You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Diary of a determined player

Comments

• peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634

Such a broad spot that ultimately the answer will be 'it depends'.

If you're not being results orientated and you genuinely thought in game that there is a ''very high chance'' you're up against AA then the call is baffling based on that logic and thought process.

I digress...

Why would you think it's a very high chance he has aces?
    Is this how someone in the average player pool on Sky would usually play aces?

Holding AK blocks AA.
    3betting all in here with AA isn't generally deemed a standard play (another discussion entirely)
    Although you can't rule out aces, I think there are other much more likely hands in his range, of which AK will play pretty well/ok against some of that range.

Obligated to call? I don't think so as you're far from pot committed.
    You've put in the minimum and still have plenty behind if you folded. I'm not saying you should fold; spots like this will often depend on notes/history/game flow etc and getting AK all in pre from under a 40bb will likely never be a terrible decision in a vacuum (esp in a turbo).

But you also don't cover for a bounty and if you think you have a soft table then you might opt to take slightly less high variance spots. Although in this instance you were crushed, I think you'll often find yourself in a flip facing this action, and sometimes you'll crush and sometimes you'll be crushed.

Out of interest and touching on from the start of this post, if the player had JJ and you win with that K on the river, do you still post the hand?

Good question regarding aces. So for starters, I absolutely did think "he must have aces" as soon as the shove was made, so the comment is not results orientated. I'm struggling to understand why you think this is "baffling" because simply put, I might be wrong about AA. He certainly has other cards in his range that I would want to play with AK against. Note: I am not saying my call was right, I am just saying that me making that decision should not be baffling.

I think a lot of range assessment is sub-conscious, at least for me. I didn't have him pegged as a tight player, but my 'instinct' was telling me his range is extremely narrow. Instinct is totally the wrong word here, but I am not sure how else to describe it. I think your brain sometimes picks up on habits, patterns etc. without you necessarily realising it - but that's a whole other topic.

Your analysis of the play and dynamics is extremely interesting. Changing the frequency of high variance action depending on the strength of the table isn't something I had previously considered, very insightful point. Additionally, I can totally see you're right that I am not "basically obligated" to call this spot. Thanks!

No, I would not have posted the hand in that situation. AA vs AK happens sometimes, and you're going to lose the majority of the time, I do get that.
    Q1 2021:
    Tournaments: 132
    Buy-Ins: £936.08
    Cashes: £1196.15
    FT's: 13
    Wins: 4

I am on a bit of a downward spiral at the moment results wise. I don't feel like I am playing any differently to usual, but I just can't seem to build up a stack in any game. Can't complain too much with January going so well though. Going to take a short break until next week.
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    peter27 said:

If you're not being results orientated and you genuinely thought in game that there is a ''very high chance'' you're up against AA then the call is baffling based on that logic and thought process.

I digress...

Holding AK blocks AA.
    3betting all in here with AA isn't generally deemed a standard play (another discussion entirely)
    Although you can't rule out aces, I think there are other much more likely hands in his range, of which AK will play pretty well/ok against some of that range.

You've put in the minimum and still have plenty behind if you folded. I'm not saying you should fold; spots like this will often depend on notes/history/game flow etc and getting AK all in pre from under a 40bb will likely never be a terrible decision in a vacuum (esp in a turbo).

But you also don't cover for a bounty and if you think you have a soft table then you might opt to take slightly less high variance spots. Although in this instance you were crushed, I think you'll often find yourself in a flip facing this action, and sometimes you'll crush and sometimes you'll be crushed.

Out of interest and touching on from the start of this post, if the player had JJ and you win with that K on the river, do you still post the hand?

Good question regarding aces. So for starters, I absolutely did think "he must have aces" as soon as the shove was made, so the comment is not results orientated. I'm struggling to understand why you think this is "baffling" because simply put, I might be wrong about AA. He certainly has other cards in his range that I would want to play with AK against. Note: I am not saying my call was right, I am just saying that me making that decision should not be baffling.

