You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

One more diary/log sort of thing

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,005

^^^^

@aynaricol

That's a really unusual hand. The flop could not have been more perfect for you, in effect (ties excepted) it killed ll the other hands.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited May 2020
    So again, can't not post because another great day today - started out with a 3.30 timed which didn't last long, but shortly followed by a 5.50 BH in which I FT bubbled, cashing at £28.12. That was a funny tournament, got a bounty on the very first hand after I flopped an 8 high straight, villain with jacks. Got another two bounties on the same hand not long after, but didn't improve much from there. Ended up in really bad shape, and when down to about 30 runners I was right down at the bottom of the field. Somehow managed to stick around until the bubble, at which point I think I was down to about 1.5BB. I then had a run of luck, doubling up with 77 vs AQ, and shortly after picking up aces and big stack calling my shove with A5. Up to about 10BB I wound up with quad 9s and doubling up again, and trip queens not long after (although no double up there). Down to 7, ended up flipping against a similar sized stack with AQs vs 88. Saw the ace on the flop and breathed a sigh of relief, until I
    noticed the 8 right there next to it. Ah well!

Reads like a 5F sprint commentary.

The forum is littered with good writers.
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 937
    Very well done in the last few days. Back to winning ways, which is always nice. And I am pleased for you. You were having a bit of a torrid time recently.

That spin it up hand looks wild. Thankfully it paid off for you.

I'll be honest, and say I've only ever played spin it ups when I'm a bit tilty, and I have tried to play cash exclusively on so many occasions, but again, I get tilty before I can properly start. Maybe I'll give it another bash in the future if I can prove myself by succeeding over a prolonged time with my challenge. Afterall, I believe by grasping DYMs it would help understand the shortstack play of spin it ups quite well.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    aynaricolaynaricol Member Posts: 322

Very well done in the last few days. Back to winning ways, which is always nice. And I am pleased for you. You were having a bit of a torrid time recently.

I'll be honest, and say I've only ever played spin it ups when I'm a bit tilty, and I have tried to play cash exclusively on so many occasions, but again, I get tilty before I can properly start. Maybe I'll give it another bash in the future if I can prove myself by succeeding over a prolonged time with my challenge. Afterall, I believe by grasping DYMs it would help understand the shortstack play of spin it ups quite well.

Keep up the good work!

@thedazzman Thank you :) Yeah it hadn't been a good couple of weeks haha. To be honest I think I only play spin ups when I'm a bit tilty as well - last night I had just lost in an MTT and two DYMs back to back so just felt like blowing off some steam, which ended up going well for me!

By the way, yesterday I was thinking about what you said about getting a free look at the flop with small blinds limping. Final stages of an MTT, I'm pretty short, small blind limped and I have Q9o, which I probably would have folded to a raise, and ended up doubling up with quad 9s. Lovely! :)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

^^^^

@aynaricol

That's a really unusual hand. The flop could not have been more perfect for you, in effect (ties excepted) it killed ll the other hands.

@Tikay10 I know, I don't think I've ever seen the entire table all in before! But you're right, it was perfect :)
  • Options
    aynaricol said:

Keep up the good work!

@thedazzman Thank you :) Yeah it hadn't been a good couple of weeks haha. To be honest I think I only play spin ups when I'm a bit tilty as well - last night I had just lost in an MTT and two DYMs back to back so just felt like blowing off some steam, which ended up going well for me!

By the way, yesterday I was thinking about what you said about getting a free look at the flop with small blinds limping. Final stages of an MTT, I'm pretty short, small blind limped and I have Q9o, which I probably would have folded to a raise, and ended up doubling up with quad 9s. Lovely! :)
    When you tilt, you tend to be more aggressive and less patient and take more risks. So naturally, sometimes it does pay off. However, when tilting, because you are playing sub-optimally, it doesn't work out very often.

BBS - Big Blind Specials are always lovely. Another thing about the limping SBs, I'm not sure if I mentioned this last time, but you have position on them also. That's why I love the players who tend to make up the blinds from the SB with any two cards. Even better, then they don't even c-bet and always check it down with nothing.

