You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Racism.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,969
    Cammykaze said:

The police are getting cut and the job is definitely not what it was years ago. They deal with too much **** and it is a tough job. No love, dealing with idiots and trying to stay professional. From a service side a bit of a nightmare.

Would hazard a guess a good few police officers are not particularly happy in their job with the additional pressure being put on them. Feel the same about the NHS staff.

I think that police officers deserve some sympathy, but the police force leaves a lot to be desired.
    In the same way you have to admire the front line staff in the NHS, but the management of it doesnt seem very good.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Maybe strayed in part however it's very frustrating. Racism is one part of a big societal picture.

We have moved a long way from British Rail openly not allowing coloured people to be considered for some jobs.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Don't blame any police officer who uses their own camera and mic to refute any racism claims.

What a dog of a job that is and is becoming. Too much histrionics from the public to make that a good job.

We talk too much (as a population) about our entitlement, our rights and about what gender we want to be referred to instead of looking out for one another which is the basis of human decency.

Race, colour and gender should be a non-issue. Going with what the news media report on and a couple of personal experiences these topics are a big thing and causes people to be more wary of saying too much or self-censoring some words. Some words cannot be defended of course and it's going back to common sense and courtesy.

BLM I am sure had started with the best of intentions by people who had genuine concerns about how black people are marginalised. I completely understand and agree with that, they have been and continue to be as a whole. What I don't agree with is the "brand" of BLM being used in so many parts of society to almost batter people into submission if they don't agree with certain areas of it.

I was watching the boxing last night and there was a BLM symbol at the corner of the screen. Boxing is political enough as it is and seems this idea isn't going to go away any time soon. Right in some ways however it's difficult to completely get behind when it's in your face so much. Sport and politics should stay seperate and it's not the best way to get the message across in my view.

A few have mentioned that it's down to education and I think it's upbringing as well. Anytime I see a child being inappropriate my immediate thought goes to what the childs home life and parents are like. Silent parental judging going on there :naughty:

There is no handbook for parenting as a wise man once told me :smiley:

We seem to go around in circles on these debates and never get anywhere.

How do you deal with people that have no respect for authority?

I am certain that someone will be suggesting National Service soon, for the millionth time, which I think would be a very good idea.
    I believe in mandatory National Service for late teenagers. Wouldn't do many teenagers much harm. This is not an attack on the teenagers of the day. Personally wouldn't have done myself much harm like a load of people who are now in the 20s/30s and 40s I'm sure.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Don't blame any police officer who uses their own camera and mic to refute any racism claims.

What a dog of a job that is and is becoming. Too much histrionics from the public to make that a good job.

We talk too much (as a population) about our entitlement, our rights and about what gender we want to be referred to instead of looking out for one another which is the basis of human decency.

Race, colour and gender should be a non-issue. Going with what the news media report on and a couple of personal experiences these topics are a big thing and causes people to be more wary of saying too much or self-censoring some words. Some words cannot be defended of course and it's going back to common sense and courtesy.

BLM I am sure had started with the best of intentions by people who had genuine concerns about how black people are marginalised. I completely understand and agree with that, they have been and continue to be as a whole. What I don't agree with is the "brand" of BLM being used in so many parts of society to almost batter people into submission if they don't agree with certain areas of it.

I was watching the boxing last night and there was a BLM symbol at the corner of the screen. Boxing is political enough as it is and seems this idea isn't going to go away any time soon. Right in some ways however it's difficult to completely get behind when it's in your face so much. Sport and politics should stay seperate and it's not the best way to get the message across in my view.

A few have mentioned that it's down to education and I think it's upbringing as well. Anytime I see a child being inappropriate my immediate thought goes to what the childs home life and parents are like. Silent parental judging going on there :naughty:

I am certain that someone will be suggesting National Service soon, for the millionth time, which I think would be a very good idea.
    I believe in mandatory National Service for late teenagers. Wouldn't do many teenagers much harm. This is not an attack on the teenagers of the day. Personally wouldn't have done myself much harm like a load of people who are now in the 20s/30s and 40s I'm sure.
    I would be very much in favour of it.
    It would teach them to respect authority, that they have to do what they are told, and give some a purpose.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Maybe it should be University, an Apprenticeship, or the Army, and if you drop out of Uni, or pack up the Apprenticeship, straight to the Army.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,551
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

So conscription of I understand right would these teenagers then be required to go and fight for our country in the army in other countries? eg in situations like the Iraq war etc. I am not sure I feel great about sending young people who did not enlist into a potential war zone.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

So conscription of I understand right would these teenagers then be required to go and fight for our country in the army in other countries? eg in situations like the Iraq war etc. I am not sure I feel great about sending young people who did not enlist into a potential war zone.
    Its for discipline mostly, not advocating sending them to to war zones. Even if it's drills, bootcamps, fitness that sort of thing. There are too many distractions these days with TV, gaming, drink and drugs so can't see it as a bad thing.

Always thought when it comes to it the UK are quite behind over European countries when talking about sedentary lifestyles and self-discipline for instance.

