You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,374
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Ok.

Are you generally in favour of lowering food standards?

Do you think that we should allow imports of hormone injected beef, gm crops, and chlorine washed chicken?

Do you think that JRM should be undermining the Government, and putting the future of the country in jeopardy, in pursuing his own aims?

Do you think that US companies should be allowed access to the NHS?

Do you now appreciate that the NHS is experiencing problems with drug shortages?

Do you now understand that stopping Freedom of Movement means the loss of the right to live and work in EU member countries?

No.

Maybe.

What's best for the country is subjective.

If you seriously think that will happen , you should prob join the conspiracy theory thread

Yes , but that is in the main due to panic stockpiling .

That depends entirely on what we negotiate with the EU post brexit. If we joined the EEA, or substantially replicated EEU arrangements (as Switzerland does) then relatively little would change.

What do you think JRMs motives were?
    What do you think ?

I was asking you as you are defending him?

I posted an article yesterday about JRM winding up the EU.

We need an extension to avoid leaving with no deal, which you seemed to be in favour of.

The EU 27 have to be unanimously in favour of allowing the extension.

If there is no extension we would leave with or without a deal by the middle of next week.

The chances of passing the WA by then, would appear to be slim.

So winding up the EU with stupid comments would not seem to be acting in the best interests of the country, and completely undemocratic.

I think my comments on his actions were pretty clear yet your response was,

What's best for the country is subjective.

I just wondered if you were standing by that response?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HAYSIE said:

Well hopefully you won't have to be sick of hearing the "same old nonsense " for too much longer, then you can move onto the next obsession ;)

Top ten laws?
    If you don't know , then Google it . Have no idea why you are asking me .
    You have a habit of doing this.

Yesterday you were conducting a lecture about EU laws, and the fact that it wasn't just about the voting.

I innocently asked if EU laws are so bad and we have had to accept them for the last 45 years, if you wouldn't mind pointing out the 10 laws that we have had to accept, that you would like to repeal as soon as we leave?
  • Options

Well hopefully you won't have to be sick of hearing the "same old nonsense " for too much longer, then you can move onto the next obsession ;)

Is that really your response.
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    Its quite pathetic its response to any difficult question why try to put its point across when an emoji will do. lol
    Like its stance on Tiny Timmy who it doesn't support it has a lot of things to say but according to it never voted on brexit how pathetic is that ?
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    Before I retire for the night , I would just like to thank my adoring fan club for the fun and friendly conversation this evening . Love to all, sleep tight .
  • Options

Theresa May's decision to reach out to Jeremy Corbyn over Brexit has provoked fury in her party, according to the Sunday Telegraph and the Observer.
    The Telegraph says Conservative donors have closed their wallets and Tory campaigners are refusing to fight local elections because of what they see as a betrayal by their leader.
    In an editorial, the paper says the prime minister's approach has gone from incompetent to dangerous, and asks why cabinet members and MPs are still tolerating what it calls "this travesty".
    The Observer says she has been warned by her mutinous MPs that they will move to oust her if the UK is forced to take part in European elections and extend its EU membership beyond June.
    The paper says MPs fear many Conservatives would boycott the poll, increasing the chances of the far-right and Nigel Farage's new Brexit party.
    Meanwhile, the Sunday Express says the Vote Leave campaign has asked to restart operations, while the Remain group, Best for Britain, backed by George Soros, is building up a "massive" campaign war-chest.

The Sunday Times reports that Mrs May is preparing to offer her Labour counterpart a "Boris lock," designed to make it difficult for any future Eurosceptic prime minister to overturn the agreement.
    Under the plan, the withdrawal bill would enshrine a customs union in law, the paper says.
    According to the Mail on Sunday, Mrs May's condition for agreeing to Labour's demand - meaning a humiliating climb down for her - is that it's called something else.