I think a lot of range assessment is sub-conscious, at least for me. I didn't have him pegged as a tight player, but my 'instinct' was telling me his range is extremely narrow. Instinct is totally the wrong word here, but I am not sure how else to describe it. I think your brain sometimes picks up on habits, patterns etc. without you necessarily realising it - but that's a whole other topic.

Your analysis of the play and dynamics is extremely interesting. Changing the frequency of high variance action depending on the strength of the table isn't something I had previously considered, very insightful point. Additionally, I can totally see you're right that I am not "basically obligated" to call this spot. Thanks!

No, I would not have posted the hand in that situation. AA vs AK happens sometimes, and you're going to lose the majority of the time, I do get that.
    It just all seems so muddled....maybe you view things in too linear a way?

'He must have aces, but he could have other cards'.

It's baffling 2fold; why you immediately thought 'he must have aces', and then after having that reaction to then call it off with AK.....after only committing the absolute minimum.

AK vs AA at most stack depths is about as standard as it gets, but if I really, genuinely thought someone had aces then the call with AK doesn't really make much sense.

I think that spot in general is a little to broad anyway as often decisions like that, which could really go either way, will likely come down to in game reads and game flow etc etc

In a vacuum I think calling there is absolutely fine and would lean more towards call than fold.

peter27 said:

I digress...

Holding AK blocks AA.

It just all seems so muddled....maybe you view things in too linear a way?

'He must have aces, but he could have other cards'.

It's baffling 2fold; why you immediately thought 'he must have aces', and then after having that reaction to then call it off with AK.....after only committing the absolute minimum.

AK vs AA at most stack depths is about as standard as it gets, but if I really, genuinely thought someone had aces then the call with AK doesn't really make much sense.

I think that spot in general is a little to broad anyway as often decisions like that, which could really go either way, will likely come down to in game reads and game flow etc etc

In a vacuum I think calling there is absolutely fine and would lean more towards call than fold.
    I think this topic is getting a little muddled because of my original statement.

Although I thought "he must have aces", that is not a literal thought process. As you know, it would be impossible for me to literally know what he must have. It was a 'poker colloquial' usage of the word must.

For me to have folded AK there I would need a really strong read. Apparently his 3-bet following my UTG raise was not a strong enough signal. As per your conclusion, I think that's fine. I have the same thought that calling there is fine, and I would favour that over folding. Sometimes you're just supposed to go broke :#

Thanks for providing some clarity, your comments helped.
    Q1 2021:
    Tournaments: 159
    Buy-Ins: £1086.63
    Cashes: £1338.92
    FT's: 17

I did take a break of 4/5 days after my last profit update, then came back with mixed results. I think my good form at the start of the year raised my expectations and now I am getting a little impatient with my decisions which is causing me to make bad choices at the tables. On the plus side, at least I am aware of this.

I will be hitting the tables hard this weekend so let's see how much progress I can make. If results are poor then I may need another small break in all honesty - as the frustration builds up.

As a side note, I have been playing a few of these games away from Sky Poker. I love Sky Poker for the community, but honestly there is one poker site out there who have software that is miles ahead of any other company - and it's an absolute pleasure to play over there. I don't know if I would be allowed to mention a rival poker site on these forums, but you guys likely know who I am referring too. Still playing six-max over there too. I want to make this format of poker my speciality.

Let's hope for some Good Games this weekend ;)
    edited March 2021
    Would love to get some input from this hand in the mini a few days ago.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Fuzzbuzz09Small blind2000.002000.00210015.00
    BLUEBIRDBig blind4000.006000.0050687.50
    Your hole cards
    • K
    Ironpump1Fold
    lions86Fold
    peter27Raise8000.0014000.0059811.50
    PARISSFold
    Fuzzbuzz09Fold
    BLUEBIRDRaise8000.0022000.0042687.50
    peter27Call4000.0026000.0055811.50
    Flop
    • K
    BLUEBIRDBet16000.0042000.0026687.50
    peter27All-in55811.5097811.500.00
    BLUEBIRDAll-in26687.50124499.000.00
    peter27Unmatched bet13124.00111375.0013124.00
    BLUEBIRDShow
    • J
    • K
    peter27Show
    • K
    Turn
    River
    peter27WinTwo Pairs, Kings and 8s111375.00124499.00
    Generally speaking, I am happy to raise the king suited hand pre-flop from the CO, but with my stack size of 17BB's when the hand began, I can certainly see an argument for folding and waiting for a better spot. To be honest, I can also see that a shove could have been possible here too - but I do think my raise was the correct decision overall, with the fold being the second option. 17BB's feels a bit too much to be shoving with king high. Thoughts?

As for on the flop, I don't see any point flat calling there, when the opponent bet, the money was always going to end up going in anyway.
    Had a fair few decent results this weekend, but just busted the mini in 16th place and really frustrated.

Felt really out of my depth 20 minutes after the bubble burst when most were 30-40BB's deep. Haven't felt like that for ages. Didn't know if I should be playing loose or tight or what. Poor. I'm annoyed.
    I took a few weeks off after my results through March were poor. In fact, that's not true. Those results were okay. The issue was that I had such a good January & February, that just performing okay in March became hugely frustrating. It was annoying to be unable to match my good early year form.

Anyhow, I will be playing a little bit tonight on another site.

Q1 2021:
    Tournaments: 194
    Buy-Ins: £1308.84
    Cashes: £1533.50
    FT's: 23
    Q2 2021:
    Tournaments: 2
    Buy-Ins: £10.89
    Cashes: £64.14
    FT's: 0
    Wins: 1

0 FT's, 1 Win. Very odd situation. That's due to the timed tournaments. Finished in 1st place, but the tournament ended with over six players.
    edited April 2021
    Decent results over the last few days without ever being spectacular. Nevertheless, I feel that since I took a break my play has taken another significant step forward. I'm getting more into the habit of having a set thought process each hand;

- What range of hands could they have.
    - What range of hands could I have.
    - Who's more likely to be ahead.
    - What will I do on the next street, or if they raise.

Even in situations where I immediately know what my action is, I am still taking a few seconds to think things through - potentially to the annoyance of other players at the table, but oh well.

Feeling encouraged. I sense that a big result - such as biking a mini - is not too far away. Hopefully.

Q2 2021:
    Tournaments: 14
    Buy-Ins: £109.58
    Cashes: £166.65
    FT's: 3

Random playing style question, would love to get some feedback. If you choose to raise AJs UTG, and get re-raised from the HJ, what's your next action assuming the rest of the table folds? It feels likely to be behind which puts me off the 3-bet, but equally just flatting really narrows down your own range :/
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,860

@peter27

Players may be able to give you a better answer if you can state;

BH or vanilla?

What stage of tournament. (How many left, how many paid etc)

Effective stacks.

Any history on Villain?

Obviously, it's assumed it's an MTT.

Tikay10 said:

@peter27

Players may be able to give you a better answer if you can state;

BH or vanilla?

What stage of tournament. (How many left, how many paid etc)

Effective stacks.

Any history on Villain?

Obviously, it's assumed it's an MTT.

Fair point. It was a hypothetical question, so let's go;

Standard tournament, first hand.
    Inconsolable.

edited April 2021
    peter27 said:

Inconsolable.

Now that I have calmed down, a bit more detail on this.

Over the last few weeks, I think I have taken my game to a much higher level. Getting through the first satellite, and dominating over 75% of second satellite with a huge chip lead (see below) made me think that qualifying for the $100k gte was going to be my reward for the hours of work I have been putting in to raise my game. My reaction was also exaggerated by the fact that I had not earned any income at all in well over 10 tournaments. However, I did finish 2nd in a turbo bounty hunter last night, so all is well in the World again.

It has come up a few times now where I have identified blowing a huge chip lead as a weakness in my game. However, having reviewed the hands, this time I'm not beating myself up. I found myself in some very unfortunate situations so I believe this instance to be more luck than capability. I did make mistakes of course, but overall I think I'm steadily improving.

Meanwhile, this was clearly my hardest decision of the tournament (look at my options).

edited April 2021
    Edited. I posted something here, but then changed my mind about what I wrote :D
    On a series of poor results at the moment. Totally card dead, took me 43 minutes just to hit a pair in the mini tonight. Struggling to keep the motivation up, but trying my best.