What's better than a free flop? A free board! :D
  • Options
    So the last couple of days have gone terribly, with the exception of running reasonably well in the mini predator last night. Today is a write off, everything just going awful. One of those days where literally nothing hits, I know it happens to everyone but it is frustrating. I've had maybe 15 pps and haven't made a single set, none of my draws have hit, and I can't count the number of times I bet and got shoved on. I'm tilting massively so I'm going to take a couple of days off and enjoy the nice weather.

Incredibly frustrating as well to get abuse, being called an "idiot" and told to "stick to bingo love" from somebody for calling a small bet with top pair (KT on a ten high board) when there were 3 clubs on the board, when he was betting with 29ss.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Please tell me how on earth anything I did here was a "silly call" (I know I could probably have played this hand better. But I don't think my call was wrong at all)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    aynaricolSmall blind15.0015.002175.00
    xBig blind30.0045.005285.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    DiabloFishFold
    MurphyRobFold
    mufcbobFold
    barowcudaaRaise90.00135.001247.50
    aynaricolCall75.00210.002100.00
    xCall60.00270.005225.00
    Flop
    aynaricolCheck
    xBet30.00300.005195.00
    barowcudaaCall30.00330.001217.50
    aynaricolCall30.00360.002070.00
    Turn
    aynaricolCheck
    xBet120.00480.005075.00
    barowcudaaFold
    aynaricolCall120.00600.001950.00
    River
    aynaricolCheck
    xCheck
    aynaricolShow
    • K
    xMuck
    aynaricolWinPair of 10s600.002550.00
  • Options
    Firstly, I wouldn't let any table talk discourage you in any way. It's just that, trash talk.

If that sort of trash talk affects your play in any way, I would suggest to just click on a different tab and that way you won't see any chat at all. Or better yet, if a particular player is starting to frustrate you, simply mute them. More fool them if they start chatting to themselves.

I'm definitely one that understands how frustrating poker can be, but if you play enough volume all these things even themselves out and beyond if you are playing decent enough poker. The best thing to do is what you have done. Ask questions, read articles and other players' experiences, follow all types of poker material (YouTube, podcasts, Pros on social media etc). I'll admit, I don't really dedicate much time to finding leaks in my game and improving. So posting your hand history is an ideal way to improve.

With that being said, I'm usually weary of giving any type of specific advice, as I am always afraid it is bad advice, however, since you and I are both pretty much playing the same games at the moment, I'll give my tuppence worth.

Personally, I would be folding this hand preflop. Particularly at this stage of a DYM.

My reasons why;

1) You are out of position [the worst], which is never a good thing.
    2) By calling, you are giving the Big Blind better odds to call (as happened, and their stack covers yours), and in doing so, increasing the pot. So you likely now need to beat 2 players.
    3) Your hole cards aren't particularly strong. Even if you hit something, you have no idea where you stand in the hand.
    4) Your stack is still healthy. The best strategy in a DYM is to be as tight as possible in the first few blind levels, and let the others knock each other out. Your stack is best conserved for when the blinds are higher and you have enough of a stack to be able to steal/re-steal.

As played however,

On the flop, it's basically a nothing bet, and you should be taking notes of what that size of bet (minimum/very low compared to pot) signifies with that Villain. (Okay, I'm not good at doing this myself, but I think it's decent advice)

Even though the bet is small, and in other formats of poker, it may be correct to call. But on this occasion, the flop is both straighty and flushy. You still only hold King High. The initial bet did not get a fold from Villain 2, and you are still against 2 other players.

On the turn, you hit your Ten. It is also a club. At least Villain's bet this time got Villain2 to fold. Now, you must start thinking about what range of cards Villain may be holding. Although easier said than done, a check raise at this point from you may be more beneficial. You have hit one of your desired cards, and if you think you are ahead at this point, a raise could be a good line - Generally you get far more information from raising rather than calling and the same applies to betting rather than checking - You are asking a question from Villain rather than him asking you the questions, and at the same time showing strength. The raise does not need to be big either, just enough to get the answer to your question. You may even take the pot down there and then. And also by doing this, you are more likely to induce a check down on the river, rather than facing another [larger] bet, which would be tricky if you still hold top pair decent kicker. A possibility could even be a semi bluff if the 4th club or the 4-card straight came on the river.

