You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Mark Walks

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,156
    rabdeniro said:

Day 12 10,061 steps, just made it over the line today.

Just is enough mate. Good going.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Day 12 Central Forest Park

Possibly the worst place to pick when there's a hoolie blowing. Still the beds made better lie in it etc.

Really happy with the stamina levels today, that's not to say the challenge was painless, far from it. In fact going off trail uphill on a muddy surface is probably one of my least better ideas as the calves and quads took it in turns to inflict misery depending on whether ascent or descent was the direction of travel required.

I love horizontal rain. The image it presents as it utilises woodland as its backdrop, the way it patterns the lakes surface and the way it finds every little exposed part of your neck to run chillingly down the back and send a shiver up the spine.

Time 2h 28m 18s
    Distance 5.13miles
    Steps 10,671
    Cals 1893

Another day completed, 19 more to go.

Total raised so far stands at £370 for which I am so very grateful.

Should anybody wish to support my efforts the link to my just giving page is here.

DO NOT FEEL UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO DONATE.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/markwalks

Have a great day / weekend

Mark
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Day 13 10,187 steps.
  • Options
    Day 13 and wow talk about getting it wrong. I thought I'd sneak an easy one in today and pootled down to Hem Heath woods thinking that a couple of hours would see it off. The main track was walkable but, me being me, decided to take the right hand path which was in horse racing parlance very heavy.

Just as I'd mastered the art of staying upright on what was really a boggy, muddy tree branch festooned slop fest the heavens opened and snow and hail bombarded me, the temperature dropped about 6 degrees in as many seconds and my misery was complete.

Eventually I emerged into the Wedgwood Museum car park and with the sun now out and the wind drying the concrete really quickly, treated myself to a short rest on the benches, necked some water, warmed up a little and decided to go back via the main track.

A few hundred metres of pavement takes me to the start point of the main / central path and this proves much easier to travel. Just as well really as by now it's sleeting again, the legs are screaming for mercy, and it's no longer fun. It takes a little over half the outward time to get back to the car park, such is the quality of this path and another day is in the books.

Experience has taught me to always keep a towel, a clean dry t shirt and a warm fleece or hoodie in the boot of the car and I must admit that the feeling of almost immediately being dry and toasty is one that always makes me feel better.

Time 2hr 33m 41s
    Distance 5.11 miles
    Steps 10,278
    Cals 1655

Should anybody wish to support my efforts the link to my just giving page is here.

PLEASE DO NOT FEEL UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO DONATE.

Have a brilliant day.

Mark
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    @TheEdge949 This is the best regular/daily post on the forum. Your descriptive accounts make me almost believe that I'm there walking with you. In the great philosophy of the 1970's Carry On Walking.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    Another reader loving the write ups....with the time on your feet & the physical effort it must be taking... i applaud you. However, its the mental effort thats more inspiring.
    A qoute from John Muir, as you seem to be enjoying the outdoors..
    " every time you walk in nature, you recieve more than you were ever expecting"
    GL
  • Options
    Day 14 10,242 steps.
  • Options
    Day 15 10,179 steps.
  • Options
    Sorry for the absence of a write up yesterday day 14, but after completing some 10,112 steps around Westport Lake I went for a meal at my mothers house to celebrate Mothers Day with her. She is in a social bubble with my wife and myself as she lives on her own so if we're breaking regulations, well she's 82 and I don't really see many more of these opportunities presenting before it's no longer possible.

However a flat tyre meant that we were stuck there until this morning when I could get to the nearest tyre place and get a new one fitted. My car doesn't have the bracket and spare but instead has a compressor and a sealant container designed to repair any puncture until you can get the vehicle to a garage. However this plan fails when you discover that the system has already been used and therefore the container has no sealant.

Inflate tyre to 35psi then get to nearest retailer, about 2 miles up the road. Mission accomplished.

Today, day 15 has been about as confused as it gets with me having to get steps in wherever I could like outside Billy Whizz Tyres, Asda car park, around Alexandria Park Retail Park, Phoenix Retail Park and Central Forest Park.

Breaking it up into small segments was not ideal but it was the only way I could be certain of completing the target today. I am not a fan of this as I feel it compromises the integrity of the challenge but it was either that or not post a successful total. A side benefit is that its almost like I've sneaked a recovery day, which if I'm honest the legs were crying out for.

So another day done and after tomorrow it will be more than 50% complete.

Distance 4.98 miles
    Steps 10, 519

Have a brilliant day.

Mark
  • Options
    Day 16 which means there is now less of the challenge to go than I have already completed.

However the plans for an early start went a tad awry as I awoke left the house at 8.10 in apalling weather, heard the forecast for later in the day on the car radio and was back in bed by 9 am.

I thought I would see this day 16 milestone by pushing for a best ever time for the daily challenge so once again it was back to Longton Brook Greenway and the Trent and Mersey Canal towpath.

It went really well as I went past the normal 1st rest point feeling strong. The pace was steady, legs felt good, nothing ached, nothing hurt and I was actually enjoying it.

Got to the usual half way turn around point and rested for 5 minutes, checked the Fit Pro and oh cr4p. Instead of showing 5,000 steps or more it was only reading 4,322, I can only assume that the length of my stride was longer than usual due to the steady rhythm I had been utilising.

