You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The BBC

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,018
    I agree with almost all of that. However, just want to add to 1 part of it.

Firstly, I should mention that I once worked for a Company that was tasked with carrying out certain functions in relation to the TV Licence. I was in no way involved with the team that carried that out. But it did cause me, in a purely personal capacity, to look quite closely at some of this. So:-

1. "Decriminalising the TV Licence".

It goes deeper than that. The decriminalising bit is theoretically important. But not in practice. Whereas a byproduct of this is far more important.

There are 2 types of debt in the UK for people. "Priority" debts. And "Non-Priority" debts.
    The distinction is very important. Because any money a debtor has must go 100% to Priority Debts before 1 penny goes to Non-Priority debts.

Common priority debts? Court fines, Council Tax, TV Licence, child maintenance, gas/electric bills, income tax/NI/VAT, Mortgages, money owed to DWP

Common non-priority debts? Overdrafts, personal/bank loans, money owed to family, credit/store cards, water bills

Would we not be in a fairer world if (for example) TV Licence and Water swapped places?

2. The argument that evasion would increase if TV Licence downgraded

To an extent, of course this is true. But the reason for increase of evasion involves other things as well. So-for example-20 years ago, the only thing used for a TV Licence was a TV. Something that TV detector vans could easily monitor. And every electrical retailer had to notify certain authorities whenever they sold a TV, and the address of the purchaser.

Now? Think it fair to say it is rather harder to catch evaders.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,524

Actually, I'd be fine if they just did News, Documentaries & Nature stuff. can't recall ever watching so-called "Light Entertainment" on BBC since the days of Morecombe & Wise.

Now it's Graham Norton, Eastenders, Strictly & the like. No thanks.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,163
    Tikay10 said:

Actually, I'd be fine if they just did News, Documentaries & Nature stuff. can't recall ever watching so-called "Light Entertainment" on BBC since the days of Morecombe & Wise.

If the plan is to continue with the tv licence, but provide less funding for the BBC, nobody wins.
    The BBC will be damaged, and nobody will be any better off.
    Madness.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,018
    Tikay10 said:

The beauty of television in general, and the BBC in particular, is that it is so many things to so many people.

For you, it is 1 thing. For others, it is the things you mention that you choose not to watch.

Or Drama. Or local news. Or national radio stations. Or local radio stations. Or all of those things. For people who want to hear both sides of a Debate. Or, for some, their only constant companion in an otherwise bleak existence.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    for some, their only constant companion in an otherwise bleak existence.

Rich people , Rich O.A.P.s no problem everyone pay's the same fee. That's Fair.
    ABBA all together.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

few things firstly there are several reasons I would not want to support the BBC in anyway.
    1. Jimmy Savile whilst a lot more people then just the BBC could be argued to be culpable for this the fact is a lot of people at the BBC had reason to intervene and did not and people who spoke up risked their jobs. This alone in and of itself should be reason enough for one to not want to support the BBC with a licence fee.

2. Anti sematic agenda if we look at the numerous times the BBC have reported on either Israel or Jews in any capacity, it becomes very hard to try and argue that they do not have an anti sematic agenda.

3. Racism the BBC have on numerous occasions had racist hiring policies and racist HR policies.

I think that an organisation with all these failings should not be getting government support in the form of the public forced to pay a licence fee if they want to watch media much of which has nothing to do with the BBC. If the BBC want to charge subscription fees as a private business and individuals want to pay for that service that is another matter entirely.

Which people had reason to intervene?
    Which people were afraid of losing their jobs?
    Is reporting on Israel and Jews proof of an anti sematic agenda?
    Dont they have an obligation to report on news throughout the world, including Israel?
    Explain the racist hiring policies?
    Are the racist hiring policies the same thing as the racist HR policies or not?
    It is called a tv licence, rather than a BBC licence?

?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Disclaimer; rant alert.

Not a Fan or a Believer as you can tell. Free View should be Free all TV Free it's a service.
    Couple it with Internet packages let those that wish to buy pay for it.
    Like Students have to pay back they should also pay back from assets they sell bought with licence fee money. Whats good for the Goose.
    They run independently (not) a Government mouth piece or so they say, propped up by the licence fee which they reneged on but still the Government allow them to retain it.

The past discredited them still a Leopard leaping into the future. Public money always gets snouts in the trough.
    ... put a stop now. fwiw

I am glad we have an expert.
    So is the plan to phase out the tv licence?
    Or do they plan to continue with the licence fee, and keep the money, rather than giving it to the BBC?
    Will they continue with the licence fee, give less of the proceeds to the BBC, and keep the balance?
    What seems certain is that they will give less money to the BBC.
    This will mean cuts to the service.
    What do you think they should cut?

