You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Live Podcast with Matt Bates - Monday 24th August at 19:30

DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
In a departure from my usual fare, this coming Monday I'll be welcoming Sky Poker MTT endboss Matt Bates to the stream as my first ever podcast guest.

If there is anything in particular you guys would like me to ask him then just let me know. I can't promise that every single query posted in here will be put to the man himself, but it will help give me a better idea of what kind of things people would like to see us discuss.

If it goes well and there is an appetite for more then I'll try and convince a few other Sky Poker legends to join me for a natter at some point.

I'll be going live at my usual time of 18:30 on Monday with some casual cash game action before Matt joins the stream at 19:30. For any of you that have somehow managed to escape all my spamming so far, it will be taking place here: https://twitch.tv/duesenberg123

@Tikay10 I hope you don't mind me creating a separate thread for this. I figured it might appeal to a few people who may otherwise not be interested in my usual streaming nonsense. I will of course completely understand if you'd rather move this to my existing streaming thread.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616

In a departure from my usual fare, this coming Monday I'll be welcoming Sky Poker MTT endboss Matt Bates to the stream as my first ever podcast guest.

If there is anything in particular you guys would like me to ask him then just let me know. I can't promise that every single query posted in here will be put to the man himself, but it will help give me a better idea of what kind of things people would like to see us discuss.

If it goes well and there is an appetite for more then I'll try and convince a few other Sky Poker legends to join me for a natter at some point.

I'll be going live at my usual time of 18:30 on Monday with some casual cash game action before Matt joins the stream at 19:30. For any of you that have somehow managed to escape all my spamming so far, it will be taking place here: https://twitch.tv/duesenberg123

@Tikay10 I hope you don't mind me creating a separate thread for this. I figured it might appeal to a few people who may otherwise not be interested in my usual streaming nonsense. I will of course completely understand if you'd rather move this to my existing streaming thread.

@Duesenberg

It's absolutely fine, the ideal way to promote it. Hope it goes well, I'm sure it will.
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    Some Qs:

How come you always have it, or always get there?

What is the biggest tip you could give to a player who is actually trying to improve their game?

What part of your own game do you think you need to work on?

Is there anyone on Sky Poker that makes you sigh when they join your MTT table?

Obviously you have experience of being on TV already.... so would you ever consider streaming?
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    Nice idea and will definitely be tuning in.

Questions for Matt.

1. How much is he paying you?
    2. Whats your biggest score online and also live?
    3. Any hobbies away from Poker? If so, please can you give them a bit more of your time?
    4. How much study do you put in on an average week, and what kind of study do you find most beneficial?

All the best for Monday, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Nice idea.

Matt, how do you think about moving up stakes as a crusher at various levels, do you have ambitions to move up or think about BRM or taking shots at all?
  • Options
    BlairReidBlairReid Member Posts: 74
    Looking forward to this.

I like all the boring stuff like how you got into poker and when/why you decided to go pro. Heard carbon copies of these answers on countless poker podcasts and they still never fail to make me happy.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Day in the life of Matt Bates please.

ie, how do you grind full session until the early hours and be up for work (accounting/finance?) day in day out?!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,616
    edited August 2020
    Favourite current cricketer, & why, please.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Do you have any vices? Be gory!
  • Options
    loosecamelloosecamel Member Posts: 152
    This is a fantastic idea and will certainly be tuning in, my questions would be:

1)Have you ever played professionally on other sites, or has it always exclusively been sky?

2) Do you use any GTO type softwares pio/monker etc, or does your study consist more of equity calcs and ICM stuff?

3) Have you ever had issues with tilt, if so, how did you overcome this?
    BlairReid said:

I like all the boring stuff like how you got into poker and when/why you decided to go pro. Heard carbon copies of these answers on countless poker podcasts and they still never fail to make me happy.

and major +1 to this
  • Options
    Really appreciate all the feedback and enthusiasm guys - keep it coming!
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    edited August 2020

Is Matt going to be on screen in a split screen format or is he audio only?
  • Options
    rspca12rspca12 Member Posts: 618
    edited August 2020
    What players do u look up 2?
    Does your height have any impact on your poker?
    Is u height the reason u struggle with live poker cant reach chips etc?
    If u was a plant what plant would u be?
    Any thought on trump or brexit?
    How do u play JJ?
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Is Matt going to be on screen in a split screen format or is he audio only?
    It'll be in full split screen glory :)
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    You should get @Doubleme on for the next episode to talk about Winnie the Pooh, Donald Trump, sillies, and some info on what really happened 'that night'.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    This’ll be class.

Q - Does Bates “celebrate” big flip wins on online tournies (fist pump, little yes under the breath sort of thing)? Or is he an emotionless drone now?

Q - Does Bates wish to continue crushing poker for the foreseeable? Or is he looking for ways to “get out” as it were?

Q - assuming Bates isn’t playing on Monday night, are you paying him the value of a nightly Bates MTT schedule? ;)
  • Options
    FeNdeR36FeNdeR36 Member Posts: 22
    Trying to think of a not boring non poker related question and failing so (these get progressively less serious):

1. Ever had poker coaching yourself? If so what was it like and how beneficial did you find it ?
    2. For the dramas, please rank your top 5 sky regs and why (MTT format)?
    3. Do you remember what it was like to not have the best hand at showdown?

Looking forward to the stream !
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,513
    Not everyone knows he's Famous, has he ever been rude in the chat box...
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Great idea Dues and fair play to Matt for agreeing to do it. There are already some great questions. Looking forward to tuning in on Monday.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,627

You should get @Doubleme on for the next episode to talk about Winnie the Pooh, Donald Trump, sillies, and some info on what really happened 'that night'.

you really do have a hard one for me don't ya? I do have a girlfriend you know so sorry I am not available.