You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Interesting facts

1789101113»

Comments

• lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,671
    Fact Slap đź‘‹

Today in 2012, Voyager 1 officially leaves our Solar System and enters interstellar space.

Currently, the probe is 15 Billion miles away from Earth, making it the furthest man made object ever sent into the cosmos. It will continue to send back data to NASA until 2025 when it’s onboard fuel cells run dry. It will then drift on through space for the rest of time.

Onboard, it is carrying a solid gold disc that contains:

• Greetings in 55 languages from ancient Sumerian to Modern English, Mandarin and even Welsh.

• A collection of the earth sound including rain, thunder to a baby’s cry and a jet engine.

• 90 minutes of music from traditional folk music from around the world to classical greats like Mozart and Beethoven to Chuck Berry.

• 116 images of earth, humans, nature, animals and our Solar System are also included.

As the disc is solid gold, it shouldn’t decay meaning the information will be preserved for eternity, this could well be the only artefact in the distant future that humans ever existed if we don’t make it for whatever reason.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,702

15 Billion miles away from Earth

Seriously? Wow.
    Tikay10 said:

15 Billion miles away from Earth

Seriously? Wow.

I did (pardon the pun) also find it a bit far fetched but after a google search I found the following. I'm now fascinated by both the Voyager programmes, I didn't realise they were launched such a long time ago back in 1977.

Voyager 1 is a space probe launched by NASA on September 5, 1977, as part of the Voyager program to study the outer Solar System and the interstellar space beyond the Sun's heliosphere. It was launched 16 days after its twin, Voyager 2. It communicates through the NASA Deep Space Network (DSN) to receive routine commands and to transmit data to Earth. Real-time distance and velocity data are provided by NASA and JPL. At a distance of 164.0 AU (24.5 billion km; 15.2 billion mi) from Earth as of August 2024, it is the most distant human-made object from Earth.

Voyager 1's trajectory seen from Earth, diverging from the ecliptic in 1981 at Saturn and now heading towards the constellation Ophiuchus.

NASA website shows their real time locations updated every 5 minutes.

https://science.nasa.gov/mission/voyager/where-are-they-now/

The NASA main website for the Voyager programme.

https://science.nasa.gov/mission/voyager

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

From the department of “They sold that for how much?!” comes today’s story, about an Italian artist who, for the cool price of €15,000 ($18,300), recently auctioned an artwork that is… well, nothing.

The 67-year-old artist Salvatore Garau sold an “immaterial sculpture”—which is to say that it doesn’t exist.

To be fair, the artist might disagree on conceptual grounds. For Garau, the artwork, titled lo sono (which translates to “I am”), finds form in its own nothingness. “The vacuum is nothing more than a space full of energy, and even if we empty it and there is nothing left, according to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, that nothing has a weight,” he told the Spanish news outlet Diario AS. “Therefore, it has energy that is condensed and transformed into particles, that is, into us.”

The pre-sale estimate valued the piece between €6,000-9,000, according to AS, but competing bidders pushed the price tag to €15,000.

The lucky buyer went home with a certificate of authenticity and a set of instructions: the work, per Garau, must be exhibited in a private house in a roughly five-by-five-foot space free of obstruction.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/italian-artist-auctioned-off-invisible-sculpture-18300-literally-made-nothing-1976181
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355
    Nuts.

• green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,924
    just giving an artist some funding and great publicity imo..... i love the concept, i have some great pieces if anyone is interested......
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,817
    The U.F.O. in the picture can be clearly seen by closing one eye. I have letter to prove it.

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,757
    lucy4 said:
    It's a wonderful building and only a 5 minute drive from my house and yet i've only been there once (inside) and that was with school , i've been a couple of times but it was always closed pre internet , what struck me was the old graffiti on the bridge , Tom was ere 1806
    stokefc said:

lucy4 said:
    It's a wonderful building and only a 5 minute drive from my house and yet i've only been there once (inside) and that was with school , i've been a couple of times but it was always closed pre internet , what struck me was the old graffiti on the bridge , Tom was ere 1806
    @stokefc we need you to visit the place with your spirit level and take a photo of the bubble as that fireplace definitely looks wonky to me :D
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,757
    In all it's glory

Only in Britain could this occur.

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,817
    Gulp!

Nuclear Energy keeps our air clean

The United States Energy Department has noted that nuclear energy helps to keep the air in America clean and reported that the country avoided more than 471 metric tons of carbon emissions in 2022. That was equal to removing 100 million cars from the road!