You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Total Player, How Was It For You?

ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
i thought i'd start a thread to gage opinion on how the community thought the total player thing had gone. It's all done now bar the voting and i think on the whole this was good telly & great community involvement. I'm sure they will do this again and I think they will switch a few things around that they learnt from doing this one. Was just wondering what everybody liked and disliked about the comp

I'll start as it's my thread lol

I don't like the player vote to find a winner. 3 nicer guys you could not find and choosing between them is all but impossible. I also think that should someone like Yippee had gotten through on merit he would have stood no chance of winning as he was not a forum favourite

What are your thoughts????

Comments

• Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited March 2010
    thought it was an excellent competition, thoroughly enjoyed watching it and hope they continue with this every year! BUT just like yourself im not really feelin the community vote to find the winner! makin the 3 players beg for votes is pretty poor to be honest! so sad ending to what has been an excellent competition! IMO
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited March 2010

poor start [ apologies by me ]

very good middle ,

excellentooooo finish ,

overall    9/10

p.s still cant decide who to vote for all 3 excellent players ,

between the last 9 players there was very  little in it .

great picks by the mentors !
  • Options
    bennydip2bennydip2 Member Posts: 2,093
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Total Player, How Was It For You?:
    i thought i'd start a thread to gage opinion on how the community thought the total player thing had gone. It's all done now bar the voting and i think on the whole this was good telly & great community involvement. I'm sure they will do this again and I think they will switch a few things around that they learnt from doing this one. Was just wondering what everybody liked and disliked about the comp I'll start as it's my thread lol I don't like the player vote to find a winner. 3 nicer guys you could not find and choosing between them is all but impossible. I also think that should someone like Yippee had gotten through on merit he would have stood no chance of winning as he was not a forum favourite What are your thoughts????
    Posted by ACESOVER8s
    I thought i'd never reply to  anymore about   this TP competition after  I gave up  watching after  the second show ..
    My feeling Then and Now  is,  how has  this come down to  a forum vote ? 

I know  the likes of TK and co, will come ridiculing me for my  opinion again but I still maintain this has left  a lot of  bad feeling amongst a lot of the community about  the way it's been run...
    I believe many  of  the players have been  let  down by 'so called mentors' and HOW can anyone vote one player from the final three ?
    It's now all about  personality's , so many people have commented on,  they like all three and don't  know what  way  to  go !  
    Will the forum vote be made public as to  how many votes and who voted  for who ? 
    So like X factor  and Simon Cowell .. how do we (the community) know  how  the winner has  been decided ? 

Ultimately,  not having  seen much,  or  know much about  the players HOW can I vote ?  Is that  fair on anyone ?
    No of  course  not .......

I do however hope the winner  has a fabulous  time and  I'm sure the Sky Team will look after them.. 
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You?:
    In Response to Total Player, How Was It For You? : I thought i'd never reply to  anymore about   this TP competition after  I gave up  watching after  the second show .. My feeling Then and Now  is,  how has  this come down to  a forum vote ?  I know  the likes of TK and co, will come ridiculing me for my  opinion again but I still maintain this has left  a lot of  bad feeling amongst a lot of the community about  the way it's been run... I believe many  of  the players have been  let  down by 'so called mentors' and HOW can anyone vote one player from the final three ? It's now all about  personality's , so many people have commented on,  they like all three and don't  know what  way  to  go !   Will the forum vote be made public as to  how many votes and who voted  for who ?  So like X factor  and Simon Cowell .. how do we (the community) know  how  the winner has  been decided ?  Ultimately,  not having  seen much,  or  know much about  the players HOW can I vote ?  Is that  fair on anyone ? No of  course  not .......  I do however hope the winner  has a fabulous  time and  I'm sure the Sky Team will look after them.. 
    Posted by bennydip2
    Taking the highlighted points in order:

1. It's not a forum vote, it's a vote by all Sky Poker players as it was always stated to be.
    2.  Those who have followed the competition throughout will/may have formed an opinion.
    3. Of course, "who voted for who" won't be revealed. Why would you even think that this is required? You are suggesting some awful underhand dealings by Sky Poker if you think this is required. Personally, I don't think that the number of votes is necessary either.
    4.  If you have no strong feelings and have not been following the competition, I suggest that you abstain.
    5. "Is this fair?". It was stated at the start of the competition that this would happen so the candidates were aware of how it would be decided. So, yes, it is fair.
  • Options
    SparceSparce Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    Its not really fair! its become a facebook vote. sign up to sky and vote for your mate!  all you need to do is enter your card details and then you can vote. No deposit necessary. and then accounts can be deleted after...

I dont think its a fair way to decide at all!  Dont think nutter has done it so he will prob miss out on like 50 odd votes.  I started my group the other night having seen dan's mammoth one with over 250 people. I would presume he will win lol! and fair play to him for doing it.

Sky loves the publicity.  I think everything about this comp has been good except for this end game.  Its been fun participating and going through the rounds though from my perspective.

