You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Box Sets To Watch While Isolating.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,969
    lucy4 said:

Currently watching this McMillions on Sky Documentaries,never heard of this scam/crime before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zHfScOWO8

Sales increased by over 40% while these promotions were running.
    All the top prizes were rigged.
    I am surprised that some obese family hasn't sued them.
    Putting their 25 stone per head weight gain, down to their attempts to win a top prize, which wasn't actually possible.
    Only in America.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    WALTER INTRO - CODE 37: SEX CRIMES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP0KQkPEUTE
  • Options
    The Life of David Gale Official Trailer #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbNu4vl2Q0
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Coming Friday.

New Netflix Original series based on Harlan Coben’s novel. The Woods - June 12th. Only on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RlU1A_AJx4
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The Salisbury Poisonings: Trailer - BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekoW6g_wg7A
  • Options
    Murder in the Outback: The Falconio and Lees Mystery Episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOE_ioXHnIc
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    HAYSIE said:

Was just trying to find a trailer for this to post here,watched the first one last night,looks a good watch so far.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

Was just trying to find a trailer for this to post here,watched the first one last night,looks a good watch so far.
    I will save them up and watch them all at the same time.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

I watched the David Gale film yesterday.

I don't know why I hadn't watched it before, but I thought it was really good, and certainly not the usual death row film.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    HAYSIE said:

Coming Friday.

New Netflix Original series based on Harlan Coben’s novel. The Woods - June 12th. Only on Netflix.

If this is anything like the book, it will be good.

Review
    Praise for The Woods

“[The Woods] might just be the best thing Coben has written...A gripping story, filled with fine characters and dark secrets.”—Chicago Sun Times

“A lively, fast-moving entertainment, jam packed with the bizarre plot twists that are his stock in trade.”—The Washington Post

“A fast-paced, complex plot...Coben’s talent for creating involving and compelling stories shines.”—South Florida Sun-Sentinel

“Dark and deep.”—Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

“Coben turns the idyll of summer camp into a nightmare...Enter, you who dare.”—The Columbus Dispatch

“Another surprising and emotional story that will remain with the reader long after the last page is finished. One of Coben’s best.”—Library Journal

Top international reviews

Joanne Sheppard
    3.0 out of 5 stars
    Entertaining thriller
    Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 27, 2016
    Verified Purchase
    I don't read much American detective fiction for some reason, but I know Harlan Coben is a popular and prolific thriller writer and I downloaded The Woods as an audiobook for a discounted price. A lot of Coben's novels are part of a series but this is a standalone novel.

The Woods by [Coben, Harlan]
    The main character is Paul 'Cope' Copeland, a county prosecutor in New Jersey whose sister Camille disappeared from summer camp many years ago along - apparently murdered by a fellow camper who is later convicted of killing a number of other teenagers (although not, in fact, of Camille's murder, as her body has never been found). Also never found was the body of her friend Gil Perez. At the start of the book, Paul is called upon in the course of his job as a prosecutor to view the body of Manolo Santiago, who has been found murdered. Except Manolo, Paul immediately realises, is actually Gil. So where has been Gil been all these years that he was assumed dead? Why do the Perez family refuse to accept that Manolo and Gil are one and the same? And does this mean that the mystery of Camille's disappearance might be solved too?

Biography
    With over 70 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben is the #1 New York Times author of thirty one novels including RUN AWAY, FOOL ME ONCE, TELL NO ONE, NO SECOND CHANCE and the renowned Myron Bolitar series. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Harlan is the creator and executive producer for the Netflix television dramas SAFE starring Michael C. Hall, Audrey Fleurot and Amanda Abbington, and THE FIVE starring Tom Cullen and OT Fagbenle. He is currently filming THE STRANGER, based on his novel, for Netflix starring Richard Armitage, Siobhan Finneran, Jennifer Saunders and Stephen Rea. Harlan was also showrunner and executive producer for two French TV mini-series, UNE CHANCE DE TROP (NO SECOND CHANCE) with with Alexandra Lamy and JUST UN REGARD (JUST ONE LOOK) with Virginie Ledoyen. KEINE ZWEIT CHANCE, also based on Harlan’s novel, aired in Germany on Sat1.

Harlan’s novel TELL NO ONE (NE LE DIS A PERSONNE) was turned into the renowned French film, directed by Guillaume Canet and starring Francois Cluzet. The movie was the top box office foreign-language film of the year in USA, won the Lumiere (French Golden Globe) for best picture and was nominated for nine Cesars (French Oscar) and won four, including best actor, best director and best music. The movie with subtitles is now available on Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVD/Blu-Ray.

Winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first author to win all three – international bestselling author Harlan Coben’s critically-acclaimed novels have been called “ingenious” (New York Times), “poignant and insightful” (Los Angeles Times), “consistently entertaining” (Houston Chronicle), “superb” (Chicago Tribune) and “must reading” (Philadelphia Inquirer).