On the river seemed like the deadest card that could come. So if you thought calling on the turn was good enough, then a value bet here probably would have been a bit better. The good thing was you did not lose any more chips on the river, but you also did not gain any more. The check down was probably the best result. You also got to see what trash Villain played with.

Anyway, those are my quick thoughts. I would take them with a pinch of salt, as my knowledge of game theory is not that great, or at least, my attempts to explain it!

Hopefully you get more input.

One more thing I think applies to all forms of evaluation of poker. Just repeatedly ask yourself the question. WHY? WHY? WHY? Question every action you take, and ask yourself why you are doing it. Every action you take in poker must have a reason attached. Simply put and as cliched as it sounds... If it's a good reason for doing a particular action you should do it, but if there is no good reason for doing it, don't do it.

Good luck at the tables.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,353
    Your line pre-flop is questionable. After that, fine.

"x"'s line is terribad. Pre-flop is a fold, and that turn bet is terrible-clear need to check or bet bigger.

If "x" thinks you are playing that wrong, then I would take that as a good sign :)
  • Options
    @thedazzman @Essexphil thank you for the feedback - I really appreciate having a full walk through of my hand like that, really helps me see where I went wrong! Definitely some points there I hadn't even thought of. Anyway, was definitely was tilting at this point and starting to play very passively. It seemed like every time I bet somebody would reraise or even shove, so I just stopped betting. I should have also mentioned this was a BH, not a DYM.

I was fairly new to this table so didn't have any good reads up until this point. Villain was playing some truly awful hands the whole way through, and winning with them unfortunately. Saw him beat out aces twice with really questionable hands like 62o.

I will never in a million years claim that I played this hand even vaguely well, but I cannot for the life of me see how it warrants being called an idiot from somebody playing with that junk. Anyway, lesson learnt, notes made (actually that player currently has exactly one word in their notes section, and it's not a very nice one) and onwards we march :smiley:
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,005

@aynaricol

I know it's frustrating, but you WANT these players to make bad calls. Sure, they hit now & then, & it always seems to be when we most need to hold, but very often we are getting it in as an 80-20 favourite, & so that means we win the coup 800 times out of every 1,000. It's like printing money.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@aynaricol

I know it's frustrating, but you WANT these players to make bad calls. Sure, they hit now & then, & it always seems to be when we most need to hold, but very often we are getting it in as an 80-20 favourite, & so that means we win the coup 800 times out of every 1,000. It's like printing money.

That's true - ended up on a spin up table with said player today and unfortunately wasn't hitting very well but the big stack at the table was making a LOT of money off of them.
  • Options
    Just a quick update, as I said I was going to take a couple of days off. I didn't quite, but I did cut back a lot. Yesterday ended up down to about £90 before twice spinning £5 up to £30, and then won a middle of the night freezeout for just over £50, bringing me back up to £160. Phew!

I was way way down right the way through the freezeout. I don't like multitabling much, especially when it's the middle of the night and I'm tired and a few drinks in, but I was right down and not expecting to last much longer, so joined a BH about to start. Wasn't running too badly in that one but unfortunately lost out with aces vs AKss hitting a flush. In the meantime, I gained a little bit back in the freezeout, and after sitting right at the very bottom of the field right the way through, when down to two tables I was clawing my way back thanks to a very loose big stack on my table and some good cards. On the FT we started with one mega stack, one big stack, and 4 small (me being one at the higher end of the small stacks), outlasted one of the small stacks and then big stack busted against the mega, leaving four. Got really lucky when the whole field limped and I hit two pair in bb with 92 on a 9 high board, shoving and knocking out one of the other shorties who had 76 two pair. At this point I have maybe double the small stack, but about 1/10 of the big stack. Luckily I noticed that big stack was min betting every single street, and folding to most bets, which was great for me to sit back and rake in the chips whenever I hit anything. Last short stack was out before long, and big stack continuing to min raise quickly brought me up to almost level. Made a breakthrough, again by sb limping, and I hit two pair with J6 vs his two pair 9T. I will be completely honest, I hadn't noticed at first that I even had two pair, I thought I had J3 for some reason. Anyway, he shoved and I called. At this point I have 57bb vs their 8, force them all in on the next hand with A9 vs his KQ and hit a full house. Game over. It's been a long time since I won an MTT, and even though there were only about 35 runners I'm chuffed to bits :)
  • Options
    Been a few days without posting - unfortunately got a little bit spewy and ran my balance right down to about £80 so thought that was about time to withdraw before it was all gone. At the end of the day I deposited £5 back in mid april and that had lasted me until early june so can't complain at all. I took out £60 and left £20, but that was gone before long as well. So, I'll deposit another £10 and see where that takes me!

