You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

SPT Glasgow. If you hope to qualify, please read this.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,288

Morning all.

Sky Poker have made some welcome changes to how you qualify for SPT Glasgow.

Firstly, there are no longer separate qualification routes for Day 1A or 1B. If you qualify, that's it, you can play EITHER day, whatever best suits you. Just turn up on your preferred day (assuming you have qualified) & that's it, you are sorted.

Also note.....

Comments

• Options

1. SPT Glasgow satellites will run from Monday 3rd September and will run until Sunday 30th September

2. By playing in the SPT Glasgow satellites players have the opportunity of winning a seat at the SPT Glasgow event from 12th - 14th October 2018.

3. Each player is eligible to win up to a maximum of 4 seats for SPT Glasgow. These can be used for Day 1a and Day 1b at a maximum of 2 per day.

4. Any seat won through satellites not used during the SPT Glasgow event will be forfeit.
  • Options

These changes mean the SPT Glasgow Lobby currently looks a bit odd, but don't worry about that, it's just a means of getting round some software roadblocks.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    This is important, too.

As far as SPT Glasgow is concerned, "sats for cash" DOES NOT EXIST.

You can enter & then re-enter on Day 1a, & the same applies to Day 1B. And you can carry your largest stack through to the Sunday. So, assuming you can be in Glasgow the Friday AND Saturday, you are fine to win up to 4 seats via satellites.

If you can only be in Glasgow for 1 of the 2 opening days (the Saturday, presumably), there's no point winning more than 2 seats, as anything above 2 will NOT transfer into cash or be carried forward to a future SPT.

To be absolutely clear, players will NOT get cash for any seats they win that they don't need or don't use, & they cannot be carried forward to a future SPT.

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,357
    Hi Tikay

Not a question, just an observation

If I've understood if correctly...

I get why the changes have been made- just to stop people playing to make money and get more semi winners to the tournaments from each day, e.g. I won 6 seats for 1 SPT so in principle made some money....

However, if I do the analysis of the number of satellites I entered to try to win these 6 seats, the finances stack up in favour of Sky- in the case of most people playing multiple satellites

In my case; normally 4 seats is my target- 2 to play, 1 to fund transport/accommodation and 1 to cover the costs of my entry. Also if i did win 4 seats, when I'm at the event I might make the decision to rebuy on both days as in principle, I've had that rebuy cost as cash

It would be an interesting analytical exercise for Sky to do AFTER the Glasgow event to measure the no of entries per satellites-before and after this change- to see if it achieves the desired results..more people winning seats and attending these great fun events and less cash paid out compared to the income received for multiple sat entries- or any other factors that have cause SKy to make these significant changes

In my case once I've been fortunate to win 2 seats, thats it..I won't play any more sats so Sky will have loss of daily income and I'm not as prolific player of all sats as some but I play them every day!

I'm assuming if I can continue to play the lower value sats to try win more than 1 and to cash out additional semi final places at £48?

Thoughts?
  • Options
    ckdckd Member Posts: 1,386
    i take it the no sat for cash is only for the spt, but are sky looking to do this to all games anytime soon or will it just be for the spt games.
  • Options
    Sorry to hog the space

The other organisational factor to consider?

With the one seat winners being able to use that seat either day..the logistics of knowing(or not knowing) who will be coming on Friday can only cause consternation..how many dealers/tables?

That's enough from me!
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,539
    Good morning messenger TK.

This no " cash for sats" is an Interesting devopment.

I thought , and now maybe wrongly, that the money generated by players at the tables playing the SATs for cash was good for the finances of the game and was welcome. When ive seen debates on it, ive always got this impression.

I wonder what effect this will have on micro sats as players having won seats now maybe wont be playing.

Put me down for 2 packs of popcorn please.
  • Options
    ckd said:

i take it the no sat for cash is only for the spt, but are sky looking to do this to all games anytime soon or will it just be for the spt games.

