You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

One more diary/log sort of thing

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,426

Just reading back, you seem to have a natural feel for DYM's. You had a 1st & a 2nd in Streak Week if I'm not mistaken? And now you are trundling along nicely.

Keep it going, don't lose your patience or discipline, & continue to enjoy it. You'd be surprised how many people play a whole lot of poker but don't actually enjoy it, as they get angry when they lose. You'll be just fine.
  • Options
    aynaricolaynaricol Member Posts: 319
    @Tikay10 I'm not so sure, especially after today! :s I definitely have a better time with DYMs than anything else, but then that might just be the mindset that I'm in at the moment. I'm quite an impatient person so that might be something to do with it - I get a bit frustrated if I'm in an MTT for 3 hours only to bust just before the bubble and come away with nothing to show. As for streak week, I am a super competitive person and so put a challenge in front of me and I am not giving up til I've won :D I am definitely enjoying myself, though, which is the main thing! And thank you for the words of encouragement :)
  • Options
    Day 10:

Not a particularly productive day today poker-wise - I could literally have spent the whole day not playing and been in exactly the same place. Or 2p better off to be exact. But that's alright! Just spent the day grinding 28p turbos again, so not much interesting to report. I fell asleep at about midnight, like a normal person, but then woke up again at 3, hence why its now after 5am and I'm still online. Should probably try and work on getting my sleeping schedule back on track :#

Did have one peculiar fellow at two tables just now who was masquerading as being away but was actually there - very strange. He would be set as away and then come back every single time it was his go, and then every single time let himself time out instead of check or fold. I saw him play maybe 5 hands total across the two tables, once he limped and all the other times he jammed. Very very frustrating as he was timing out every single hand, which meant the game lasted twice as long as it needed to. Never before have I seen a turbo DYM reach level 11.

I did also play one 1.10 regular DYM in which I cashed, but again lasted longer than necessary as there was an away player but the two other players on the bubble kept going at each other unnecessarily. Not only that but the player to the right of the away guy kept limping in small blind and then checking through, giving away chips for free. I then took over raising to away's bb and sb decided to come along for the ride every time. Ahhh well.

Anyway, played 39 turbos, of which I cashed in 20, plus the 1.10, to bring me to a total loss today of 2p.

That makes my total loss since day one £35.80 - but on a more positive note, since I have reset from zero and started at the lowest level 3 days ago I have a profit of £5.20. So that's something!
  • Options

"Not only that but the player to the right of the away guy kept limping in small blind and then checking through, giving away chips for free."

Not many things in poker more annoying than that.

You kinda feel like typing in the chat box - "HE'S AWAY, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT MEANS?" but of course you can't really.
  • Options
    Day 11/12:

The less said about saturday the better - awful day on the 28p turbos, only cashed in 3/14. And being my pub quiz day, I probably had a few too many ciders and realised that, much like speaking another language or snowboarding, poker is one of the things that I get much better at after a drink or two, and then become much, much, much worse. I think I only played 3 games, but I went higher than I should be going at the moment so probably blew about £5. Doesn't sound like a lot, but that was my total profit over the 3 previous days. Luckily I did realise that I should stop and I went to bed.

Today, on the other hand, was much, much better. I've given up on the 28p turbos because they are, quite frankly, horrible after a while. So switched to the 55p regular speed DYMs - still a low buy in, but I needed to get away from the turbos. I didn't have loads of time to play today, mostly spent the day feeling sorry for myself after the aforementioned ciders. I played 20 games total, 18 regular and 2 turbos, and cashed in 16 of them. Woohoo! So I basically ended up where I was yesterday evening. Tomorrow I'll carry on with the 55p regulars, and see where that takes me.

I did have a couple of funny games today - the last game I played was over in 10 hands, of which I think I played 1, and there was one earlier that started while I was in the late stages of another, so I wasn't 100% concentrating, and it was over before I'd even played a hand. Easy money!

So today:

Staked £11
    Return £16
    Profit £5

Total loss since day 1: £38
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    Hi

Just catching up on thread. Did you get any feedback on the AK hand on page 1. I,m just a rec myself so don,t like to comment to much on hand analysis but for me its a reluctant fold. Just looks very trappy with the check on the flop and your too deep to stack off imo.

GL with the DYM,s
  • Options

@aynaricol

I just want to pick up on something you wrote after what you thought was a bad day, a few days ago;

"Not a particularly productive day today poker-wise - I could literally have spent the whole day not playing and been in exactly the same place. Or 2p better off to be exact".