David

XXX
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,521
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Total Player, How Was It For You? : I thought i'd never reply to  anymore about   this TP competition after  I gave up  watching after  the second show .. My feeling Then and Now  is,  how has  this come down to  a forum vote ?  I know  the likes of TK and co, will come ridiculing me for my  opinion again but I still maintain this has left  a lot of  bad feeling amongst a lot of the community about  the way it's been run... I believe many  of  the players have been  let  down by 'so called mentors' and HOW can anyone vote one player from the final three ? It's now all about  personality's , so many people have commented on,  they like all three and don't  know what  way  to  go !   Will the forum vote be made public as to  how many votes and who voted  for who ?  So like X factor  and Simon Cowell .. how do we (the community) know  how  the winner has  been decided ?  Ultimately,  not having  seen much,  or  know much about  the players HOW can I vote ?  Is that  fair on anyone ? No of  course  not .......  I do however hope the winner  has a fabulous  time and  I'm sure the Sky Team will look after them.. 
    Posted by bennydip2
    I have not ridiculed you, ever. I answered all your questions repeatedly & wholly politely.

You asked, repeatedly, what the voting method would be. I explained it, fully & totally, repeatedly. You then said "that's all I wanted to know, that's OK then".

You are fully entitled to your opinions, & I have never ridiculed you for them. You asked questions, I answered them, you accepted them, & stated as such. Now you are again suggesting once again that it is a "forum vote". It is not a Forum vote. 

Will the Forum be made aware of who Voted for who? I would very much doubt it - Voting does not work like that, anywhere. Why on earth would anyone wish that?

Whatever the result, I wish all three the very best. All three would represent Sky Poker very well, & I'm quite sure all three will accept the result with the great dignity & class they have shown throughout.  
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : Taking the highlighted points in order: 1. It's not a forum vote, it's a vote by all Sky Poker players as it was always stated to be. 2.  Those who have followed the competition throughout will/may have formed an opinion. 3. Of course, "who voted for who" won't be revealed. Why would you even think that this is required? You are suggesting some awful underhand dealings by Sky Poker if you think this is required. Personally, I don't think that the number of votes is necessary either. 4.  If you have no strong feelings and have not been following the competition, I suggest that you abstain. 5. "Is this fair?". It was stated at the start of the competition that this would happen so the candidates were aware of how it would be decided. So, yes, it is fair.
    Posted by MereNovice
    Oh that  didn't take long !!   So some one asks a question .. I give an opinion and you choose to  take my answer to  bits .. Instead of answering the question yourself with your own answer ?  get real ... 
  • Options
    daveydaveydaveydavey Member Posts: 217
    edited March 2010
    If it is true that there are big facebook groups encouraging voting then it is a scandal and quite frankly an embarresment for sky.

A fairer way would have been something to do with poker, ten three way sit n go's with league points for each player. I dunno, something pokery.

• Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited March 2010
    haha has he really used facebook?????

I said at stage 1 week one, thats its a comp designed to attract new people to sky, but never thought it would go that far!!!!

Fair play tho, like u say, to both sky and Dan for using initiative, ida been screwed I aint even got floppin facebook!!!!!

Overall though - as a participant, referring back to the discussion title, the experience was brilliant for me, the support from sky people behind the scenes, from tk and rich on screen and from my mentor, was 10/10! 

(Ling and her team made it really easy to understand what was going on, times, rules etc etc) 

Im not sure how it would come across as a viewer, but since Ive gone Ive enjoyed the shows. (the show when we played the last TP sng, when people were sat out for half an hour was abit rubbish - I was disappointed with that - and am amzed they went half an hour showing people folding and sat out)

Look forward to winning the next one!

DOHH

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : Oh that  didn't take long !!   So some one asks a question .. I give an opinion and you choose to  take my answer to  bits .. Instead of answering the question yourself with your own answer ?  get real ... 
    Posted by bennydip2
    Um, you added a post with several questions.
    I paid you the courtesy of replying to your questions.
    You seem to have taken these responses badly.
    You state at the beginning of your post that you have not followed the competition and then "rip into it".
    Have I missed anything?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : I have not ridiculed you, ever. I answered all your questions repeatedly & wholly politely . You asked, repeatedly, what the voting method would be. I explained it, fully & totally, repeatedly. You then said "that's all I wanted to know, that's OK then". You are fully entitled to your opinions, & I have never ridiculed you for them. You asked questions, I answered them, you accepted them, & stated as such. Now you are again suggesting once again that it is a "forum vote". It is not a Forum vote.  Will the Forum be made aware of who Voted for who? I would very much doubt it - Voting does not work like that, anywhere. Why on earth would anyone wish that? Whatever the result, I wish all three the very best. All three would represent Sky Poker very well, & I'm quite sure all three will accept the result with the great dignity & class they have shown throughout.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Here  we go again  !!!   TK ... I cant be bothered to  play  your  silly  games   ( you know the post  i'm on about, )   or read what you have to  say anymore ... Tell it to  someone who  cares ..
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,521
    edited March 2010
    thought it was an excellent competition, thoroughly enjoyed watching it and hope they continue with this every year! BUT just like yourself im not really feelin the community vote to find the winner! makin the 3 players beg for votes is pretty poor to be honest! so sad ending to what has been an excellent competition! IMO
    Posted by Eagle26
    Good Post Eagle, but they were not "made to beg for Votes". It was always expected & anticipated that they would need to "sell themselves", to "lobby", as candidates do.

