You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

One more diary/log sort of thing

Comments

• Options
    aynaricolaynaricol Member Posts: 322
    edited May 2020
    So for my first day's entry:

Today wasn't a great day - not terrible, but not great. Busted out of the UKOPS 30 3.30 in 74th when my kings got beaten by 86o hitting two pair on the river, and busted out of another MTT with my kings being beaten by aces. So not a good day for kings! As far as DYMs go, I reckon I won about half so have ended up a bit down from the rake. I do actually normally keep track, but didn't today (will remember tomorrow). All in all I ended up down £9 today to £131.

I know that I made a few silly mistakes in some DYMs today, for example couldn't resist my pocket aces when I was second short stack, and ended up losing to tens hitting a set. I usually can manage to fold aces pre flop if necessary, but not today apparently! I'm playing mostly 3.30s at the moment, so just not making a couple of those mistakes easily could have had me in profit today. Oh well, lesson learnt (until tomorrow, when I'll make the same mistakes again I'm sure)!

I think I'll probably stay away from the MTTs tomorrow as I'm really in a DYM mindset at the moment. When I'm playing anything else I cannot work out if I'm being too tight or too lose, and I've been making some horrible plays.

Also if anyone is wondering why I'm always playing and posting so late, it's because I am (was?) a bartender. Not much virtual bartending to be done unfortunately, but the sleeping habits don't go away so easily!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    Sounds like it would have been a mistake to fold Aces there

Sometimes we just have to go broke
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

You might be right - to be honest it's easy to say with hindsight I should have folded, but winning that would have given me a good boost and a bit of protection if the shorty had won their next race. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm underthinking or overthinking decisions like this!
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,443
    aynaricol said:

Jac35 said:

You might be right - to be honest it's easy to say with hindsight I should have folded, but winning that would have given me a good boost and a bit of protection if the shorty had won their next race. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm underthinking or overthinking decisions like this!
    Can understand folding AA pre if there are 2 players committed to going all in but in that spot its a shove it.
    You played it correctly which = +EV long term
  • Options

Can understand folding AA pre if there are 2 players committed to going all in but in that spot its a shove it.
    You played it correctly which = +EV long term

@TheEdge949 ok that's really good to know, thanks! :smile:
  • Options
    Day 2:

Another losing day, albeit a little bit better than yesterday. I did say that I would stay away from MTTs and I should have stuck to that! I lost about £12 on them today, with some more frustrating beats - first in the 3.30 rebuy BH at 9.30, AA (me) vs AQ vs 66 all in preflop, 6 on the flop. Rebought and 10 minutes later, KK (me) vs J9 vs 88 all in preflop, 8 on the turn. So tomorrow I will stick to the no MTTs!!

As far as DYMs go - played 26 turbos on various levels, of which I cashed in 16, and 17 regulars, of which I cashed in 10, leaving me just in profit for the day for DYMs.

DYMs:
    Staked: 106.15
    Return: 114
    Profit: 8.15

MTTs:
    Staked: 15.40
    Returned: 3.37
    Loss: 12.03

Cash:
    Staked: 2
    Returned: 0
    Loss: 2

Total loss: 5.88

• Options
    Day 3:

Today was very frustrating (as DYMs can be!) I did stick to only DYMs today, and looked like it was going to pay off. I was about £8 up 2 hours ago, and did think about calling it a day then, but I was on a good streak so decided to carry on. I then lost 4 5.50s in a row to take me under for the day. Ah well, such is life! I had a couple of bad beats (my AA vs lower pp losing against similar stacks and busting me two tables in a row) which knocked my confidence and really affected my playing. I know that's a big problem for me, and I either go one of two ways - start playing really wide, or really tight. Today I went really tight, because in my head every hand I had was beaten. Anyway, I'm down to £110 so will give myself one go at the 5.50s tomorrow before dropping down to 3.30s if I have to.

Interestingly, yesterday I cashed in 16/26 (61.5%) of my turbos and 10/17 (59%) of my regulars. Today was wildly different - I cashed in 2/12 (17%) of my turbos and 15/24 (62.5%) of my regulars. Not sure what that's all about, but definitely will be sticking to regular speed tomorrow!

Staked: 127.6
    Return: 112
    Loss: 15.6

Loss since day 1: £30
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,005

"I cashed in 2/12 (17%) of my turbos and 15/24 (62.5%) of my regulars. Not sure what that's all about"

Anya,

Be careful with those Turbos. Edges are very thin indeed even for the very best players, & the variance in them can be brutal.

