You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Racism.

Comments

• CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited August 2020
    HAYSIE said:

The video is well worth a watch.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8633157/Moment-white-man-knocked-racist-rant-telling-black-passengers-theyre-going-back.html

Shocking moment white man is knocked clean out with single punch after racist rant where he told black Tube passengers they are ‘all going back’
    White man shouts 'you're all going back' at a group of black tube passengers
    Footage shows him in explicit rant as passengers say he must have 'death wish'
    Black man knocks out the white man with one punch while leaving the train
    Did you witness this incident? Email katie.feehan@mailonline.co.uk

The white man yelled 'they're lesser than us' and 'they're my pets' in the direction of black passengers and when they got up to leave, the white man squared up with clenched fists

Watched about 40 seconds of the video and didn't feel like watching anymore.

His dominant stance, looking to be alpha male while being loud and pretty unpleasant was very off-putting.

Not sure on the racism thing and on the 40 second viewing I would feel like punching him. If the guy didn't punch him and left it someone else likely would have.

I agree he looked to have got his just desserts and hopefully he sees it as a life lesson :)
    edited August 2020
    Don't know the guys background of course. He was out of order.

The video is emotive and would get plenty of views and responses. Felt the same way with the video on the BLM protesters with the Lawyers earlier on ITT as well.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,826
    RMT marks anniversary of breaking of the colour bar at Euston station

Union leaders have praised the “brave actions” of a railway worker who overturned a racist recruitment policy in the 1960s.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) marked the 54th anniversary of the breaking of the colour bar at London’s Euston station by pledging to continue its campaign against racism. ‎

On August 15 1966, the colour bar at Euston station was defeated when West Indian guard Asquith Xavier was allowed to start work after initially being refused a job.

British Railways had announced, after negotiations with local leaders of the National Union of Railwaymen, that no grade would in future be closed on racial grounds anywhere in the London division.

The RMT’s assistant general secretary Mick Lynch said: “Today we remember the brave actions of Asquith Xavier and those NUR officials who supported him in a campaign which eventually defeated the colour bar at Euston station.

“We owe so much to those who challenged racism on the railway in an era when it was all pervasive.

Mr Xavier, who died in 1980, was part of the Windrush generation, moving to England from Dominica after the Second World War.

A plaque will be unveiled next month at the train station in Chatham, Kent, where Mr Xavier lived.

He had started work for British Railways in 1956 as a porter, working his way up to rail guard at Marylebone station in London.

Following the closure of the Marylebone main line as part of the Beeching rail cuts, guards were no longer required and were being transferred to stations such as Euston.

Mr Xavier, an experienced guard, received a letter from management telling him that he had been rejected for a job at Euston.

Sid Greene, the general secretary of the National Union of Railwaymen – now the RMT – contacted the British Rail Board about racist policies being practised in their name which he said had been a longstanding problem.

Union officials said colour bars were in place in several London stations, but the NUR campaigned to have them all lifted

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rmt-marks-anniversary-breaking-colour-230100036.html
    bbMike said:

LOL.

Just dawned on me that this is a poker forum. All the non-poker tripe that you post every single day must have confused me. I only ever used to look at Poker Chat and occasionally pop into Poker Clinic, but since someone pointed out the Discussions button I have the misfortune of seeing it all.

Nobody has a gun to your head, presumably.

You don’t have to be the cleverest on here to know that a forum is a place where ideas and views are exchanged and challenged, but it’s clear now that’s not why you’re posting.

I post some stuff that I think may be of interest to others.
    Not always in the expectation of a deep and meaningful discussion.
    Sometimes articles that I think are funny.
    Everyone, including you, has the choice of whether they read or respond to anything I have posted.
    I posted the video on a thread of its own, thinking it may be of interest to people who may not read this thread, and nobody has shared your views

You should find the video without the blurred face, you’ll get much more out of seeing him laying there with his unresponsive glazed eyes open. Well worth watching if you’re into that kind of thing.

For me it was just about a big bully who was abusing other passengers getting what he deserved.
    To think about all the other stuff spoils it.
    I am not sure that you are seriously suggesting that before considering the merits of any incident, you should consider whether there was drink or drugs involved, mental illness etc.
    Even a brain tumour?
    Incidents like this happen to frequently, although maybe without the violence.
    I am not sure what kind of thing you think I am into, but I wont be looking for unedited videos any time soon

Phantom66 said:
    Phantom66 said:
    The Police come across as being slippery in these incidents, and are doing their image no good.
    Surely a dash cam will prove that the guy went through a red light, or was speeding, or both.
    What is the point of having them if they dont.

In the recording, shared with BBC News, the officer said Insp Ehikioya was being stopped for driving at speed and it "looked like he had gone through a red light".

