You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Total Player, How Was It For You?

Comments

• Options
    ybyb Member Posts: 1,471
    edited March 2010
    I think it's been a great competition, really looking forward to seeing who the eventual winner will be! 
    But Ed, what you're saying about Sparce is totally unfair imo, you're making it sound like Sparce is trying to turn people against Dan deliberately when I think all he was doing is saying that it's a bit unfair that the final stage has come down to a massive popularity contest, which a number of others have also said. And the last comment you wrote about playing tournaments elsewhere is actually quite pathetic, since when did the participants in TP have to play mutually exclusively to sky? Dan seems a really decent bloke in everything he has had to say so far in this competition, don't think you're doing him any favours though.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited March 2010
    I've voiced my concerns before about the method of choosing the final candidate and with what's appearing on here I am even more convinced that it's wrong.

However, that is not the prime consideration at this moment. The die is cast and we have what we have. This was Sky's first attempt at the concept of TP and as such it has been excellent, albeit not perfect in everyone's opinion. I'm sure that Sky will modify as they see fit in any future TP events and tune out any flaws.

The overwhelmingly important thing at this moment in time is to support the three remaining candidates. I have already made my choice and voted accordingly. However I would be completely happy for any of the three candidates to go through, because they are all that good. What is needed now is for all the squabbling to stop and allow the process to conclude.
    Whoever wins this needs to go to the WSOP with a clear mind and no recriminations hanging over them from people who disagreed with the final choice.

Let's get behind all three and wish them the very best of luck.
  • Options
    BrownnDogBrownnDog Member Posts: 729
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You?:
    I think it's been a great competition, really looking forward to seeing who the eventual winner will be!  But Ed, what you're saying about Sparce is totally unfair imo, you're making it sound like Sparce is trying to turn people against Dan deliberately when I think all he was doing is saying that it's a bit unfair that the final stage has come down to a massive popularity contest, which a number of others have also said. And the last comment you wrote about playing tournaments elsewhere is actually quite pathetic, since when did the participants in TP have to play mutually exclusively to sky? Dan seems a really decent bloke in everything he has had to say so far in this competition, don't think you're doing him any favours though.
    Posted by yb

+1 totally agree
  • Options
    MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited March 2010
    Overall it has been an enjoyable feature on Sky Poker, mind you, that 3 hour show did go on a bit!
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited March 2010
    The TP competition has been a great concept and Sky should be applauded for putting it all together. Yes, there are improvements that can be made if they ever repeat it but on the whole it has been a great event! People should bare in mind what the people involved with are making of all this. Sparce's post was a reaction to what he feels is a problem in the voting system but maybe it would've been wise (in hindsight) to not post at all as it has opened a small can of worms! Dan seems to be genuinely upset by it and TBF Ed's post seems to be an attempt to protect his player (not an excuse, just an observation). Incidentally, the part that seems to have upset people was a quote by Sparce himself on the Total Player thread. (sorry Sparce, this is not intended as a pop at you!)

There are three great players all hoping to win a truly amazing prize and I personally wish them all the very best of luck! They all thoroughly deserve to be there!

• Options
    penguin7penguin7 Member Posts: 1,094
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : I totally disagree. Sparce has actually been playing a variety of tournaments and smaller cash games all over sky for the last week. I also don't see how playing on a different site should influence your decision in any way, shape or form.  What you are saying is akin to reverse snobbery.
    Posted by Cowgomoo
    Not intended in that way at all! As I said it is only a personal feeling.I have been playing quite a lot and have run into Dan a few times and have been tripping over Ben all week. In fact I wish he would go away. The last two meetings were in tournys KK V AA and QQ v 99 with a flopped 9 !
    I have a couple of times searched for Sparce, and only found him once, waiting for customers on a high stakes table.
    I of course have total respect for him as a player but think the PR benefit available from playing a wide range of sky players may be more valuable than facebook or his post on here.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited March 2010
    Overall it has been an enjoyable feature on Sky Poker, mind you, that 3 hour show did go on a bit!
    Posted by Machka
    I'm pretty sure that it was a 2 hour show.
    Many may have thought that it seemed like 3 hours. ;-)
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    edited March 2010

WOW....Saturday's show could be interesting to say the least!

