You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Mark Walks

Comments

• Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    edited March 2021
    I actually prefer walking in the cold weather. You can always warm up, through the exertions you put in. Even a modest rise in temperature however, leads to profuse perspiration, never a great look on a big lad. However I try to walk through my worried thoughts of what other people might be thinking , I’m at least trying to be healthier.
    Great efforts by you two guys, keep it going , you are in a lot better position than eighteen days ago.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,157
    Day 19 It's supposed to get easier eh? Maybe, but I'm aching like nobody's business right now.

Took the usual pathway to the canal but decided to turn left toward the Bet 365 Stadium just for a change and walked into the dusk, headtorch a shining, legs feeling strong and no idea of whether I'd be able to exit the towpath before the stadium.

As it was I found a pedestrian exit but I'd managed to lose my bearings. I knew I was still in Trentham but it took me about 10 minutes to get my act together and head in the right direction.

However, this comes with a problem and that's pavement pounding. Unlike footpaths and towpaths, pavements absolutely hammer my knees despite the trekking poles I use to help alleviate the stresses on my joints. Two miles of pavements later and I'm ready for the knackers yard as I drag my protesting body slowly towards the waiting car.

A tough evening but it's more miles in the legs, more stamina in the tank and more pennies in the bank.

Roll on tomorrow.

Time 2h 26m 09s
    Distance 5.09 miles
    Steps 10,329
    Cals 1755

Should anybody wish to support my efforts the link to my just giving page is here.

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/markwalks

PLEASE DO NOT FEEL UNDER ANY OBLIGATION TO DONATE.

Total raised so far £530 + gift aid

Have a peachy day folks and stay safe

Mark
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Day 19 10,044 steps, another rare day weather wise, went a walk doon the shore tonight the young team were there en masse, there were even lassies in the watter, oh to be young and not feel the cauld.
  • Options
    Day 20 10,053 steps, another fine day weather wise.
  • Options
    Day 20

Today I decided to give the legs a bit of a trashing so it was the long round of Trentham Park complete with the ascent up to the old Seven Sisters site.
    Spectacular views across the City competed with aching quads and raggedy breathing for my immediate attention. The views won, oh look floodlights on at the Bet365, wonder how Stoke are getting on.

I parked my backside, bear like, on a grassy hillock, swigged some fluids and wondered why the heck I decided to drag my carcass up here. Yes, yes I know why, just humour me, I was just having a private pity party.
    Anyway, got my butt in gear, plodded down Jacobs Ladder and shuffled my way back to the car.

Another day done, 11 to go and the finish line is getting nearer.

Time 2h 18m 26s
    Distance 5.15 miles
    Steps 10,366
    Cals1805

As always thank you to all of you who support me, however you chose to do that. You are the ones driving me on, all I do is put one foot in front of another.

I can say with certainty that this daily diary is what's prevented me from quitting at one point or another, as long as you continue to view it I have to write it and that means I gotta walk the walk. 😊

Have a great Sunday

Mark
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    Not long to go... you are doing good man!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,174

Thought this might interest you Mark;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56474930
  • Options
    Day 21 10,089 steps, knackered, time for a shandy.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Thought this might interest you Mark;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56474930

The big problem is that most staff are now supplied by security companies who are in effect nothing more than an agency providing qualified persons. And like all agencies they charge lots and pay little.

Before the pandemic average doorstaff wage in Stoke on Trent £ 9.50 ph, average cost to the venues £ 16 ph

With the new training, qualifications and the cost of the SIA license, its getting on for over a grand a doorman has to pay out even before he starts work.

Perhaps it's time to go back to " in house " security.
  • Options
    Day21

Well hello and yup it's official 3 weeks gone only 10 days left and that's great for all of us, me because the challenge will be completed and you guys because you wont have to suffer my inane ramblings.

