You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The BBC

VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
Thoughts on their future?

Comments

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,486
    Oliver Dowden took them to task but backed off when they needed daily Boris to address the Nation ...... They mugged few O.A.P.s with the Licence Fee but think there's a growing rebellion amongst ordinary fee payer's not to pay ....... times they are a changing.

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    edited January 2022
    Why are you creating a thread about the future of the BBC?

This is a poker forum.
    Poker Chat is for Poker Chat. Poker Clinic is for Poker Problems.

"The Rail" takes you anywhere you want to go. Buy a Ticket start a Journey.

Choo Choohttps://youtu.be/oUDjkUJiwEA
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,030

Best TV value on earth, especially BBC World Service which is so very important to so many people.

Don't touch it, leave it as it is. For ever.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,998
    edited January 2022
    Tikay10 said:

Best TV value on earth, especially BBC World Service which is so very important to so many people.

Don't touch it, leave it as it is. For ever.

I agree that it is brilliant value.

But times change-not always for the better.

There have been many pressures placed on the BBC. Lots of people claiming it is biased. Have to say that I believe it is totally the opposite. All the other main sources play to their crowd. Their subscribers or the people who share their values. Whereas the BBC do their utmost to be both impartial and all-inclusive.

Do they always succeed? No. But the rest don't even try.

This Government is using 2 terrible lies to try and justify this. Firstly, the bit about the potential criminality in not paying the TV licence. Ignoring 2 important facts-(1), that it would be easy to revoke that bit and leave the BBC as it is. (2), ignoring the fact that next to no-one actually goes to prison for it. Unlike the Council Tax.

Then the bit about bias. Something every Government has moaned about-Labour, as well as Tory. Nadine Dorries. A woman who will be remembered for 3 things.

Going on "I'm a Celeb" while an MP
    Moaning about left-wing bias on social media because online platforms dared to challenge her right-wing views
    And killing the BBC.

Useless.

Could the TV Licence continue without reform? Sadly, no.

But the pathetic excuse for a Minister for Culture has just trashed 1 of our finest institutions.

Guess what? If we don't provide funding, lots of brilliant programmes don't get made.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473

This is a poker forum.

It’s fine
    It’s the rail
    edited January 2022
    The BBC will, in order to survive, both cut its output and start taking adverts.

Those adverts are likely to have a devastating impact on the revenue streams of commercial television.

It is always such a difficult balancing act as Culture Sceretary.

Personal dislike. And the future of Culture.

Barbarian.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    The Royal Charter & The Agreement

Interesting reading.
    https://www.bbc.com/aboutthebbc/governance/charter
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527

This is a poker forum.

Sorry for being like this, I randomly met some friends for a meal last night, and then necked too much wine, and I had this humongous stein of stout, and I'm not a drinker so ended up off me nut.

The BBC is a national treasure, and the alt news like to lambast them at any opportunity they can giving rise to this bbc conspiracy ****.

For some reason my Mrs does not watch any of the other 10, or maybe more, streaming services we have and always by default just shoves iplayer on, and it's been this way for years. I was talking to my mate last night and he said his mrs does the exact same!
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,030

This is a poker forum.

Sorry for being like this, I randomly met some friends for a meal last night, and then necked too much wine, and I had this humongous stein of stout, and I'm not a drinker so ended up off me nut.

The BBC is a national treasure, and the alt news like to lambast them at any opportunity they can giving rise to this bbc conspiracy ****.

For some reason my Mrs does not watch any of the other 10, or maybe more, streaming services we have and always by default just shoves iplayer on, and it's been this way for years. I was talking to my mate last night and he said his mrs does the exact same!
    That's not unusual, the BBC is seen as a national treasure by most people. The better anything - or anyone - is, the more they get attacked on Social Media. It's just how society is these days.

When the BBC is so frequently attacked by both the Left & the Right, we know they are doing a good job.

Impartiality & bias? Very very difficult to please everyone, but I'm utterly convinced that they TRY to be impartial & unbiased.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,942
    Essexphil said:

The BBC will, in order to survive, both cut its output and start taking adverts.

Those adverts are likely to have a devastating impact on the revenue streams of commercial television.

Barbarian.

You said in your previous post that the TV Licence could not continue without reform.

I would agree, and continuing as we are will just result in BBC funding falling annually.

I am not sure what type of reform you would find acceptable, but presumably some sort of subscription would be involved.

I quite like the BBC, and have appreciated many of the programmes that they have produced.

Although it is very difficult to justify the licence fee as a method of funding them.

They have been criticised many times over the years for much wastage, and extravagant staff salaries.

They also seem to have assumed responsibility for producing many programmes which are only popular amongst minorities, that are not viable from a commercial point of view.

So could this be an opportunity for the BBC?

I had a quick glance at the number of Netflix subscriptions.

They have risen from 8 million in 2014, to over 200 million last year.

I am not that keen on Netflix, and believe they dominate the market for sh1t actors.

If I had to choose between Netflix, or the BBC, I would take the BBC all day long.

So is there a real opportunity for the BBC to become a much larger organisation than they are today, and produce more of the excellent programmes for which they are famous, without mugging pensioners, or relying on the proceeds of the licence fee.
    Tikay10 said:

This is a poker forum.

That's not unusual, the BBC is seen as a national treasure by most people. The better anything - or anyone - is, the more they get attacked on Social Media. It's just how society is these days.

When the BBC is so frequently attacked by both the Left & the Right, we know they are doing a good job.

