Witch Hunt, a film defending activist Jackie Walker who herself is suspended from the party after she alleged Jews financed the slave trade.
    The truth is that, wherever there’s an anti-Semitism scandal in the Labour Party, a whiff of Williamson is never far behind.
    When it was revealed last year that Corbyn had visited a Tunisian cemetery in 2014 to attend a ceremony honouring Palestinian terrorists linked to the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre, it was Williamson who was his most resolute defender. No sooner had the Mail printed a photo of Corbyn holding a wreath, than Williamson accused the media of ‘smearing’ his comrade.
    The debacle hasn’t stopped Williamson, 62, from taking it upon himself to defend activists with a habit for making problematic statements about Jewish people. Last year, he spoke up for former party member Scott Nelson, who was expelled after tweeting about ‘workers abroad being exploited’ by ‘Jewish companies’ with ‘Jewish blood’.
    When Jewish MP Ruth Smeeth was reduced to tears after Labour activist Marc Wadsworth subjected her to vile abuse at the launch of the party’s anti-Semitism review in 2016, many party colleagues marched in solidarity with her back to Parliament. Not so Chris Williamson, who defended Wadsworth, who is black, claiming his critics were ‘white privileged’.

For many Labour MPs, it was simply further confirmation that Williamson is a stain on their party. Now that he has been suspended, some pray it will be the end of him. But most are not as optimistic, and are merely counting the days until Corbyn’s most vile attack dog is let off the hook yet again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6753797/ANDREW-PIERCE-Chris-Williamsons-help-musician-blamed-Grenfell-Jerusalemites.html

HAYSIE said:

I'd also point out as well , that the whole issue of anti semitism within the labour party seems to have come to the fore since the appointment of corbyn . The perception , that he is a predominately a Palestinian supporter will have added not only to the genuine complainants , but be a perfect springboard to those who oppose this perceived view .

Corbyn's new low: Labour leader tries to save close ally in vile anti-Semitism storm – only to be shamed into suspending him by 38 of his own furious MPs

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6753719/Corbyn-tries-save-close-ally-vile-anti-Semitism-storm-shamed-suspending-him.html
    It was a huge response in a short space of time.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751

70% quota is taken by european fisherman which would be returned back to uk Fisherman Brussels decree who can rape our waters i have lived and worked on the continent myself but its repulsive so many people in this country are laying on their backs saying brussels screw me over a little bit more a reckoning is coming

Britain’s fish will still belong to Europe after Brexit — because Spain, Holland and Iceland have bought up nearly 90% of the entire fishing quota of Wales and more than half the quota assigned to England.

Foreign owners of the fishing rights have also set up UK businesses to hold the quota, making meaningful change unlikely after the country leaves the EU.

The revelation is in fishery statistics from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), run by Michael Gove. The environment secretary’s civil servants were compiling the data at the same time as he was claiming that leaving Europe would let Britain “take back control” of its seas.
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

But it still doesn't make his statement devoid of a certain amount of truth .
    Corbyn has a target on his back . And call me sceptical , but I don't believe all of the anti semitic claims by a long stretch. That said, any that are , are by no means acceptable and should have been handled better as indeed the whole issue should have been .

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Corbyn has a target on his back . And call me sceptical , but I don't believe all of the anti semitic claims by a long stretch. That said, any that are , are by no means acceptable and should have been handled better as indeed the whole issue should have been .
    We have gone through this before.

I think the sudden increase in Labour Party membership, has caused them problems.

As I said previously if the Tories had a similar problem in the same proportion, the numbers would be significantly less, due to the much smaller membership.

Corbyn has been widely criticised for promising to deal with the problem, and clearly hasn't.

The complaints have not been dealt with in a timely fashion.

Yesterday there was a huge outcry over Chris Williamson, yet, it seems Corbyn had to be forced into approving his suspension. The reason for his suspension was not purely because of the one tape, he has previous form

What I cant get my head around is that antisemitism is illegal, so how is it so difficult to stop their members committing criminal acts, against other members.

