You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The Ashes

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,315

Now Broad traps Harris LBW for 13.

28-2

Bring on The Main Man......
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,730
    Why open with a fast bowler if he ain't gonna bowl fast with the new ball.
    The way this match looks to be going,the best scenario of regaining The Ashes now seems to be,if we can somehow manage to scrape a draw,that'll set the series up for a winner takes all final match at The Oval.
    So England are chasing 497,that should be easy enough as it only equates to 3.68148148148 Ben Stokes... :D .

Or 2.5 Steve Smith's......

The man is a freak.

England's 2nd innings;

Oh my Lord.
    Block,Block,Block and more Block. When will they learn.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    Sometimes you just have to accept that, in a contest between 2 sides, 1 side is better than the other. A more rounded attack, and the 2nd best batsman who ever lived.
    I don't think Australia are that much superior than us but what gets me is not doing the basics.An hour to bat tonight and they seem to lose all sense of basic cricket which you're taught at school level.You defend your wicket at all cost,block/leave/punish. Knowing that you're unlikely to reach the target required to win the match,you adopt the Boycott 'It's my wicket and you're not having it' mentality,no matter how many balls I leave/block I don't care,I'm here for the long run not to make runs. If they would've got through that last hour without loss,then tomorrow would've been a different story. Slashing at balls you should be leaving is always gonna cost you,but it's not the first time this series that it has happened.What's the saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...
    Here we go again,will it be another great escape Sunday with a player stepping up to be the hero,a long shot but it is achievable.
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    Essexphil said:

Sometimes you just have to accept that, in a contest between 2 sides, 1 side is better than the other. A more rounded attack, and the 2nd best batsman who ever lived.

Who's the best batsman that ever lived?
    edited September 2019
    lucy4 said:

I don't think Australia are that much superior than us but what gets me is not doing the basics.An hour to bat tonight and they seem to lose all sense of basic cricket which you're taught at school level.You defend your wicket at all cost,block/leave/punish. Knowing that you're unlikely to reach the target required to win the match,you adopt the Boycott 'It's my wicket and you're not having it' mentality,no matter how many balls I leave/block I don't care,I'm here for the long run not to make runs. If they would've got through that last hour without loss,then tomorrow would've been a different story. Slashing at balls you should be leaving is always gonna cost you,but it's not the first time this series that it has happened.What's the saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...

Australia are fairly average as far as batsmen are concerned, bar Smith of course. I don't think any other batsman can say they have had a good series apart from Labuschagne. Warner has been AWOL. We have been even worse and punished by a far superior Aussie bowling attack.

There is only 1 side that really deserve to win the series and it's certainly not us.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    waller02 said:

Essexphil said:

Who's the best batsman that ever lived?
    Sir Don Bradman.

People who can be considered for 2nd best (such as Smith) are averaging 60, or a little more. The 2nd highest of all time is just under 62.

Bradman averaged 99.94. He played 37 of his 52 Tests against the only side that rivalled Australia at that time-England. Pitches were not covered in the event of rain. You can argue as to who was the best bowler of all time-Warne, Muralitharan, Lillee, Holding.

But there was only 1 best batsman-Bradman. The only arguments there are who was the 2nd best-Smith, Tendulkar, Richards, Lara. And whether Bradman was the greatest sportsman who ever lived.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    edited September 2019
    Agree maybe about The Don as best batsman, would have to wonder how he would have fared against the awesome foursome of the West Indies or Mualitherahn and co on a dustbowl in the sub continent.

As for best ever sportsman the criteria is way too big. Too many sports, too many champions over too many years. S.Redgrave, V Rossi, AJ McCoy, J Owens, C Lewis, T Brady, M Ali, W J McBride, T Woods, R Federer etc etc
    edited September 2019

Agree maybe about The Don as best batsman, would have to wonder how he would have fared against the awesome foursome of the West Indies or Mualitherahn and co on a dustbowl in the sub continent.

As for best ever sportsman the criteria is way too big. Too many sports, too many champions over too many years. S.Redgrave, V Rossi, AJ McCoy, J Owens, C Lewis, T Brady, M Ali, W J McBride, T Woods, R Federer etc etc

Muhammad Ali is one of the most overated sportsmen of all time.
  • SuperAyr25SuperAyr25 Member Posts: 37
    Steve Smith was the difference and why Austrlia won but Cummings Hazelwood were fantastic with the ball as well . England just dont have the patience to win the ashes anymore when the going get tough England will crumble and Aussies will dig in think a 5-0 will handed out in the next ashes in a couple of years on there conditions .

The Aussies win the toss & surprisingly (to me) insert England.

Too much to hope we can get to Lunch without losing a wicket? Something like 100 without loss would be nice.....

A good foundation by England in the 1st Innings, & the Aussies batting last on a pitch that will be spinning like mad might be just the job.

OK, I'll settle for 100/1.....
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,810
    Surprising decision to put us in to bat.

They've had their chances though, some unusually sloppy 'catching' from the Aussies :)