You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The BBC

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,017
    You do not pay for a TV licence in order to watch the BBC.

The payment is for

1. Watching or recording any TV programme, on any channel; or
    2. Watching or streaming any online TV service (from ITV Hub to Amazon Prime); or
    3. Downloading/watching any BBC programme on the BBC iPlayer

So-TV Licence has little to do with watching the BBC-it is watching pretty much anything
    It is just that the money collected mostly goes to the BBC
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    Essexphil said:

The payment is for

2. Watching or streaming any online TV service (from ITV Hub to Amazon Prime); or

So-TV Licence has little to do with watching the BBC-it is watching pretty much anything

Does that mean we should have paid a license fee for about 20 years :p
    The only time i watch the bbc is if there is something i want to watch and since we got relegated from the prem it's pretty much never
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,159
    Essexphil said:

The payment is for

It seems to be applicable to watching or recording live tv.
    So if you only watched the on demand, or catch up, could you get away with it?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    Disclaimer; rant alert.

Not a Fan or a Believer as you can tell. Free View should be Free all TV Free it's a service.
    Couple it with Internet packages let those that wish to buy pay for it.
    Like Students have to pay back they should also pay back from assets they sell bought with licence fee money. Whats good for the Goose.
    They run independently (not) a Government mouth piece or so they say, propped up by the licence fee which they reneged on but still the Government allow them to retain it.

The past discredited them still a Leopard leaping into the future. Public money always gets snouts in the trough.
    ... put a stop now. fwiw
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The payment is for

No.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    goldon said:

Disclaimer; rant alert.

Not a Fan or a Believer as you can tell. Free View should be Free all TV Free it's a service.
    Like Students have to pay back they should also pay back from assets they sell bought with licence fee money. Whats good for the Goose.
    They run independently (not) a Government mouth piece or so they say, propped up by the licence fee which they reneged on but still the Government allow them to retain it.

The past discredited them still a Leopard leaping into the future. Public money always gets snouts in the trough.
    ... put a stop now. fwiw

I understood the bit about you are not a fan.

I think I understood the bit about TV should be free. Life's not like that. Couple it with internet packages? You think prices won't go up? Really? Care to look at increases in TV Licence and Internet packages?

The rest? Not a clue.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Disclaimer; rant alert.

... put a stop now. fwiw

I am glad we have an expert.
    So is the plan to phase out the tv licence?
    Or do they plan to continue with the licence fee, and keep the money, rather than giving it to the BBC?
    Will they continue with the licence fee, give less of the proceeds to the BBC, and keep the balance?
    What seems certain is that they will give less money to the BBC.
    This will mean cuts to the service.
    What do you think they should cut?

It is patently unfair that we all pay the same licence fee, whether we watch BBC or not.
    Although any alternative method of funding would mean less revenue for the BBC.

Are they a private company?

Do they have shareholders?
  • Options
    Bad Apples never get better maybe Dr Chill has a cure......
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,039
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The payment is for

@HAYSIE This is from the T.V. Licencing website, it basically means that you can't watch/record any 'live as broadcast' programmes on any channel. If you genuinely do not watch/record any 'live' programmes,use any BBC services and only use on demand services then you do not need a licence.

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,610
    few things firstly there are several reasons I would not want to support the BBC in anyway.
    1. Jimmy Savile whilst a lot more people then just the BBC could be argued to be culpable for this the fact is a lot of people at the BBC had reason to intervene and did not and people who spoke up risked their jobs. This alone in and of itself should be reason enough for one to not want to support the BBC with a licence fee.

2. Anti sematic agenda if we look at the numerous times the BBC have reported on either Israel or Jews in any capacity, it becomes very hard to try and argue that they do not have an anti sematic agenda.