We know what you mean, but you played for x hours & it cost you nothing. As a recreational player, that's pretty good, surely? An evening at the pub, cinema, Netflix Subscription, bowling alley or whatever all cost money. But you really enjoy poker, & played it for x hours & it cost you nothing. That'd be a big "tick" for me.

Always worth remembering that typically, "entertainment" costs us money. Watching Sky TV or Amazon, having a drink, or any number of recreational activities, all cost money. But you played poker for x hours & it cost you nothing.

I'd say you were a winner that day.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,791
    MP33 said:

Hi

Just catching up on thread. Did you get any feedback on the AK hand on page 1. I,m just a rec myself so don,t like to comment to much on hand analysis but for me its a reluctant fold. Just looks very trappy with the check on the flop and your too deep to stack off imo.

GL with the DYM,s

Personally I'd never be folding AK in that spot. Unless I've tagged the villain as a super nit. I may very well be a station though :)
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    Tikay10 said:

@aynaricol

I just want to pick up on something you wrote after what you thought was a bad day, a few days ago;

"Not a particularly productive day today poker-wise - I could literally have spent the whole day not playing and been in exactly the same place. Or 2p better off to be exact".

We know what you mean, but you played for x hours & it cost you nothing. As a recreational player, that's pretty good, surely? An evening at the pub, cinema, Netflix Subscription, bowling alley or whatever all cost money. But you really enjoy poker, & played it for x hours & it cost you nothing. That'd be a big "tick" for me.

Plus you,ve had x hours of experience. I always make notes on players. So if i don,t win that day at least i feel i,ve learnt something

• Options
    @Tikay10 @MP33 that's true! Although I think it differs with different kinds of poker. Playing low level turbos all day and losing half of them does just feel like banging your head against a brick wall!

On the other hand, today was a losing day for me but I did feel like it was more productive since I was playing the regular speed DYMs. I feel like I wasn't playing particularly well, and again one of those days when I feel like I just can't hit, so end up playing a mix of too tight, and then too lose.

Anyway, played a total of 19 DYMs, of which I cashed in 7. Not ideal, but again, it is what it is! Tomorrow is another day.

Staked 10.45
    Return 7
    Loss 3.45

Total loss since day one: 41.60
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 935
    It was good to see you at some of the tables again last night. It can be a grind at times - especially when it seems everything is going against you.

As you know, I am doing a similar diary/challenge as you, so please ask if I can answer anything, and i'll try my best.

Good luck at the tables

• Options
    @thedazzman always good to see you at the tables. I've been keeping up with your log as well and you've been doing fantastic! Keep it up :)
  • Options
    Day 13:

Day of two halves today. Played a few DYMs in the morning (my morning that is... so like 2pm) and started off well, cashing in 3 of my first 4, before going on a losing streak of 7. Ouch. I then switched to turbos and cashed in one, so took a break after losing another one. Had another little session before dinner and cashed in 2/4 turbos.

This evening went much, much better, and I cashed in 7/9 of my regular DYMs and 2/2 of my turbo 28ps. Would have liked to have played more, but traffic is definitely decreasing at night and tables haven't been filling up much after about 1am (as previously stated, I am slightly nocturnal). Definitely need to alter my sleep schedule!

In one of my last DYMs I did have a slightly uncomfortable experience, as the player to my left was having a bit of a go at me. It started after I raised in sb with A3o and he called with 89o, both checked through and I won with ace high. He was angry that I'd played rag ace, I noted that it was fair in sb and I wouldn't normally. I then was not getting any playable hands, and a good 15 minutes later I raised again on the button, he folded and bb was away. He then started going on about how I always raise into his blinds, when it was the second time I'd done it the whole game. Again a few orbits later, I'm down to just over 3bb and he's not far ahead of that, I shove in sb with KJ and he folds, and when I show to reassure him it wasn't junk, he starts raging and calling me full of s***. I'm slightly confused at this point, and we both busted very shortly after that so it didn't escalate, but not really sure what to make of this. I don't really have any problems with abuse in the chat box if it's after a bad beat or something like that, but this was just weird. I'm a very non-confrontational person, and as I've said before I like to get along with the others at the table, so I didn't really know how to deal with this :/ Anyway. Rant over!