As far as I am aware, this is limited to SPT Glasgow only at present. I'm not aware of any plans for it to become the norm. If I had to guess, it might apply to the SPT Grand Final, too.

The logic was driven, I believe, by the huge admin caused when players transfer back & forth between 1A & 1B, which was a perfect pain to manage.
  • Options
    salted for me please, mummy
  • Options
    mumsie said:

Good morning messenger TK.

This no " cash for sats" is an Interesting devopment.

I thought , and now maybe wrongly, that the money generated by players at the tables playing the SATs for cash was good for the finances of the game and was welcome. When ive seen debates on it, ive always got this impression.

I wonder what effect this will have on micro sats as players having won seats now maybe wont be playing.

Put me down for 2 packs of popcorn please.

I'm not sure 2 packs of popcorn will be enough, tbh.

See my previous reply though...

"The logic was driven, I believe, by the huge admin caused when players transfer back & forth between 1A & 1B, which was a perfect pain to manage."
  • Options
    madprof said:

Hi Tikay

Not a question, just an observation

If I've understood if correctly...

I get why the changes have been made- just to stop people playing to make money and get more semi winners to the tournaments from each day, e.g. I won 6 seats for 1 SPT so in principle made some money....

However, if I do the analysis of the number of satellites I entered to try to win these 6 seats, the finances stack up in favour of Sky- in the case of most people playing multiple satellites

In my case; normally 4 seats is my target- 2 to play, 1 to fund transport/accommodation and 1 to cover the costs of my entry. Also if i did win 4 seats, when I'm at the event I might make the decision to rebuy on both days as in principle, I've had that rebuy cost as cash

It would be an interesting analytical exercise for Sky to do AFTER the Glasgow event to measure the no of entries per satellites-before and after this change- to see if it achieves the desired results..more people winning seats and attending these great fun events and less cash paid out compared to the income received for multiple sat entries- or any other factors that have cause SKy to make these significant changes

In my case once I've been fortunate to win 2 seats, thats it..I won't play any more sats so Sky will have loss of daily income and I'm not as prolific player of all sats as some but I play them every day!

I'm assuming if I can continue to play the lower value sats to try win more than 1 and to cash out additional semi final places at £48?

Thoughts?

I'm very pleased that was "am observation, not a question", as it means I don't need to reply to it. ;)

I'm not at all sure this is correct though;

"I get why the changes have been made- just to stop people playing to make money and get more semi winners to the tournaments from each day, e.g. I won 6 seats for 1 SPT so in principle made some money"

I think the change was made for other reasons, which I have already explained.

I don't know the answer to the £48 semi-final question, but I have asked Upstairs & will let you know once they get back to me.
  • Options
    madprof said:

Hi Tikay

Thoughts?

I'm told by the Office that you can still win multiple semis on the same night to get cash.
  • Options
    Easily solved- don't allow ANY transfers and stick to it, no matter the vast array or reasons given which solves you the headache of people pleading to your good nature!

These changes are wider ranging than the admin issue....a debate to rumble on once the financial implications are known-AFTER the event in Glasgow.

I still look forward to playing on SkyPoker and these sats as the platform is the best one for me and the peeeps I play against are great fun and the chat 'culture' is appropriate and tells me that the people who abuse are taken out!
  • Options
    Hey TK

sorry posts are out of sync...thanks for the reply re: multiple semis/cash....as a poor pensioner...booohoo..I might try to make my accommodation/transport costs this way!!
  • Options
    Final thought...Just realised this might save me a fortune! If I only win 1 seat( I'd still be happy about that)...fly Saturday morning instead of Thursday, 2 nights accommodation, beer,food etc etc