They have promised zero tolerance on this, but have completely failed to deliver.

He seems to be regularly conspicuous by his absence from important meetings.

Why would you want those guilty of Antisemitism in the party.

If you don't want them in the party, throw them out.

These attacks are by text, twitter, email etc, and the attacker is providing proof of the attack, and their identity.

I don't think you need to be Sherlock Holmes to solve this.

Corbyn doesn't seem to have the will to sort out the problem.

He seems to lack a hands on approach and not only to this problem.

Based on this, how could you have any confidence in him being to sort out really difficult problems that the country might face, if he was PM.

'Hateful new low'
    In what it calls a "hateful new low", the Daily Mail says Jeremy Corbyn tried to block Chris Williamson's suspension from the Labour Party, before he was forced to withdraw the whip from his ally after a mass revolt by 38 moderate MPs.
    The Independent website says it's been told by a string of senior Labour figures - including two on the party's front bench - that Mr Williamson was about to be suspended, until Mr Corbyn's office "directly intervened".
    A shadow cabinet source is quoted as saying: "They hide behind process, but these decisions are always taken by the leader's office."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47396202
    tomgoodun said:

70% quota is taken by european fisherman which would be returned back to uk Fisherman Brussels decree who can rape our waters i have lived and worked on the continent myself but its repulsive so many people in this country are laying on their backs saying brussels screw me over a little bit more a reckoning is coming

Britain’s fish will still belong to Europe after Brexit — because Spain, Holland and Iceland have bought up nearly 90% of the entire fishing quota of Wales and more than half the quota assigned to England.

Foreign owners of the fishing rights have also set up UK businesses to hold the quota, making meaningful change unlikely after the country leaves the EU.

The revelation is in fishery statistics from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), run by Michael Gove. The environment secretary’s civil servants were compiling the data at the same time as he was claiming that leaving Europe would let Britain “take back control” of its seas.
    Clear as mud then.
    Brexit DELAY: Jacob Rees-Mogg GIVES UP on March 29 departure - 'MPs just won’t support it'
    JACOB Rees-Mogg threw the Prime Minister a lifeline yesterday by indicating that Brexiteer Tory MPs could be ready to drop their opposition to her Brexit deal

The senior backbencher suggested that his 80-strong European Research Group (ERG) of MPs might accept an “appendix” to be attached to her Withdrawal Agreement setting out legal guarantees that the UK will not be indefinitely trapped in a customs union with the EU. Mr Rees-Mogg insisted that the appendix must have “equal” legal force to the original 585-page document setting out the agreement. He also indicated is willingness to accept a possible three-month delay to Brexit in the hope of getting a better deal.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1093430/brexit-news-latest-jacob-rees-mogg-eu-negotation-theresa-may-brexit-day-delay
    Philip Hammond SMIRKS after Brexiteer Tories fail to vote down amendment on Brexit delay
    CHANCELLOR Philip Hammond appeared to have a smirk on his face after Theresa May's huge victory in Parliament as MPs approved her plan on Wednesday night, which was only opposed by the hardline Brexiteers in her Party

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1093479/Brexit-news-update-Philip-Hammond-Theresa-May-Cooper-amendment-ERG
    EU could insist on a Brexit delay of TWO YEARS if May's deal fails: Macron says he will not accept just an eight-week extension with 'no clear objective' on what to do with the extra time
    EU negotiator Michel Barnier has held talks with UK officials about the backstop
    But he has refused to reopen the divorce deal itself to make major changes
    Theresa May admitted there could be a delay to Brexit if there is no deal
    But she has warned MPs it is their duty to step and mass the deal by March 12

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6751131/EU-negotiator-Barnier-insists-trying-deal-Brexit.html
    Labour will table bid for second Brexit referendum within a fortnight, says John McDonnell
    Follows Labour's alternative Brexit plan being emphatically rejected by MPs during a series of late-night votes

Labour will put forward an amendment calling for a fresh EU referendum within a fortnight, John McDonnell has revealed.
    After the party's alternative Brexit plans were emphatically rejected during a series of late-night votes in the Commons, the shadow chancellor said Labour will make its pitch for a public vote when the next "meaningful vote" is held.