Q2 2021:
    Tournaments: 40
    Buy-Ins: £299.13
    Cashes: £291.48
    FT's: 5
    edited April 2021
    I min cashed the mini last night. It's the first time I have managed to cash in that tournament for a long time. Now that I think about it, this might well be my last ever cash in the mini, purely because in five billion years the sun's going to explode. Anyway ..

I really enjoyed that tournament, and felt like I was playing fantastically, even when I got seated on a super aggressive table. I did make two major errors including a misclick raise that I got away with. The other incident was where my opponent raised me on the river with a straight. Meanwhile, I had the flush, knew I was ahead. However, because I didn't want to make the tournament too easy by doubling up, I felt like flat calling was the best thing to do. What a moron! It was a total lapse of concentration. I remember thinking to myself "I should flat call this because he's likely hit his straight on the river", totally ignoring the fact I had a flush. ANYWAY ..

Having looked back through my hands from yesterday, I feel like I am leaking too many chips from the CO. I find myself in situations like this all too often.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Tinnazzz67Small blind150.00150.004187.50
    PaulzieBig blind300.00450.0010500.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    PRhack93Fold
    reecokiddFold
    peter27Raise600.001050.0013802.50
    Chelsea666Call600.001650.0020622.00
    Tinnazzz67Fold
    PaulzieCall300.001950.0010200.00
    Flop
    • A
    PaulzieCheck
    peter27Check
    Chelsea666Bet1462.503412.5019159.50
    PaulzieFold
    peter27Fold
    Chelsea666Muck
    Chelsea666Win1950.0021109.50
    Chelsea666Return1462.500.0022572.00
    This was in the mid-stages of the mini. I think my suited-king raise here is fine. Opted not to raise the flop three-way, although I would do around 50% of the time, then faced a bet and had to fold. That's what keeps happening. I raise the CO, and then have to fold to aggression when I miss. Maybe I should be upping the percentage I raise the flop, even when OOP?

Perhaps I am folding too quickly on the flop? I do have a backdoor flush draw there, and possibly ahead with the high-card king, so perhaps calling one street and re-evaluating would be correct. Any feedback welcome, really unsure on this one.
    It's getting increasingly difficult not to turn this thread into a moan-fest, but I have been running this diary for almost 31 months now, and have put in so many hours of work, but I just can not get a big score. On a dismal run right now, even though I believe I am playing better than ever.

It is a challenge to keep building myself back up after each disappointment. Struggling big time.

Q2 2021:
    Tournaments: 66
    Buy-Ins: £503.23
    Cashes: £395.68
    FT's: 5
    edited May 2021
    Q2 2021:
    Tournaments: 92
    Buy-Ins: £672.78
    Cashes: £620.34
    FT's: 7

I mentioned to a friend the other day that I am starting to consider giving up poker, and he asked me why. After thinking about it for a while, I explained that the "time investment to profit ratio" just isn't there right now. It's actually getting worse. I feel like I have improved significantly over the last 12 months, but my results do not show that to the extent I would have expected. I still can not seem to get a significant online score no matter what I do.

I guess my expectations of my results over 31 months into this diary were much higher. I have put a lot of time in, with little to show for it.

I am in a rut. I don't feel like I need a break, because I just had one recently. But equally, I am not sure what I need. Suggestions welcome.

In other news, the coach I was working with now has other commitments, so I might be on the lookout for a new one - if I decide to keep the torture on-going that is :|
  • FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    Your sharkscope looks much worse than it is because of shots that didn't go well. Your graph filtered for £11 and under is actually really solid. 20% total ROI lifetime and up £1400 over £1100 games. For 2021 your total ROI is 30% at these stake levels. If you are unhappy with these results you do not have realistic expectations as to what is attainable from poker.

Your 'dismal' run is a breakeven stretch of fewer than 180 games. That is a nothing sample, it just feels worse than it is because you play so few games a night. Some pros will blast through that many games in one week.