Wouldn't be against it for my own family.

Not saying it's the answer to all however it's something worth looking at as more and more kids have less jobs to go to after this is over. Plenty of countries do it, even countries like Sweden that are seen as more pacifist historically.

Realise we are going off-topic here however felt I should follow up to your question on National Service. :)
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

The police are getting cut and the job is definitely not what it was years ago. They deal with too much **** and it is a tough job. No love, dealing with idiots and trying to stay professional. From a service side a bit of a nightmare.

Would hazard a guess a good few police officers are not particularly happy in their job with the additional pressure being put on them. Feel the same about the NHS staff.

I think that police officers deserve some sympathy, but the police force leaves a lot to be desired.
    In the same way you have to admire the front line staff in the NHS, but the management of it doesnt seem very good.
    Policewoman needs hospital treatment after being bitten on the arm

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/policewoman-needs-hospital-treatment-being-163000295.html
  • Options
    ^^^^^

What can you do with them?
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

National Service in peacetime
    It came into force in January 1949 and meant that all physically fit males between the ages of 17 and 21 had to serve in one of the armed forces for an 18-month period.

They then remained on the reserve list for another four years. During this time they were liable to be called to serve with their units but on no more than three occasions, for 20 days maximum.

Students and apprentices were allowed to defer their call-up until they completed their studies or training. Conscientious objectors had to undergo the same tribunal tests as in wartime.

After 1945, however, National Service did not extend to women.

Operations abroad
    In 1950 a further National Service Act lengthened the period of service to two years. During the 1950s national servicemen took part in various military operations in Malaya, Korea, Cyprus and Kenya.

National Service ended in 1960, though periods of deferred service still had to be completed. The last national servicemen were discharged in 1963.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/private-lives/yourcountry/overview/nationalservice/
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    White cop shoots unarmed black father in the back SEVEN times as his children watch - sparking violent protests as the Wisconsin Governor slams the 'excessive use of force'
    Jacob Blake, 29, an unarmed black man, was shot seven times by white cop in Kenosha, Wisconsin, on Sunday
    Police were responding to a domestic incident at a home in the area, though nature of the dispute is unclear
    Video shows Blake walking toward an SUV as at least three cops follow with guns drawn
    Blake appears to ignore police orders to stop and tries to get into the driver's side of the SUV
    That's when at least seven gunshots were heard; Blake's kids were inside car as the events unfolded
    Witnesses said Blake was trying to break up an argument between women in a home nearby
    Blake is listed in serious condition after he was airlifted to Froedtert Hospital in Milwaukee
    The shooting ignited outrage in Kenosha as local residents gathered to protest and denounce the police
    Some smashed squad cars and one police officer collapsed to the pavement after he was hit with a brick
    Police in riot gear were seen squaring off with protesters near the site of the shooting late on Sunday
    A state of emergency has been declared in the County of Kenosha; A curfew is in effect until 7am local time

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8657225/Police-shooting-Wisconsin-leaves-1-person-hospitalized.html
  • Options
    ‘You look like you’re rifling through someone’s glove box’: Black man accused of stealing from his own car by white woman in Bristol

“For people trying to justify what she’s done – I’ve parked my car in that same area for a whole year,” Mr Kheyre said. “And if I looked suspicious, the three other couples who walked past me would have said something ... and nobody did.”

He added: “If people are saying this is nothing to do with race, they are part of the problem, in my eyes.

"I wish I’d brought it up in the video but in the car in front of me, there was a white guy sitting in his car. Why did she not go up to him before me?”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/black-man-accused-stealing-own-195900121.html
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    No other opinion or faith allowed some say. Sports ministers involved, death threats because some don't believe in taking a knee. Has it really come to this?
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

No other opinion or faith allowed some say. Sports ministers involved, death threats because some don't believe in taking a knee. Has it really come to this?

Sport and politics shouldnt mix.
  • Options
    Seems like you can't support things in the quiet as a sportsperson at times. It's for show and maybe for some to be seen as good people because it's a cause that 99% can believe in (on the surface at least).
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:
    Kenosha burns: BLM protesters set light to department of corrections building and local businesses while looters run riot for second night in defiance of the National Guard deployed to restore order following Jacob Blake police shooting
    Protesters and rioters defied 8pm curfew and took to streets of Kenosha, Wisconsin, in second day of unrest
    Fire was set to businesses, including a furniture store and a car dealership, and more property was damaged
    Police formed a ring around the Kenosha County courthouse and fired tear gas to try and disperse protesters
    Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers deployed the National Guard as anger grows over Jacob Blake's shooting
    Blake, a 29-year-old black man, was shot in the back seven times by Kenosha police on Sunday
    The shooting took place as police were responding to a domestic disturbance at a home in Kenosha
    Blake has a criminal record, including a recent arrest warrant for sexual assault

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8660507/3-Wisconsin-deploys-National-Guard-police-shooting-Black-man-sparks-unrest.html
  • Options