How can it look like he went through a red light, he either did, or he didnt.

The officer said he needed to see Insp Ehikioya's driving licence and proof he was insured to drive the car, that the vehicle had not been stolen, and to check he was not drunk or had been using his phone.

This differs from the guidelines quoted in the Dawn Butler stop.

He claimed Insp Ehikioya's driving was "unusual", which he strongly disputed, according to the recording.

Unusual driving?
    Why dont they just say that anyone can be stopped for unusual driving, and just use this excuse every time they stop anyone?
    We would all know where we are.

They couldnt use the flash car excuse this time.

Insp Ehikioya was then accused of being obstructive and the officer said his own behaviour had been perfectly reasonable, it can be heard.

They dont seem keen on people standing up to them.

"They are both clearly racist police officers pretending to be polite whilst falsely accusing me without any evidence whatsoever of having committed serious criminal and road traffic act offences."

Is there a definition of unusual driving in the Highway Code.

"The conduct of a few embarrasses the vast majority of officers who are not racist but who, as a consequence of that conduct, have to work with very distrusting BAME communities," he said.

They just seem oblivious to this.
  • bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    HAYSIE said:

I posted the video on a thread of its own, thinking it may be of interest to people who may not read this thread, and nobody has shared your views

I didn't offer my views, just asked you some questions on yours - the video could have been 'well worth viewing' in your opinion because you'd been thinking about any of the questions I listed, but I now understand you don't like thinking too much in case it spoils the fun.

Anyhow, a more accurate way of saying the above would have been to state that you posted the video on a thread of its own, and nobody replied.

bbMike said:

HAYSIE said:

I didn't offer my views, just asked you some questions on yours - the video could have been 'well worth viewing' in your opinion because you'd been thinking about any of the questions I listed, but I now understand you don't like thinking too much in case it spoils the fun.

Anyhow, a more accurate way of saying the above would have been to state that you posted the video on a thread of its own, and nobody replied.

Do you not think it is biased to omit the threads that people have responded to.

I am not particularly interested in your views.

Maybe you should start a thread or two of your own before criticising others?

Then come back to me after getting an overwhelming response.

When you consider the threads that you have quoted, as I said earlier I wasnt expecting any of them to generate a deep and meaningful discussion.

After all they included Ian Botham and his peerage, cats, an internet funding fraud, and the guy on the tube.

Everyone has the option to read, and or respond.

This includes you.

I might gain some respect for your opinion if it was less biased, and you started a few threads yourself.

I will take great interest in your progress.

Good luck.
    Hope this don't come across as disrespectful @HAYSIE and from a general outsider.

The rail seems to have a load of Daily Mail articles. Would you be able to have them in the one thread?
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,013
    Good luck Mike. Will also follow your progress with interest.
    Cammykaze said:

Hope this don't come across as disrespectful @HAYSIE and from a general outsider.

The rail seems to have a load of Daily Mail articles. Would you be able to have them in the one thread?

Or just one pinned thread with a link to the website.
    HAYSIE said:

Do you not think it is biased to omit the threads that people have responded to.

I went to find the thread where you had said nobody was sharing my views, what I found was nobody saying anything at all. That was misleading on your part. It was a coincidence that the others were sitting there adjacent, but I thought I'd include them as I thought it was well worth seeing. Obviously a good day for The Mail.
    HAYSIE said:

You called me out for failing to realise this is a poker forum, you've got to then expect a little observation of what you use this place for. It's not the first time people have commented on your spam (see Brexit thread), I avoid most of it and haven't mentioned it until now. I'm in this thread attempting to contribute to the discussion on racism.
    HAYSIE said:

When you consider the threads that you have quoted, as I said earlier I wasnt expecting any of them to generate a deep and meaningful discussion.

At least you weren't disappointed.
    HAYSIE said:

I might gain some respect for your opinion if it was less biased, and you started a few threads yourself.

I'm not about to rush off to start a load of threads to try to become popular and win your affections or respect, so don't hold your breath.

I've actually spent most of my time in this thread trying to explain bias, and that everything is not always as it seems. Sometimes it is exactly that.

To bring this back on topic then, the media coverage on racism for example creates an availability bias that allows you to cite many cases of alleged wrongdoings that fit the narrative, and to cite none of the similar cases that don't tick the boxes (and importantly that when combined might dispel a myth that these things only happen one way, or disproportionately so). This creates a framing to believe that a minority of idiots [like the clearly racist and abusive guy in the video] represent the majority of the country, and particularly those in power - according to best-selling author Robin D'Angelo every single white person is a racist and is displaying White Fragility should they not admit it. You have to accept your own racism in order to become anti-racist and a true ally. It's a Kafka Trap and news organisations, HR departments in major corporations, police forces, universities etc etc would do well to start picking these issues apart with greater scrutiny before we descend into madness.

