You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Interesting facts

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024

I imagine that these days there is more computing power in a smartphone.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,087
    Tikay10 said:

I imagine that these days there is more computing power in a smartphone.

I read somewhere that there's more computing power in today's smartphones than what sent the first men to the moon.
  • Options
    Your Laptop Charger Is More Powerful Than Apollo 11's Computer.

In the half-century since the historic Apollo 11 Moon landing in 1969, computer technology has evolved in some pretty giant leaps itself.

So much so, that even simple devices today are more powerful, in terms of raw processing power, than the Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) was – a machine that helped us to pull off arguably the greatest and most ambitious scientific feat of modern history.

These kinds of comparisons might seem unflattering to NASA's proud technological legacy, but they're not meant to be.

If anything, they serve as a reminder of the incredibly brilliant engineering and mathematics behind the agency's famous space program in the late 1960s, given the technological limitations of the time.

Even though the AGC was a cutting-edge technological marvel in its day – considered to be years ahead of the field – modern comparisons suggest it would be massively outperformed by even the most elementary computers of the 21st century.

In fact, early home computers like the Apple II caught up to the AGC's performance in the late 1970s, and since then, modern devices have only continued to become more powerful.

Even simple calculators designed for students, and released over 20 years ago, are said to be over 100 times faster than the AGC – and as for more sophisticated devices, there is basically not even a shadow of competition.

"The iPhone in your pocket has over 100,000 times the processing power of the computer that landed man on the Moon 50 years ago," computer scientist Graham Kendall from the University of Nottingham explained last year in The Conversation.

Of course, this is not altogether surprising. Today's smartphone represents five whole decades of incremental technological evolution since the AGC was pioneered. If anything, it would be shocking if the glorious but comparatively primitive machine of yesteryear had not been entirely eclipsed in terms of raw power 50 years later.

That said, it's still surprising how even the humblest of today's gadgets – devices we wouldn't even necessarily recognise as 'computers', in any functional sense – are now zooming past the AGC too.
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 525
    I recently learned the reason why English pubs have names like Red Lion, Blue Cow, Queen's Head, etc.

It's because back in the day, pubs were frequented by sailor and labourers who couldn't read. The only way they knew where to meet is down to the large signs all pubs had outside depicting the name of the venue.,
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,282
    Bean81 said:

I recently learned the reason why English pubs have names like Red Lion, Blue Cow, Queen's Head, etc.

It's because back in the day, pubs were frequented by sailor and labourers who couldn't read. The only way they knew where to meet is down to the large signs all pubs had outside depicting the name of the venue.,

Still works today when you're so drunk you don't know where you are and have to order an Uber to pick you up from 'that place with the big red roary thing outside'.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,647
    edited July 2023
    I've often wondered where The Red Lion derived from , are we talking pubs pre 500AD
    @lucy4
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,034
    I think this one named itself.
    Been in a few times.

• Options
    Interesting that Phil
    The Queens head protocol is this.
    You won’t find a Queen’s Head celebrating Elizabeth II just yet—modern protocol dictates that reigning monarchs should not be depicted on pub signs during their lifetime.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,238
    lucy4 said:

Where Sky use it to run the poker software.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

Been in a few times.

I like the brick shoring on the left hand side , that's not gonna tip over
  • Options
    stokefc said:

VespaPX said:

Been in a few times.

You should see inside.
    Dont need beers to make your eyes go funny.
    Oh and taking a p is interesting.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

stokefc said:

VespaPX said:

Been in a few times.

You should see inside.
    Dont need beers to make your eyes go funny.
    Oh and taking a p is interesting.
    Lop sided weeing , watch your feet
  • Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Talking of Jockey Wilson.
    Dexys Midnight Runners had a hit with “ Jackie Wilson Said”
    On their appearance on Top of the Pops, one of the staff was told to get a Photo of Jackie Wilson to put on the background whist they sang, I’m not sure if he misheard, but during the performance there was a big pic of Jockey Wilson instead 😄
  • Options
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,778
    lucy4 said:

wat a legend!