3. Racism the BBC have on numerous occasions had racist hiring policies and racist HR policies.

I think that an organisation with all these failings should not be getting government support in the form of the public forced to pay a licence fee if they want to watch media much of which has nothing to do with the BBC. If the BBC want to charge subscription fees as a private business and individuals want to pay for that service that is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The payment is for

@HAYSIE This is from the T.V. Licencing website, it basically means that you can't watch/record any 'live as broadcast' programmes on any channel. If you genuinely do not watch/record any 'live' programmes,use any BBC services and only use on demand services then you do not need a licence.

Ok cheers.
    I dont really mind paying for it anyway.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

few things firstly there are several reasons I would not want to support the BBC in anyway.
    1. Jimmy Savile whilst a lot more people then just the BBC could be argued to be culpable for this the fact is a lot of people at the BBC had reason to intervene and did not and people who spoke up risked their jobs. This alone in and of itself should be reason enough for one to not want to support the BBC with a licence fee.

2. Anti sematic agenda if we look at the numerous times the BBC have reported on either Israel or Jews in any capacity, it becomes very hard to try and argue that they do not have an anti sematic agenda.

3. Racism the BBC have on numerous occasions had racist hiring policies and racist HR policies.

I think that an organisation with all these failings should not be getting government support in the form of the public forced to pay a licence fee if they want to watch media much of which has nothing to do with the BBC. If the BBC want to charge subscription fees as a private business and individuals want to pay for that service that is another matter entirely.

Which people had reason to intervene?
    Which people were afraid of losing their jobs?
    Is reporting on Israel and Jews proof of an anti sematic agenda?
    Dont they have an obligation to report on news throughout the world, including Israel?
    Explain the racist hiring policies?
    Are the racist hiring policies the same thing as the racist HR policies or not?
    It is called a tv licence, rather than a BBC licence?

• Options
    goldon said:

Bad Apples never get better maybe Dr Chill has a cure......

I am glad we have an expert.
    So is the plan to phase out the tv licence?
    Or do they plan to continue with the licence fee, and keep the money, rather than giving it to the BBC?
    Will they continue with the licence fee, give less of the proceeds to the BBC, and keep the balance?
    What seems certain is that they will give less money to the BBC.
    This will mean cuts to the service.
    What do you think they should cut?

It is patently unfair that we all pay the same licence fee, whether we watch BBC or not.
    Although any alternative method of funding would mean less revenue for the BBC.

Are they a private company?

Do they have shareholders?
  • Options
    The Beeb had great programmes very good presenters like David Attenborough and others but the Bad Dark side they tried to cover up outweighs all of that. They let these people down and now lost Public support time for accountability. The audacity to expecting the O.A.P.s on pensions to bail them out plus increasing the charge while they squandered the previous funds on Clarkson jollies around the World. Don't start me off I don't do serious.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,522
    edited January 2022
    goldon said:

The Beeb had great programmes very good presenters like David Attenborough and others but the Bad Dark side they tried to cover up outweighs all of that. They let these people down and now lost Public support time for accountability. The audacity to expecting the O.A.P.s on pensions to bail them out plus increasing the charge while they squandered the previous funds on Clarkson jollies around the World. Don't start me off I don't do serious.

Clarkson never cost them a penny - they earned huge revenues from selling the Top Gear series & shows right across the world. No BBC Show or series ever earned them as much profit.

Multiple sources available, here's one from The Guardian in 2015;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/11/top-gear-bbc-jeremy-clarkson
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Julia Hartley-Brewer’s complaint about the BBC has become an instant meme

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    I pay the BBC licence fee and these are the only services I ever use. Good value for money...?🤷🏻‍♀️

Chris Addison💙
    @mrchrisaddison
    I pay road tax. I use the following roads: M25, M40, M6, A21, Shortlands Rd, Westmoreland Rd, The bit that joins Shortlands Road and Westmoreland Road. Good value for money?

