You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Interesting Theory !!

MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269
edited November 2023 in The Rail
I know this will be controversial, and should spark up A FEW posts ;)

I was just thinking and wondering........Is the reason that the Tories have brought David Cameron back into Government as Foreign Secretary, because they might want to try and go back into the EU, and REVERSE the original BREXIT Vote !

David Cameron, as Prime Minister of the time, obviously didn't want us to leave the EU, and he may be a good figurehead as Foreign Secretary, to fight to go back into Europe, which is apparently how the majority now thinks.

The Demographic of the Country has changed since the BREXIT Vote too, with a lot of Older Voters, - more in favour of BREXIT- dying off, and the now eligible Younger Voters more in favour of returning into the EU.

If I was Rishi Sunak, this is exactly what I would do,

because they have absolutely no chance at the next General Election as it is, so if it was one of their Main Policies in their Manifesto, to have a Vote, or to actually say they want to rejoin the EU if they got reelected, this would put the 'BoJo & Partygate' Era firmly behind them.

You never know ........ @HAYSIE and many, many other REMAINERS might vote Conservative if this was one of their Policies

Thoughts anyone :)

Comments

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    How would the EU react to this ?
    Would they welcome us back with open arms , mmm
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Wow how to create an even bigger divided Britain.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    I dont think that this has anything to do with it.
    David Cameron is a very experienced politician that already has a relationship with many world leaders.
    There is probably a growing majority in favour of re-joining the EU, as far as the country is concerned.
    Although doing so would further split the Tory Party.
    Whilst I think the EU would welcome us back with open arms, it wouldnt be that simple.
    We wouldnt get the same terms and conditions that we had before.
    No chance of the rebate that we previously got.
    Although the biggest stumbling block would be the currency.
    How many would be still in favour of re-joining if we had to adopt the Euro.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    if your going to bring us back into the EU you have to have a referendum, you cant simply over turn the vote of the people after everything. I would vote to rejoin btw if such a referendum took place but I would not support this happening without a referendum.

I think the reason for bringing Cameron back is nearly everyone I have spoken to regarding the tories has said Cameron was the most tolerable or the most likeable of the bunch. If the tories brought Cameron back as Prime Minister they would stand a much greater chance at the next election.

That been said with all this filth the fact Cameron wants to come back and try to save these guys condemns him with them in my eyes.
    Doubleme said:

if your going to bring us back into the EU you have to have a referendum, you cant simply over turn the vote of the people after everything. I would vote to rejoin btw if such a referendum took place but I would not support this happening without a referendum.

I think the reason for bringing Cameron back is nearly everyone I have spoken to regarding the tories has said Cameron was the most tolerable or the most likeable of the bunch. If the tories brought Cameron back as Prime Minister they would stand a much greater chance at the next election.

That been said with all this filth the fact Cameron wants to come back and try to save these guys condemns him with them in my eyes.

They couldnt bring him back as PM, as he is not an MP.
    mumsie said:

Interesting thinking .

Europe shafted us in the way out, they would absolutely spit roast us on the way back in with basting dribbled all over us.

Why would you think that?
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

Technically true. But there are ways round that. You just get an MP in a safe seat to resign-a person about to become an MP can become a PM beforehand, as happened with Alec Douglas Home (who was in the Lords at the time when made PM, whereupon he renounced his seat in the Lords).

Getting back to the OP-no. That is nit going to happen via the Conservative Party for the foreseeable future. Pretty unlikely under Labour too, though some sort of deal short of rejoining would be more realistic.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269
    edited November 2023
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

Technically true. But there are ways round that.

You just get an MP in a safe seat to resign

-a person about to become an MP can become a PM beforehand, as happened with Alec Douglas Home (who was in the Lords at the time when made PM, whereupon he renounced his seat in the Lords).

Getting back to the OP-no. That is nit going to happen via the Conservative Party for the foreseeable future. Pretty unlikely under Labour too, though some sort of deal short of rejoining would be more realistic.
    Do you think there are any Conservative Safe Seats at the moment ........ I think even Rishi's in Richmond, N.Yorks is iffy :#
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    MISTY4ME said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

Technically true. But there are ways round that.

You just get an MP in a safe seat to resign

-a person about to become an MP can become a PM beforehand, as happened with Alec Douglas Home (who was in the Lords at the time when made PM, whereupon he renounced his seat in the Lords).

Do you think there are any Conservative Safe Seats at the moment ........ I think even Rishi's in Richmond, N.Yorks is iffy :#
    Rising stars have been parachuted in in this way for all time.

To give one example, when they wanted to give Mr Sunak a nice safe seat William Hague was "persuaded" to resign his Richmond seat...
    HAYSIE said:

mumsie said:

Interesting thinking .

Europe shafted us in the way out, they would absolutely spit roast us on the way back in with basting dribbled all over us.

Because it's true.

HAYSIE said:

mumsie said:

Interesting thinking .

Because it's true.
    Really?
    How did they shaft us?
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Where are we going Rushi ........

Back to the EU...... Eeeeeeek !

HAYSIE said:

mumsie said:

Interesting thinking .

Because it's true.
    I think they bent over backwards to help us.

Once we left a border had to be created between us and them.
    WTO rules dictate that there has to be a border between different customs territories.
    We became a different customs territory.
    I suppose its just common sense.
    What would be the point of having tariffs if they were no borders?
    How you check that your imports complied with your rules, and regulations, if there were no borders?

The border between us and the EU should have been on the island of Ireland.
    Because that is the border.
    WE couldnt do that because of the Good Friday Agreement.
    So they allowed us to put the border around the UK mainland.
    This was not ideal to say the least because it effectively left NI in the EU customs territory.
    They then allowed NI to remain in the Single Market, and Customs Union free of charge.

What could we have done if they hadnt agreed to the above?
    What if they had just said, sort your own border out?
    This certainly could not be described as shafting us.

Some people think they shafted us by insisting on their rules being implemented.
    Incidentally these are the same rules that we insisted on while we were members, during the vast majority of my lifetime.
    There have always been borders.

When it's convenient, they are ignored.
    When it's necessary, they are implemented
    When it's desirable, they are altered.

I hate to be a Little Englander but I care not a jot about N.I. Which I have heard referred to as The British Gaza. We have a natural border, we are after all an Island.

It's like people getting all wound up over Gibralter. I don't care about that either. It's just a Tax Haven for gaming companies. Admittedly it's strategic importance militarily was once a consideration but is now no longer a consideration.

Do I care about Wales and Scotland ? Yes, because I believe that they are an integral part of The Union. Historically, culturally and financially.

However, I wouldn't lose sleep if they had TOTAL independence, self funded, self financed, self ruled and without reliance upon Westminster subsidies. How would that work for the tens of thousands who earn their money in England but spend it over the borders.

Not saying it would be a good thing. Personally I don't think it would be.

Although that would mean that Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Eggs would then be classed as foreign food, all sexy, mysterious and international.

:D:D:D

There have always been borders.

When it's convenient, they are ignored.
    When it's necessary, they are implemented
    When it's desirable, they are altered.

I hate to be a Little Englander but I care not a jot about N.I. Which I have heard referred to as The British Gaza. We have a natural border, we are after all an Island.

It's like people getting all wound up over Gibralter. I don't care about that either. It's just a Tax Haven for gaming companies. Admittedly it's strategic importance militarily was once a consideration but is now no longer a consideration.

Do I care about Wales and Scotland ? Yes, because I believe that they are an integral part of The Union. Historically, culturally and financially.

However, I wouldn't lose sleep if they had TOTAL independence, self funded, self financed, self ruled and without reliance upon Westminster subsidies. How would that work for the tens of thousands who earn their money in England but spend it over the borders.

Not saying it would be a good thing. Personally I don't think it would be.

Although that would mean that Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Eggs would then be classed as foreign food, all sexy, mysterious and international.

:D:D:D

I dont care much about borders either.
    Although I think trade borders are rarely ignored, if ever.
    That was merely an illustration of how the EU bent over backwards to help us.
    You were the person that agreed with the "they shafted us" comment.
    Yet you have completely avoided explaining what they did to shaft us.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272

Do have fences in you garden?
    Do you have a front door you can lock?
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    It's creating division on this forum how would the country react ?
    VespaPX said:

Do have fences in you garden?
    Do you have a front door you can lock?

Perhaps you posted this on the wrong thread.
    stokefc said:

It's creating division on this forum how would the country react ?

I dont think it is creating division on the forum.
    There are differences of of opinion on every forum, about most topics.