You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Mark Walks

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,151
    rabdeniro said:

Day 6 10,002 steps, that was tough today, note to self, take loads more water with me when walking hungover.

Rab keep going buddy, I had a mare today just gotta battle through.

Respect to you.
  • Options
    Day6 Longton Brook Greenway ST4

Wow, I was not expecting such a struggle to complete today. After yesterdays slightly easier shift, today was just brutal.

Nothing seemed right as my legs were just deadweights, my back really started giving me aggravation from really early on and the cardio and heart rate went all over the shop.

The route itself is easy enough a walking / cycling path starting at Trentham and giving several options of destinations. However I just seemed incapable of getting any rhythm into my walking, my breathing was laboured and ragged and nothing worked properly.

I managed to take a big chunk out of the target but was reduced to walking the last 2000 up and down the alley behind my house which took a staggering 60 minutes, such was my state of total exhaustion.

Time 3h 36m 42s
    Distance 5.3miles
    Steps 10,561
    Cals 1956

It's been a real tester today but when you have pledges based on x amount per day I complete, there is no way I'm not hitting target everyday.

Whilst I'm on the subject, donations passed £100 today and that does make it worthwhile.

Don't know where day 7 will be played out yet, A and E may be an idea :D

Have a great day and take care

Mark
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Day 7, end of week one and OMG is there still 24 days more to go.

Well as suggested day 7 did indeed take place within sight of The Royal Stoke and the A and E as Lyme Valley Parkway hosted todays challenge. Fortunately neither was required as I joined with likeminded people all enjoying the lunchtime / mid afternoon sunshine.

The plan had been to get an early start but that just failed to materialise as despite my urgent insistence my body just ignored me and remained resolutely in bed until I forced it kicking and screaming into some training gear and then the car.

Got chatting to a runner who stopped nearby whilst I was sitting in the boot of my vehicle taking a breather and getting water down my neck.

He was a little surprised that this challenge does not have official provision for rest / recovery days. He pointed out that when he's in training for marathons and the like he never trains more than 4 days without a recovery day. We also discussed what might happen after the 31 days and I assured him that I had every intention of continuing with a fitness programme.
    I mean it too, no way am I going back to being what I was, that would be such a waste of time, effort and sweat.

I was really touched by what appeared to be genuine concern for my wellbeing by this total stranger as he gave me some advice on looking after my legs and knees and finished by asking me whether I ate before I walked. I informed him that I usually walked in a fasted state to which he smiled, gently rebuked me and gave some helpful tips on pre exercise fueling.

He finished by donating a fiver ( yes I keep a sponsor form and a letter of authority in the car) and ran on leaving me a wiser man.

So in summary todays figures.

Time 2h 32m 56s
    Distance 5.12 miles
    Steps 10,483
    Cals 1905

Its been a heck of a first week, I really thought I may have bitten off more than I could handle but now I think I might just be able to get there. As long as I can stay injury free I feel it's doable.

I'm also motivated by the fact that I've lasted longer than a couple of my so called mates said I would, so Ha in your face to them. I talked the talk, gotta keep walking the walk.

Have a brilliant day y'all

Mark
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223

Well as suggested day 7 did indeed take place within sight of The Royal Stoke and the A and E as Lyme Valley Parkway hosted todays challenge. Fortunately neither was required as I joined with likeminded people all enjoying the lunchtime / mid afternoon sunshine.

The plan had been to get an early start but that just failed to materialise as despite my urgent insistence my body just ignored me and remained resolutely in bed until I forced it kicking and screaming into some training gear and then the car.

Got chatting to a runner who stopped nearby whilst I was sitting in the boot of my vehicle taking a breather and getting water down my neck.

He was a little surprised that this challenge does not have official provision for rest / recovery days. He pointed out that when he's in training for marathons and the like he never trains more than 4 days without a recovery day. We also discussed what might happen after the 31 days and I assured him that I had every intention of continuing with a fitness programme.
    I mean it too, no way am I going back to being what I was, that would be such a waste of time, effort and sweat.

I was really touched by what appeared to be genuine concern for my wellbeing by this total stranger as he gave me some advice on looking after my legs and knees and finished by asking me whether I ate before I walked. I informed him that I usually walked in a fasted state to which he smiled, gently rebuked me and gave some helpful tips on pre exercise fueling.

He finished by donating a fiver ( yes I keep a sponsor form and a letter of authority in the car) and ran on leaving me a wiser man.

Time 2h 32m 56s
    Distance 5.12 miles
    Steps 10,483
    Cals 1905

Its been a heck of a first week, I really thought I may have bitten off more than I could handle but now I think I might just be able to get there. As long as I can stay injury free I feel it's doable.

I'm also motivated by the fact that I've lasted longer than a couple of my so called mates said I would, so Ha in your face to them. I talked the talk, gotta keep walking the walk.

Mark

Well done, I was hoping the government was ending March early this year as they've done with everything else.
  • Options
    Day 7 10,133 steps, didn't feel to bad today, got ma jag, the Gers win 55, fireworks goin off like Nov 5th, gettin hawf pi**ed, all in all a good day.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    rabdeniro said:

Day 7 10,133 steps, didn't feel to bad today, got ma jag, the Gers win 55, fireworks goin off like Nov 5th, gettin hawf pi**ed, all in all a good day.

