You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bad Beats & Dark Horses

mushroom1mushroom1 Member Posts: 645
edited December 2020 in Poker Chat
Firstly, I'm hoping that it's OK for me to start a new thread?

A couple of years ago I created a thread named "A Losing Thread", which was an account of my exploits in, what I believed to the trappiest tournaments on the schedule; the daily mini's.

Unfortunately, changes to life and business meant I could no longer dedicate any regular time slots to poker so, naturally, the
thread died.

I know some forums have rules about starting multiple threads, with such crimes infuriating militant admin, however, I'm pretty sure it'll be no problem here?

Why am I back, anyway? Lockdown, obviously.

As we all know, lockdown has brought players of ranging ability (back) to online poker and I'm one of those to crawl out of the
woodwork and I'm playing poker regularly for the first time in over ten years.

For the majority of the 00's, I played 40+ hours a week alongside my current business with the latter ultimately forcing "serious" poker out of my life over a decade ago.

I've had spells of playing since, including on here, but despite always playing to win, the main objective of any brief comebacks was always entertainment. That could fall into the guise of many situations; due to missing the game, relieving boredom or simply a way to blow off steam after a stressful day elsewhere - which anyone who has witnessed by awful £5/10/20 NLHE spin-up game will testify.

Matters are a little different with this spell, though. Having something to occupy my time was a big factor but, being unable to make money with my main business during this time, money is also a main motivation.

Now, I'm not looking to, or even suggesting that I will, "make a living" with this project, but there is an aim to make a modest profit, just to keep things ticking over until we are released from our shackles.

I'm five weeks in and I am in profit (although 100% of which came in the first fortnight), I won't go into details as I don't want to be accused of boasting about my impressive hourly rate (sarcasm). Incidentally, in a rallying morale-boosting speech the other night, my other-half pointed out that I would've earned much more per hour working in McDonalds. I pointed out that she'd totally embarrassed herself as, due to their current closure, it would actually be impossible to achieve that presently. It's the little victories that keep you going within relationships. I chuckled to myself and replayed my comeback in my head as I ground out £17 profit over the following four hours.

As someone who often scrolls through their own Tweets, I was keen to start a thread to accompany my return to the fray. I decided against continuing my previous thread revolving around the daily minis. We all know they are a minefield and with variance though the roof at the moment (translation: lockdowners keep calling my 4-bet bluffs with second-pair), I'm not sure it would make for an entertaining thread.

While tales of woe and self deprecation have their merits, there is a line, and continuous updates of "Out. 915th of 1159. No hands of note" may prove tiresome.

For three main reasons, I decided to make this a thread about the £1,000 Mega Stack (£5.50 - Friday/Saturday 20:25).

1. It's a non-bounty deepstack, so we should see some play and hands of note to discuss.
2. I believe I have a decent record in this so far (will check history and confirm), which hopefully means updates of good and bad.
3. It only runs on a Friday and Saturday night and, currently, this is the only way I have of working out when it's the weekend.

Comments are always welcomed as well as discussion and advice on hands - I'm nowhere near the player I was, and the game is not the same as it was back in the day, so I'll need all the help I can get!

LIVE UPDATE: I've already lost 5% of my stack after the first 90 seconds of tonight's tournament.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129

@mushroom1

Lovely post Mr Mushroom.

"I know some forums have rules about starting multiple threads, with such crimes infuriating militant admin, however, I'm pretty sure it'll be no problem here?"

Nope, no problem at all here, and the Moderators are truly lovely people.

Hope the poker goes well for you, I noticed you cashed in a UKOPS PLO8 recently.

Without giving away any secrets, what line of work or business are you in?

• Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Will follow. Best of luck!
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    Such a fun guy.

Never got to use that line with @madprof last week, glad to have got it in now :)
  • Options
    Will update in full later.

Have cashed. Was chip leader with 35 to go but table at that time was maniacal and I spewed half my stack. Currently 11/31.

Couple of interesting hands that I would like some input on, will post later.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@mushroom1

Lovely post Mr Mushroom.

"I know some forums have rules about starting multiple threads, with such crimes infuriating militant admin, however, I'm pretty sure it'll be no problem here?"

Nope, no problem at all here, and the Moderators are truly lovely people.

Hope the poker goes well for you, I noticed you cashed in a UKOPS PLO8 recently.

Without giving away any secrets, what line of work or business are you in?

Thanks, Tikay. Yes, I know it's a friendly and welcoming place.

I'm in the horse racing industry. I desperately need some form of sport to return, however, I am generally pro-lockdown, so understand we have to be 100% certain of the effects if a return.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    "I'm in the horse racing industry."

Now that's interesting.