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,479
    if you guys decide to sort this grudge out on the felt can you let me know in advance so i can rail this and type fight fight fight fight etc over and over. some of my other chat tropes too.
    Cammykaze said:

Why?
    Cammykaze said:

Are there any particular articles that you think are untrue.
    bbMike said:

Cammykaze said:

Or just one pinned thread with a link to the website.
    The main reason I have posted a number from the Daily Mail lately is that they do a number of concise articles with just a headline, and a paragraph.
    These are very easy to post and can be debated if anyone wants to.
    Isnt that the point of the forum.
    I do post stuff from elsewhere.
    Anyone can debate the merits of any articles posted.
    Rather than just criticise what I post, you could start your own threads.
    You might find this more satisfying than becoming the self appointed forum critic.
    edited August 2020
    bbMike said:

HAYSIE said:

I went to find the thread where you had said nobody was sharing my views, what I found was nobody saying anything at all. That was misleading on your part. It was a coincidence that the others were sitting there adjacent, but I thought I'd include them as I thought it was well worth seeing. Obviously a good day for The Mail.

That was not misleading at all. The last time I looked 27 people had looked at the thread, and nobody had commented. This often happens. I was merely pointing out that nobody had become as outraged as you, and felt the need to leave a comment. All 27 may have similar views to me, and just saw it as the guy getting his just deserts, as did the only other person, besides you, that has made a comment about it on this thread.
    HAYSIE said:

You called me out for failing to realise this is a poker forum, you've got to then expect a little observation of what you use this place for. It's not the first time people have commented on your spam (see Brexit thread), I avoid most of it and haven't mentioned it until now. I'm in this thread attempting to contribute to the discussion on racism.

My point exactly. Everyone is entitled to their view, and I dont agree with some of them.

HAYSIE said:

At least you weren't disappointed.

No I wasnt.
    I wasnt expecting many comments about peas for breakfast, but it got the most response.
    That must say something.
    Someone else was being critical of the Brexit thread a few months ago. Someone from Sky asked me to continue with it. They suggested that there were a number of people that liked reading it, but didnt feel confident enough to post on it.
    HAYSIE said:

I'm not about to rush off to start a load of threads to try to become popular and win your affections or respect, so don't hold your breath.

If you gave me a million quid Mike, you wouldnt gain my affections.
    A predictable excuse.
    I wont hold my breath.

I've actually spent most of my time in this thread trying to explain bias, and that everything is not always as it seems. Sometimes it is exactly that.

Thunderous applause.

To bring this back on topic then, the media coverage on racism for example creates an availability bias that allows you to cite many cases of alleged wrongdoings that fit the narrative, and to cite none of the similar cases that don't tick the boxes (and importantly that when combined might dispel a myth that these things only happen one way, or disproportionately so). This creates a framing to believe that a minority of idiots [like the clearly racist and abusive guy in the video] represent the majority of the country, and particularly those in power - according to best-selling author Robin D'Angelo every single white person is a racist and is displaying White Fragility should they not admit it. You have to accept your own racism in order to become anti-racist and a true ally. It's a Kafka Trap and news organisations, HR departments in major corporations, police forces, universities etc etc would do well to start picking these issues apart with greater scrutiny before we descend into madness.

Going off at a tangent.
    I think the Police have lost their way.
    They just wind people up because of their attitudes.
    Have you considered joining the Police Force?
    They accuse people of unusual driving, whatever that is.
    They havent kept up with modern technology, as demonstrated in numerous recent rape cases.
    I watched the first part of a two part programme called "To Catch a Sex Offender" the other night
    It showed the disgusting way that they have dealt with rape victims in the past.
    Although I am certain things will have changed these days.
    The Hampshire force quoted their rape stats for last year, which were 1100 reported rapes, 46 were charged and 16 got to Court.
    Too busy chasing cars from Yorkshire, or pulling over people they suspect of unusual driving?
    Cammykaze said:

I dont think this is disrespectful, and there have been a couple of people knocking the Daily Mail.
    I think that if I started posting stuff from say the Guardian, different people would criticise.
    I dont think it really matters on a forum, as interested people can balance things by posting articles sourced elsewhere, or just their opinion of the article, wherever it came from.
    It was fairly recently when Chilling claimed that Russian ownership of a paper made the veracity of a particular article doubtful.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,627
    What, sky contacted you and asked you to carry on with the Brexit thread because some people like reading it
    That's a strange one
    stokefc said:

What, sky contacted you and asked you to carry on with the Brexit thread because some people like reading it
    That's a strange one

Why strange?