Personally, I never anticipated the Facebook thing, but the Rules do not forbid or even discourage it, & the players, within the rules, were fully entitled to do that if they saw fit.

It's been the first Total Player on Sky Poker, & overall, again in my personal view, it's been a stunning success, for the TP-ers, the Community, &, I hope, the Company, because unless it ticked all three boxes, it will not run again.

If it does run again, they will, I imagine, change a few things, do some things different, tweak it a bit, add a bit, modify things here & there. That's the natural progression. One or two people have disapproved of the whole thing from Day One, which is their absolute right, but it was a prototype for Sky Poker, & for the poker industry, & it's not easy to make it perfect first time round. Nobody at Sky Poker ever said it would be perfect, but they did their best, & I think they did pretty well all things considered.

Good Post, & your feedback will, I'm sure, be considered at SkySuit-City.

• Options
    phil12ukphil12uk Member Posts: 2,856
    edited March 2010
    I need to state for Dan that he DIDN'T set up this group. 

There is one, however, and in addition all 3 mentors have used facebook over the past few days to gain votes for their player.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Its not really fair! its become a facebook vote. sign up to sky and vote for your mate!  all you need to do is enter your card details and then you can vote. No deposit necessary. and then accounts can be deleted after... I dont think its a fair way to decide at all!  Dont think nutter has done it so he will prob miss out on like 50 odd votes.  I started my group the other night having seen dan's mammoth one with over 250 people. I would presume he will win lol! and fair play to him for doing it. Sky loves the publicity.  I think everything about this comp has been good except for this end game.  Its been fun participating and going through the rounds though from my perspective. David XXX
    Posted by Sparce
    Well said sir .. man I feel  for  ya   glk
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited March 2010
    Its not really fair! its become a facebook vote. sign up to sky and vote for your mate!  all you need to do is enter your card details and then you can vote. No deposit necessary. and then accounts can be deleted after... I dont think its a fair way to decide at all! Dont think nutter has done it so he will prob miss out on like 50 odd votes.  I started my group the other night having seen dan's mammoth one with over 250 people. I would presume he will win lol! and fair play to him for doing it. Sky loves the publicity.  I think everything about this comp has been good except for this end game.  Its been fun participating and going through the rounds though from my perspective. David XXX
    Posted by Sparce
    this is very very  unfair ,

can this practice be stopped tk ?

its really is going outside the skypoker player community canvassing for votes,

i don't think you guys really wanted this to happen ,

especially the accounts can be deleted after you vote bit,

this seems very underhanded to me !
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : Here  we go again  !!!   TK ... I cant be bothered to  play  your  silly  games   ( you know the post  i'm on about, )   or read what you have to  say anymore ... Tell it to  someone who  cares ..
    Posted by bennydip2
    Lol....Tikay is probably the most polite and understanding man I have ever met, and ever likely to meet. 
  • Options
    TP_DantbTP_Dantb Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2010
    I would just like to say that im not even on facebook!!

The facebook page thingy was done by my friends who really want me to do well!

It was made aware at the very start of the competition to me that it would come down to a vote. now whether i like this or not it was part of the competition so if i wanted to be a part of it those were the rules.

I have put soooo  many hours into this competition, sacrificed so much. Ive even taken days off work during this voting period so i can play 8 hours plus a day just to try and get more votes.

It means so much to me, and to suggest that a facebook page is the reason people will vote for me is a real boost to my confidence, thanks. 

• Options
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : Um, you added a post with several questions. I paid you the courtesy of replying to your questions. You seem to have taken these responses badly. You state at the beginning of your post that you have not followed the competition and then "rip into it". Have I missed anything?
    Posted by MereNovice
    Yes  I was answering a question from the poster of the thread .. you choice is not to  answer  it   but have a go at  my  answer  ...  and  IF  you were  to  read  others  posts  here  you will see many people are not happy  including a player as to the way  this whole fiasco  is being run   ..  glk  Mere  
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I need to state for Dan that he DIDN'T set up this group.  There is one, however, and in addition all 3 mentors have used facebook over the past few days to gain votes for their player.
    Posted by phil12uk
    +1   .. Its  a joke the whole thing ...
  • Options
    BowieBoyBowieBoy Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2010
    A great contest which I enjoyed throughout. The vote I don't like but it is part of the contest and I used mine as I think I owe it to the players who gave their all, well done to every Total Player.