You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Biggest Downswing; How Long?

Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
Was reading a similar thread on 2p2 where people were throwing out pretty terrifying numbers about their MTT downswings on Stars - sometimes up to 1000 average buy-ins for huge-field tournaments! Got me wondering how bad peoples' worst downswings have been on Sky, where the field sizes are far smaller and the competition is relatively nice :)

Was thinking about MTTs but any game types welcome - have heard spins can be particularly brutal!

Would be great if any of the big guys could post - people who I've seen share comments on their swings in other threads (hope you don't mind me mentioning you) include @MattBates @rspca12 @FeelGroggy

Will kick things off: £750 at ABI 16 not even particularly bad numbers and nowhere near as bad as a variance calculator shows you could run over this sample. This one just hurt the most because of the length of time. Was playing reaaaallllllly low volume - studying hard during the week and thinking about strat 24/7, then only playing Sundays and getting wrecked :D Small sample but lasted around 4 months so felt way worse at the time, even though 'lol standard swing'

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Any scope experts know the best way to work this out?
  • Options
    MattBates said:

If you look at your overall graph and hover over the line to find the date of the high point and the same for the low point, then advanced search all results between those two dates
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    looking at it I have had a couple over 2k downswings, not sure how to filter though sorry
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    MattBates said:

I'd imagine trying to find that one tournament in 2011 where you failed to make the money must be like looking for a needle in a haystack ;)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,319

^^^^^

Ouch
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

MattBates said:

I'd imagine trying to find that one tournament in 2011 where you failed to make the money must be like looking for a needle in a haystack ;)
    Still haunts me now!
  • Options
    JJBinksJJBinks Member Posts: 440
    I think it'sover4you has a crusher group he runs maybe worth while popping in that if he has space (if you are not already a member)
    Might help with the down swing.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    I'm not a Sharkscope subscriber so I can't filter by a date range.

I'm currently in my biggest ever MTT downswing and am £540 down from the huge sample of 95 tourneys I've played since the start of November.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    I have certainly had some 2k downswings on Sky, though (I believe) nothing above that.

Elsewhere, I have had a 10k downswing in the past. And I believe that I have been very lucky that I have not (yet!) had a larger downswing.

Of course you have to look for leaks, talk to friends etc.

But you also have to realise that such downswings are inevitable. And you have to be prepared for them. Both financially and mentally. Or only play for fun...
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299

I'm not a Sharkscope subscriber so I can't filter by a date range.

I'm currently in my biggest ever MTT downswing and am £540 down from the huge sample of 95 tourneys I've played since the start of November.

Sorry to hear this but makes me and my current £ performance in 2019 feel a little better!!
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I have certainly had some 2k downswings on Sky, though (I believe) nothing above that.

Elsewhere, I have had a 10k downswing in the past. And I believe that I have been very lucky that I have not (yet!) had a larger downswing.

But you also have to realise that such downswings are inevitable. And you have to be prepared for them. Both financially and mentally. Or only play for fun...

Was the 10k live or online or mixture of both out of interest?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001

Essexphil said:

Entirely online.

I do not keep detailed records for live play. This is because I only ever play a live tournament if I have qualified for it online. Any cash won live tends to get spent on fun ;)
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299

Essexphil said:

See my Dues entry....my downswings/nett deficit pales into comparisons....
  • Options
    Ironpump1Ironpump1 Member Posts: 177
    Hi Angmar,

I have recently just had my worst losing period ever in poker I went down around 1k as seen on sharkscope below but it was actually more like 1.2k as it doesn't show rebuys (I fired around 8 bullets in the avenger in back to back weeks during this losing period) this is over a 100 game sample at an ABI of £18 which is only -55 buy ins, can you call it a downswing? I'm sure I have had a -£500 downswing with an ABI of £6 which is considerably worse.

During this I was running horrifically bad, never winning flips, never getting there, always getting sucked out on but most importantly I was playing super spewey and overly aggressive as a result which led to greater losses. I was definitely on tilt the whole week and I had a hard time managing my emotions.

I am very grateful to have had support from a great group of players in @Itsover4u 's study group this last week which has kept me going through the bad sessions. getting to see others do well and run deep in the group has been a great motivator for me to push through the rough patch.

In the past I have snooped around sharkscope looking for the top players losing periods to reassure me that it happens to everyone regardless of skill/talent for the game.

Best of luck at the tables dude, hope to see you playing soon.

Dean.

• Options
    Ironpump1 said:

Hi Angmar,

I have recently just had my worst losing period ever in poker I went down around 1k as seen on sharkscope below but it was actually more like 1.2k as it doesn't show rebuys (I fired around 8 bullets in the avenger in back to back weeks during this losing period) this is over a 100 game sample at an ABI of £18 which is only -55 buy ins, can you call it a downswing? I'm sure I have had a -£500 downswing with an ABI of £6 which is considerably worse.

During this I was running horrifically bad, never winning flips, never getting there, always getting sucked out on but most importantly I was playing super spewey and overly aggressive as a result which led to greater losses. I was definitely on tilt the whole week and I had a hard time managing my emotions.

I am very grateful to have had support from a great group of players in @Itsover4u 's study group this last week which has kept me going through the bad sessions. getting to see others do well and run deep in the group has been a great motivator for me to push through the rough patch.

In the past I have snooped around sharkscope looking for the top players losing periods to reassure me that it happens to everyone regardless of skill/talent for the game.

Best of luck at the tables dude, hope to see you playing soon.

Dean.

Great to hear Dean and all in all great results coming from the group! Bouncing ideas of each other is helping everyone improve and focus
  • Options
    miniman88miniman88 Member Posts: 134
    I'm currently on the worst run I've ever been on. The **** that's been happening to me the past 2 months, I've questioned whether it's mathematically possible haha but then yah realise how big a number 52! really is. The bad luck has spread to my life aswell, losing my phone the other day, it's like I'm cursed this year.

Anyway, my love for the game has slowly dwindled this year, majority of the roll has been took off and will be invested in my other ventures, I've left a bit on and if i run it up then I'm sure I'll grind the full schedule again, if not it's gg from me.
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    If you go to the stats tab on sharkscope you can see bankroll required... That's basically your biggest downswing.
  • Options

If you go to the stats tab on sharkscope you can see bankroll required... That's basically your biggest downswing.

Iv had bigger swings than the 1.6k it say I require
  • Options
    miniman88 said:

I'm currently on the worst run I've ever been on. The **** that's been happening to me the past 2 months, I've questioned whether it's mathematically possible haha but then yah realise how big a number 52! really is. The bad luck has spread to my life aswell, losing my phone the other day, it's like I'm cursed this year.

Anyway, my love for the game has slowly dwindled this year, majority of the roll has been took off and will be invested in my other ventures, I've left a bit on and if i run it up then I'm sure I'll grind the full schedule again, if not it's gg from me.

Welcome to my 2018 :(
  • Options
    BoxsterBoxster Member Posts: 4,461
    Sorry to hi-jack thread but is anybody having trouble displaying the SS graph using Chrome. It is all very compressed and illegible