You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

£26 Poker Challenge

QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
edited April 2020 in Poker Chat
It was good to be welcomed back the other day having been “found” by @Phantom66

When I caught up with everyone with the "Where's QUICKFEET?" post, I mentioned I am now a Trustee at The Movement Centre in Oswestry which provides specialized physiotherapy to disabled children. We have unique frames that allow kids to exercise while standing (instead of being confined to a wheelchair) and build up their strength. The height at which the frame offers support is lowered as the child’s core muscles develop. Our therapy can be life-changing as it gives children the physical capability to become more independent. In some instances, the kids even gain the ability to walk.

Sadly, we get no support from the Government/NHS. We are funded solely by what we can raise in conjunction with the families of our children.

As with many other charities, the COVID-19 Lockdown has had a big impact on us. So many of our Fundraising events have had to be cancelled which is why we are getting involved with the 2.6/26 Challenge. It's related to the London Marathon which was due to take place on 26th April but obviously now isn’t.

https://www.twopointsixchallenge.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3ZPXmEWHvg_H5I2YtLm9C-23rQ4Jb2dgeQPbRVXWjb3dBXrJXxCc4neK8

Instead of doing the marathon, the organisers are asking people to get sponsorship for challenges at home involving something relating to 2.6 or 26 because a marathon course is 26 miles long (give or take) and the London Marathon was due to take place on the 26th of this month.

So on behalf of The Movement Centre, I have decided to make abit of a come-back with a £26 Poker Challenge.

Last week, when I logged on after Phantom66 got intouch, I had £23 left in my account from when I stopped playing a few years ago but after cashing in a £3.30 DYM yesterday (it was nice to be back) I now have £26.06 – so my £26 Poker Challenge will be to spin up £26 as high as possible before close of play on 26th April, starting on 19th April. I will do daily updates to this thread.

I am planning to play £3.30 DYMs or possibly micro cash and, if things go well and the bankroll allows, I may take in some MTTs next weekend… If things go badly, I’ll lose the £26 and just make a donation to the charity!

From past experience, I tend to lose the plot if I switch formats, and certainly if I step up the levels, so may stick at one thing for the week.

I am aiming to do at least 4 hours a day. Any advice or encouragement gratefully received!

The London Marathon organisers are in discussion with the Government for them to doule the amount raised via the 2.6/26 Challenge. My Just Giving page is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/my-2-6-challenge-ba58a66d-0581-446c-9a77-64679f0b5ad4

Comments

• Options
    ckdckd Member Posts: 1,386
    do you have a go fund page at all ?
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Welcome back and good luck

I'll pledge £26 for the great cause and to welcome you back.

Make sure to opt in to the dym streak promo for extra motivation and hopefully reward.
  • Options
    Many thanks @ckd and @Phantom66 - I have added a Just Giving link to the bottom of the OP
  • Options
    Have opted in to the DYM Streak too
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Good luck and welldone
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    Donated £26. Good luck with the challenge.
  • Options
    Many thanks @NOSTRI
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Welcome back and Gl with this, I shall donate over the weekend.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,631
    I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment Quickfeet else I would donate in an instant
    So alls I can do is wish you every success in your fund raising
    Good luck mate and all the best
    Maybe Sky poker can donate if it's within their rules, I know they do a great deal for charity so it may not be possible it's just a thought though
  • Options
    Thank you @waller02 and thank you @stokefc for your good wishes. To be honest, I am surprised and humbled by all the offers to donate so far... I was just aiming/hoping to raise a little money by playing and renew my contact with my friends on SkyPoker
  • Options
    So today was the first day of my £26 bankroll challenge to raise money for The Movement Centre. (It started off at £26.06 to be exact!).

I aim to do at least 4 hours a day for 8 days. Today I focussed on 2-tabling £3.30 DYMs. I did an hour before lunch followed by two 90 minutes sessions in the afternoon plus a “bonus” half an hour after tea.