Whatever, it threw me a little so it was on towards Barlaston rather than back towards home and then the little voice in my head starts asking questions. Should I stay on the path until I hit the 10,000 then get a bus, phone someone to come get me or just turn around when it shows 5,000.

Of course what happened was I checked the Fit Pro and found I'd now walked more steps than I should and of course as a little weariness crept in the stride length shortened and I ended up walking about a thousand more than was necessary and consequently the time went to pot which ruined the whole thing.

Time 2h 42m 35s
    Distance 5.58 miles
    Steps 11,062
    Cals 1883

Total raised so far now stands at £470 + 25% gift aid. Thank you so much to everybody who has supported me whether with money, kind words, encouragement or prayers. You really do motivate me to get this done.

Have a brilliant day.

Mark

• Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Don’t bemoan the extra steps Mark.
    Look at the positives, you’ve walked more than ever and no aches or pains. Brilliant news for you. Without going back and reading the whole thread again, do you plan to keep walking at months end? The health benefits of regular exercise are huge. Have you weighed yourself, seen any loss on the scales yet.
    Really pleased you went pain free today. Keep it up.
  • Options
    Day 16 10,244 steps, first day the weather has been really nice, hoodie walking day.
  • Options
    pompeynic said:

Don’t bemoan the extra steps Mark.
    Look at the positives, you’ve walked more than ever and no aches or pains. Brilliant news for you. Without going back and reading the whole thread again, do you plan to keep walking at months end? The health benefits of regular exercise are huge. Have you weighed yourself, seen any loss on the scales yet.
    Really pleased you went pain free today. Keep it up.

Hi Nic yes I'm hoping to keep on getting fitter after the challenge. Will continue to walk and hopefully as lockdown eases I can get into Snowdonia. The ultimate aim is to reach a level of fitness where I can start to get back to big days out in the mountains and get things like the Welsh 3,000s Challenge ticked off.

Haven't got on the scales yet but the increased exercise, lack of alcohol and eating healthily will surely tell when I do. Also the re opening of gyms on April 12 will be a huge benefit for me, I am hoping to start maybe jogging as I lose more weight and the stress on the knees eases.

I have always wanted to do the hike to Everest base camp, but that requires really good fitness levels. Maybe I should make that my can do dream eh?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,489
    edited March 2021
    Only halfway there but sure you'll finish ..... as promised my £5 e/w bet meant you have to do it all again backward. cough!
  • Options
    Day 17 and certainly the best day I've had to date.

Had to deliver some stuff to one of my daughters today so instead of taking the car for the 2 mile journey I elected to put the items in a rucksack and walk.

The terrain and weather meant I could exchange boots for trainers, 3 season coat for lightweight jacket and the requirement for gloves and headwear didn't exist.

Walked there non stop, a first for me, using green spaces and footpaths rather than pavements and arrived a little breathless, very sweaty but otherwise feeling good. Sat on the garden wall rehydrating ,enjoying the sunshine and chatting for about 15 minutes and then came back.

The route back was different and longer which included a 3/4 mile long uphill pull but I managed to do it and got back home with just a single rest stop.

So without feeling too full of myself, I'm kind of proud of todays effort. Just 2 weeks left, yes that's all, 14 more days until challenge end. Just need to stay injury free and focussed on each days challenge.

Time 2h 17m 19s
    Distance 4.98 miles
    Steps 10,839
    Cals 1864

AS USUAL, PLEASE DO NOT FEEL UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO DONATE

Have a beautiful day everybody, stay safe.

Mark

• Options
    Day 17 10,150 steps, did the walk tonight, it was balmy night very pleasant.
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 933
    Hey Mark. I have only just caught up with this thread. I don't often venture into The Rail.

I would just like to say that you are doing absolutely fantastic, and I love how you are proving those darn doubters wrong! Keep up the great work and hopefully the weather is favourable for the rest of the month.

I'll be following your future write ups. You sure have a way with words.

Also, Rab, You are doing awesome too! It can't be easy to follow a strict regime such as this. I know I couldn't. Good luck!
  • Options

Hey Mark. I have only just caught up with this thread. I don't often venture into The Rail.

I would just like to say that you are doing absolutely fantastic, and I love how you are proving those darn doubters wrong! Keep up the great work and hopefully the weather is favourable for the rest of the month.

I'll be following your future write ups. You sure have a way with words.

Also, Rab, You are doing awesome too! It can't be easy to follow a strict regime such as this. I know I couldn't. Good luck!

Thank you very much for your kind words. Encouragement and praise are still currencies that cannot be devalued.
  • Options
    Day 18 10,145 steps, getting this down to a tee, as little steps over the 10,000 as possible, another great day weather wise.
  • Options
    Day 18 and this was about as straightforward as they come with nothing really to write about as Westport Lake surrendered the required steps without a fight.

It was several degrees cooler than yesterday with gloves and headwear required as a biting wind swept across the lake but that aside it was pleasant enough as long as you kept moving.

Just really conscious now that only injury or stupidity can probably stop me achieving what many would have said was a pipe dream. Please don't get me wrong, it still isn't easy or even hugely enjoyable, but it is doable and that's all that matters.

A really quick summary today but that's all folks.

As usual my heartfelt thanks to everybody who has and who continues to support me.

Time 2h 29m 37s
    Distance 5.11 miles
    Steps 10,112
    Cals 1765

Have a cracking Friday.

Mark