That's all I am saying on this thread. Apart from good luck to ALL 3 players involved and I hope to see some of the mentors quantify some of they statements/comments they have made.
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited March 2010
    Posted by Machka
    I'm pretty sure that it was a 2 hour show.
    Many may have thought that it seemed like 3 hours. ;-)
  • Options
    CowgomooCowgomoo Member Posts: 749
    edited March 2010
    In Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You? : I'm pretty sure that it was a 2 hour show. Many may have thought that it seemed like 3 hours. ;-)
    Posted by MereNovice
    Nah they did a 3 hour SNG show couple of weeks back I think from 8pm till 11pm because there was no mastercash.
  • Options
    goodylad21goodylad21 Member Posts: 693
    edited March 2010

**** **** if sky read this thread which they WILL, and it has caused so much unrest, then why would they think of doing a TP event next year !!!

It's a competition at the end of the day, some of the remarks and comments on here are dam right nasty, some people need to sort there lives out, there is more to life than a poker competition!

• Options
    barnsiebarnsie Member Posts: 496
    edited March 2010
    i dont and never have like the way the tournament is being decided seems a bit anti climatic to me?

dont really understand the points about sparce playing elsewere

tbh playing and doing well in mtts here has about as much relevance to  a world series event as me playing conference football and then having to play in the champions league

good experience in 4k+ fields at decent buy ins on the bigger sites are good for two reasons , generally slower clocks than here and the opposition will be more similar to that you will find in the main event
  • Options
    penguin7penguin7 Member Posts: 1,094
    edited March 2010
    i dont and never have like the way the tournament is being decided seems a bit anti climatic to me? dont really understand the points about sparce playing elsewere tbh playing and doing well in mtts here has about as much relevance to  a world series event as me playing conference football and then having to play in the champions league good experience in 4k+ fields at decent buy ins on the bigger sites are good for two reasons , generally slower clocks than here and the opposition will be more similar to that you will find in the main event
    Posted by barnsie
    Very true Barnsie, but the other two were both at Vegas last year,and should benefit from the experience.
    I have no doubt that any one of the three will do us proud there, and I will be totally behind whoever it is.
    But I bet that all three share most of our feelings that the final decision should have been decided purely on poker
  • Options
    SparceSparce Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    Wow, there is blazing inferno here!!! hehe

I feel my post has been taken the wrong way by Mr Giddens.  Genuine apologies if you think it is me taking a cheap shot.  Really not intended, just pointing out the one flaw I see.

I am a realist.  Sky have set out this competition not only to find a total player, but to get publicity.  To have facebook sites set up, to have people to tell their friends, who will tell their friends, to have you guys arguing about it (then go and tell other people about it) is fantastic for them.  Is it a fair way to decide the total player? I would say not.  Is the Xfactor votes fair? I would guess not, but it sure is fun viewing watching the eliminations and it sure does raise the publicity of the show.  Who would bother watching something without soo much controversy??

We have got down to the stage where all are deserving of the prize, and many of you have said how you have been unable to distinguish between us.  It means a lot to all of us to have this opportunity.  Our friends realise that, and they have been told through facebook - its a way to show our passion for the game (i guess one could argue we are sharing our love for the game to a wider audience).  Does it make me a hypocrit to use facebook and friends?  Probably does, but I dont want to just fall on my sword, I want to win! I have a hunger.  And i am a realist, if u want to win you have to use all avenues!  Sad as it is, I am a realist.  Next years total player will be even more of campaigns I am sure (as a sidenote - anyone in next years competition who is at university- join the uni poker club - it would be a fantastic way to get a gazillion votes-unfortunately i didnt join mine).

In response to Mr Bennydip I think he has a very valid point about the time the competitors put into this competition.  As it happens I was listening to on of Mr Broughton's pod casts the other day where they were interviewing Neal Channing, and he had a problem where he was running some sort of promotion to get packages etc, and he was finding it hard to get some of the regs involved as it meant spending time away from making money at their normal game.  From dan's post you can see how much time he put into this, the sacrifices he has made - this guy has to be in a million places at once, he has a job, a baby, a life, poker tables which are more profitable to him - So complete respect for him.  You can see his passion and drive!  This amount of time probably contributed to putting quite a few people off, we see that big names on the site like lolufold and pokerbcity decided not to enter- and that is their decision, so fair play to them.  We have all made our own choices about the amount of time.  

Did I realise the amount of time I would put in to this? Not at all!  I have a ridiculous amount of work to do for uni, had a job interview last week which i had to put lots of preparation in for and go away for a day and a half for an assessment centre (I didnt get it :( Awwwwww, Sympathy votes cough!).  Now the crunch question, was it worth it for me from my persepective.  Purely from a financial perspective if I dont win, it wasnt worth it (but that will be the same for all the other players in the comp who put a lot of effort in).  However, I Think this competition is much more than money.  I have had a large look into my game, and am seeing things which are wrong with it, I have got involved in the community and made friends here.  There are loads of people here I can see lots of talent in who are also fantastic guys.  I have had great times, going to the SPT meeting more people, fooling around.  It is this what has made the competition for me, and win or not, its those memories which will stay with, and i am deffo going to future events!!

