You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

20k in 2020!

Comments

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    How does the average field size compare this month to April 2018 for example?
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    P.s. Realised haven't posted a BR update in a while but been around 2.7k-ish for the past month. On the one hand, having had a bit of trouble passing the 2k mark and moving up to higher ABI it feels good to be comfortable playing higher now, but 20k this year feels a heck of a long way off! Might have to change it to '4k in 2020' or something! Who knows, it's a long year :)

One more ramble for now: having cashed out my BR and started from zero at multiple times in the past, I've only just realised how much this might have hurt my potential long-term. Have played something like ABI 20 in the past before losing a bit and throwing my toys out of the pram and starting from zero. This has had the result that the vast majority of my time playing poker has been at micro/low stakes despite winning at larger stakes. So on that note I think the start from zero for this current BR challenge will definitely be the last time I start over. Even if I want a break from poker I'll leave my roll there to come back to so I'm not out of the game for so long.

Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    MattBates said:

How does the average field size compare this month to April 2018 for example?

Fair point! Have been playing mostly daytimes (though played quite a few evenings during UKOPS) so not huge huge fields. But things that normally get like 30 runners are getting 100+ fields so yeah variance going to be higher than usual!
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    edited July 2020
    Hi @Angmar2626

Just posting because tonight is the first time I've seen you at the tables (currently crushing the £5.50 Mega Stack, gl) in a long time and just wondered if you've been playing elsewhere or simply haven't been playing?

Whatever the case may be, good to see you again, hope you're ok and all the best.
  • Options
    Hey Myna, all good thanks, hope the same for you!

I've been taking a long break from poker as stopped enjoying playing, but mostly because of the time it was taking away from working on producing. At the start of lockdown was playing 4 or 5 days a week plus study which adds up to a heck of a lot of time that could be spent in more long-term productive ways.

Always had the feeling that if I ever took a break and stopped studying I would just instantly fall behind the curve and become a losing player even at low stakes :D But if the likes of @Duesenberg and @Allan23 are still beating the game then there's hope yet!

Last night was the first time in months I actually felt like playing, and also happened to see that Allan was streaming so thought it would be fun to hop in, which it was :)
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Good to hear. I'm not too bad, thanks.

I did kind of assume that poker had probably just fallen down your list of priorities.

To be honest, I think you would be capable of playing once or twice a week, never do any meaningful study again and still be able to beat those games :)

It is certainly great fun playing alongside and getting involved with @Duesenberg @Allan23 and @PKRPar when they stream. Will we be seeing you a bit more regularly going forward do you think? Or will you still just be dipping in and out now and again when you feel like it?
  • Options
    percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited July 2020
    You're a classical musician? Cool! Which instruments are your favourite to play? I wish I could play the violin lol.

I stumbled across this guy recently, Iannis Xenakis - have you heard of him? I read that his music is considered 'experimental contemporary classical' - I'm not sure how legit that description is but I think I read it somewhere. His compositions were apparently often influenced by various areas of mathematics. Here's a super weird piece for me, I imagine for a trained musician you can maybe find some underlying genius - *maybe* being emphasised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryiu2MYmmBY&fbclid=IwAR2jQhdRrfPa4CWuVjfQ8emfB_6CJP8t0W0ZV0yFdr_K4xa_in8wfDwX17U

Ok fish question to finish, Mendelssohn or Vivaldi for violin/string concertos?
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

Good to hear. I'm not too bad, thanks.

I did kind of assume that poker had probably just fallen down your list of priorities.

To be honest, I think you would be capable of playing once or twice a week, never do any meaningful study again and still be able to beat those games :)

It is certainly great fun playing alongside and getting involved with @Duesenberg @Allan23 and @PKRPar when they stream. Will we be seeing you a bit more regularly going forward do you think? Or will you still just be dipping in and out now and again when you feel like it?

Probably just dipping in and out for now tbh but never say never! My last hand on Saturday was this FT hand where even though I'm shallow I'm second in chips with the chipleader having basically all the chips in play. One of the guys who folds has 0.2bb haha. Genuinely found this flop really funny given the situ, so I guess I'll play at a rate where I find things like this amusing rather than extremely tilting. There's enough to get annoyed at already in the world!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Angmar2626Small blind1000.001000.0018520.00
    KeatsyBig blind2000.003000.00275871.62
    Your hole cards
    • K
    • K
    1317Fold
    cashmike1Fold
    cmads96Fold
    Angmar2626Raise5000.008000.0013520.00
    KeatsyAll-in275871.62283871.620.00
    Angmar2626All-in13520.00297391.620.00
    KeatsyUnmatched bet258351.6239040.00258351.62
    Angmar2626Show
    • K
    • K
    KeatsyShow
    Flop
    • Q
    Turn
    River
    KeatsyWinFour 2s39040.00297391.62
  • Options

You're a classical musician? Cool! Which instruments are your favourite to play? I wish I could play the violin lol.