Michael Savage in the Observer, however, predicts cross-party talks will fail, with both parties preferring to allow talks to run their course - and then blame the other side for the lack of progress.
    He concludes the most likely scenario is that the UK will get a long extension of its EU membership with a get-out clause.
    In its editorial, the Sunday Times also predicts there will be no quick resolution, saying it's "now more likely than not" that Britain will take part in European parliament elections.
    However, newly appointed junior Brexit minister James Cleverly writes in the Sun on Sunday that the government is seeking to avoid this. He urges MPs to realise "there's no such thing as a perfect Brexit" and adds that "future governments will be able to make changes".

Future leaders?
    Several papers examine who might lead the Conservatives in the future.
    The Mail on Sunday and Sunday Times both discuss the possibility that Boris Johnson might get the backing of Amber Rudd and her 50-strong group of pro-Remain MPs.
    That alliance has apparently been codenamed "BAmber". However, the Times doesn't rule out a Michael Gove-Rudd alliance, or "MAmber".

The Mail also eyes up a possible replacement for Jeremy Corbyn, amid suggestions his health could force him to stand down. It reckons shadow business secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey is being seen as the next possible Labour leader.
    Meanwhile, the Sunday Times claims to have seen emails suggesting the Labour Party has failed to take disciplinary action against hundreds of members accused of anti-Semitism.
    The paper says the party's system for dealing with the complaints is bedevilled by delays, inaction and interference from the leader's office.
    Labour takes issue with the claims and insists it takes complaints of anti-Semitism extremely seriously.

Health inequality
    The union Unison's health leader, Sara Gorton, says in the Observer that ministers are so consumed by Brexit that the crisis over a growing pay gap in the NHS is being ignored.
    The paper reports that 100,000 NHS workers are being paid the minimum wage, as they're employed by private contractors which don't match match public sector pay rises.
    The Sunday People says they earn on average £1,600 less a year than staff employed directly by the health service.
    Meanwhile, the Sun says a gender pay report reveals the highest-paid male doctor earns close to £600,000 a year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-47842560
  • Options
    Brexit is ‘SLIPPING AWAY’ May in urgent warning UK heading for second referendum
    MINISTERS fear that Brexit is “slipping through their fingers” with the chances of a second referendum rapidly increasing

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1110816/brexit-news-EU-deal-UK-theresa-may-second-referendum
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Liam Fox 'joked that Emmanuel Macron, 41, was sleeping with his grandmother' in jibe at the French President's older wife, 65, after he tried to scupper Theresa May's Brexit 'flextension'

International Trade Secretary made the joke after Tuesday's cabinet meeting
    Government source said: 'Liam's remark was greeted with half-titters'
    A spokesman for Liam Fox said: ‘Dr Fox did not say this. It is untrue and offensive.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6894471/Liam-Fox-joked-Emmanuel-Macron-sleeping-grandmother-Brexit-extension-block.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Mark Carney still stands taller than Brexit’s lost leaders

While his predecessor and proponents of no-deal vanish into fantasy, the governor is clear about the dangers we face

The scene shifts to the other week, when I turned on my car radio halfway through a Today programme interview and found my self listening to what sounded like yet another Brexiter MP, or possibly a rightwing businessman, expatiating on the supposed wonders of a no-deal Brexit.
    A rightwing businessman? Yes, because although most of our leading businesses are issuing desperate warnings about the damage already being wrought by the mere prospect of Brexit, there are those, such as James Dyson and that ubiquitous Wetherspoon boss, who have been only too happy to join the evangelical band of Brexiter fantasists.

But no: it wasn’t one of them. It saddens me to say that the interviewee was none other than my old friend Mervyn, now Lord, King. The way in which he was laughing at the very idea that Brexit was economically damaging was an indirect riposte to his successor, Mark Carney, who has made no bones about the threats to this country’s economy – and who, to my mind, is playing a blinder as governor in these terrible times.
    I was planning to come to his support today, but Carney has come to his own support, quite rightly. In an interview with Sky News, while diplomatically not mentioning King by name, he lambasted his predecessor’s claim that the government could easily prepare for a no-deal Brexit by spending six months arranging interim trade agreements in accordance with WTO rules. “Just like that,” as the late comedian-conjuror Tommy Cooper used to say.
    Many Remainers harbour doubts about the way the EU operates. But economic self-harm is not the route to sensible reform
    We know what a Whitehall farce our ridiculous trade secretary Liam Fox has made of trying to arrange a handful of trade deals in the past three years. As Carney said of King’s proposal: “It’s absolute nonsense. It needs to be called out.”
    The Bank has been making preparations to ensure that, in the event of our crashing out of the EU, there won’t be a financial crisis. But Carney points out that this “doesn’t mean asset prices aren’t going to change [and] the currency isn’t going to change”. I infer that in this instance “change” is a euphemism for “fall” or even “collapse”.