If I were trying to have as much fun as possible whilst building a roll, I think I'd stick to regular speed DYM's.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

"I cashed in 2/12 (17%) of my turbos and 15/24 (62.5%) of my regulars. Not sure what that's all about"

Anya,

Be careful with those Turbos. Edges are very thin indeed even for the very best players, & the variance in them can be brutal.

If I were trying to have as much fun as possible whilst building a roll, I think I'd stick to regular speed DYM's.

@Tikay10 yep, lesson learnt! Only regular speed today, although I might throw in a 2.20 or 1.10 turbo
  • Options
    Day 4:

Much better day today! Was feeling good from the start, despite losing my first 5.50 (I was comfortable the whole way with 3-4000 chips and should have cashed, but unfortunately had a bit of a collapse on the bubble). I then dropped back down to 3.30s and had a much better run. Because I had a few things to do today (mostly just pub quizzes), I did end up playing a few turbos between things, almost entirely 2.20s, and had a nice run there too.

I was feeling much, much better today, and (gotta love that variance) felt like I was hitting everywhere, as opposed to yesterday where I couldn't seem to hit to save my life.

My cashing rate has been pretty consistent every day in DYMs, and absolutely no different today in the regulars, cashing in 8/13 (61.5%). My turbos went much, much better than yesterday and I cashed in 6/7, giving me my first profitable day!

I decided that, unlike yesterday, I would quit while I was ahead today, so am stopping playing a bit earlier than usual. I have cashed in 9 of my last 10 games, so that was bound to end somewhere!

Staked: 60.50
    Return: 72
    Profit: 11.50

Loss since day one: £18.50
  • Options
    Day 5:

Awful day. Only managed to cash in 9/22 (40.5%) regular DYMs, and 3/6 turbos. Had dropped way way down at one point but managed to pull about £15 in the last hour or so to bring me back to £100. Still not good. Very frustratingly almost every single table I lost went the same way, where I was second short stack on the bubble, shorty doubled up and I bottled it.

DYMs:
    Staked 96.25
    Return 71

Cash:
    Staked 2
    Return 5.69

Total loss: £21.56
    Loss since day one: £40
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Day 6:

Better day today. Made up most of what I lost yesterday, then lost it, then made half of it back again. Anyway, cashed in 14/23 (61%) of regular DYMs, and lost the one turbo I played. Plus a rewards cash bonus of £6.17, ended up £12 up for the day!

One of the last tables I played I noticed we had the most ridiculous calling station I've ever seen. What was very irritating was that he won 8 hands in a row, 5 of them at showdown, all with hands like 47o, 95o, just absolute junk, against hands like AK and KK. He didn't cash in the end though, thank god my AA held against his Q4. That might also be one of the perils of playing lots of late night poker!

DYMs:
    Staked 81.4
    Return 90

Cash:
    Staked 2
    Return 0

+Rewards 6.17

Total profit: £12.77

Loss since day one: £27

• Options

"One of the last tables I played I noticed we had the most ridiculous calling station I've ever seen. What was very irritating was that he won 8 hands in a row, 5 of them at showdown, all with hands like 47o, 95o, just absolute junk, against hands like AK and KK."

That's one of poker's peculiarities, that we so often see that sort of thing, & somehow they go on "streaks", It's particularly prevalent in PLO, PLO8 & even more so in Big O where hand equities run so close. In the end, of course, they usually do the lot, but they have some fun along the way. It's like cheats I suppose - they can get away with it for just so long, but eventually they come a cropper.
  • Options
    @Tikay10 was just glad he didn't cash! It's frustrating but that's life. Was just knocked out of a DYM by a guy that called my preflop raise with 83o and hit two pair. Oh well! If it was profitable everyone would be doing it and poker would not be a very fun game ;)

Anyway, Day 7:

Ended the day down but it wasn't terrible. I lost a few in a row at the beginning of the day so was just clawing back from there. I was actually down £24 at one point, but luckily a couple of good runs on the .10/.20 spin ups gave me a bit of a boot back up. Anyway, I'm just below £100 at the moment so I think from tomorrow I'm going to start playing as if from 0, starting with the 28p DYMs.

I did also try one MTT which went terribly. I was in DYM mode and ended up down half my starting stack pretty quickly. Plus 3 times in a row when I raised pre flop, the caller shoved on the flop. When I finally did hit, with AQ on a 4Q8 flop, I bet half pot and villain shoved. Figured they had a flush draw, with two clubs on the board, and called, and was delighted to see JJ. Turn 9, ok, fine, at least it's not a J. River 10. Fantastic. So my MTT lifespan for the week was about 10 minutes.

