You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The Ashes

Comments

• EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    HAYSIE said:

There have been over 4,500 tests played

This is test number 2353
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,057
    EvilPingu said:

HAYSIE said:

This is test number 2353
    Not according to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Test_cricket_records
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    Er....
    You do know that there are 2 teams in every test match...
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,315
    HAYSIE said:

EvilPingu said:

HAYSIE said:

This is test number 2353
    Not according to this.

@HAYSIE

You are reading that wrong Tony, though it's easily done.

If you add up all the Tests played by individual teams on that Wiki Page, you then need to HALVE the total.

Ireland, for example, are shown as " 3 Tests". But those same three Tests will also be shown in their opponent's totals, so you are double-counting the same Tests.

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

EvilPingu said:

HAYSIE said:

This is test number 2353
    Not according to this.

@HAYSIE

You are reading that wrong Tony, though it's easily done.

If you add up all the Tests played by individual teams on that Wiki Page, you then need to HALVE the total.

Ireland, for example, are shown as " 3 Tests". But those same three Tests will also be shown in their opponent's totals, so you are double-counting the same Tests.

Good thinking, he said, as he retired from this thread quietly with a pair of gyms on, and returned to Brexit.

I have gone off cricket anyway, although the team that call themselves England have had a really good start today.
    EvilPingu said:

HAYSIE said:

This is test number 2353
    My apologies it would seem that I was counting them twice.

Still a low percentage though with only 4 out of almost 500 series ending 0-0.
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:
    It seems to be a more regular occurrence. No idea if the bails/stumps are different but I think it has happened a few times this summer now.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,730
    lucy4 said:

Speaking from my head not my heart,I'd have to say Australia.I think they're a bit tougher mentally,if things ain't going their way they seem to be able to dig in and get a result,England on the other hand tend to crumble when things don't go their way.

Not too far off with my assessment, the Aussies dug deep and England crumbled under the pressure.

Yup, we were whupped, good & proper.

Anderson's injury did not help, but both Moeen Ali & Johnny Bairstow were woefully out of form, both of them with the bat, Moeen when bowling & Bairstow's work behind the wickets.

I sense there is a clique in that dressing room & some players are protected - Bairstow, for example. I enjoy watching him, & when in form, he's good both as a batsman & a keeper, but he's out of form at both right now. I'd drop him & send a message to the rest of the team - perform or you are out, even if you are matey matey with Root.
    edited August 2019
    It may have been a different story if Anderson had stayed fit,do they risk calling Archer in to the squad for the second test if he's not 100% and the same thing happens again? As for England's second innings,if international players cannot bat out for a day then serious questions need to be asked.It should've been a case of block,block & more block.
  • SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,107
    edited August 2019
    Brilliant effort from England to grab defeat from the jaws of victory...
    We have spent the last few years concentrating on our 1-day side, understandably so.

Unfortunately for our Test team, this has resulted in too many flashy batsmen-we have loads of number 6s (and a number 8 in Denly), but, Root apart, no solid openers/3/4s.

Some are off-form due to the differing demands of the 2 formats-1 minute Ali has to concentrate on dot balls, then we are surprised when he lacks a cutting edge.

The fast bowlers are either aging (Broad/Anderson) or injury-prone (Wood, Plunkett, Archer etc), while various have given up red ball cricket-it is very difficult to be a bowler now.

Batting is the main problem. Roy will get another chance due to the lack of alternatives. Denly is an excellent County cricketer, but he is not a Test player. The upper reaches of the County averages is scary-Ballance or Bopara, anyone? Northeast probably deserves a chance.

Bairstow and Ali clearly need a rest-Foakes and Leach deserve a game next up. We will have to gamble on Archer as he is the only vaguely fit genuinely fast bowler.
  • sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    Back in June I wrote:

"What we all crave in sport is the individual moment of brilliance which turns the game; the underdog who pulls off an act of giant killing - or two evenly matched rivals who bring out the very best in each other. The stories which are told and re-told are not of easy wins but of great comebacks and nail biting finishes."

At the time, I had no idea that the World Cup Final would exemplify this sentiment perfectly but now even that has been surpassed. Much as I enjoy One Day cricket, it is the Test Match which is the true pinnacle of the game. All elite sport demands skill, determination, courage, stamina and sacrifice but only cricket truly tests a person's character.

I was lucky enough to be at Edgbaston in 2005 to witness Andrew Flintoff score a quick fire 73 to rescue England. He then bowled Justin Langer and had Ricky Ponting caught behind in one superb over to set up the final day denouement. But Ben Stokes innings today was the most remarkable I have seen, outdoing Botham in 1981.

For the second time this summer, I have been moved to tears by the final ball of a match. I am so pleased that my sons will have memories to treasure in the same way that I reminisce about triumphs of the past.
    sillymid said:

Back in June I wrote:

"What we all crave in sport is the individual moment of brilliance which turns the game; the underdog who pulls off an act of giant killing - or two evenly matched rivals who bring out the very best in each other. The stories which are told and re-told are not of easy wins but of great comebacks and nail biting finishes."

At the time, I had no idea that the World Cup Final would exemplify this sentiment perfectly but now even that has been surpassed. Much as I enjoy One Day cricket, it is the Test Match which is the true pinnacle of the game. All elite sport demands skill, determination, courage, stamina and sacrifice but only cricket truly tests a person's character.

I was lucky enough to be at Edgbaston in 2005 to witness Andrew Flintoff score a quick fire 73 to rescue England. He then bowled Justin Langer and had Ricky Ponting caught behind in one superb over to set up the final day denouement. But Ben Stokes innings today was the most remarkable I have seen, outdoing Botham in 1981.

For the second time this summer, I have been moved to tears by the final ball of a match. I am so pleased that my sons will have memories to treasure in the same way that I reminisce about triumphs of the past.

Superbly written.
    Still prefer the Botham/Willis of 1981-but only just
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    so did we win?been in the back garden watching the missus paint the fence B)
  • sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    stokefc said:

Watch the highlights.

You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy the fence.
    sillymid said:

stokefc said:

Watch the highlights.

You won't be disappointed.

Enjoy the fence.
    For the next test at Old Trafford @stokefc has already booked the missus in to assemble the shed... :)
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    If you could just get rid of the first four days (or was it three) and keep the exciting bit at the end, it could catch on.
    Approximately 20 overs each would do it.
    What a start. The Aussies bat first, and Warner edges a ball from Broad to Bairstow in the very first over.

Broad absolutely owns Warner, think that's the fifth time he has got him cheaply this series.

Australia 1-1.