It is patently unfair that we all pay the same licence fee, whether we watch BBC or not.
    Although any alternative method of funding would mean less revenue for the BBC.

Are they a private company?

Do they have shareholders?
    ?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Me BLOOD BOILS ......... don't start me off ... Get AUNTIE ... not Carter

example-20 years ago, the only thing used for a TV Licence was a TV. Something that TV detector vans could easily monitor. And every electrical retailer had to notify certain authorities whenever they sold a TV, and the address of the purchaser.

Remember the British Licence Fee Gestapo knocking on doors TV adds " We know where you live " you will be prosecuted and could go to prison. Queues at the Local Court House rubber stamped conviction more fines. Pathetic ! No MP had the ba lls to condemn the harassment and bulling the bbc inflicted on the less well off who couldn't afford to pay. Watch Telly or Eat Watch Telly or freeze Watch Telly or clothes for the kids. So the B.B.C. made money from selling Programmes made with our money but still wanted more money. Cash Cow obliges. Like worn out corrupt PM they should Go.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    goldon said:

Me BLOOD BOILS ......... don't start me off ... Get AUNTIE ... not Carter

example-20 years ago, the only thing used for a TV Licence was a TV. Something that TV detector vans could easily monitor. And every electrical retailer had to notify certain authorities whenever they sold a TV, and the address of the purchaser.

Remember the British Licence Fee Gestapo knocking on doors TV adds " We know where you live " you will be prosecuted and could go to prison. Queues at the Local Court House rubber stamped conviction more fines. Pathetic ! No MP had the ba lls to condemn the harassment and bulling the bbc inflicted on the less well off who couldn't afford to pay. Watch Telly or Eat Watch Telly or freeze Watch Telly or clothes for the kids. So the B.B.C. made money from selling Programmes made with our money but still wanted more money. Cash Cow obliges. Like worn out corrupt PM they should Go.

So in 24 hours you've gone from complaining that they squander money to complaining that they make money - which helps reduce costs.

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

goldon said:

The Beeb had great programmes very good presenters like David Attenborough and others but the Bad Dark side they tried to cover up outweighs all of that. They let these people down and now lost Public support time for accountability. The audacity to expecting the O.A.P.s on pensions to bail them out plus increasing the charge while they squandered the previous funds on Clarkson jollies around the World. Don't start me off I don't do serious.

Clarkson never cost them a penny - they earned huge revenues from selling the Top Gear series & shows right across the world. No BBC Show or series ever earned them as much profit.

Multiple sources available, here's one from The Guardian in 2015;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/top-gear-bbc-jeremy-clarkson
    You told me .... remember ..... I will make allowances because of your hair colour. cough!
  • Options
    You cherry pick like Orchard Farmer & Dr Chill not giving full information.

. So the B.B.C. made money from selling Programmes made with our money but still wanted more money. Cash Cow obliges. Like worn out corrupt PM they should Go.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    goldon said:

. So the B.B.C. made money from selling Programmes made with our money but still wanted more money. Cash Cow obliges. Like worn out corrupt PM they should Go.

Just verified facts, backed up by a credible source & a link. So I'm not sure where the similarity you are suggesting is.
  • Options
    You cropped my sentence leaving out most important part, is that ( not ) what Dr Chill is accused of doing in his posts. Only a skirmish not looking for a WAR.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    goldon said:

You cropped my sentence leaving out most important part, is that ( not ) what Dr Chill is accused of doing in his posts. Only a skirmish not looking for a WAR.

Read it again. Nothing was omitted. So no, it's not what anyone was accused of.

I suggest we get back to the debate now please.

• Options
    War on Words ...... you say omitted I say cropped. lets call the hole thing off. Hic!
  • Options
    goldon said:

War on Words ...... you say omitted I say cropped. lets call the hole thing off. Hic!

past tense: omitted; past participle: omitted
    leave out or exclude (someone or something), either intentionally or forgetfully.

adjective; cropped

cut very short.

So I'll ask you - politely - one more time. Let's get back to the debate please.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Let me just get this straight.
    The BBC use our money to make programmes that we are able to watch free of charge.
    That seems only right because it was our money in the first place.
    You are against the BBC selling these programmes throughout the world, to create more revenue that enables them to make more programmes that we are able to watch free of charge.
    So you want less for your licence fee, rather than more?
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Anyone who thinks the Tory party are thinking of the poor when making statements about getting rid of the license fee are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The most corrupt inept political ‘party’ in my lifetime.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    edited January 2022
    tomgoodun said:

Anyone who thinks the Tory party are thinking of the poor when making statements about getting rid of the license fee are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Options
    tomgoodun said:

Are they going to get rid of the licence fee, or do they just want to give less money to the BBC?