Actually inane ramblings is probably a good place to start todays recap as yesterdays plan to trash the legs went a little to well. In fact it went brilliantly, so much so that my legs ceased all co-operation with the rest of my body. I guessed it was going to be a struggle today when I overheard the conversation between left leg and right leg as I drove to Lyme Valley Parkway. I wont bore you with the details but sufficed to say they were not amused by the total flogging they got yesterday and had decided to rebel.

This then is where the inane rambling occurred as I literally forced my legs to work properly and spent the first hour or so talking to myself, much to the consternation of those in close proximity.

I can only imagine what a site I must have cut as I desperately tried to get some control over my gait, muttering darkly to myself and sporting a 1,000 yard stare. I guess all that was missing was a half empty bottle or a dog on a piece of string.

Eventually everything starts working as the legs slip into a forgiving mood and the weirdo with the sticks transforms into the walker with the poles complete with a smile and a "hail fellow well met" demeanour.

Guess what I've got planned for tomorrow? That's right a big day out covering about 8 miles and hopefully nearly 20,000 steps.

Why? Well I need to see just how much my fitness levels have improved since I started and If I can get 1 huge day into the muscles that should make the last 9 days much easier.

Ssshhhh It's our little secret, just don't tell the legs.😉😉😉

Time 2h 23m 19s
    Distance 5.07 miles
    Steps 10,103
    Cals 1495

Have a great day, stay safe.

Mark
  • Options
    Hi Mark,
    I for one, look forward to and enjoy reading your ramblings.
    If anyone out there needs inspiration for starting a new regime, then this would be the perfect place for them to come. No hiding of the truth that yes, this is going to hurt, but also that it does become easier as we go on. I admire the way you and @rabdeniro have kept going . It takes a lot of willpower, which you will need long term, to get up and go every day , no matter the obstacles.
    If you are eating healthily, cutting out or down on the alcohol, your fitness levels will improve and your weight will go down , which in turn leads to less pain and inevitable illness and complications in years ahead.
    Forge on my friends.
  • Options
    Day 22 10,068 steps, took some photos of where I walked, as you will see am nae David Bailey............

• Options
    Day 22

Well the big walk day didn't happen thanks to a microscopic something or other that got into my system and absolutely ran amok.

For the first time on the challenge I have failed to make the target of 10,000 steps and it's no lie to say I'm absolutely devastated by that failure.

In fact I only managed to scrape some 6,000 in as the body completely refused to keep anything either in or down and the energy levels fell through the floor.

I always thought it would be a sprain, a twist, a pull or arthritis that would cause a fail day during the month not some parasitic microbe. I mean like where the heck is my immunity system, stuff like this doesn't usually total me like this.

All I can do is apologise for this blip, get back in stride tomorrow and then make up the shortfall.

The big day has been rescheduled for Wednesday which hopefully sets the body up for the final week, just feeling really low at this moment. I wanted so badly to hit target everyday that right now feels anti climactic, disappointing and horrible.

I have no idea what the bug is, I don't think it's anything I've eaten as the wife hasn't shown any signs of similar problems and it's this not knowing the cause that's also made me really down. I wonder what I did or didn't do that led to me falling sick and whether I could have avoided it.

I can tell you this I will smash it on Tuesday if I have to crawl through a pool of my own puke or worse to do it, there's no way I can take this feeling of failure again. In fact I didn't even want to post hence the very late update, but I owe it to you guys to do so.

Time 2 h 51m 43s
    Distance 2.95 miles
    Steps 6,033
    Cals 817

Hope you all have a great day.

Mark
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Take care Mark.....try not to over do it. You have to look after yourself, especially nowadays. Get plenty of Vitamin C & D down you. I hope you wake up today feeling fresher and energy levels are back up to normal.
  • Options

Day 22

Well the big walk day didn't happen thanks to a microscopic something or other that got into my system and absolutely ran amok.

For the first time on the challenge I have failed to make the target of 10,000 steps and it's no lie to say I'm absolutely devastated by that failure.