In his first books, Coben immersed himself in the exploits of sports agent Myron Bolitar. Critics loved the series, saying, “You race to turn pages…both suspenseful and often surprisingly funny” (People). After seven books Coben wanted to try something different. “I came up with a great idea that simply would not work for Myron,” says Coben. The result was the critically acclaimed New York Times bestseller TELL NO ONE, which became the most decorated thriller of the year. Two books later, Bookspan, recognizing Coben’s broad international appeal, named NO SECOND CHANCE its first ever International Book of the Month in 2003 – the Main Selection in 15 different countries.

Harlan was the first writer in more than a decade to be invited to write fiction for the NEW YORK TIMES op-ed page. His Father’s Day short story, THE KEY TO MY FATHER, appeared June 15, 2003. His essays and columns have appeared in many top publications including the New York Times, Parade Magazine and Bloomberg Views.

Harlan has received an eclectic variety of honors from all over the world. In Paris, he was awarded the prestigious Vermeil Medal of Honor for contributions to culture and society by the Mayor of Paris. He was won the El Premio del Novela Negra RBA in Spain, the Grand Prix de Lectrices in France, and the CWA/ITV3 Bestseller Dagger for favorite crime novelist in England. On the other end of the spectrum, Little League Baseball inducted Harlan into their Hall of Excellence in 2013, and Harlan is also a member of the New England Basketball Hall of Fame from his playing days at Amherst College.

Harlan was born in Newark, New Jersey. He still lives in New Jersey with his wife, Anne Armstrong-Coben MD, a pediatrician, and their four children.

About the Author
    HARLAN COBEN is the #1 New York Times and international bestselling author of more than thirty novels, including Run Away, Don’t Let Go, Home, and Fool Me Once, as well as the award-winning Myron Bolitar series. Coben has more than seventy million books in print in more than forty languages worldwide. The winner of the Edgar, Shamus, and Anthony Awards, he lives in New Jersey.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Thanks for the tip re free Amazon trial and Bosch, @HAYSIE

Really enjoying them. As someone who read the books first, they have been as good as I hoped.

Biggest plus point-the casting. Helps when the author is the Executive Producer. Bosch himself is different to how I imagined-a little too East Coast. But-much like Tom Cruise as Reacher-sheer class as an Actor makes up for that. Rest are remarkably similar to how I imagined them.

One minor niggle. Most episodes have a minute or 2 filmed in near total darkness, like so many US productions. Brilliant.

You read any Harlan Coben?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Coming Friday.

If this is anything like the book, it will be good.

Review
    Praise for The Woods

“[The Woods] might just be the best thing Coben has written...A gripping story, filled with fine characters and dark secrets.”—Chicago Sun Times

“A lively, fast-moving entertainment, jam packed with the bizarre plot twists that are his stock in trade.”—The Washington Post

“A fast-paced, complex plot...Coben’s talent for creating involving and compelling stories shines.”—South Florida Sun-Sentinel

“Dark and deep.”—Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

“Coben turns the idyll of summer camp into a nightmare...Enter, you who dare.”—The Columbus Dispatch

“Another surprising and emotional story that will remain with the reader long after the last page is finished. One of Coben’s best.”—Library Journal

Top international reviews

Joanne Sheppard
    3.0 out of 5 stars
    Entertaining thriller
    Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 27, 2016
    Verified Purchase
    I don't read much American detective fiction for some reason, but I know Harlan Coben is a popular and prolific thriller writer and I downloaded The Woods as an audiobook for a discounted price. A lot of Coben's novels are part of a series but this is a standalone novel.

The Woods by [Coben, Harlan]
    The main character is Paul 'Cope' Copeland, a county prosecutor in New Jersey whose sister Camille disappeared from summer camp many years ago along - apparently murdered by a fellow camper who is later convicted of killing a number of other teenagers (although not, in fact, of Camille's murder, as her body has never been found). Also never found was the body of her friend Gil Perez. At the start of the book, Paul is called upon in the course of his job as a prosecutor to view the body of Manolo Santiago, who has been found murdered. Except Manolo, Paul immediately realises, is actually Gil. So where has been Gil been all these years that he was assumed dead? Why do the Perez family refuse to accept that Manolo and Gil are one and the same? And does this mean that the mystery of Camille's disappearance might be solved too?

Biography
    With over 70 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben is the #1 New York Times author of thirty one novels including RUN AWAY, FOOL ME ONCE, TELL NO ONE, NO SECOND CHANCE and the renowned Myron Bolitar series. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Harlan is the creator and executive producer for the Netflix television dramas SAFE starring Michael C. Hall, Audrey Fleurot and Amanda Abbington, and THE FIVE starring Tom Cullen and OT Fagbenle. He is currently filming THE STRANGER, based on his novel, for Netflix starring Richard Armitage, Siobhan Finneran, Jennifer Saunders and Stephen Rea. Harlan was also showrunner and executive producer for two French TV mini-series, UNE CHANCE DE TROP (NO SECOND CHANCE) with with Alexandra Lamy and JUST UN REGARD (JUST ONE LOOK) with Virginie Ledoyen. KEINE ZWEIT CHANCE, also based on Harlan’s novel, aired in Germany on Sat1.