I did also get some great news yesterday that I'll be back at work in two weeks, with a promotion, which I cannot wait for!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Also, how annoying is it when your table doesn't open up in time and this happens??

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Pedro2008Small blind15.0015.00985.00
    chinchinBig blind30.0045.00970.00
    Your hole cards
    • K
    • K
    aynaricolFold
    TidyTrax70Fold
    wizbit7406Fold
    DARWISHFold
    Pedro2008Call15.0060.00970.00
    chinchinCheck
    Flop
    • K
    Pedro2008Check
    chinchinBet30.0090.00940.00
    Pedro2008Call30.00120.00940.00
    Turn
    Pedro2008Check
    chinchinBet60.00180.00880.00
    Pedro2008Call60.00240.00880.00
    River
    • A
    Pedro2008Check
    chinchinCheck
    Pedro2008Show
    chinchinMuck
    Pedro2008WinTwo Pairs, 8s and 7s240.001120.00
  • Options
    So it's been a few weeks since I posted - went through a bit of a spewy spell! I was depositing £5 or £10 at a time and blowing through it in a day max, so in the end decided to give that strategy a rest. I had £25 left of my deposit limit so decided to just put that in all at once and see where it took me.

I've been playing mostly MTTs, along with some .10/.20 spin up cash games and the occasional DYM. That £25 has been up and down, mostly hovering around the £50 mark but was down to £11 yesterday. Luckily some generous players at the spin up tables let me turn £2 into £20 in the space of about 10 minutes, and a second place in a 1.10 rebuy this afternoon bumped me back up again to £70.

I'm going to start logging again I think, it was helping me mostly with my BRM, and I was quite enjoying keeping a record of what was going on. I'll carry on mostly playing the 1.10 - 3.30 MTTs, with the occasional 5.50. I'll add in some satellites as well - I've made it to the £33 buy in £2000 BH twice this week, unfortunately get a bit too in my head at that level and forget how to play.

And on the personal side, as I mentioned in the forum comp thread I was supposed to be heading off to France for work a week ago but that fell through. Hoping that quarantine restrictions are lifted soon, otherwise you lot are stuck with me!
  • Options
    teamclauteamclau Member Posts: 56
    ohhh you have one of these blog thingys too :) I will follow, gl gl
  • Options
    teamclau said:

ohhh you have one of these blog thingys too :) I will follow, gl gl

TY - not a very successful blog however, as you will see :D
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Today was a bit of a funny day, didn't play much as saturday is my quiz day.

Started the day with £64 which was depleting rapidly. Finished the 9am 1.10 rebuy in 12th, two off the money unfortunately. Tried a 2.20 TBH in the afternoon, got one bounty before busting, and then had to leave the next 1.10 rebuy because I had some stuff to do.

As I said today was quiz day so no playing in the evening, but tipsy-regged a 5.50 turbo when I finished and ended up 6th with a few bounties, so finishing the day on £85 £90. Poker is one of those things where I feel like I can do a bit better if I've had a couple of drinks, and after that get significantly worse. Must have hit the sweet spot tonight, and definitely had a bit of luck on my side.

On the job front, looks like quarantine restrictions will be lifting soon. Woohoo!