So I was out and about a bit today and didn't actually play a lot - cashed in a solid 0/6 (0%) of my regular DYMs. Like I said, bad start to the day! Decided after that to tidy my room a bit and go out for a walk, and played a couple of turbos while out and about. I don't know why, but I always seem to play better on my phone! I actually only ever played on my phone until about a month ago, and then switched to my laptop. I think knowing I can't see the chat is actually a bonus for me because I don't worry that I'm going to get abuse for playing a hand a certain way (which has only actually happened once since I've been on my laptop). Just a mental thing I guess. Moving on, cashed in 9/12 turbos (4/5 .28, 1/1 .55, 1/2 1.10 and 3/4 2.20).

Regular DYMs:

Staked 22
    Return 0

Turbo DYMs:

Staked 12.95
    Return 17
    Profit 4.05

Cash:

Staked 7.40
    Return 16.95
    Profit 9.55

MTTs:
    Staked 5.5
    Return 0

Total loss: £13.90

Loss since day one: £41
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Also, on a brighter note, here is one hand that went very much my way :)

This is actually the only hand that I have ever received abuse for the way I played it. Apparently I was a "novice" and a "fool" to bet on the flop because I was "way behind" - when I pointed out that was a pretty standard c-bet I was told "you just keep telling yourself that." I knew at the time that the flop did hit his range pretty well and tbh would have probably folded to a big raise, but I still think betting there was the right decision.

Would actually appreciate some feedback on this hand - was I wrong to bet on the flop? Should I have shoved on the river?

A couple of days later I saw the same player bet, and then call a raise, with 34o on a A5J board, only to hit two 4s on the turn and the river to beat out the raiser for a big pot (can't remember what the other guy had, possibly AQ or AK). He then was defending his tactics because he had a gutshot. Fair play, just about, but I reaaaaaally wanted to bring up this hand and the abuse he had given me. I prefer to be nice to people at the tables though so stayed out of it.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    aynaricolSmall blind25.0025.002210.00
    xBig blind50.0075.004090.00
    Your hole cards
    wayne19707Fold
    HelpurselfFold
    StevetrentFold
    aynaricolRaise125.00200.002085.00
    xCall100.00300.003990.00
    Flop
    • Q
    aynaricolBet150.00450.001935.00
    xCall150.00600.003840.00
    Turn
    aynaricolBet300.00900.001635.00
    xCall300.001200.003540.00
    River
    • Q
    aynaricolBet900.002100.00735.00
    xCall900.003000.002640.00
    aynaricolShow
    xMuck
    • K
    • Q
    aynaricolWinFull House, 8s and Queens3000.003735.00
  • Options

Take heart - you only get that sort of abuse when the villain loses the hand.

• Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,799
    Don't worry one bit about the idiots in chat - it's almost always from a losing player.

I'm not a DYM expert by any means... but I don't mind the c bet. Turn is beautiful, I would perhaps size up a little though, its a pretty wet board now, maybe 425-450. This also sets you up for a roughly potsize shove on all safe rivers, such as this one.
  • Options
    @goldnballz thanks for the advice - i'm still learning a lot about bet sizing so it's really helpful to get feedback like that on my hands! :)
  • Options
    Day 8:

Stuck to the 28p turbos today, and actually really enjoyed myself. I think playing too many 5.50s I had started to play too tight, so going back to the lower levels definitely helped me loosen up a bit. Slightly improved my ratio of cashed games, with 30/46 (65%). Will stick to the same plan tomorrow I reckon!

Staked: 13.42
    Return 16

Profit: 2.58

Loss since day one: £38.50
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Day 9:

Just another 28p turbo grinding day, so nothing particularly interesting. I did throw in one 1.10 regular, in which I cashed, which was nice. Definitely is a long, long grind at the 28p level and just feels like I'm getting nowhere, but then again 2.50 profit a day is better than £20 loss. Cashed in 27/42 turbos, plus the 1.10, for a cash rate of 65% again today.

Did also have one nice little run of luck in one of my games, or could be described as terrible luck for another player. 5 remaining, player two to my right is big stack and shoves, gets called by player to my right who has AA which holds. Very next hand I wake up with AA, the first player shoves again pre flop and I call, he has me covered but not by much and aces hold to leave him with maybe 2bb. Next hand I have AKs and raise, everyone folds. Could not believe my eyes when again, very next hand, AA. And I felt awful when the first player went all in, and again, aces hold and he's out. Luckily it was just a 28p DYM and he took it on the chin, and hung around to chat a bit. I think if someone in a tournament ran into AA on 3 out of 4 hands in a row to go from big stack to bust, they would be raging. And on a related note, I wish I'd had that run at a slightly higher level than 28p!

Staked 12.86
    Return 15.50

Profit 2.64

Loss since day one: £35.80