As for the last dig, I feel I should explain my real tournament line hehe.  I was just trying to exemplify how I was entering tournaments which are good practice and would hold me in good stead for the WSOP.  Those poker tournaments, were very deep, long clock, loadsa tough tricky players, and quite a scary bubble and end game as there was a lot of money at stake.  I didnt mean to be rude about this site...except for those **** bounty hunters hehe.  I just wanted to show off my worth as everyone thinks i can only play cash! hehe.

Think i have covered most things now! If i think of anything later i will be sure to add it.  Apologies once again if anyone thought i was having a dig, that was not my intention!  I would like to wish my competitors the best of luck for sat, they are fantastic guys and talented players!

David xxx

• Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited March 2010
    Good luck to all of the final three...it's been superb and with one day to go I still haven't made my final decision :-(

So, Facebook eh? Nice action Dan's friends, Ben's friends & David's friends!! I recon there are more Sky Poker players on facebook than there are on the forum!! That's just the way these networking sites are - even 10 Downing Street and the White House have FB pages, profiles and groups :o)

When I got a FB update through from Matt B regarding voting for Sparce with a link for the TP lobby I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with it...still don't!!! Power to the players and mentors for raising their profile. Should have gone on twitter too, use every tool you can - after all it VEGAS we're talking about!!!

Whoever win's out of the final 3 will deserve their place, unfortunately not everyone's favourite can go through.

The shows have been fantastic viewing and hopefully, with a few tweaks TP will be back bigger and better next year....For now, it is what it is and i shall be voting after a good think and a couple of pints of Guinness

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!

x

• Options
    SparceSparce Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010
    Happy St Patricks Day!! I am determined to get a hat this year!! I can never seem to make it to that magical 8 pints to get one!

XXX
  • Options
    TRIP5TRIP5 Member Posts: 3,618
    edited March 2010
    Iordersn Response to Re: Total Player, How Was It For You?:
    Happy St Patricks Day!! I am determined to get a hat this year!! I can never seem to make it to that magical 8 pints to get one! XXX
    Posted by Sparce
    Hmmmph...Call yourself a student???

You should have at least two from each year..plus a banjella or them drum thingies (Irish help!!!)

Off to the pub with you sir...You are under the strictest orders to return home with at least one shamrock on your face, a green ribbon in your hair and...a MA-HA-SSEEVE hat :o)

x
  • Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited March 2010
    I had one SERIOUS issue with Total Player...

David Tuckman's white socks.

I hope this disgusting lapse in wardrobe etiquette will NOT become a regular occurrence, should TP return for a second season.

(Oh, Orford's blue jumper was pretty sick as well!)

• Options
    MBroughtonMBroughton Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2010
    When I got a FB update through from Matt B regarding voting for Sparce with a link for the TP lobby I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with it...still don't!!! Power to the players and mentors for raising their profile.
    Let's not forget that EVERYONE involved in Total Player knew FROM THE VERY START that this would ultimately come down to a popularity contest, and who could garner the most votes - NOT about poker. If I am 100% honest I tried to ignore that fact. How hard was it NOT putting Charles FlashFlush through? VERY hard because I knew how popular he was. How hard was it picking David over Naomi? SUPER HARD because (and I don't think David will mind me saying this) as far as I am aware, if I wanted to win a popularity contest I'd probably do better with Naomi flying my flag than David. HOWEVER, I tried to be fair and ALWAYS pick the players I thought were best. Had I just focused on the popularty contest element of the competition I would have simply ignored the poker and just seen who had the most friends on FB and had posted the most on the forum.

I decided I would simply concern myself with trying to make sure the player I thought was the best ended up as my final nomination. I'm not stupid, but I wasn't prepared to put a player through just because I felt he or she could do better when it came to soliciting their friends and family to sign up for a Sky Poker account and vote vote vote. Frankly I see Dan's ammased FB crew as totally legit. It's a popularity contest now, and ALL about numbers. If I thought it would have any impact I'd get my mum and sister to sign up for Sky and vote (don't worry - I haven't done!) ^__^

People have mentioned the X-Factor time and time again, and for good reason. Singer Lucy got picked by the mentors for her talent, and the public voted her out and 'Jedwood' in. Were they the better singers? Of course not, but if you are going to enter a competition that is initially about talent and then later a popularity contest, you CAN'T expect the best people to win. Simple as that.

