You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,160

@stokefc

My main memory of the ghastly horror was just how quickly the entire stand became totally engulfed in flames.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,453
    I remember it being broadcast live on the BBC. We watched in that fascinated awe that disasters seem to provoke, unaware that 56 people were dying horrifically behind the wall of smoke and flames with another 250 plus injured

The image of a policeman running down the side of the pitch with smoke and flames coming from his head will stay with me forever.

R.I.P.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,817
    The winnis are out in force for this one, its not just winni but winnis of all different shapes and sizes coming from near and far in their masses to route for West Brom in the playoffs. (because their playing southampton and dont want them promoted as I boo them)

width=
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,310
  • Options
    Wow, that surprises me. Never had a problem at Norwich, always found them decent types.
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,160

Ha, very good.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,367
    Altogether now Gooners, you can finally say what you have always secretly wanted to say:-

Come On You Spurs :)
  • Options
    edited May 14
    Arsenal fans in hotel fireworks fail as plan to disrupt Man City falls flat.

A group of Gunners fans, dubbed the ‘Ashburton Army’, tried to get one over on the reigning champions.

Arsenal supporters failed in their attempts to disrupt Manchester City’s preparations for their showdown with Tottenham.

Videos posted on social media show Gunners fans setting off fireworks outside a hotel they thought the City squad were staying in ahead of Tuesday’s game at Spurs.

But it is understood the City players stayed in Manchester on Monday night and were travelling down to London on Tuesday morning.

That had always been the club’s plan and, as a result, Arsenal fans’ attempts to disrupt City players’ sleep failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDHZM3LIqmk
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Altogether now Gooners, you can finally say what you have always secretly wanted to say:-

Come On You Spurs :)

• Options
    edited May 15
    It always amuses me when commonly-stated "facts" get totally distorted over time.

Like most football fans, I support 1 club. My club. And that is the way it should be. Doesn't matter which club.

But I get rather annoyed when people bandy the word "spurs-y" about. In the wrong sense.

The word was first coined by Spurs fans. Describing the fact that we have classy players who are good on the eye. But a soft underbelly. Unable to cope with being kicked up in the air on a cold February night in Stoke

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39163608/the-history-spursy-how-ange-postecoglous-tottenham-hotspur-shed-tag

Now, we have to cope with Arsenal fans misusing the term. Crowing that we grab defeat from the jaws of victory. Which is simply not true. Sad fact is that we have normally not been good enough to get close enough to the jaws of victory.

Imagine if, since we last won the Premier League 20 years ago, we had finished Top 4 14 times without winning the League.

Imagine if we had reached the Last 16 of the Champions League 17 times, and the Last 8 8 times. Without ever winning it.

Spurs Fans don't think that is "Spurs-y". Whereas Arsenal fans believe managing to come up just short do.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,696
    I wouldn't worry about it Phil, at least Spurs are there or there abouts each year something 95% of clubs can only dream about , I wish we were Spursy :)
  • Options
    edited May 15
    My take on last nights game is the manager and players done their job, ok it wasn't the result Arsenal wanted hey ho that's how it goes. If I was a Spurs fan I'd be more disappointed with certain sections of fans happy to lose a game when they could still qualify for CL. To want a rival club to fail more than you want your own team to win seems strange to me.

This fan was constantly shouting at AP to throw the game and in the end AP confronted him, which I can fully understand and I agree with AP's comments both before and after the game, I like his attitude towards how he plays the game and conducts himself, there are many clubs who would love to have him manage their club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vG9sZ_G39k

• Options
    Jamie Ha-Ha is an embarrassment to football fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJe5s6g39Lo
  • Options
    edited May 15
    Some entirely sensible comments-as usual-from @stokefc and @lucy4

It's in the nature of pretty much all fans to believe things could be so different with more money.

I'm sure Stafford Rangers wish they had Port Vale's resources. Port Vale wish they had Stoke's. Tottenham wish they had Arsenal's. Chelsea and Man City wish theirs was legitimate :)

I think the thing that particularly cost Arsenal (as well as us not being good enough) was Liverpool dropping that late point v Villa. Because suddenly a Draw was of no use at all to us.

That 1 fan? Wouldn't worry me if he got banned. The Arsenal chants generally? Part of the Game-and so much easier to pretend we are happy and are glad, as opposed to facing up to our own shortcomings ;)

Jamie O'Hara. There's a man who should be able to unite North London. Let go by Arsenal-because he wasn't good enough. Then let go by Spurs-because he wasn't good enough.

And regularly annoys me with the stupid stuff he comes out with-because as a pundit he is not good enough

PS. Ian Wright. There is an example to all. Yes, he comes out with the pro-Arsenal anti-Spurs stuff on occasion. Generally does it with good humour. Coupled with great knowledge of, and love for, the game.

I wish him a happy retirement. Class man. Class act.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
  • Options
    I think that Spurs were in a no win situation last night. To throw the kitchen sink at City would have probably resulted in a right hammering as they'd have just got picked apart. Also I don't think a Pulis style approach would have faired any better.

What did annoy me was the attitude of some Spurs fans who seemed happy to lose because it affected Arsenal. We get it sometimes at stoke, when things are going bad for us and some fans are happy because it's all going wrong at the Vale.

I support 2 teams. Stoke City and anybody playing Man Utd.

• Options

I think that Spurs were in a no win situation last night. To throw the kitchen sink at City would have probably resulted in a right hammering as they'd have just got picked apart. Also I don't think a Pulis style approach would have faired any better.

What did annoy me was the attitude of some Spurs fans who seemed happy to lose because it affected Arsenal. We get it sometimes at stoke, when things are going bad for us and some fans are happy because it's all going wrong at the Vale.

I support 2 teams. Stoke City and anybody playing Man Utd.

We have had lots of good results against Man City in recent years. At some point we are going to get hammered by them. I genuinely believed that we could beat them-and that we could get beat 0-7

You reminded me of one of my earliest memories-a row between my Parents:-

Mum. "The trouble with you is sometimes you love Spurs more than you love me"

Dad. "Sometimes I love f...ing Arsenal more than I love you"

Bless her. My Mum hated football. And worked for Arsenal for a few years.

I'm like most Spurs fans. Winning comes first. But, if we can't, we'll take the booby prize of Arsenal not winning ;)

• Options
    Don't know which is the funnier line. Your Dad's response or you saying that your Mum hated football and worked for Arsenal.

Reminds me of the time my Doctor advised me to avoid stress and excitement and then gave me a season card to Port vale.
  • Options

Don't know which is the funnier line. Your Dad's response or you saying that your Mum hated football and worked for Arsenal.

Reminds me of the time my Doctor advised me to avoid stress and excitement and then gave me a season card to Port vale.

Here's my favourite line from my Mum's hatred of football.

1 of the then-Directors of Arsenal owned what was then the best Luxury Coach in the UK. And it was regularly hired out by other football clubs.

Picture the scene. 1975 FA Cup Semi-Final Replay at Stamford Bridge. West Ham hired the Coach. Big Reception after the Game.

My Mum grabs hold of someone who she described as a "long haired yob", and tries to eject him from the Venue, accusing him of being a gatecrasher. Ignoring this poor guy's protestations that he was Alan Taylor, and he had just scored both West Ham's goals

I so wish I had been there :)