Theresa May has made clear she will bring her deal back for MPs to vote on by the 12 March - in just 12 days' time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-referendum-labour-corbyn-mcdonnell-a8800791.html
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Labour has suspended MP Chris Williamson after he accused the party of being "too apologetic" over accusations of antisemitism.
    He made the comment to Momentum activists in a video obtained by the Yorkshire Post, where the Derby North MP claimed Labour had long "stood up to racism" but is "now being demonised as a racist, bigoted party".
    "I think our party's response has been partly responsible for that because in my opinion... we've backed off too much, we've given too much ground, we've been too apologetic," the ally of Jeremy Corbyn said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-mp-suspended-over-antisemitism-row/ar-BBU9V9N?ocid=spartanntp

Suspended , because his comments aren't helpful to the labour party , not necessarily , because what he said doesn't have an element of truth behind it .
    Chilling creed of Corbyn's most vile attack dog: ANDREW PIERCE on Chris Williamson's help for a musician who blamed Grenfell on 'Jerusalemites'

Chris Williamson is a very good, very effective Labour MP. He’s a very strong anti-racist campaigner. He is not anti-Semitic in any way.
    These gushing words of praise were uttered by none other than Jeremy Corbyn during a visit to Williamson’s Derby North constituency just three weeks ago.
    Just one month earlier Williamson had attracted ire from Islington Council, Corbyn’s local authority, after he shared a petition calling on it to overturn a ban on jazz musician Giltad Atzmon performing in the borough.
    Atzmon is a brazen anti-Semite. Not only did he blame the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire, in which 71 people died, on ‘Jerusalemites’, but he has also called for Holocaust denial laws to be reconsidered.

Just this week, he had tried to arrange a screening in Parliament of Witch Hunt, a film defending activist Jackie Walker who herself is suspended from the party after she alleged Jews financed the slave trade.
    The truth is that, wherever there’s an anti-Semitism scandal in the Labour Party, a whiff of Williamson is never far behind.
    When it was revealed last year that Corbyn had visited a Tunisian cemetery in 2014 to attend a ceremony honouring Palestinian terrorists linked to the 1972 Munich Olympics massacre, it was Williamson who was his most resolute defender. No sooner had the Mail printed a photo of Corbyn holding a wreath, than Williamson accused the media of ‘smearing’ his comrade.
    The debacle hasn’t stopped Williamson, 62, from taking it upon himself to defend activists with a habit for making problematic statements about Jewish people. Last year, he spoke up for former party member Scott Nelson, who was expelled after tweeting about ‘workers abroad being exploited’ by ‘Jewish companies’ with ‘Jewish blood’.
    When Jewish MP Ruth Smeeth was reduced to tears after Labour activist Marc Wadsworth subjected her to vile abuse at the launch of the party’s anti-Semitism review in 2016, many party colleagues marched in solidarity with her back to Parliament. Not so Chris Williamson, who defended Wadsworth, who is black, claiming his critics were ‘white privileged’.

For many Labour MPs, it was simply further confirmation that Williamson is a stain on their party. Now that he has been suspended, some pray it will be the end of him. But most are not as optimistic, and are merely counting the days until Corbyn’s most vile attack dog is let off the hook yet again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6753797/ANDREW-PIERCE-Chris-Williamsons-help-musician-blamed-Grenfell-Jerusalemites.html
    The Daily Mail is clearly an authority on antisemitism.