For me I've enjoyed this competition simply because it's been a joy to actually know something about the players rather just watching some random cards floating in the air in the studio. To have met, talked with, and sat alongside some of these exceptional players has also been a pleasure. Do I think the BEST POKER PLAYER will win? I honestly don't know. Obviously we know that the most popular person will win, and we can only hope that they wear the TP crown for the right reasons. 

Enjoy voting, and whoever you vote for, thanks for playing along!

Happy hunting

Matt

• Options
    EdGiddinsEdGiddins Member Posts: 245
    edited March 2010
    Wow, there is blazing inferno here!!! hehe I feel my post has been taken the wrong way by Mr Giddens.  Genuine apologies if you think it is me taking a cheap shot.  Really not intended, just pointing out the one flaw I see. I am a realist.  Sky have set out this competition not only to find a total player, but to get publicity.  To have facebook sites set up, to have people to tell their friends, who will tell their friends, to have you guys arguing about it (then go and tell other people about it) is fantastic for them.  Is it a fair way to decide the total player? I would say not.  Is the Xfactor votes fair? I would guess not, but it sure is fun viewing watching the eliminations and it sure does raise the publicity of the show.  Who would bother watching something without soo much controversy?? We have got down to the stage where all are deserving of the prize, and many of you have said how you have been unable to distinguish between us.  It means a lot to all of us to have this opportunity.  Our friends realise that, and they have been told through facebook - its a way to show our passion for the game (i guess one could argue we are sharing our love for the game to a wider audience).  Does it make me a hypocrit to use facebook and friends?  Probably does, but I dont want to just fall on my sword, I want to win! I have a hunger.  And i am a realist, if u want to win you have to use all avenues!  Sad as it is, I am a realist.  Next years total player will be even more of campaigns I am sure (as a sidenote - anyone in next years competition who is at university- join the uni poker club - it would be a fantastic way to get a gazillion votes-unfortunately i didnt join mine). In response to Mr Bennydip I think he has a very valid point about the time the competitors put into this competition.  As it happens I was listening to on of Mr Broughton's pod casts the other day where they were interviewing Neal Channing, and he had a problem where he was running some sort of promotion to get packages etc, and he was finding it hard to get some of the regs involved as it meant spending time away from making money at their normal game.  From dan's post you can see how much time he put into this, the sacrifices he has made - this guy has to be in a million places at once, he has a job, a baby, a life, poker tables which are more profitable to him - So complete respect for him.  You can see his passion and drive!  This amount of time probably contributed to putting quite a few people off, we see that big names on the site like lolufold and pokerbcity decided not to enter- and that is their decision, so fair play to them.  We have all made our own choices about the amount of time.   Did I realise the amount of time I would put in to this? Not at all!  I have a ridiculous amount of work to do for uni, had a job interview last week which i had to put lots of preparation in for and go away for a day and a half for an assessment centre (I didnt get it :( Awwwwww, Sympathy votes cough!).  Now the crunch question, was it worth it for me from my persepective.  Purely from a financial perspective if I dont win, it wasnt worth it (but that will be the same for all the other players in the comp who put a lot of effort in).  However, I Think this competition is much more than money.  I have had a large look into my game, and am seeing things which are wrong with it, I have got involved in the community and made friends here.  There are loads of people here I can see lots of talent in who are also fantastic guys.  I have had great times, going to the SPT meeting more people, fooling around.  It is this what has made the competition for me, and win or not, its those memories which will stay with, and i am deffo going to future events!! As for the last dig, I feel I should explain my real tournament line hehe.  I was just trying to exemplify how I was entering tournaments which are good practice and would hold me in good stead for the WSOP.  Those poker tournaments, were very deep, long clock, loadsa tough tricky players, and quite a scary bubble and end game as there was a lot of money at stake.  I didnt mean to be rude about this site...except for those **** bounty hunters hehe.  I just wanted to show off my worth as everyone thinks i can only play cash! hehe. Think i have covered most things now! If i think of anything later i will be sure to add it.  Apologies once again if anyone thought i was having a dig, that was not my intention!  I would like to wish my competitors the best of luck for sat, they are fantastic guys and talented players! David xxx   
    Posted by Sparce

Great post Sparce - words and motives often get misinterpreted on forums so it’s good to clarify what was actually meant. 

I think the publicity surrounding TP benefits the players as much as Sky Poker and it will be exciting to see this competition grow going forward. 

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday.