You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Anyone for quads... how bout 3 in one HU game...

Comments

• TheWaddyTheWaddy Member Posts: 1,592
    Bean81 said:

Bean81 said:

Wad, if quads happen in hand one, what are the chances of two or more quads happening in the next 52 hands?

Is it more or less likely than rolling a double six on two dice, or about the same?

Quoting myself here. Look for a binomial probability calculator and let us know what you find.
    You know what i will pass on gathering info on unrelated games and comparable odds... otherwise i may become obsessed with irrelevant figures like the boy from Essex.....
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 577

You know what i will pass on gathering info on unrelated games and comparable odds... otherwise i may become obsessed with irrelevant figures like the boy from Essex.....

Therein lies the rub. Probability is everything in poker and your lack of willingness to try and understand is why you continue to cherry pick beats and bad plays as evidence of a faulty deal. You remind me of Paisting on 2+2.

I did the 10 seconds of calculations for you. The probability of two or more quads in 52 hands equates to 37/1, so ever so slightly less likely than rolling a double six. Do you lose your mind when playing board games and somebody rolls the double six they need?

• EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,501
    Bean81 said:

Therein lies the rub. Probability is everything in poker and your lack of willingness to try and understand is why you continue to cherry pick beats and bad plays as evidence of a faulty deal. You remind me of Paisting on 2+2.

I did the 10 seconds of calculations for you. The probability of two or more quads in 52 hands equates to 37/1, so ever so slightly less likely than rolling a double six. Do you lose your mind when playing board games and somebody rolls the double six they need?

Exactly this.

You believe I am "obsessed with irrelevant figures".

Whereas the last 2 occasions I pointed out that the OP's maths was way out were:-

1. You claimed an outcome was just under 1 in 20,000. When it was just under 1 in 200.
    2. That someone forced all-in as he had less than 1BB had a "no-hoper", when he had a 49% chance of either scooping or splitting the pot

If you think that those differences are "irrelevant", then you need to digest the bit in bold. If you want to become better at Poker, that is.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906
    edited April 2023
    @green_beer

If I ever got round to penning a little book about my life, the fella in that hand with the flush, the portly gentleman with the pink shirt - Achilleas Kalakkis - would get at least three chapters. I mean, really amazeball stuff. Even today, 20 years since our paths first crossed, every time I see his name I still gasp at the memories of the stuff he did, & that I did with him. Honestly, you could not make up the different stories about him. For the most part, I'm not talking poker, I'm talking "real life" stuff. Bit of poker, too.

• green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,925
    @Tikay10

glad the post got you reminising!
    Congrats on finding some similar hands that have happened once in history on tv... meanwhile online today we continue;
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    yorkie63Small blind50.0050.001780.00
    TheWaddyBig blind100.00150.001070.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    yorkie63Call50.00200.001730.00
    TheWaddyCheck
    Flop
    • K
    TheWaddyCheck
    yorkie63Check
    Turn
    TheWaddyBet100.00300.00970.00
    yorkie63Call100.00400.001630.00
    River
    • Q
    TheWaddyCheck
    yorkie63Bet200.00600.001430.00
    TheWaddyRaise600.001200.00370.00
    yorkie63Raise800.002000.00630.00
    TheWaddyAll-in370.002370.000.00
    yorkie63Unmatched bet30.002340.00660.00
    yorkie63Show
    • Q
    • Q
    • K
    TheWaddyShow
    • A
    TheWaddyWin highFour 4s2340.002340.00
    No qualifying low hand
    Bean81 said:

You are an accountant that makes 20 £1 heads up victories as being the equivalent of winning £40 in a freeroll, so the maths here could be anything.....
  • green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,925
    edited April 2023
    a str8 flush, then quad 4s

this thread should be moved to beats brags n variance ;)

nice play waddy
  • FORDAKIDZFORDAKIDZ Member Posts: 186
    I have always wanted to post this, just for someone to to work out the odds, seems like there are some people viewing who can let me know.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,501
    Tikay10 said:

@green_beer

If I ever got round to penning a little book about my life, the fella in that hand with the flush, the portly gentleman with the pink shirt - Achilleas Kalakkis - would get at least three chapters. I mean, really amazeball stuff. Even today, 20 years since our paths first crossed, every time I see his name I still gasp at the memories of the stuff he did, & that I did with him. Honestly, you could not make up the different stories about him. For the most part, I'm not talking poker, I'm talking "real life" stuff. Bit of poker, too.

Managed to carry out a £760 million Mortgage fraud. Despite having previous convictions for Fraud.

Only got 7 years prison for that in 2013, so I presume he is out now. 7 years! Sounds almost tempting...
    FORDAKIDZ said:

I have always wanted to post this, just for someone to to work out the odds, seems like there are some people viewing who can let me know.

Its really common. Todays freeroll;
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    TheWaddySmall blind100.00100.002900.00
    livwiz14Big blind200.00300.005196.25
    Your hole cards
    • J
    • Q
    JipyboyFold
    Nuggy962Fold
    chiprab111Fold
    MAXALLYFold
    TheWaddyCall100.00400.002800.00
    livwiz14Check
    Flop
    • J
    TheWaddyCheck
    livwiz14Check
    Turn
    • K
    TheWaddyCheck
    livwiz14Check
    River
    • A
    TheWaddyAll-in2800.003200.000.00
    livwiz14Fold
    TheWaddyMuck
    TheWaddyWin400.00400.00
    TheWaddyReturn2800.000.003200.00
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,760
    I wouldn't say a seven card straight flush is that common
    wikipedia:

The royal flush is a case of the straight flush. It can be formed 4 ways (one for each suit), giving it a probability of 0.000154% and odds of 649,739 : 1.

Or

If you are Bean81, equivalent of throwing a double six with dice....
    stokefc said:

I wouldn't say a seven card straight flush is that common

Depends if you on Pokerstars or not.....

You are an accountant that makes 20 £1 heads up victories as being the equivalent of winning £40 in a freeroll, so the maths here could be anything.....

Wad, I saw this and thought of you and your response to any facts that don't support your opinion:

I'm looking forward to seeing your workings on the likelihood of two quads in PLO in 52 hands.

You also might want to check (again) what I said about 20*£1 HUSNG yielding £40 in cash, rather than profit.
    TheWaddy said:

wikipedia:

The royal flush is a case of the straight flush. It can be formed 4 ways (one for each suit), giving it a probability of 0.000154% and odds of 649,739 : 1.

Or

If you are Bean81, equivalent of throwing a double six with dice....

I agree, it's very difficult to make a royal with 72o. Note that you are quoting odds based upon flopping a royal with any two hole cards.

Easy question for you: what are your odds of making a royal by the river holding QJs.
    Im not interested, i just know even if i sat dealing cards to myself for an hour or so, i wouldnt see the plethora of quads, straight flushes and royal flushes im posting here one after another.......

I agree that why its highly unusual, is that you have to have specific hole cards in the first place.... highly unusual but i managed to post one while talking about the subject of the abundance unusual hands.... quite a coincidence even you could admit.....
This discussion has been closed.