Fireworks here as well...they must be wayyyy years outta date! Someone mite get hurt. 😆
  • Options
    Day 8 Longton Brook Greenway and The Trent and Mersey Canal towpath.

This one was simple, walk until the Fit Pro shows 5,000 steps then turn around and walk back. Job done.

Time 2h 15m 32s
    Distance 5.06 miles
    Steps 10,112
    Cals 1732

No real dramas although my legs feel absolutely trashed. What I could really do with is an ice bath at the end of my walks. That would be bliss.

Hope you're all well, have a great day.

Mark
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,083

Time 2h 32m 56s
    Distance 5.12 miles
    Steps 10,483
    Cals 1905

Mark

That's a terrific Post. There's still some wonderful souls around.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821

Time 2h 32m 56s
    Distance 5.12 miles
    Steps 10,483
    Cals 1905

Mark

Hi Mark,
    I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that, people out and about exercising would be nice and might even offer help. Pleased that my thinking was correct. Glad you have got through the first week, always likely to be the most difficult.
    Keep it up and you will be amazed how quickly you will feel the benefits and start to see results.

• Options
    Day 8 10,233 steps.
  • Options
    Day 9 10,088 steps.
  • Options
    Day 9 Hem Heath Woods ST4

Somewhere I have not been before and yet its on my doorstep. A lovely woodland walk with several options of path but all eventually leading to The Wedgwood Estate, factory and museum although this would be very muddy after a wet spell.

Anyway the fitness levels seem to be improving as the first 6,000 or so steps passed relatively smoothly. The last 4,000 proved somewhat more difficult and uncomfortable and I was so glad to see the car hove into view.

So another day done, another target reached and mission accomplished, just about.

Time 2 h 28m 11 s
    Distance 4.96 miles
    Steps 10,085
    Cals 1774

Apparently the weathers going to give me a beasting over the next 3 days so it should be interesting.

Take care and have a great day folks.

Mark
  • Options
    I stay in a scheme so am quite lucky that a 5 minute walk from ma front door is country park with miles of trails, out ma back door if I walk 10 minutes is a golf course, next to it is the moor joinin on to the low green, another 5 minute walk is the harbourside then the shore with a beach park so I should't have any excuses not to walk, but I still find some :) .

• Options
    Day 10 and by golly did the weather decide to play a part.

I decided to stick to places well known so today I settled for the Trentham Estate. It proved to be a good call as the tarmac paths provided firm footing where other trails would be in a waterlogged condition.

Visibility became a concern as my Karrimor acted like a boil in the bag and under the hood the glasses steamed like a Russel Hobbs on full boil.

Now obviously I remove the specs but that leaves me struggling as whilst I can see tiny creatures in the distance I am in danger of falling into potholes in front of my feet.

I'm wetter inside the jacket than outside as the wicking effects of the inner fabric seem to falter as the hydrostatic qualities of the exterior fabric live up to the job.

So sweat soaked, over heating body and head clashes uncomfortably with freezing hands, aching legs, sore feet and a leaky boot. I really look forward to the day I can once more fit into my Berghaus, Scarpa, North Face and Marmot gear and junk all the inefficient cheap cr4p I have to use at the moment.

The body seems to have reached a plateau now as again the first 6,000 steps are relatively trouble free and achieved with a constant pace. Once more its the last 4,000 that prove problematic as the legs seem to morph into lead ingots lanced with fire.

Maybe its something that I will just get through in the next few days.

Time 2h 34m 37s
    Distance 5.12miles
    Steps 10,327
    Cals 1896

Total raised so far stands at £270 for which I am so very grateful.

Should anybody wish to support my efforts the link to my just giving page is here.

DO NOT FEEL UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO DONATE.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/markwalks

So, it's another day in paradise completed 21 to go. Gotta go dry my kit out ready for tomorrow.

Have a great day.

Mark.
  • Options
    Day 10 10,511 steps, shite weather, soaked went home and changed twice, soul destroying.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

Day 10 10,511 steps, shite weather, soaked went home and changed twice, soul destroying.

Hey buddy we're a third of the way through yeah, one day at a time. Just keep going.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Well done to both guys on continuing their step challenge in difficult conditions.
    Decent waterproof gear, especially boots essential. Next few days likely to be rinse and repeat, look after yourselves guys.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Day 11 10,198 steps out the road, time sit down crack open a bottle and watch the Gers ( although I think this will be the hardest game of the season ) :# .
  • Options
    Day 11 and quite possibly the first day I've seriously considered not going out, however responsibilty overcame reluctance and I strode Captain Oates like into the morning.

The rain drove horizontally carrying with it the general detritus of the street, fast food, containers, empty cans, the occasional small child, all whipping by in the chaos of the maelstrom.

A miserable day pounding the Six Towns Park, Fenton Cemetry and Fenton Park put paid to the steps eventually. Didnt interact with anybody as I was the only idiot out and about although some afternoon sun between the squalls tempted a few dogs to drag their owners out, but by then I was past caring.

The day was complete when I discovered I hadn't set the Fit Pro properly and so only have the step numbers and no other data.

Steps 10,476

Everything hurts, what doesnt hurt is broken and everything is soaked.

Roll on tomorrow.

A massive thanks to all you guys who have donated. Words can't do my appreciation justice.

Have a great day.

Mark
  • Options
    Day 12 10,061 steps, just made it over the line today.