You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Biggest Downswing; How Long?

Comments

• Options
    Ironpump1Ironpump1 Member Posts: 177

If you go to the stats tab on sharkscope you can see bankroll required... That's basically your biggest downswing.

Its not actually very accurate that, mine still says my required bankroll is £329 where you can clearly see on my graph i've had a much larger downswing.
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited March 2019
    hmm, I always assumed that's what it was as it seemed about right for me.

I have had a -£5k mtt swing on sky before, over the course of 3 months in 2014. I'm sure that wasn't all variance related though as I only played 400ish games during that period so imagine the average buy in was high and I was playing too many tables across a number of sites or something.

You start to get better at taking it when you run bad and continuing to play as you should.

In the last 2 years I don't think I have had a downswing worse than £1.5k on sky, most recently a 3 week -£1.5k towards the end of oct/start nov 2018

This year I have had 2 x £800 downswings already, which isn't out of the norm for me since that's basically a couple of bad sessions in a row.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793

I have had a -£5k mtt swing on sky before, over the course of 3 months in 2014. I'm sure that wasn't all variance related though.

You start to get better at taking it when you run bad and continuing to play as you should.

In the last 2 years I don't think I have had a downswing worse than £1.5k on sky, most recently a 3 week -£1.5k towards the end of oct/start nov 2018

This year I have had 2 x £800 downswings already, which isn't out of the norm for me since that's basically a couple of bad sessions in a row.

So despite how bad the rake is on here , you still play , because you have an edge and make money . Almost like moaning for nothing really .
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Based on melts bankroll suggestion and looking at sky only, scheduled games. Required Bankroll: £3,195

Worst 100 Streak Av Profit: -£19.38
    Worst 500 Streak Av Profit: -£5.2

Will have a more detailed look over the weekend as its about 10years of playing on here and nearly 32k games!

I would of had worse swings on other sites which is one of the reasons I pretty much only play on sky now and having backed guys I have seen some of the swings.

Would be interested to know some of the swings the spins guys have had. They can be brutal!
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I have had a -£5k mtt swing on sky before, over the course of 3 months in 2014. I'm sure that wasn't all variance related though.

So despite how bad the rake is on here , you still play , because you have an edge and make money . Almost like moaning for nothing really .
    you should really check what I play before making a comment like that.

I play almost exclusively MTTs, I think the rake for them is fine generally although on the high side especially when buy ins get above £100... but I haven't mentioned that because its fairly insignificant in comparison to the ridiculous rake on SNGs, especially turbo ones... which I rarely play.

I have played over 17.5k tournaments of which around 1000 are sngs, around half of them were in the last month. This experience made me see how bad it really was.

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

The rake debate was mainly about SNG and we are talking about MTTs.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I play almost exclusively MTTs, I think the rake for them is fine generally although on the high side especially when buy ins get above £100... but I haven't mentioned that because its fairly insignificant in comparison to the ridiculous rake on SNGs, especially turbo ones... which I rarely play.

I have played over 17.5k tournaments of which around 1000 are sngs, around half of them were in the last month. This experience made me see how bad it really was.

Don't need to check out what you play exactly , Ive already scoped your stats , and they speak for themselves . You are a massive winning player . Not happy ? Need more money ?
    Which leads me onto to ..if you predominately play mtts without a turbo structure , why th f are you moaning about the rake on tdyms that you rarely play ? ...The phrase , " i feel cheated " come to mind with your thread , but your not a regular dym player .
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534

Well said
  • Options

Don't need to check out what you play exactly , Ive already scoped your stats , and they speak for themselves . You are a massive winning player . Not happy ? Need more money ?
    If you think I am going to start grinding DYMs you are mad, even if they had 5% rake. I find them boring. I only did it this month for a chance to win a rake race.

It's not to do with me making more money
  • Options

Which leads me onto to ..if you predominately play mtts without a turbo structure , why th f are you moaning about the rake on tdyms that you rarely play ? ...The phrase , " i feel cheated " come to mind with your thread , but your not a regular dym player .
    Please dont dreail a perfectly good thread with this again. He does not play the DYM so does that benefit him as a player... nope. Does it benefit the players who do play them (Good or bad players)... Yes.

I really don't see what your issue is.
  • Options
    Itsover4u said:

Well said
    What do you mean well said ? ...you have someone who has played less than 10% of his sky play on sngs , is massively in profit overall and continues to play on here , because its soft, yet still wants to moan about it . Please !
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    No you have a reg sticking up for all the players playing close to unbeatable games in a way that will not benefit him financially as he does not play them. Get a grip.

A forum is a place for people to debate topics, exchange ideas and make friends with people who have similar interests. in no way was he moaning he was just making people very aware how close to unbeatable this one particular format of the game is and how vastly it differs from the industry standard.

If you want to play blindfolded feel free thats your choice... but please be aware you dont speak for the community.

Nobody is saying sky is a bad place to play, quite the opposite - its refreshing. Even in the face of a large corporate takeover they have handled things excellently and kept the players informed as best as possible.

Sky took almost all my volume from other sites... and i'm delighted to pay the extra rake as I feel it is fair in my main format.

But yes the rake at this one format is a problem in general for players
  • Options
    IkellyIkelly Member Posts: 1,374
    Just read through and find this subject really interesting, how do you cope mentally with big downswings? and do they affect the way you play when you are deep in one?
  • Options
    Ikelly said:

Just read through and find this subject really interesting, how do you cope mentally with big downswings? and do they affect the way you play when you are deep in one?

Personally the money isnt a massive issue but 100% can effect my play. I tend to try to hard to make things happen rather than randomly shoving j3o if that makes sense. Will def effect people in different ways and some maybe not at all
  • Options
    Itsover4u said:

Please dont dreail a perfectly good thread with this again. He does not play the DYM so does that benefit him as a player... nope. Does it benefit the players who do play them (Good or bad players)... Yes.

I really don't see what your issue is.
    My issue is, winning players moaning about the rake on games they dont even really play ...what do you not understand about that ? It's not derailing a thread , its expanding it ..simples !
  • Options
    Itsover4u said:

No you have a reg sticking up for all the players playing close to unbeatable games in a way that will not benefit him financially as he does not play them. Get a grip.

A forum is a place for people to debate topics, exchange ideas and make friends with people who have similar interests. in no way was he moaning he was just making people very aware how close to unbeatable this one particular format of the game is and how vastly it differs from the industry standard.

If you want to play blindfolded feel free thats your choice... but please be aware you dont speak for the community.

Nobody is saying sky is a bad place to play, quite the opposite - its refreshing. Even in the face of a large corporate takeover they have handled things excellently and kept the players informed as best as possible.

Sky took almost all my volume from other sites... and i'm delighted to pay the extra rake as I feel it is fair in my main format.

But yes the rake at this one format is a problem in general for players

Hang on a second mister! ....this is a debate, just because you dont agree with my views doesn't not make it one ! secondly complaining about the rake , is actually moaning .
    thirdly ..never said I did speak for the community .
    Finally if the rake was such a problem , then games wouldn't start and people wouldn't play and the site would generally struggle and eventually go down .
  • Options
    My Main issue is with you thinking it is fine for recs and regs to get overcharged at a game they do play.

• Options
    Itsover4u said:

My Main issue is with you thinking it is fine for recs and regs to get overcharged at a game they do play.

If people think they are being overcharged ...then dont play here ...dont continue to , because its soft , but then moan about it . You obv think we are being overcharged , but continue to do so , because I would presume the benefits outweigh the negatives in your own mind .
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ikelly said:

Glad we are back on topic... thanks Ikelly!

Big downswings are obviously very mentally challenging. You start to doubt everything you do, confidence is out the window and you can feel like you will never win again - the game has caught you up and you are now somehow behind the curve/a losing player.

What can make it worse is the pressure to win only increases as your bank balance decreases. It can be extremely stressful at times.

I know I felt like this at the start of 2015. I had a -£15k ish downswing (multiple sites online + live), which was most of my bankroll, over the course of 3 months. I just couldn't win and it really effected my confidence.

Since then I have had plenty of similar experiences but not quite as bad.

To get through it I usually up my amount of studying, with the attitude I will find a way to win, even if the poker gods are against me. It can help with confidence by reassuring you that your plays were correct + help to find anywhere you might have gone off the rails strategy wise + any increase in ability will only help to reduce variance.
  • Options

Itsover4u said:

If people think they are being overcharged ...then dont play here ...dont continue to , because its soft , but then moan about it . You obv think we are being overcharged , but continue to do so , because I would presume the benefits outweigh the negatives in your own mind .
    My roi is higher on stars, unibet... just about every site... I dont think its soft at all