You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Partygate.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,044
    What a total shambles. A Conservative Party that won the last election on 3 things:-

1. Boris Johnson has got Brexit "done"
    2. Jeremy Corbyn couldn't run a pea soup in a brewery
    3. Labour can't be trusted to govern

Without wishing to sound obvious:-

1. Not true. What we have is that we have left the EU. What we do not have is any coherent plan as to what we can actually do now we have "got our country back"
    2. May well be true. But Mr Corbyn is not even currently in the Labour Party-he is sitting as an independent
    3. This looks like the 3rd election in a row where the country has been asked to put their faith in a leader (Cameron, May, Johnson) where the Tories have later decided that the duly elected leader is 2 & 3 above. So-do the country get to vote a new PM to run the country? Not a chance-just current Tory MPs. 361 people. Democracy? I have seen bigger military juntas!

But it gets worse. In the article above (9:07), look at the bit about Nadine Dorries. Can't say as I am her biggest fan. But, in the teeny tiny Tory electorate of 361 people, she has dared to show her support for her PM in a Whatsapp Group called "Clean Global Brexit". Whereupon she has been removed from the group. Regardless of the fact that she has consistently supported the Group's aims. There is not even democratic debate amongst the 361.

How do we put up with this totally undemocratic party misleading the country about who we are voting for? Time and time again.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,276
    Essexphil said:

What a total shambles. A Conservative Party that won the last election on 3 things:-

1. Not true. What we have is that we have left the EU. What we do not have is any coherent plan as to what we can actually do now we have "got our country back"
    2. May well be true. But Mr Corbyn is not even currently in the Labour Party-he is sitting as an independent
    3. This looks like the 3rd election in a row where the country has been asked to put their faith in a leader (Cameron, May, Johnson) where the Tories have later decided that the duly elected leader is 2 & 3 above. So-do the country get to vote a new PM to run the country? Not a chance-just current Tory MPs. 361 people. Democracy? I have seen bigger military juntas!

But it gets worse. In the article above (9:07), look at the bit about Nadine Dorries. Can't say as I am her biggest fan. But, in the teeny tiny Tory electorate of 361 people, she has dared to show her support for her PM in a Whatsapp Group called "Clean Global Brexit". Whereupon she has been removed from the group. Regardless of the fact that she has consistently supported the Group's aims. There is not even democratic debate amongst the 361.

How do we put up with this totally undemocratic party misleading the country about who we are voting for? Time and time again.

I listened to Peter Bone, who was on with Trevor Phillips this morning.
    He is one of the rebels protesting more restrictions.
    Yet he said that he had cancelled all his face to face meetings, wont be attending any gatherings at work, wont be attending any Christmas parties, and not visiting any venues where there is likely to be a large group of people.
    So he is ok with additional restrictions, but only on condition that the Government dont put them in place.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,044
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yet he said that he had cancelled all his face to face meetings, wont be attending any gatherings at work, wont be attending any Christmas parties, and not visiting any venues where there is likely to be a large group of people.
    So he is ok with additional restrictions, but only on condition that the Government dont put them in place.
    The only point in listening to Peter Bone is to ensure that, whatever he says, I want the opposite to happen.

A man removed from the 1922 Committee Executive for being too right wing. That and publicly supporting UKIP while sitting as a Conservative. Loyal to the core :)
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Essexphil said:

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/nadine-dorries-kicked-off-tory-mps-whatsapp-group-after-defending-hero-boris-johnson-12499621
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The only point in listening to Peter Bone is to ensure that, whatever he says, I want the opposite to happen.

A man removed from the 1922 Committee Executive for being too right wing. That and publicly supporting UKIP while sitting as a Conservative. Loyal to the core :)
    I usually avoid it, as he never has anything to say, that interests me.
    I just found it curious that he seemed to be saying that he can see the merit of further restrictions, as long as he was able to impose them on himself.
    Yet he would not be prepared to accept the same restrictions if the government put them in place.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I think that there is a very real danger, that because Boris is so weak, and afraid of upsetting his backbenchers, that he will delay, or avoid increasing restrictions, which will result in unnecessary deaths.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,773
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I think that there is a very real danger, that because Boris is so weak, and afraid of upsetting his backbenchers, that he will delay, or avoid increasing restrictions, which will result in unnecessary deaths.

100% this.

We desperately need temporary restrictions, a short sharp circuit break - NOW. But Boris has got himself in a corner, & has used up all his favours with the Conservatives, so I'm not sure he'll be brave enough. He'd rather save his job than protect the country by imposing the restrictions we desperately need.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

100% this.

We desperately need temporary restrictions, a short sharp circuit break - NOW. But Boris has got himself in a corner, & has used up all his favours with the Conservatives, so I'm not sure he'll be brave enough. He'd rather save his job than protect the country by imposing the restrictions we desperately need.
    Covid cases explode in London

London has been hit with 140,000 confirmed Covid cases in a week after they exploded by up to 500 per cent among young adults and also increased among pensioners, an Evening Standard analysis reveals.