In fact I only managed to scrape some 6,000 in as the body completely refused to keep anything either in or down and the energy levels fell through the floor.

I always thought it would be a sprain, a twist, a pull or arthritis that would cause a fail day during the month not some parasitic microbe. I mean like where the heck is my immunity system, stuff like this doesn't usually total me like this.

All I can do is apologise for this blip, get back in stride tomorrow and then make up the shortfall.

The big day has been rescheduled for Wednesday which hopefully sets the body up for the final week, just feeling really low at this moment. I wanted so badly to hit target everyday that right now feels anti climactic, disappointing and horrible.

I have no idea what the bug is, I don't think it's anything I've eaten as the wife hasn't shown any signs of similar problems and it's this not knowing the cause that's also made me really down. I wonder what I did or didn't do that led to me falling sick and whether I could have avoided it.

I can tell you this I will smash it on Tuesday if I have to crawl through a pool of my own puke or worse to do it, there's no way I can take this feeling of failure again. In fact I didn't even want to post hence the very late update, but I owe it to you guys to do so.

Time 2 h 51m 43s
    Distance 2.95 miles
    Steps 6,033
    Cals 817

Hope you all have a great day.

Mark

There isn't anything you can do if a bug catches you, the main thing is you want to keep going and am sure you will, you've came this far, not long to go am sure you'll do it, don't get disheartened as Scarlett O'Hara said "Tomorrow is another day".
  • Options
    Don’t get too down on yourself Mark.
    I know from experience, if you beat yourself up over something beyond your control, it tends to lead to negativity and further lapses, in my case I have a habit of “ doubling down” after an overeating day. Silly really , but the brain is a wonderful, yet at times , frustrating and fragile thing.
    You are on a very very long path, a new fitness regime and healthier lifestyle. This is a life changing commitment, one slip does not mean you should destroy yourself over something you had no control over.
    Dust yourself off, go again tomorrow.
    Nick
  • Options
    And on the 23rd day he shall put aside his self pity, his sombre demeanour and his failings and from the ashes he shall rise phoenix like.

Yes today went so much better and I really ramped up the steps with a 6 mile, 14,000 step blast, which began in North St Stoke and went along the canal towpath past the Bet365 and then continued on the footpath around the back of Radial Park to emerge on the top of Primrose Hill in Hanford before a road walk deposited me at Trentham Gardens.

Job done and redemption. I know that people wouldn't judge the challenge a failure on one bad day, but I am my own harshest critic and to my mind balance needed restoring. It has been, good, now we move on.

Just how big tomorrows "big day" ends up being depends largely on 2 things. Firstly how the body feels when I wake up and secondly how it feels at the point where the decision to go left and just log a normal day or stay straight on to epic city is made.

Time 2h 55m 15s
    Distance 6.31 miles
    Steps 14,173
    Cals 1986

So yeah, the feelgood factor is back and lets hope that's the last of the problems.

Have a brilliant day, stay safe, take care.

Mark
  • Options
    Day 23 10,120 steps, **** down tonight again.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

Day 23 10,120 steps, **** down tonight again.

Keep on going buddy just 8 more walks and you've nailed it. Top man.
  • Options
    Day 24 11,860 steps, took some more photos where I walked...........
    Woodland walk across from ma hoose

Ravenspark GC cooncil course

Fur coat an nae knickers course, snobs course

The " Greasypole " every Marymass teams of boys an lassies try to climb it to get a slab of ham nailed and tied down with wire, they then go round the crowds an in the pubs wi a sheet to collect money.

Camels Brig where the poachers try to nab a salmon

The weir at the moor

Burns statue, fenced aff so the neds cannae deface it

The low green

Seagate castle where Mary Queen of Scots once stayed

Ma local, just walked by it to see if this was a bad dream and it was open, sadly it's no ( It's been over a year since I was in it ) :'(