I had planned to do 2 hours in the day and 2 more in this evening but I had some unexpected business to deal with at 7:30 pm so I crammed more into the afternoon which was probably a mistake as I lost my way a little… but possibly it was just variance.

I started brilliantly in the morning, thanks to a couple of good beats I won 4 out of the first 5 games. I thought it would just be the die-hards playing on a Sunday before lunch but they were the loosest games of the day, ending in about 20 minutes. I was £4 up after the first hour.

The first 90 minutes after lunch were also productive and I was +£6 in total. I then went and sat in the sun for 15 minutes. I love the sun and wanted to stay there longer and so I might not have been in the right frame of mind for the second 90 minutes. I lost 6 games out of 10. Not too bad I guess – it felt like more than that at the time. Some of the games went on for 40 minutes with the blinds getting quite high, they begin to feel like a lottery at that point… but maybe I was getting grumpy because I was losing! No doubt there is still a skill to playing in those situations.

That took me down to £24.56. So I was breaking even really and only losing on rake.
    It occurred to me when I was having my tea that I was just one win away from being in profit for the day – poker has such fine margins! I played another couple of games after I had eaten to try and finish in positive territory but won one and lost the other. This put the BR at the end of the day at £23.96

Today I won 9 games out of 17 – not too bad after not playing much poker for over 2 years.

Not sure how many newcomers there have been since I wrote my blog a few year ago. If there are any, please see this video about me and my role at The Movement Centre by way of introduction https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnG6SSQdCX66guZA-OzXOLW0nrRCrg?e=mJEcuK
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,347
    Thanks for posting the video.
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    Yey! What a fantastic cause!

Thank you for all the work you do.

Donated £26.

For anyone else wishing to donate... here's the link again:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/my-2-6-challenge-ba58a66d-0581-446c-9a77-64679f0b5ad4
  • Options
    Thank you @TRIP5 and thank you to all those who donated last night. Much appreciated
  • Options
    Today went better. Twelve games, seven wins so balance is now £26.36 – a princely 30p up after 2 days! It could have been much worse but I won the last 3 games on the bounce.

All games were £3.30 DYMs although one was a Turbo I accidentally took park in (I won that). Two hours after lunch and another two after tea to get the 4 hours in. Never play poker on an empty stomach is my motto!

I also went entered the half 6 Freeroll but never cashed.

I became more patient in the latter stages of the DYMs – I realised I had more time than I thought.

Played a lot today v @garner909 who I see is at the top of the streaking for £3.30 leaderboard. He never plays a hand!* I guess that’s the secret.

Aside from poker, I have been struggling with technology. I am trying to build a new WordPress website for The Movement Centre, including a new theme. I have been advised to test it on a local webserver on my pc using MAMP but I cannot get the server to work for the life of me. I have delved into the MAMP config files and half the locations they are pointing at don’t exist. It is supposed to work straight after the install – Lord knows what I have done. Even tried a fresh download but that was no better…

I guess that last para will be lost on many of you… I know the feeling… all I will say is
    that computers can be so frustrating!

*Slight exaggeration… but very slight
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,631
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    Pop me a PM if you want a hand with that. Used to do a lot of webdev with Wordpress and MAMP. Bit rusty now but happy to have a go.
  • Options
    Thanks @NOSTRI - PM in the post!
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,347
    stokefc said:
    Cheers for the shout Stokey.

I have nil experience with Wordprsee and SQL, but ill give it a go if someones stuck.
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    edited April 2020
    Hi @QUICKFEET think you,your mother and the work you do is absolutely amazing. If you don't mind i will join you in your challenge. I normally play 4 PLO8 mtt's most night's after work but since the lockdown i have been put on furlough leave so i have added two afternoon games to my schedule. I will set the same time frame as yourself 19th-26th April and donate 26% of any profit i make. To be honest it will not be anything major as Sky only do low stake PLO8 but hopefully i can make a profit for your cause. I will finish my last game of the night then post my results for the last two night's.