In his poem The Lost Leader, Robert Browning wrote that great line: “Never glad confident morning again”. This of course applies to our two recent leaders, David Cameron and Theresa May. I fear with the former governor it is a case of “even-handed no more”.
    Many of us Remainers harbour doubts about the way the EU operates. So do our fellow Europeans, whose patience “the Brits” have stretched to the limit. But embarking on a policy of economic self-harm is hardly the route to sensible reforms in Europe. Moreover, with Trump trying to break up the EU so that he is in a better position to bully individual nations – a core part of his mercantilist strategy – and Putin sowing discord for geopolitical reasons, we could be playing into their hands if we left the union.
    One of the leading Remain thinktanks is the Centre for European Reform (CER), whose very name denotes an acceptance that all is not right with the EU. But its work shows that leaving is not the answer.
    Even before the calamity that almost certainly awaits us if King, Jacob Rees-Mogg et al have their way, the CER finds that in the period from the referendum on 23 June 2016 to December 2018, the UK economy became 2.5% smaller than it would have been if we had voted to Remain. The CER states: “The knock-on hit to the public finances is £19bn per annum – or £360m a week.” Does £360m a week remind you of another figure? That’s right: one of the many lies of the Leave campaign was that the NHS would benefit by £350m a week.

Brexit uncertainty meant, as the CER says, that “the UK missed out on the global mini-boom in 2017 and 2018, with nearly all advanced economies bar Britain experiencing faster growth than they had previously. Brexit will curb growth in the future because trade and investment with the EU will fall.”
    It is not difficult to agree with the former governor that Britain’s political class appears to have suffered “a collective nervous breakdown”, but Dr King’s cure is not the answer.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/07/mark-carney-stands-taller-brexits-lost-leaders
  • Options
  • Options
    Brexit’s negative effects are not ‘yet to come’ – leaving the EU has already left Britain crippled for good
    The ceaseless discussion about custom unions and single markets masks the devastating loss of UK power and influence that has already occurred

Future historians will look back at Britain in the age of Brexit and seek to explain why its people reduced their power and influence in the world in the belief that they were doing the exact opposite.
    But historians will have to move quickly if they are to have a say because the most important consequences of Brexit are already with us. People do not see this because UK membership of the EU is wrongly discussed as an economic issue when it is primarily a political one.

This is a traditional mistake by the British who have been making it with varying degrees of intensity ever since the French politician Robert Schumann put forward his plan for the French-German Coal and Steel Community on 9 May 1950 – a pact that eventually turned into the EU. Enhancing the political power of European states, particularly France and Germany, was always the chief objective.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-britain-theresa-may-eu-influence-power-a8857231.html
  • Options
    Brexit: 80 Labour MPs demand Corbyn makes Final Say referendum his ‘bottom line’ in crisis talks with Tories
    Ten shadow ministers among MPs telling Labour leader it would be 'untenable' for party not to insist on fresh public vote

Theresa May’s hopes of securing a cross-party Brexit deal capable of being passed by parliament have been dealt a blow after more than 80 Labour MPs warned Jeremy Corbyn that he must make a fresh referendum a red line during crisis talks with the government.
    In a move that will also pile pressure on the Labour leader, the MPs said a public vote on any Brexit deal passed by the Commons should be Mr Corbyn’s bottom line during negotiations with Ms May’s team and warned that failure to insist on another referendum would be “untenable”.

