You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,096
    edited April 28
  • Options

Arsenal and Tottenham are said to be two of the teams thinking of backing the new proposed financial rules that Premier League clubs will discuss today.

The new reported rule would see a salary cap introduced on an 'anchoring' system. It would cap the amount of money that clubs are able to spend on transfer fees, wages, and agent fees to a multiple of the TV revenue earned by the bottom club.

It is reported that the proposed figure is five times what the bottom club earns. If passed, it could be introduced for the start of the 2025/26 season.

The proposed rules would make the league more competitive, which could lead to some of the top six clubs voting against it, especially as those in UEFA competition would also have to abide by UEFA’s spending rules.

However, BBC Sport’s Dan Roan has claimed that Arsenal and Tottenham, along with Liverpool, are among the top six clubs ‘in favour’ of backing the proposal due to worries that clubs such as Manchester City could become too dominant.

"Club investment in their squads would be limited to a multiple of the lowest club's broadcast revenue,” he said on BBC Radio 4. “So if the multiple was five times, as proposed, and the bottom club earned £100 million, clubs could only spend £500 million on wages and fees.

"Some of the richest clubs, such as Manchester United, are thought to be opposed to the plan, on the basis that it could mean some top players have to be sold.

"But with the majority of sides, including Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham, it is understood they are thought to be in favour of anchoring amid fears that Middle Eastern-owned clubs, such as Manchester City, could become too dominant.

https://www.football.london/premier-league/arsenal-tottenham-liverpool-in-favour-29078579
  • Options
    There's nothing like a bit of premature expectation...

Ange Postecoglou wins Manager of the Year at London Football Awards, Vicario wins GK of the Year.

https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2024/2/29/24086993/tottenham-hotspur-news-london-football-awards-ange-postecoglou-guglielmo-vicario

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,427
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,244
    HAYSIE said:

That's about right. Leeds fans have always been away with the fairies.
  • Options
    edited May 6
    West Ham have agreed a deal in principle with Julen Lopetegui to take over from David Moyes as manager.

Lopetegui has been out of work since leaving Wolves three days before the start of the 2023/24 season but has continued to live in England in a bid to return to Premier League management.

The 57-year-old, who has also managed Porto, Spain, Real Madrid and Sevilla throughout an illustrious coaching career, looks set to take charge at the London Stadium at the end of the season after Moyes' expected departure.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/13130486/julen-lopetegui-west-ham-agree-deal-with-former-wolves-boss-if-david-moyes-leaves-club
  • Options
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,079
    The theory is easy.

I want what is best for Spurs far more than what is worst for Arsenal. Banter is all very well-but I support my club. Not hate on another one.

The practice is rather different. Barring a surprising set of results, Spurs are going to finish 5th. And, unless we beat City, definitely not 4th. 3 or 4 games ago this looked like an interesting question-but Spurs' late collapse has spoilt that.

In some ways, that is a shame. A club with the Budget and players Arsenal have had (and do have) should not have gone 20 years without winning the League. And 30 years since any European trophy. Always suspected that Arsenal make fun of Spurs to hide their own Spursiness.

Objectively, Arsenal are closer to winning the title than at any time in the last 20 years. And the improvements to make that leap look very doable.

For me, Arsenal are just 2 players away this season from being a top, top side. A Left Back. A 3rd Midfielder alongside Rice/Odegaard. A better Number 9 and a better GK/RB might also help, but I genuinely think you could win the League with just those 2 extras.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,671
    Essexphil said:

The theory is easy.

I want what is best for Spurs far more than what is worst for Arsenal. Banter is all very well-but I support my club. Not hate on another one.

The practice is rather different. Barring a surprising set of results, Spurs are going to finish 5th. And, unless we beat City, definitely not 4th. 3 or 4 games ago this looked like an interesting question-but Spurs' late collapse has spoilt that.

In some ways, that is a shame. A club with the Budget and players Arsenal have had (and do have) should not have gone 20 years without winning the League. And 30 years since any European trophy. Always suspected that Arsenal make fun of Spurs to hide their own Spursiness.

Objectively, Arsenal are closer to winning the title than at any time in the last 20 years. And the improvements to make that leap look very doable.

For me, Arsenal are just 2 players away this season from being a top, top side. A Left Back. A 3rd Midfielder alongside Rice/Odegaard. A better Number 9 and a better GK/RB might also help, but I genuinely think you could win the League with just those 2 extras.

spurs will never win anything and we all know why

width=
  • Options
    ToffeeandyToffeeandy Member Posts: 910

lucy4 said:

I'm not a City fan but after that injury to their keeper how long can the stupid rule of letting the game go on until the outcome of the move continues ?

That could be a season ending injury which could've been avoided if the lino had put the flag up earlier, I know the lino is only obeying the rules and it's not their fault, so it's down to the rule makers to make the change.

Don't agree, most of these "obvious" offsides are borderline at best and this rule is to prevent goals wrongly being disallowed for offside; injuries can happen at any time in football and are part of the game.
    Just revisiting this comment after that "obvious" offside was just flagged in the CL semi-final....
  • Options
    JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 234
    What a game of football that was last night. Think Real just edged it over the 2 legs, they just own that competition!

Should be an entertaining final as well, Dortmund are pretty easy on the eye and are leaky at the back
  • Options
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,244
    JammyFker said:

What a game of football that was last night. Think Real just edged it over the 2 legs, they just own that competition!

Should be an entertaining final as well, Dortmund are pretty easy on the eye and are leaky at the back

Great game with 2 Stoke rejects involved. We really thought that Benick Afoebe was a better bet than Joselu.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,097
    JammyFker said:

@JammyFker

Yes, it was a Real thriller & I agree, I think they just about deserved it. The other Semi Final, the previous night, was a wonderful spectacle too. Two great games in 24 hours.

The only fly in the ointment for me is in an age where Climate Change should be at the top of everyone's agenda, here we have two teams & probably around 60,000 (SIXTY THOUSAND) fans travelling all the way from Germany to England for a game of football.

Every single way you look at that, it's bad, & it's wrong. Cost, carbon footprint, common-sense etc.

We have a similar thing here in England. Two northern clubs make the FA Cup Final, & so two sets of fans all trek down to Wembley in London in cars, by train, 'plane, all sorts. The cost - in every sense - is ridiculous.

We need to do better before it's too late.

And if football is bad, just imagine the carbon footprint of F1 racing...
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,648
    39 years today and i remember it like it was yesterday , horrific
    RIP to the 56
    https://youtu.be/iDpM3ItXGkg
  • Options
    stokefc said:

39 years today and i remember it like it was yesterday , horrific
    RIP to the 56
    https://youtu.be/iDpM3ItXGkg

It never seems to get enough coverage/remembrance each year.