Izzy Mant 💙
    @Izzymant
    I pay for the NHS yet I don't have most of these diseases. Value for money? 🤷

Flag of Bangladesh Michael Flag of England Pakintyre Flag of Pakistan
    @eshaanakbar
    I pay £30 a month for life insurance that pays out in the event of my death but I’m still not dead. Good value for money?

Ben Pope
    @BenWPope
    I pay the monthly Netflix subscription fee and this is the only service I ever use. Good value for money…? 🤷‍♀️

Jake Lambert
    @LittleLostLad
    I pay road tax and these are the only roads I ever use. Good value for money...?🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/julia-hartley-brewer-s-complaint-about-the-bbc-has-become-an-instant-meme/ar-AASToMw?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    goldon said:

The Government stopped the free licences for the over 75s.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Even for those over 75 who have to pay, it's stunning value.

We need to remove emotion from the equation & look at it logically.

At current OAP rates for a married couple, and a £159 TV Licence, paying that £159 represents ~ 1% of their annual OAP Pension. What % of their time do we think a 75 year old married couple spend watching tv? Well we can only guess - but it's certainly a lot more than ~1%. (Maybe, allowing for sleep etc, 50%?). Hard to imagine better value than that, even if they only spend 10% or 20% of their TV time watching BBC output.

It's exceptional value by any standards. The problem of course is the "poor old OAP" agenda & emotion.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Even for those over 75 who have to pay, it's stunning value. eives from
    We need to remove emotion from the equation & look at it logically.

At current OAP rates for a married couple, and a £159 TV Licence, paying that £159 represents ~ 1% of their annual OAP Pension. What % of their time do we think a 75 year old married couple spend watching tv? Well we can only guess - but it's certainly a lot more than ~1%. (Maybe, allowing for sleep etc, 50%?). Hard to imagine better value than that, even if they only spend 10% or 20% of their TV time watching BBC output.

It's exceptional value by any standards. The problem of course is the "poor old OAP" agenda & emotion.
    It is difficult to debate this without knowing what the plan might be.

Two things seem clear.
    Non payment of the licence fee will be decriminalised.
    This will mean an immediate drop in revenue for the BBC.
    The intention is to reduce rather than increase the revenue that the BBC receives from the licence fee proceeds.
    They want to give them less money, not more.

If the plan was to do away with tv licences, those of us that like the BBC could pay a similar fee as a subscription to access the BBC.
    Although this would obviously mean less revenue for them, and satisfy BBC knockers as they would save the licence fee.
    Expecting people to pay the licence fee, in addition to a subscription to the BBC to make up any shortfall in licence fee revenue may not succeed.

What if the plan is to continue with the licence fee, and just reduce the BBC revenue.
    This would mean cuts to the BBC,
    This would upset fans of the BBC, and make the knockers no better off.
    In fact it would make us all worse off, as whether you like the BBC or not, there would be less of it.

If the plan is to continue with the licences, it takes what you think of the BBC out of the argument.
    Governments seem to like taking money off us, and are dead against giving it back, once they have got it.
    Which makes doing away with the licences less likely.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    When I look back over my life, I can't imagine not having the BBC, it's such a treasure, even allowing for it's occasional mistakes. When a crisis occurs, or a major news story breaks, it's always the BBC I turn to. I used to spend a lot of time driving, especially at night & early mornings, & the World Service was my constant companion.

I do rather wish they would not try to compete with commercial TV by doing dumbed-down entertainment stuff - Strictly & the like - but I understand they have to (try to) cater for all tastes.

We are not a very tolerant society, are we? The better off we have become - & we have, immeasurably so - the less tolerant we seem to be.

Laura Kuunsberg has been accused of Tory bias, Labour bias, & centrist bias.

YCPSOTPSOTTBNAOTPAOTT, as the snappy cliche goes.I do find it odd how so many seem to resent the BBC. Try listening to the wireless in the USA & you'll realise how wonderful the Beeb is.

I'm approaching my final chapter so I am not too fussed about what happens beyond 2027, but I hope they leave it just as it is.