The signatories include 10 shadow ministers and several prominent supporters of Mr Corbyn, including former shadow cabinet minister Kate Osamor and shadow Treasury minister Clive Lewis.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-labour-jeremy-corbyn-referendum-eu-deal-theresa-may-mps-a8858266.html
  • Options
    Three quarters of Corbyn’s constituents back Final Say on Brexit, poll reveals, with Labour leader under pressure from party to secure new referendum
    Fresh data suggests 58 per cent of British public now want second referendum

Three quarters of Jeremy Corbyn’s own constituents back a Final Say referendum on Brexit, new polling has revealed, as the Labour leader faces pressure from within his parliamentary party to back a second vote.
    A nationwide survey of 9,500 people conducted by campaign group Right to Vote found 58.1 per cent who expressed a view, now want another public vote on the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union.

Polling found high levels of support for the idea in London, including in Mr Corbyn’s Islington North seat, where 75 per cent of those polled backed a Final Say.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-brexit-final-say-second-referendum-poll-constituents-survey-islington-north-a8853841.html
  • Options

Brexit will go on for years.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

tomgoodun said:

Good Afternoon
    Having been an occasional poster, and avid reader of this thread I must say it’s sad the last few pages seem to be getting more and more personal insults.
    I would like to contribute but tbh, as has been pointed out to me I’m far too emotionally fragile 😊, maybe others feel the same way.
    Hope things turn out well for the country post Brexit.
    This ‘Remoaner’ thing, is it just people who voted remain who are moaning about the current state of all things Brexit, or are those who voted Leave complaining also? Personally think both sides are, so why the emphasis on Remain voters as moaning, is it because it slips easily off the tongue?

Agreed. Why the hostility?
    We all have our own opinions - as we should.
    That would be because up and down the country , people have strong opinions about the subject and the divisiveness is widening because of the superior , smug and scaremongering attitude of remoaners . Even when it's all over , there will be clucks of remainers tutting and moaning in the corners of civilisation , whilst everyone looks on in pity . ;)
    If we ever leave.
    Oh we will , and that is something , you will have to get over .
    Is that your considered opinion?
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,354

Unfortunately Madprof can't help but follow me around this forum getting in dig after dig and snidely insult after insult . He uses standing up up for other people who don't need his help as an excuse to do this . I view it quite clearly as a form of bullying which I'm certainly not going to allow to pass without reply . It's fairly simple really , if he desists from this odious behaviour as he has promised before , then there will be no need for any further interaction and no need for me to defend myself . I don't hold out much hope in him being able to keep his word .

When you choose to post messages with the words/inferences you choose to use they become public and are therefore viewed.

Therefore if I read the forum posts regularly, by implication I will read your many posts(not 'follow' you around').

You need to go back to my first post directed towards you which was suggesting that your chosen style of publicly embarrassing someone's grammar, spelling and typing ability was not appropriate. From this point you have chosen to continue to demean people, which I continue to consider unacceptable- and yes I can be offended for others

At some point I did tire of this approach and stated-not promised- I would withdraw from this style of debate. As previously posted I also accept I have also put up comments which,on reflection were also not appropriate,just choosing to reflect back your style of post.( I'm slightly disappointed that I lowered myself to this level of debating)

As others have stated, I neither knew(nor care) that you have previously been banned from posting on this forum.

I will now follow an alternative course of action
  • Options
    RemainerRemainer Member Posts: 23
    The Leave campaign in my opinion was very well run. Great slogans (albeit mostly lies and with no substance behind any of it). Well targeted advertising (using dodgy money), preying on people's fears and prejudices. As a result Leave won by many voters making an emotional rather than logical decision. Since then it's been downhill as voters had been sold a fantasy. Brexit, in any form, is undeliverable without making us worse off. This has to be one of the worse decision this country has ever made in my opinion.
    It was far too complex a decision for the average voter. I mean my knowledge of the workings of the EU and the potential impacts of leaving has increased ten fold in the last couple of years and I'm just scratching the surface.
    My job is in chemical distribution so I know about importing and exporting worldwide and if we leave with No Deal the sh*t really will hit the fan for the supply chain. I just count my lucky stars that Chris Grayling is in control if it all goes sour!