So

Staked today £14.86
    Return £14
    Loss 86p
  • Options
    And on a happier note, how to win a turbo DYM in one hand (by having a lot of luck) ;)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Parley1218Small blind25.0025.00580.00
    ShagnastyBig blind50.0075.00915.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    • K
    aynaricolRaise150.00225.001765.00
    kegman158All-in910.001135.000.00
    411600All-in690.001825.000.00
    SharpyBlueAll-in915.002740.000.00
    Parley1218Fold
    ShagnastyFold
    aynaricolCall765.003505.001000.00
    aynaricolShow
    • K
    • K
    kegman158Show
    • Q
    • Q
    411600Show
    • J
    • J
    SharpyBlueShow
    • A
    • K
    Flop
    Turn
    River
    aynaricolWinTwo Pairs, Kings and 5s3505.004505.00
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    "In one of my last DYMs I did have a slightly uncomfortable experience, as the player to my left was having a bit of a go at me. It started after I raised in sb with A3o and he called with 89o, both checked through and I won with ace high. He was angry that I'd played rag ace"

You just have to ignore that sort of nonsense.

Unless he pays for your entries, it's your right to raise with whatever cards you wish, & his right to defend if he so wishes.

There's nothing even slightly improper about attempting to steal blinds.

There is something very wrong about someone getting uppity about it in the chat box.

There are a very small minority of players here who dish out some pretty vile abuse in the chat box. Don't be getting all defensive in your mind when they do, just ignore them.

I can tell you that if I ever ran Sky Poker I'd ban every one of them. Not chat ban, ban ban, close their account. These people should be utterly ashamed of themselves, getting bent out of shape over a game of poker.

Pfft, now look what you've done, you've started me off.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    Some people really do get very upset when you steal their BBs in a Dym. One player in particular (a reg) is always saying to me how useless I am and how I have no skill and just go all in on his blind all the time. I love it when he is at my table. When you come across morons like this it is best just to laugh at them and be glad of the fact that someone who clearly doesn't understand the concept of Dym's is at your table.

Most other sites that run these type sng's don't allow chat during games, ban chat near bubble or atleast ban observer chat which stops players dishing out abuse after elimination. Isnt there something that could be done here on sky?
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 935
    I agree with the above. Stealing blinds is very much part DYM strategy, And using the chat to berate anyones' play should not be tolerated.

Personally, 95% of the time I ignore what's said in the chat, however, usually if a player is using the chat feature a lot, you can almost safely assume they are using poker as a sort of social event. and therefore can assume they are very much of the recreational type and won't know the very basics to playing semi-competently.

Another point I'd make regarding stealing blinds. If the shoes were on the other foot, and someone was stealing your BB a lot, you would not like it very well, and would need to just grin and bear it, however, if you were in the BB and these players were playing the way that they seem to believe is correct - and I have come across them very frequently in recent weeks - They would limp their SB into your BB and I love it actually. Just about every orbit you are likely to get a free look at a flop.

So would you rather have a free look at a flop, or be forced to fold because someone shoved/raised your BB? Maybe that's why some players get so angry because they don't know any other way to counteract the 'steal blind' play or not confident enough to steal themselves! :/:/

Good luck at the tables.
  • Options
    JingleMaJingleMa Member Posts: 1,319
    I understand the sentiment Greg but speech/chat have always played a fascinating part in the social and psychological aspects of poker, so I think banning them would be bad in terms of attracting and retaining new and recreational players, who are ultimately the lifeblood of the game.

If you've got someone ranting or spouting off, it's usually a good thing, as it means that you're winning and/or they're tilting and likely to spew off their chips as well as their words so you'll be winning soon.

Bring more Russians.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    edited May 2020
    JingleMa said:

I understand the sentiment Greg but speech/chat have always played a fascinating part in the social and psychological aspects of poker, so I think banning them would be bad in terms of attracting and retaining new and recreational players, who are ultimately the lifeblood of the game.

If you've got someone ranting or spouting off, it's usually a good thing, as it means that you're winning and/or they're tilting and likely to spew off their chips as well as their words so you'll be winning soon.

Bring more Russians.

I mostly agree. As you have probably noticed I'm not against a bit of chat myself. I like some banter and rivalry with the other regs but too many people berate and insult players who are clearly just learning or playing for fun. So despite enjoying the chat function myself I don't think the player pool is big enough these days to allow people to act in a manner that will stop others from enjoying the game.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,484
    gregkdy82 said:

JingleMa said:

Bring more Russians.

I mostly agree. As you have probably noticed I'm not against a bit of chat myself. I like some banter and rivalry with the other regs but too many people berate and insult players who are clearly just learning or playing for fun. So despite enjoying the chat function myself I don't think the player pool is big enough these days to allow people to act in a manner that will stop others from enjoying the game.
    This