I think Sky should also have consulted Scottish parliament regarding the impact on their national economy? Imagine if Matt Bates/Chicknmelt/CPFC/EssexPhil and many more didn't come up on Thursday before...the loss of alcohol sales would be catastrophic!
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    have I got this right you can only win a maximum 4 seats ---2 for day 1A and 2 for day 1B ? ….. if you do not need to use the 2nd seat on 1A you lose it and the same on 1B so where has the £400 plus gone it cannot be in prize pool as you would need to reregister and if you make day 2 on 1A with the first buy in, the 2nd 1A seat should not even be part of the prize pool so where has the money gone … if the suits upstairs as you call them feel things need to change then so be it ..maybe they should of changed it to only one seat per day only not 2 per day as this seems strange to say use it or lose it ...I agree if you win a seat you should play it and not change it to another date or change from 1A to 1B
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,369
    Tikay10 said:

1. SPT Glasgow satellites will run from Monday 3rd September and will run until Sunday 30th September

2. By playing in the SPT Glasgow satellites players have the opportunity of winning a seat at the SPT Glasgow event from 12th - 14th October 2018.

3. Each player is eligible to win up to a maximum of 4 seats for SPT Glasgow. These can be used for Day 1a and Day 1b at a maximum of 2 per day.

4. Any seat won through satellites not used during the SPT Glasgow event will be forfeit.

This is, frankly, really poor.

We can all have differing views on sats for cash. Frankly, I think that the satellites will fail to run once the usual suspects are through, but that's Sky's problem.

I was in 2 minds as to whether to qualify for Glasgow. This makes up my mind for me-without the opportunity to win cash to pay for my rail fare (£100-plus) and hotel (ditto) it makes no financial sense to play.

I will not be the only person who feels that way. That's life-Sky are making a commercial decision there. Good luck trying to meet the guarantee, mind.

The bit that is madness is number 4. This goes against what every other tour is doing in the UK. Every other tour may have, say, 50-100 qualifiers. It allows people to earn qualifying tickets, and play whatever event they like. So, for example, I could play a qualifier this month, and play at Brighton next year.

This has nothing to do with the software limitations on Sky. Grosvenor, for example, have a manual list of ticket-holders. so, for example, had 2 tickets for the last Vic 25/25, only used 1. I didn't forfeit the other 1 because I didn't bust out.

So-where are we? Sky have a choice-to arrange for unused tickets to roll over, or to pocket the money. I for one will not play a single SPT qualifier while number 4 above is in place.

Popcorn!
  • Options
    IrishRoseIrishRose Member Posts: 1,663
    HANSON said:

have I got this right you can only win a maximum 4 seats ---2 for day 1A and 2 for day 1B ? ….. if you do not need to use the 2nd seat on 1A you lose it and the same on 1B so where has the £400 plus gone it cannot be in prize pool as you would need to reregister and if you make day 2 on 1A with the first buy in, the 2nd 1A seat should not even be part of the prize pool so where has the money gone … if the suits upstairs as you call them feel things need to change then so be it ..maybe they should of changed it to only one seat per day only not 2 per day as this seems strange to say use it or lose it ...I agree if you win a seat you should play it and not change it to another date or change from 1A to 1B

I have to say I find it very wrong that if you win 2 seats for day 1 but manage not to be ko'd that you just lose the £220 you should have had in reserve? Surely in that instance the 2nd seat should be paid to you?

I admit to being one of the people who usually play the sats hoping to win multiple seats. Usually I actually need to win 4 of the seats as I usually get ko'd early days and like to re-enter - but would probably baulk at the idea of paying an extra £220 for the 2nd entry if I hadn't already "won" it. I actually like to try to win an extra seat to pay for travel and hotel etc as I'm not a professional player so like the idea of a weekend away for a social game - but I don't think I'll want to pay out nearly £1000 (assuming travel and 4 seats). I could go to Vegas for a week for that in February and still have some spending money!

Think I'll reluctantly give Glasgow a miss this time and just consider either nearer to home games in future or playing for packages including hotel/travels costs elsewhere.

Good luck to all in qualifying though - I'm sure Glasgow will be a blast x
  • Options
    HANSONHANSON Member Posts: 897
    surely this thread should of been in the sky poker tour thread, not the poker chat thread its like it was hoped to be over looked by some