You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Interesting facts

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,576
    lucy4 said:

Surely the longest train journey in the world is any operated by Southern Rail.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,671

With regard to the above, I think it's an interesting fact that whilst Blackadder was for the most part really funny, that last scene has been voted as one of the most heartwrenching and poignant scenes from British television.

No words required.

I agree, when I watched it I had tears streaming down my face but the **** thing was meant to be a comedy.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,479
    It fascinated me to learn that Western Australia is roughly the same size as Western Europe.

And, apart from a relatively small part of WA surrounding Perth, the total population is about 200,000.

That is an area the size of Western Europe.

With a total population the size of Milton Keynes...
    edited May 12
    Essexphil said:

It fascinated me to learn that Western Australia is roughly the same size as Western Europe.

And, apart from a relatively small part of WA surrounding Perth, the total population is about 200,000.

That is an area the size of Western Europe.

With a total population the size of Milton Keynes...

You could probably drive through WA quicker than Milton Keynes though.
    And the plane is a Gloster Meteor. The first British jet fighter and the only allied jet to reach operational status and fly combat missions during WW2.

Built by Gloster Aircraft Company. 3,875 Meteors were built in total with that particular one WL419 manufactured in 1952.

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,817
    this one was the exception......

With all the £millions & £billions being thrown about during the election campaign I found this interesting as to the difference between the numbers.

The magnitude of difference between billion and million can be illustrated with this example of the time scale:

A million seconds is 12 days.
    A billion seconds is 31 years.
    A trillion seconds is 31,688 years.

The video further compares the three numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRPCheyE6o

Also the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire is huge.

A million dollars is a lot of money, but it's not as far away as you might think. Look at it this way: $1 million is 1,000 times $1,000. A billion dollars, on the other hand, is 1,000 times $1 million. That means a billionaire has a thousand times more wealth than a millionaire . . . just think about that for a minute!

If you have $10,000 in the bank, congratulations: You’re 10 times closer to becoming a millionaire than a millionaire is to reaching billionaire status.
    Do you like a bit of peace and quiet..?

No one can stay in the quietest room in the world for more than an hour.

Silence is golden — unless you find yourself in the quietest room in the world.

In 2015, Microsoft built what is now in the Guinness Book of World Records as the quietest place on the planet, the NY Post reports.

Known as the anechoic chamber at the company’s headquarters in Redmond, Washington, “ultra-sensitive tests” performed in 2015 gave an average background noise reading of -20.35 dBA (decibels A-weighted — a measurement of the sound pressure level).

Only very few people have been able to withstand being in the room for a long period of time — at most an hour.

After a few minutes, you’ll already start to hear your own heartbeat. A few minutes after that, you can hear your own bones grinding and blood flowing.

The point of the anechoic chamber isn’t that you will hear nothing, but that it will remove all other outside noise and allow you to hear the endless sounds of your own body.

Only in death is the body completely silent.

Environments we think of as ultra-quiet are typically louder than the human hearing threshold, which is around 0 decibels.

A library reading room, for instance, might chalk up around 40 decibels.

With no sound from the outside world coming in, the total and utter silence will gradually turn into an unbearable ringing in your ears.

This will likely lead you to lose your balance due to the lack of reverberation in the room, which impairs your spatial awareness.

“When you turn your head, you can even hear that motion,” Hundraj Gopal, principal designer of the chamber at Microsoft, previously said. “You can hear yourself breathing and it sounds somewhat loud.”

He added, “To give you a rough idea, the Brownian motion, that is the random air particles in space, is around -23dBA. You can’t get any quieter because that’s just the air particles moving. We are at the edge of what is the limits of physics in that sense.”

The word anechoic means “without echo”. It took two years to design the space.

Made up of six layers of concrete and steel, it’s a bit disconnected from the surrounding building. An array of vibration-damping springs are situated below. Inside, fibreglass wedges are mounted on the floor, ceiling, and walls to break up sound waves before they have a chance to bounce back into the room.

I think this could rival Route66 for an adventure.

• mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,790
    If a clock loses 1 second per year, it will eventually be correct in 43,000 years.
    edited August 25