Again, don't give away anything you don't wish to, but what part of the horse racing industry? Employees of Sky Bet could claim that too, albeit tenuously. Breeding, Racecourse, Stables, Wetherbys, maybe a stud groom?

If you or anyone reading this is in the thoroughbred breeding industry, I'd love to chat.

GL at the tables, & keep us updated.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    In the racing industry, don’t you just sprout up everywhere?
  • Options
    Finished 7th of 302 last night, collecting a prize of £52.85.

The final hand was pretty unspectacular. Lying 6th of 7, 3-handed, 14 bb's, AJ on the button, shove, found AK in the bb.

I was clear chip-leader with 35 left, as mentioned above, but immediately after my table went crazy. One player was shoving all-in pre-flop every other hand with a 25+ bb stack. It was a very weird spell and it resulted in my losing half my stack, due to raise-folding.

After a number of those all-ins, the player in question started to find calls and it turns out he was shoving extremely light (no great surprise). I was never in a position to catch him, however, and after a while he sat-out and remained away until blinded out - he had a 20+ bb stack at the time.

Obviously, he had somewhere to be, hence the constant light shoves. And this was the most puzzling things of the entire evening. Where did he go? What was so important? He can't have a bedtime, he's over 18. He couldn't have a plane to catch, we are in lockdown.

And it wasn't something that happened out the blue, as his play proceeding his absence suggests he knew he was soon to be unavailable to play.

This will keep me up at night.

There are a couple of hands I want to post but, just to check, is it OK to copy and paste from history? Or is that bad etiquette, as it includes the names of other players?

Thanks to all for replies etc.

Tonight's starts in 20 mins or so.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,345
    I didnt realise theres was a 8:25 deepstack, thanks for the info.

Gl .
  • Options

@mushroom1

Normal etiquette is to remove the names of the other players if it is going to show them in a bad light. If it's just a standard discussion, not trying to diss, embarrass or denigrate the other player(s) it's fine to leave the names in.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,345
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited April 2020
    mushroom1 said:

There are a couple of hands I want to post but, just to check, is it OK to copy and paste from history? Or is that bad etiquette, as it includes the names of other players?

Yeah it's fine to copy/paste hands.

Would advise editing the villain's name out in certain situations. Tbh it's mostly common sense when you should do this - basically anything where leaving the player's name in the hand on a public forum could potentially cause them to be upset with what you're saying about the hand (Negative comments on how the opponent played the hand, hands where you suspect cheating, anything of that nature)

If you're just posting "Look at this sick FH v Quads exit hand", go ahead and leave names in there.

The one maybe not so obvious situation to remove names is if you want feedback/analysis on a hand - Removing the name is best so that people aren't applying their own reads/dynamics for that player to their thought process when giving advice. There's no 'etiquette' there as such, but it's probably in your best interests to avoid receiving any biased response.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550

After a number of those all-ins, the player in question started to find calls and it turns out he was shoving extremely light (no great surprise). I was never in a position to catch him, however, and after a while he sat-out and remained away until blinded out - he had a 20+ bb stack at the time.

Obviously, he had somewhere to be, hence the constant light shoves. And this was the most puzzling things of the entire evening. Where did he go? What was so important? He can't have a bedtime, he's over 18. He couldn't have a plane to catch, we are in lockdown.

In deepstacks you'll find peeps get bored/frustrated/annoyed. When reging they don't get the concept. Hence, shove, shove.....when they get ...

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Glenelg said:

In deepstacks you'll find peeps get bored/frustrated/annoyed. When reging they don't get the concept. Hence, shove, shove.....when they get ...

Drunk and fell asleep
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Is the brilliant, but attention-warranting, Twelve Monkeys the ideal film to watch while playing more than one table, during a virus-based lockdown?
  • Options
    An early exit tonight. 2-3 interesting hands, including the one that finished me off. Will post them later.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,724
    mushroom1 said:

Is the brilliant, but attention-warranting, Twelve Monkeys the ideal film to watch while playing more than one table, during a virus-based lockdown?

Yes. Blinding film
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I did not get round to posting about any hands from last week's tournaments. I was tied up for most of this week due to trying to explain the concept of DYM's to the other half.

Painful.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

mushroom1 said:

Yes. Blinding film
    Indeed. There aren't many films good enough to counteract Bruce Willis (playing himself) in a leading role, but this is one of the few...

This, Pulp Fiction, Sixth Sense, Sin City and maybe the Fifth Element. Not a great strike-rate.
  • Options
    Glenelg said:

I do think you have a point. There was one hand last week where a player shoved 9,800 into a pot of 200 (blind on blind) with K4 on a 33AK board. The SB was loving life with his K3.

With the case I mentioned, though, I'm not sure it was boredom as it was close to the money, or even in the money, when he disappeared - he cashed comfortably.