You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Brexit

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,052

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

madprof said:

HAYSIE said:

Brexit: More than half a million sign petition demanding Article 50 is revoked and UK stays in EU
    Petition to scrap withdrawal process attracts more signatures than no-deal petition within hours

More than half a million people have signed a petition urging the government to revoke Article 50 and remain in the European Union amid continuing Brexit turmoil.
    Hundreds of thousands of people offered their support to the petition on Wednesday night as Theresa May was forced to beg Brussels for a delay to Britain’s exit from the bloc.

“The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people',” the petition’s organiser Margaret Anne Georgiadou wrote.

“We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now for remaining in the EU. A People’s Vote may not happen – so vote now.”

By Thursday morning, the petition had garnered more than 550,000 signatures, eclipsing the 370,000 a petition launched in November calling for a no-deal Brexit has so far attracted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-petition-revoke-article-50-theresa-may-deal-extension-a8832851.html

By the time I had registered, it was almost 1m and counting with the website unable to cope...perhaps we will see the counter petition soon...??

The revoke one started a month ago.

The no deal one was started in November.

By Thursday morning, the petition had garnered more than 875,000 signatures, eclipsing the 370,000 a petition launched in November calling for a no-deal Brexit has so far attracted.
    That tells it's own story...Sorry I meant the petition from Brexiteers saying "but we won so we have to go through with it, even though we didn't know what was being voted for..."
    There is clear evidence in the polls that remain would win if a referendum was held now.
    Couldn't you therefore argue that it would be undemocratic not to have a referendum.
    People changing their minds is not undemocratic, nor a big deal, they do it all the time.
    Another referendum will just destroy whats left of any democracy left in this country yes lets have the referendum do you want the riots associated with it
    Do you want even further resentment to everyone moaning we have to remain
    Do you really want some of that blood on your hands for a precious 2nd referendum

Might i also add remain according to polls was going to win 1st referendum you Lost !!!!

we can have an extension only if the deal is agreed seems like EU just dont get it we are sick of them dictating
    It is strange how peoples minds work.

For us to be able to leave with a deal, the PM will have to bring the meaningful vote for the third, and maybe a fourth time.

If there wasn't a majority in favour of remaining, then leave would win again.

Although this time many people would have a much better understanding of what they were voting for.

I don't buy the riots or bloodshed.

There will be resentment whatever the outcome.

The EU are more likely to offer a longer extension if the meaningful vote is lost, rather than just accept no deal.
    Unfortunately Legally the date is set it just cant be changed and if it was i was it will most certainly see a court case

As for the riots mark my words it will make the poll tax riots look like a party

Brexit petition to revoke Article 50 tops a million signatures to become fastest growing in history

A petition calling for Brexit to be cancelled and for the government to revoke Article 50 has reached more than a million signatures.
    The number signing the online petition jumped dramatically overnight following Theresa May’s Downing Street speech on Wednesday, when she said she was not to be blamed for the crisis and planned to press ahead with exiting the EU.
    By 8pm on Thursday evening, more than 1.3million people had signed the petition, which calls for support to remain in the EU, surpassing the 100,000-signature threshold needed for it to be debated in Parliament.
    At several points, the government’s petitions’ website crashed as it struggled to cope with more than 2,000 signatures every minute.
    The Petitions Committee confirmed the rate of signing was the highest it had ever had to deal with and they were struggling to keep the site stable.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/petition-revoke-article-50-hits-600000-2000-signatures-added-per-minute-website-crashes-101837391.html
    edited March 2019
    Map shows where in the UK 'Stop Brexit' petition is most popular

An interactive map has emerged of the UK that shows where a viral petition to cancel Brexit is most popular.
    More than 1.3 million people (as of Thursday evening) have signed the petition asking the government to revoke Article 50 and keep the UK in the EU.
    At its peak, around 2,000 people were signing a minute, with the Government’s Petitions Committee confirming the rate of signing was the highest it had ever had to deal with and that they were struggling to keep the site stable.
    Momentum behind the petition grew as the Prime Minister made her way to Brussels on Thursday morning following a speech outside Downing Street on Wednesday in which she said people were “fed up” with the negotiations. “I’m on your side”, she told people.
    As of Thursday night, Mrs May was struggling to get EU leaders to agree to an extension.
    As of publication, the top 10 places where most number of people have signed the petition are:

Bristol West: 7,523
    Hornsey and Wood Greed: 6,494 Brighton Pavillion: 6,369 Cambridge: 6,323 Edinburgh North and Leith: 6,221 Islington North: 5,758 Hackney North and Stoke Newington: 5,559 Dulwich and West Norwood: 5,428 Holborn and St Pancras: 5,377 Lewisham, Deptford: 5,261
    You can check out the map, which was created by ODI Leeds, below:

Map shows where in the UK 'Stop Brexit' petition is most popular
    Stephanie Ayako Karaki Harris,Yahoo News UK 1 hour 33 minutes ago

The petition topped a million signatures early on Thursday afternoon.
    An interactive map has emerged of the UK that shows where a viral petition to cancel Brexit is most popular.
    More than 1.3 million people (as of Thursday evening) have signed the petition asking the government to revoke Article 50 and keep the UK in the EU.
    At its peak, around 2,000 people were signing a minute, with the Government’s Petitions Committee confirming the rate of signing was the highest it had ever had to deal with and that they were struggling to keep the site stable.
    Momentum behind the petition grew as the Prime Minister made her way to Brussels on Thursday morning following a speech outside Downing Street on Wednesday in which she said people were “fed up” with the negotiations. “I’m on your side”, she told people.
    As of Thursday night, Mrs May was struggling to get EU leaders to agree to an extension.
    As of publication, the top 10 places where most number of people have signed the petition are:
    Bristol West: 7,523
    Hornsey and Wood Greed: 6,494 Brighton Pavillion: 6,369 Cambridge: 6,323 Edinburgh North and Leith: 6,221 Islington North: 5,758 Hackney North and Stoke Newington: 5,559 Dulwich and West Norwood: 5,428 Holborn and St Pancras: 5,377 Lewisham, Deptford: 5,261
    You can check out the map, which was created by ODI Leeds, below:

The creator of the map, Stuart Lowe, data scientist at ODI Leeds, told Yahoo News UK: “I created it originally for the 2015 general election, and as petition.org has open data I could apply it to this petition.
    “The reason why it’s a hex map is to give equal weight to each constituency and to give it the best feel of what the country is like, because every MP should represent their area equally.
    The petition was created yesterday by Margaret Anne Georgiadou, who told the BBC: “I became like every other Remainer – very frustrated that we’ve been silenced and ignored for so long.
    “So I think now it’s almost like a dam bursting, because we’ve been held back in a sense, it’s almost like last chance saloon now.”

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/map-shows-uk-stop-brexit-petition-popular-203202748.html
    Brexit: Jeremy Corbyn refuses to rule out revoking Article 50 to stop no-deal

Jeremy Corbyn has refused to rule out revoking Article 50 as a last resort in order to stop a no-deal Brexit.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-jeremy-corbyn-refuses-to-rule-out-revoking-article-50-to-stop-no-deal/ar-BBV30va?ocid=spartanntp
    Petition
    Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    2,002,343 signatures

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
    EU sets April 12 Brexit date if Britain fails to back deal

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Britain could leave the European Union without a Brexit deal on April 12 if MPs fail next week to back Prime Minister Theresa May's agreement with Brussels, EU leaders said after a crisis summit in Brussels on Thursday.
    With just a week to go until Britain risks lurching out into legal limbo at midnight (2300 GMT) next Friday, EU leaders gave May an extra two months, until May 22, to leave if she wins next week's vote in parliament. But she failed to convince the other 27 that she would succeed, prompting a frantic seven hours of talks to find a way to get Britain out without seeming to push.
    The conclusion was a deal that suggested that Britain could, if May fails, come back and ask for a much longer delay. But this would be on the condition -- likely a major stumbling block -- that it takes part in elections to the new EU parliament on May 23. For it to do so, British election law says that would have to be announced six weeks beforehand, by April 12.
    If it does not call an EU election, Britain will be out.
    "The European Council agrees to an extension until 22 May 2019, provided the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons next week," the statement said.

If the Withdrawal Agreement is not approved by the House of Commons next week, the European Council agrees to an extension until 12 April 2019 and expects the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before this date for consideration by the European Council."

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/eu-summit-readies-brexit-may-next-week-095842609.html
    Petition to CANCEL Brexit hits 2MILLION signatures as Luvvies declare 'national emergency'
    ELITIST luvvies Hugh Grant, Annie Lennox and Jennifer Saunders are scrambling to cancel Brexit using a petition that has amassed an eye-watering two million signatures - though Leave voters are questioning its authenticity.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1103482/brexit-news-revoke-article-50-petition-hugh-grant-annie-lennox-brian-cox-theresa-may
    Brexit again leads many of the newspapers, after the EU agreed to postpone the UK's leaving date late on Thursday night.
    "One last chance" is the headline in the Times. "A three-week lifeline" for Theresa May is how the paper describes the agreement over the Brexit delay after hours of wrangling in Brussels last night.
    The paper claims EU leaders were unimpressed by the case presented by Theresa May, with one reported to have described the prime minister as "evasive", "without a plan" and "confused'.
    The Guardian also runs with the theme claiming: "May's appeal falls flat as EU seizes control of Brexit Date".
    It says the prime minister's failure to provide clarity on what would happen if she lost a further vote on her deal "provoked" EU leaders into taking matters into their own hands - in effect taking control of her future.
    And it is that future which occupies the Daily Telegraph as its headline proclaims: "Clock runs down on May".
    The paper reports that the chairman of the 1922 Committee of backbench MPs, Sir Graham Brady, visited Mrs May in Downing Street earlier this week to make it clear that a growing number of MPs believed she should stand down over her handling of Brexit.