I stumbled across this guy recently, Iannis Xenakis - have you heard of him? I read that his music is considered 'experimental contemporary classical' - I'm not sure how legit that description is but I think I read it somewhere. His compositions were apparently often influenced by various areas of mathematics. Here's a super weird piece for me, I imagine for a trained musician you can maybe find some underlying genius - *maybe* being emphasised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryiu2MYmmBY&fbclid=IwAR2jQhdRrfPa4CWuVjfQ8emfB_6CJP8t0W0ZV0yFdr_K4xa_in8wfDwX17U

Ok so realllllllly generally speaking, music can be either tonal or atonal. If it's tonal it has a note or key which it's based around and from that you can arrive at chords and melodies that fit that key. If it's atonal then there don't have to be any rules at all (think 3 year old mashing random notes on a piano).

On the one hand, breaking the tonal rules and making music that's atonal gives you more scope to be creative (or 'experimental') and come up with new sounds. The famous chords from Psycho, which that piece you posted seems to quote at the start, wouldn't sound anywhere near as harsh or terrifying if they didn't have that clash in them that you can only get in atonality.

On the other hand, for the past few decades there has been a sense that if something isn't experimental and trying to break the rules even further or do things that haven't been done before, then it can't be considered as serious music, it's only copying the past in some aspect. Composers do all sorts of things to try and be innovative ranging from the maths systems you're talking about, to throwing ink randomly at a piece of manuscript paper and making notes wherever the ink dots land.

My personal opinion... Tonal music creates certain chemical reactions in the human brain that tend to create a positive feeling and atonal music doesn't. So using atonality for specific effects works really well and can spice things up in fun ways, but you wouldn't necessarily want to sit through 60mins+ of atonal music, however technically clever somebody tells you it is :)
  • Options

Ok so realllllllly generally speaking, music can be either tonal or atonal. If it's tonal it has a note or key which it's based around and from that you can arrive at chords and melodies that fit that key. If it's atonal then there don't have to be any rules at all (think 3 year old mashing random notes on a piano).

On the one hand, breaking the tonal rules and making music that's atonal gives you more scope to be creative (or 'experimental') and come up with new sounds. The famous chords from Psycho, which that piece you posted seems to quote at the start, wouldn't sound anywhere near as harsh or terrifying if they didn't have that clash in them that you can only get in atonality.

On the other hand, for the past few decades there has been a sense that if something isn't experimental and trying to break the rules even further or do things that haven't been done before, then it can't be considered as serious music, it's only copying the past in some aspect. Composers do all sorts of things to try and be innovative ranging from the maths systems you're talking about, to throwing ink randomly at a piece of manuscript paper and making notes wherever the ink dots land.

My personal opinion... Tonal music creates certain chemical reactions in the human brain that tend to create a positive feeling and atonal music doesn't. So using atonality for specific effects works really well and can spice things up in fun ways, but you wouldn't necessarily want to sit through 60mins+ of atonal music, however technically clever somebody tells you it is :)
    Cool, thanks. May I ask, then - what is your opinion on the debate about whether 'experimental' atonal methods are required to create truly *new* classical music? As you say, it's implying that anything traditional is simply a modification of a previously mastered piece or technique. Do you think this is true? Is there not a place in between where music can be created that's actually bearable in theatre but has fresh input?

The final paragraph - sure, but then it is questionable where this arises from, is it simply our experience of tonal music from our upbringing or is it a natural module present in our brain for interpreting coherent sounds? I'm not expecting you to know the answer, probably because there is no answer at the moment - just saying, atonal might become more of a thing if it's a more established thing during upbringing. Not saying that should happen, however. Personally, although I find it difficult to sit through long periods of strange atonal instrumental music, I appreciate it in some weird sense - perhaps it's because I find it somewhat refreshing and gives me a new perspective on (normal classical) music that I like, or maybe just that I find it cool to pretend to be sophisticated enough musically to have any idea what's going down ;)

Can I just say, how sick is vivaldi???????? anyway, I am a fanboy of classical without much technical knowledge, could you maybeeeee suggest a classical composer perhaps from the baroque era who I probably won't know? You will make my week 3x better.