Impartiality & bias? Very very difficult to please everyone, but I'm utterly convinced that they TRY to be impartial & unbiased.
    To provide some context, I love reading this article. Her first major interview. With the BBC.

Always love it when someone likes to dish it out. But when anyone dishes it back, says that should be banned, or its due to left-wing bias, or just because she is a woman. and that anyone who disagrees with her needs banning.

Barbarian.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59305080
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    Susie Dent's word of the day

"Sarple"
    edited January 2022
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Barbarian.

You said in your previous post that the TV Licence could not continue without reform.

I would agree, and continuing as we are will just result in BBC funding falling annually.

I am not sure what type of reform you would find acceptable, but presumably some sort of subscription would be involved.

I quite like the BBC, and have appreciated many of the programmes that they have produced.

Although it is very difficult to justify the licence fee as a method of funding them.

They have been criticised many times over the years for much wastage, and extravagant staff salaries.

They also seem to have assumed responsibility for producing many programmes which are only popular amongst minorities, that are not viable from a commercial point of view.

I am not that keen on Netflix, and believe they dominate the market for sh1t actors.

If I had to choose between Netflix, or the BBC, I would take the BBC all day long.

So is there a real opportunity for the BBC to become a much larger organisation than they are today, and produce more of the excellent programmes for which they are famous, without mugging pensioners, or relying on the proceeds of the licence fee.
    I agree with some of that. But not all of it.

There needs to be evolution in the BBC. Times change. But not revolution.

Let me give some examples. Firstly, there was a time when the BBC was almost 100% funded by the TV Licence. So-as it grew-it was expected both to reduce certain expenses, and to increase external revenues.

An example of reducing expenditure? The cost of collecting the Licence has reduced dramatically. Processes were revolutionised, and a major drain on resources brought into line. We can all see BBC salaries at high levels-although, of course, not rival companies salaries.

An example of increasing external revenues. At the last count, the BBC now gets nearly 30% of its revenue externally, while remaining true to its charter.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8101/

I'm sure there is extravagance. Show me a £5 billion company without it. Particularly one that is designed to be non-profit.

The bit about "minority" programmes? That is the main advantage of a publicly-funded broadcaster. You put your big budget into the mainstream. And your small budget into the experimental, the minorities etc. That is what BBC2 was once for. And now more centred on BBC3/4. Because a publicly-funded Broadcaster does not have to have Both its eyes on profit. Or just today's viewing figures.

Evolution might be saying that the 70% of funding the BBC will reduce to 65% in 2027, 60% in 2029.

Not announcing that it is to be 0% at the next supposed review. While the BBC is hamstrung by its Charter in trying to forward plan to replace that 70% of its operating costs. That £3.5 Billion black hole.

Do you think the BBC can budget right now? Know what contracts it can and cannot give? Convince its stars not to walk away? Retain its writing teams? Bid for free-to-air sport?
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,222
    When I young my mum and dad never watched any other channel, we never watched STV (except when live football was on Ulster, Border or Anglia TV) it was always the BBC, nowadays I hardly watch it, it's still the best for news coverage but for anything else I use my Firestick, I would stop paying for the licence but my wife's a wee shytebag and she's scared of getting letters and people banging on the the door.
    Top stories
    Nadine Dorries says BBC licence fee will be scrapped
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Barbarian.

I agree with some of that. But not all of it.

There needs to be evolution in the BBC. Times change. But not revolution.

Let me give some examples. Firstly, there was a time when the BBC was almost 100% funded by the TV Licence. So-as it grew-it was expected both to reduce certain expenses, and to increase external revenues.

An example of reducing expenditure? The cost of collecting the Licence has reduced dramatically. Processes were revolutionised, and a major drain on resources brought into line. We can all see BBC salaries at high levels-although, of course, not rival companies salaries.

An example of increasing external revenues. At the last count, the BBC now gets nearly 30% of its revenue externally, while remaining true to its charter.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8101/

I'm sure there is extravagance. Show me a £5 billion company without it. Particularly one that is designed to be non-profit.

The bit about "minority" programmes? That is the main advantage of a publicly-funded broadcaster. You put your big budget into the mainstream. And your small budget into the experimental, the minorities etc. That is what BBC2 was once for. And now more centred on BBC3/4. Because a publicly-funded Broadcaster does not have to have Both its eyes on profit. Or just today's viewing figures.

Evolution might be saying that the 70% of funding the BBC will reduce to 65% in 2027, 60% in 2029.

Not announcing that it is to be 0% at the next supposed review. While the BBC is hamstrung by its Charter in trying to forward plan to replace that 70% of its operating costs. That £3.5 Billion black hole.

Do you think the BBC can budget right now? Know what contracts it can and cannot give? Convince its stars not to walk away? Retain its writing teams? Bid for free-to-air sport?
    I only brought up the minority programmes, because a commercial broadcaster wouldnt produce them.
    Nobody cares about ITV salaries, because the general public dont think that they are paying them.
    Nadine Dorries doesnt seem to have a clue.
    Less funding will mean cuts in services.
    Forcing them to absorb inflation will mean more cuts.
    She is suddenly pretending to care about pensioners, after stopping free licences for the over 75s.
    goldon said:

Top stories
    Nadine Dorries says BBC licence fee will be scrapped

It is probably better to come up with a plan B, before scrapping plan A.
    The Wiki Glossary on B.B.C. no mention of jimmy sav = (not strange) off to the Scrappy beeb beeb