As the only British newspaper ever to support Hitler, it seems ideally placed to lecture us all...
    edited February 2019
    HAYSIE said:

Brexit DELAY: Jacob Rees-Mogg GIVES UP on March 29 departure - 'MPs just won’t support it'
    JACOB Rees-Mogg threw the Prime Minister a lifeline yesterday by indicating that Brexiteer Tory MPs could be ready to drop their opposition to her Brexit deal

The senior backbencher suggested that his 80-strong European Research Group (ERG) of MPs might accept an “appendix” to be attached to her Withdrawal Agreement setting out legal guarantees that the UK will not be indefinitely trapped in a customs union with the EU. Mr Rees-Mogg insisted that the appendix must have “equal” legal force to the original 585-page document setting out the agreement. He also indicated is willingness to accept a possible three-month delay to Brexit in the hope of getting a better deal.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1093430/brexit-news-latest-jacob-rees-mogg-eu-negotation-theresa-may-brexit-day-delay

This seems like potentially meaningful progress.
    It seems ludicrous that a backstop can cause so many people to use it as an excuse to impede progress, but just limit it in duration and move on...

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Jeremy Corbyn’s slow response to suspend Chris Williamson shows Labour’s reluctance to tackle anti-Semitism

‘Major problem’ with anti-Semitism Deputy leader Tom Watson took the unprecedented step of taking it upon himself to investigate claims of antisemitism in a bid to stamp it out of the party.
    Even Jon Lansman, the chair and founder of the pro-Corbyn campaign group Momentum, this week admitted Labour has a “major problem” with antisemitism. Mr Corbyn’s prevarication over suspending his close ally yesterday will fuel beliefs that the message of Labour’s antisemitism problem has yet to be heard by the leader of the party.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/labour-anti-semitism-chris-williamson-suspended-party-split/
    Philip Hammond SMIRKS after Brexiteer Tories fail to vote down amendment on Brexit delay
    CHANCELLOR Philip Hammond appeared to have a smirk on his face after Theresa May's huge victory in Parliament as MPs approved her plan on Wednesday night, which was only opposed by the hardline Brexiteers in her Party

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1093479/Brexit-news-update-Philip-Hammond-Theresa-May-Cooper-amendment-ERG
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

It seems ludicrous that a backstop can cause so many people to use it as an excuse to impede progress, but just limit it in duration and move on...
    Apparently if you time limit it, it is not a backstop.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Not sure about progress.

If the WA gets through we leave without knowing what we will get.

If not, two votes will follow, one for a short extension to Article 50, providing further uncertainty, and a more definite cliff edge.

The other to rule out no deal, at least until the end of June.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

The Daily Mail is clearly an authority on antisemitism.

As the only British newspaper ever to support Hitler, it seems ideally placed to lecture us all...
    Most of the press seem to be in agreement on this issue.
    edited February 2019
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Of course it is.

Stage 1-withdrawal agreement
    Stage 2-backstop, time limited to, say, 3 years
    Stage 3-chaos if don't do something within, say, 3 years.

As opposed to people trying to use this as an excuse never to do anything. Or saying we should delay stage 1 by 2 years.

And stop reading the Mail and the Express-can't be good for your blood pressure :)
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Of course it is.

Stage 1-withdrawal agreement
    Stage 2-backstop, time limited to, say, 3 years
    Stage 3-chaos if don't do something within, say, 3 years.

As opposed to people trying to use this as an excuse never to do anything. Or saying we should delay stage 1 by 2 years.

And stop reading the Mail and the Express-can't be good for your blood pressure :)
    Stage 2 is the transition period.
    Stage 3 is the backstop.
    The backstop is only meant to come into play if no agreement on trade has been reached by the end of the transition period.
    So how could you time limit it, when it is impossible to know how long a deal will take to negotiate, or even if a deal is ever reached?

The arguments over time limiting don't really stand up.

Why would the EU want to keep us in the backstop for longer than necessary, when we would have Single Market Access, remain in the Customs Union, with no Freedom of Movement, and no annual financial contribution?

Time limiting would surely provide more uncertainty, and another cliff edge?