Thx
  • Options
    On a more serious note, do you think this is how classical music went down in the romantic period?

• Options
    Yo yo yo!

Have been playing more regularly for the past month or so and had some kind folk at the tables asking for updates. Guess I'll split into 3 main sections: poker, investing, music :) 
  • Options
    First of all the 20k challenge completely died a death many months ago - been a bit of an odd year for everyone, to put it mildly, and plans have to change! With everything going on and the fact that my main aim changed to focusing on music producing, in May I thought I was done with poker for good. After several months of not playing, rather predictably I did start to miss it, but decided if I was going to get back into it I'd want to do it differently. Whilst I really enjoy playing tournaments, there are a few things I've never enjoyed:
    -Playing late and being nackered for work the next day
    -Big(ger) fields and the associated swings and swongs
    -Downswings that approach four figures
    So I've ditched all games/sessions that would result in one or more of the above and am much much happier even if it means my hourly or long-term winnings are hurt in the process! It's fun when you just rock up and mostly win, as opposed to study really hard and then mostly lose :D

So far this year I'm up a bit under 4k (lol 20k in 2020...) but rather than keep it all as poker roll, I'm playing from a 1k roll and the rest goes into investments (more on that next post). With 1k I'm really comfortably rolled for the main games I'm playing, but also it gives the option of having a punt at a Main or whatever if I feel the urge. So far I haven't felt that urge but it's nice to know the option's there :D May play some UKOPS if that comes around later this month, but just for fun, not with any expectations in mind.
  • Options
    One of the main aims of this thread was to get into investing this year and that has at least been a success! Still a complete noob, but have at least got the ball rolling and learnt quite a bit in the process.

At the moment I'm just making purchases through a stocks and shares ISA for the tax-free aspect. Given what I want from investing is to do some research, make some (hopefully) good decisions, and then get on with the rest of my life, index funds is all I've dealt with so far, as opposed to anything that remotely resembles trading.

I've been buying into UK and US index funds twice a month (using poker winnings) since April for pound cost averaging. At the moment am slightly down on UK and slightly up on US but there have been dividends too. Plan for now is just to keep buying regularly to negate the swongs and then just hold for a loooonnnnnng time!
  • Options
    The orchestras that I work for under normal circumstances still haven't met in a physical form since March, which is crazy! Some have been doing things online, which obviously has its shortfalls but actually works better than it sounds and people have been pretty up for it so far rather than skeptical!

At the start of the year I was aiming to really seriously learn how to be a music producer and whilst this year has been pretty sh1t overall, it has given me a lot of free time to actually do this! There are so many aspects of it that I had completely underestimated just how painstakingly long it would take to learn, especially the more mundane side of things like performing rights legalities and file formats.

Very recently I've released a couple of tracks out into the world and am working on putting stuff out regularly, at least one new track per month. At the moment it's all very new and I haven't actually told anyone my 'stage name' apart from my girlfriend haha. It's going to be the case of having only like 2 streams per month for the foreseeable future and I don't want sympathy streams from my mum or whoever :D

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!
    TL;DR - #MicrosForLife
  • Options
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    sandra1180Small blind150.00150.004825.00
    chris180Big blind300.00450.005865.00
    Your hole cards
    misterpjCall300.00750.005615.00
    DOOL33Fold
    Angmar2626Call300.001050.0011772.00
    sandra1180Fold
    chris180Check
    Flop
    • A
    chris180Check
    misterpjBet787.501837.504827.50
    Angmar2626Call787.502625.0010984.50
    chris180Fold
    Turn
    misterpjBet900.003525.003927.50
    Angmar2626Call900.004425.0010084.50
    River
    misterpjBet900.005325.003027.50
    Angmar2626Raise7125.0012450.002959.50
    misterpjAll-in3027.5015477.500.00
    Angmar2626Unmatched bet3197.5012280.006157.00
    misterpjShow
    • Q
    • A
    Angmar2626Show
    Angmar2626WinStraight to the 612280.0018437.00
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129

@Angmar2626

Groan, I sense another MisterPJ post incoming. And I'll reply "did you limp with A-Q?"....
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
    edited October 2020
    @Angmar2626

Ha, incred, exactly ONE MINUTE later the MisterPJ post arrived, bang on cue.

HERE

• Options
    Love it
  • Options
    lfccarllfccarl Member Posts: 1,489

Love it

misterpj has go a clue he 5 bet me with q 6 off