Health chiefs are pleading with people who are yet to have any Covid innoculations to get their jabs and stress the majority of patients with coronavirus in the city’s hospitals are not fully vaccinated.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/covid-cases-explode-london-071601321.html
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

100% this.

• Options
    edited December 2021
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Instead of highlighting rule breaking, why not ask yourself why those that broke the rules thought it was safe to do so.
    You never know,you might find a big C.
  • Options
    chilling said:

Instead of highlighting rule breaking, why not ask yourself why those that broke the rules thought it was safe to do so.
    You never know,you might find a big C.

You dont understand it, as usual.
    Its more about hypocrisy than rules.
    It is important.
    Ask the electorate in North Shropshire.
  • Options
    'We need MORE data': Ex-Sage scientist and Cabinet demand proof before Omicron lockdown as Boris is OVERRULED by his own ministers on introducing restrictions before Christmas Day - but PM's experts say he must act NOW or gamble with NHS and lives

Boris Johnson declared there will be no more restrictions yet despite massive pressure from scientists and medics who warn the NHS is at risk of being overwhelmed by the Omicron strain. The intervention last night came after a long and 'fractious' Cabinet meeting, where ministers including Rishi Sunak demanded more ' evidence' on the Omicron variant before signing off on further measures. The premier told reporters afterwards that the decision was 'finely balanced' - with speculation that the government could still need to act with a 'circuit breaker' before New Year if new data due tomorrow shows the situation deteriorating quickly. However, it now looks too late to bring in any legal restrictions before December 25. Mr Sunak is finally expected to unveil support for businesses being hammered by the 'lockdown by stealth' later today, after bars and restaurants were left deserted following increasingly grim warnings from Chris Whitty and other experts. The PM has been boosted by Sir Jeremy Farrar, a former member of SAGE, backing the position of waiting for another day to see updated figures on hospitalisations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10331845/Boris-OVERRULED-Cabinet-Covid-curbs.html
  • Options
    Covid staffing crisis cripples UK: Major rail operators warn of 'short-notice cancellations' and fewer trains as millions return home for holidays while NHS faces 'very severe' shortage of medics over Christmas - amid calls to slash isolation to seven days

Covid-related staff shortages are continuing to grind the UK to a halt, with rail operators today warning of delays and cancellations. As millions of Britons prepare to travel home for the winter holidays, rail firms have announced a raft of cancellations and delays between now and Christmas Day. Long distance rail services are among those most impacted, while Transport for London warn said about 500 of its frontline staff were currently off work due to a Covid-related illness. It comes doctors have today warned of staffing issues in hospitals due to a huge uptick in Covid cases among medics.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10331733/Covid-Christmas-Staffing-crisis-major-rail-operators-warn-short-notice-cancellations.html
  • Options
    Dominic Cummings and Matt Hancock are revealed to be among government staff 'working in Downing Street garden during lockdown' when Boris and Carrie cheese and wine photo was taken - as hunt is launched for the 'snappy rat' who took it from Treasury window

The leaked photo (left) of the garden gathering showed the PM, Carrie and 17 other staff members in the garden in May 2020, with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard on a table in front of Mr Johnson. Those pictured apparently include ex-Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who had earlier that day urged Britons to follow rules and not meet more than one person outside, and Mr Johnson's former chief aide Dominic Cummings. It comes as it emerged the hunt is on for a Whitehall insider with an 'animus' against Boris Johnson suspected of leaking a picture of a get-together at No 10. Dominic Raab said it was clear that whoever made the photograph public wanted to 'damage the Government'. The image of the garden gathering with wine and cheese, taken during the first national lockdown, was apparently taken from a first floor veranda at the back of No 11 Downing Street, where the Chancellor's offices are. A No 10 source said that the office 'was used by Rishi Sunak's people, and anybody else going in would have been noticed.' But the Treasury angrily denied it was responsible, with a source saying: 'It was not anyone in the No 11 team. That room is accessible to anyone working in Downing Street.' Now the hunt is on for the so-called 'snappy rat'. The phrase is a play on the 'chatty rat' scandal, when someone leaked plans for a second national lockdown last year. (Pictured right, social media reactions to the photo leak)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10330595/Hunt-insider-leaked-picture-Boris-Johnson-Carrie-aides-cheese-wine.html
  • Options
    'Wine, CHEESE, face': Social media explodes with memes mocking PM for claiming No 10 staff pictured with wine and cheese in Downing Street garden during lockdown were 'working'
    Twitter users have mocked claims that staff pictured were 'working' in the Downing Street garden
    A photo shows Boris Johnson sitting next to Carrie and staff having wine and cheese on May 15, 2020
    Only two people could socialise outside while at least two metres apart under restrictions at the time
    Yesterday Dominic Raab insisted that the garden was a 'place of work' during the lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10331781/Social-media-mocks-PM-claiming-No10-staff-working-Downing-Street-garden.html
  • Options