Harlan’s novel TELL NO ONE (NE LE DIS A PERSONNE) was turned into the renowned French film, directed by Guillaume Canet and starring Francois Cluzet. The movie was the top box office foreign-language film of the year in USA, won the Lumiere (French Golden Globe) for best picture and was nominated for nine Cesars (French Oscar) and won four, including best actor, best director and best music. The movie with subtitles is now available on Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVD/Blu-Ray.

Winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first author to win all three – international bestselling author Harlan Coben’s critically-acclaimed novels have been called “ingenious” (New York Times), “poignant and insightful” (Los Angeles Times), “consistently entertaining” (Houston Chronicle), “superb” (Chicago Tribune) and “must reading” (Philadelphia Inquirer).

In his first books, Coben immersed himself in the exploits of sports agent Myron Bolitar. Critics loved the series, saying, “You race to turn pages…both suspenseful and often surprisingly funny” (People). After seven books Coben wanted to try something different. “I came up with a great idea that simply would not work for Myron,” says Coben. The result was the critically acclaimed New York Times bestseller TELL NO ONE, which became the most decorated thriller of the year. Two books later, Bookspan, recognizing Coben’s broad international appeal, named NO SECOND CHANCE its first ever International Book of the Month in 2003 – the Main Selection in 15 different countries.

Harlan was the first writer in more than a decade to be invited to write fiction for the NEW YORK TIMES op-ed page. His Father’s Day short story, THE KEY TO MY FATHER, appeared June 15, 2003. His essays and columns have appeared in many top publications including the New York Times, Parade Magazine and Bloomberg Views.

Harlan has received an eclectic variety of honors from all over the world. In Paris, he was awarded the prestigious Vermeil Medal of Honor for contributions to culture and society by the Mayor of Paris. He was won the El Premio del Novela Negra RBA in Spain, the Grand Prix de Lectrices in France, and the CWA/ITV3 Bestseller Dagger for favorite crime novelist in England. On the other end of the spectrum, Little League Baseball inducted Harlan into their Hall of Excellence in 2013, and Harlan is also a member of the New England Basketball Hall of Fame from his playing days at Amherst College.

Harlan was born in Newark, New Jersey. He still lives in New Jersey with his wife, Anne Armstrong-Coben MD, a pediatrician, and their four children.

About the Author
    HARLAN COBEN is the #1 New York Times and international bestselling author of more than thirty novels, including Run Away, Don’t Let Go, Home, and Fool Me Once, as well as the award-winning Myron Bolitar series. Coben has more than seventy million books in print in more than forty languages worldwide. The winner of the Edgar, Shamus, and Anthony Awards, he lives in New Jersey.
    The trailer on Netflix is in English.
  • Options
    THE SINNER Season 3 Official Trailer 19th June.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0G7U-A8Qh8
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

There seemed to be lots of holes in the story.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

I can't work out if he done it or not but I do think there was more than enough reasonable doubt to not convict him on the evidence offered by the prosecution.Also his defence team could not have put forward a very convincing case and by not concentrating more on the actual crime scene,ie bullet casing,footprints,drag marks etc surely there was enough to cast doubt on her version of events.In my opinion it's a very unsafe conviction.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

I can't work out if he done it or not but I do think there was more than enough reasonable doubt to not convict him on the evidence offered by the prosecution.Also his defence team could not have put forward a very convincing case and by not concentrating more on the actual crime scene,ie bullet casing,footprints,drag marks etc surely there was enough to cast doubt on her version of events.In my opinion it's a very unsafe conviction.
    I thought her account was not very convincing.

She wasn't particularly cooperative.

Loads of unanswered questions.

Like why didn't the dog find her, when she was only hiding 35 metres away?

She was emailing her lover in Sydney 2 days later.

Why use an alias if it was innocent?

If the guy was looking for her for hours, why no footprints?

If her boyfriend was actually there why no footprints?

The DNA evidence was confusing.

The bit about taping her ankles together was confusing.

She said he did but there wasn't enough tape.

The only point of taping someones ankles together is surely to stop them running away.

If this was his intention he made a shocking job of it, yet he went to a lot of trouble in preparing the manacles.

I don't believe you could say he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I don't suppose this is the end of the story.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Coming Friday.

Today
  • Options
    edited June 2020

who was found in the car park of a south London pub with an axe lodged in his skull and £1,000 left poking out of his trouser pocket. The subsequent inquiry has lasted 33 years, and cost £30 million, but has failed to convict anyone of Morgan's murder. For the first time, those that were alleged to have committed the crime, the police officers who investigated, and the grieving brother of the victim all tell their story

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/3712827/27832679/murder-in-the-car-park