The Daily Mail provides a crumb of comfort for Downing Street.
    Alongside the headline "May calls EU's bluff on no deal", it argues that the prime minister's "tough stance" in warning that the UK was ready to implement a no-deal Brexit next week forced EU leaders to be more conciliatory.
    Meanwhile, "battle plans drawn up for no deal" is the headline in the Express.
    The paper reports that Cabinet Office officials are preparing to launch a civil contingencies programme called Operation Yellowhammer to implement a new command structure across Whitehall.
    "Brextra time then penalties" is the Sun's headline.
    It suggests Theresa May endured "humiliation" after being forced to wait outside a summit room for hours as feuding EU leaders "carved up Brexit's timetable without her" over dinner.
    In fact, the paper claims, the PM was sent her own solitary meal on a tray as she waited.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47662203
    I haven’t marched in almost 50 years – but for my grandchildren's future, I’ll fight for a Final Say on Brexit
    I feel the urge once more to act, in that grand old tradition of taking to the streets to protest. Finally, there’s a chance for us to do right by the country, even if our prime minister won’t

It's been about 45 years since I last marched in protest. From 1969 to 1975, as a schoolgirl and then a student, I was at it all the time. Now, as a grandmother, I'm doing it again.
    But this Saturday, I'm getting up at the oldie-unfriendly time of 4am, to catch a coach from Newcastle to London (a coach! These days I travel by train first class with my senior rail card). I've been spurred to do more than just write to my MP, shout at the telly and listen to the Remainiacs podcast.

I'm marching for a second referendum, a people's vote. To me, it's the only realistic means we have of breaking the ridiculous deadlock over the EU, and doing something positive for future generations. I look at my four little grandchildren, aged between one and five, and I'm sad they won't have the wonderful choices to live, travel, work and study in Europe that I, and my now adult children, had.

I see our country becoming isolated and isolationist. The small-mindedness of the Leave movement has been utterly depressing. The way many older people have stuck doggedly to a right-wing, populist notion of Britain's ability to thrive alone is baffling. I wonder if they, or their even more elderly parents, have noticed that the health and social care services they now rely on, depend on European workers.

The UK needs to play its part in tackling climate change, global and national inequalities, and the migrant crisis – all of which will affect our grandchildren more than us, and, if the planet survives, their grandchildren in turn. We'll be more effective facing these challenges as part of the European Union, than going it alone.

As for effectiveness, I'm under no illusion that the march is any guarantee of immediate change. My student experiences taught me that. We lefties occupied the university admin building a couple of times. I can remember seeing secretaries walking away from their offices, carrying their huge typewriters to set up elsewhere, followed by spotty hoards in loon pants (what nuisances we must have been, and we left the place filthy, too).

The NUS conference of 1975 was one long drunken weekend, alongside a networking opportunity for embryo politicos whose names I saw pop up as MPs and ministers in the 90s. None of it made much difference, which is probably why my political engagement faded as work, children and other responsibilities took over for the next several decades.
    Yet now I feel the urge once more to act, in that grand old tradition of taking to the streets to protest. It's the principle of the thing – together with the slight, very slight, hope that a massive turnout will show the rest of the country, and the world, that we have to vote again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-put-it-to-the-people-march-peoples-vote-theresa-may-eu-a8833976.html
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,400
    HAYSIE said:

Is it me? I may have misunderstood some of the timelines...

If we stayed in the EU after May 23rd, weren't we obliged(legally) to participate in European elections?
    If I'm correct in this date scenario, why would TM request a deadline after this date? Which suggest the EU have been sensible in the date they have set
    Petition
    Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.
    The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.
    Sign this petition
    2,640,377 signatures

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Tony,

I do enjoy these round-ups of the morning paper headlines.

Thanks.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,310

Do you think this will be well-supported?

https://www.peoples-vote.uk/march

The worry to me is it could escalate into violence if Team Hate (the far-right, Tommy Robinson & Co etc) get involved.