You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Mark Walks

123457»

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
    OK guys, sorry for the lack of an update yesterday but it was the wife's birthday and you know how she's a total diva if it's not all about her 🤣🤣.

Anyway yesterday was just a case of getting them in around the birthday commitments which I managed and it was roll on Today and the final day of the challenge.

Don't know how warm it actually was today but it felt positively like lie around a pool with an ice cold beverage, rather than sweat your way around the sun baked streets of Trentham. Oh my days last time I was that hot and uncomfortable I was sweating on the jury bringing in a not guilty verdict.

However, through the discomfort and the heat, the countdown was running in my head and with the help of Metallica and Motorhead fuelled adrenalin the final target was met to render the challenge complete.

I'm not sure what I feel as I write this. Do I feel proud, vindicated, justified, satisfied, in fact is it ok to feel these things, should I be full of self congratulation or should I just quietly reflect on the job done.

To be honest I don't know what's right but I am already aware that I shall not be the same person I was prior to this, the desire to get fitter, go further, higher and faster has been awakened, and whether future challenges are done for the benefit of others or simply to better oneself I shall meet them head on.

Thank you to so much to everyone who has followed this journey and supported me.
    Thank you for the messages, comments, donations, texts and kindness you have shown, it's been an incredible 31 days full of highs, some lows, some pain and much elation.
    I will post an update regarding the total monies raised in about a week once I've been able to confirm the figures with CRUK.

In the meantime here are the month totals for the challenge.

Please be aware that these may differ slightly from the totals posted each day as the cumulative total is sourced from a different device.

Total Steps 334,852
    Total Miles 153.78

Just want to add a big congratulations and well done to @rabdeniro, awesome effort buddy, really well done,

So that's about all from me for the moment, I am going to begin the Everest Challenge at some point next week but this will be over 40 days rather than the hoped for 28, this decision has been taken after speaking with medical professionals.

I may post a thread about this but it is definately NOT for charity.

Have a great Easter, peace and love to you all.

Mark
  • QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    Congratulations Mark... it has been great to join you on your journey and follow your life changing challenge.
    Good luck in reaching your future goals!
  • GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,541
    Well Done. Great Effort. BTW.... I have arranged for your Mrs. to wake you up tomoz morning and say..."Well, this is the last day of your challenge Mark, would you like a cup of tea?"
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Hi Mark,
    You should celebrate in whatever way you see fit. The achievement is massive. I’ve no idea what your normal mileage in a month would be, but it would be nowhere near 154 miles I wager.
    You’ve lost weight, started a life changing regimen of exercise and healthier choices food and drink wise. Never an easy thing to do. If you keep going you will soon see a change physically as well, notches on a belt never before used, your joints will also start to feel the benefits, leading to fewer aches and pains.
    So happy for you and @rabdeniro to finish the challenge.
    Very well done guys.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    Large chicken kebab and a box of 20 for celebrations 😉
    Well done mate an excellent feat
    OK guys n girls as promised here's an update on the total raised by the challenge.

As at 15.30 on 08.04.21 the total raised is as follows

Online donations £456 + £101.5 gift aid

Offline donations £225 + £56.25 gift aid

Total donated £681

Total gift aid £157.75

TOTAL TO CANCER RESEARCH UK £838.75

This is not a final total as there are people who due to financial commitments have pledged donations at the end of April.

Also I have collection boxes that will have to be serviced and included in any final figures.

However the challenge is officially over and a sincere thank you to all you guys for your kindness, support and encouragement.

My love to you all.

Mark
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Well done Mark on achieving your goal and raising some money for a worthy cause at the same time.
    Hi everyone, just an update with 8 days to go until I close my fundraising efforts.

The current total including gift aid sits at £926.25.

There's still a couple of donations to collect so with those and the collection pots it might just make the £1K mark which would be incredible.

I'm thinking hard about a challenge for next year but want to avoid the "organised events". I'm very aware that most of these use a minimum amount of the funds raised to cover the expenses involved with such undertakings, and to my mind tha'ts like asking people to pay for an adventure holiday you want to go on.

So with that in mind I may decide to undertake something like a self supported through hike such as the Coast to coast or the West Highland Way. I may even do an independent ascent of Kilimanjaro or the Tour de Mount Blanc in order to gain some experience of altitude prior to Oct 2023 which is both my 60th birthday and hopefully my Everest base camp trek.

Yes I'm going to be creating a training blog/ diary covering the next 2 and a half years for no other reason than to keep me accountable, focussed and honest.

Even as I write this I'm recovering from a brutal 6 hour hike in the Glyderau on Tuesday with about 1500 feet of ascent although as with all overweight people it was the descent that hammered the knees.

Still, someone close to me laughed and was derisive when i mentioned EBC. I just hope they are still around in 30 months when I pull it off.

Speak soon.

Mark