You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Interesting Theory !!

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    edited November 2023
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

There have always been borders.

When it's convenient, they are ignored.
    When it's necessary, they are implemented
    When it's desirable, they are altered.

I hate to be a Little Englander but I care not a jot about N.I. Which I have heard referred to as The British Gaza. We have a natural border, we are after all an Island.

It's like people getting all wound up over Gibralter. I don't care about that either. It's just a Tax Haven for gaming companies. Admittedly it's strategic importance militarily was once a consideration but is now no longer a consideration.

Do I care about Wales and Scotland ? Yes, because I believe that they are an integral part of The Union. Historically, culturally and financially.

However, I wouldn't lose sleep if they had TOTAL independence, self funded, self financed, self ruled and without reliance upon Westminster subsidies. How would that work for the tens of thousands who earn their money in England but spend it over the borders.

Not saying it would be a good thing. Personally I don't think it would be.

Although that would mean that Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Eggs would then be classed as foreign food, all sexy, mysterious and international.

:D:D:D

I dont care much about borders either.
    Although I think trade borders are rarely ignored, if ever.
    That was merely an illustration of how the EU bent over backwards to help us.
    You were the person that agreed with the "they shafted us" comment.
    Yet you have completely avoided explaining what they did to shaft us.
    No, I have simply ignored the subject and shall continue to do so. We were shafted end of, and if that's not acceptable I shall seek to pass legislation that deems it so.

Herein after known as doing a Rishi.
    So you think we were shafted, but cant explain how?
    Or what you think they actually did to warrant this criticism.
    edited November 2023
    mumsie said:

Interesting thinking .

Europe shafted us in the way out, they would absolutely spit roast us on the way back in with basting dribbled all over us.

Or what you think they actually did to warrant this criticism.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    MISTY4ME said:

IF the Conservatives had a 'Return to the EU' Vote and were the only Party to want to do so......WOULD YOU VOTE FOR THEM >

@HAYSIE , @Essexphil , @stokefc , @TheEdge949 , @Doubleme , @goldon ,@VespaPX ,

.......and anyone else who would like to contribute their thoughts :)

No, absolutely not.
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

I hate to be a Little Englander but I care not a jot about N.I. Which I have heard referred to as The British Gaza. We have a natural border, we are after all an Island.

It's like people getting all wound up over Gibralter. I don't care about that either. It's just a Tax Haven for gaming companies. Admittedly it's strategic importance militarily was once a consideration but is now no longer a consideration.

Do I care about Wales and Scotland ? Yes, because I believe that they are an integral part of The Union. Historically, culturally and financially.

However, I wouldn't lose sleep if they had TOTAL independence, self funded, self financed, self ruled and without reliance upon Westminster subsidies. How would that work for the tens of thousands who earn their money in England but spend it over the borders.

Although that would mean that Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Eggs would then be classed as foreign food, all sexy, mysterious and international.

No, I have simply ignored the subject and shall continue to do so. We were shafted end of, and if that's not acceptable I shall seek to pass legislation that deems it so.

Tony I am just pushing your buttons.

I just don't believe that anything positive came out of our integration into a federal autocracy.

Lies took us in. Lies it would appear, brought us out.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,522
    I think an European Economic Community made a lot of sense.

But it is in the process of stripping away parts of countries' individual sovereignty in its quest to become a European Union. A European "United States".

As an island nation, we were increasingly uncomfortable with that. We want to be the UK. Not California. It is certainly the case that we left in a poor way-poor both in our treatment of our EU neighbours, and the lack of any sort of coherent plan going forward.

Should we be closer to the EU? Undoubtedly. Other countries are not in the EU, and yet have various economic benefits. And should we be able to negotiate a good deal? Yes. We are economically important to the EU Members, as well as vice versa.

But we are not going to rejoin the EU for the foreseeable future. For various reasons-the Euro, the joint Army, the closer integration in all aspects not related to trade.

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tony I am just pushing your buttons.

I just don't believe that anything positive came out of our integration into a federal autocracy.

Lies took us in. Lies it would appear, brought us out.
    Ok.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    edited November 2023
    Their getting us use to non-elected members......hic! pop up person nobody voted for. ?
  • legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 162
    All the UK’s money comes from Scotland fishing oil etc biggest export is salmon all the biggest money the country gets comes from Scotland and it’s asset’s that’s why you care you’re way off life would change drastically if Scotland was independent as would mine as it is Scotland would be a very rich country and not subsidising the UK as it has done for a long time . Remember it’s only 6 million In population and supports 65 million people without it life would be very different for a lot off people tax revenue would disappear and everything would get a whole lot more expensive..
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Yeh! but we got the Royal Family with KING charlie the second Richest family after the Kardashians.
    legascaac said:

All the UK’s money comes from Scotland fishing oil etc biggest export is salmon all the biggest money the country gets comes from Scotland and it’s asset’s that’s why you care you’re way off life would change drastically if Scotland was independent as would mine as it is Scotland would be a very rich country and not subsidising the UK as it has done for a long time . Remember it’s only 6 million In population and supports 65 million people without it life would be very different for a lot off people tax revenue would disappear and everything would get a whole lot more expensive..

Scotland accounted for 9.1% of UK public spending, around 7.9% of UK revenues and 8.1% of UK population in 2020/21.
    Scotland: Public spending and revenue - House of Commons Library
    commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06625/
    commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06625/
    Interesting point of view. I think you have dramatically oversimplified a complex issue.

Also I would refute the Oil claim. Shell, Esso and to a large extent B.P are no longer British.

The largest refineries in the UK are in Hampshire, Humberside, Cheshire and Pembroke, the most productive fields outside "Scottish Waters" and the profits of the bulk of the oil from these fields isn't used to fund the rest of the UK.

Salmon sales, certainly farmed salmon, are declining, hence the reduction in commercial enterprises. The traditional fishing industry is like everywhere else, on life support and as in the rest of the UK mining and quarrying are defunct.

One of the main reasons that the Independence vote failed was that a majority of Scots realised that if Scotland was self financing then it would be shivering outside selling the Big Issue, whilst the rest of the UK sits snug and warm in Costa looking out.

Essexphil said:

I think an European Economic Community made a lot of sense.

But it is in the process of stripping away parts of countries' individual sovereignty in its quest to become a European Union. A European "United States".

As an island nation, we were increasingly uncomfortable with that. We want to be the UK. Not EUCalifornia. It is certainly the case that we left in a poor way-poor both in our treatment of our EU neighbours, and the lack of any sort of coherent plan going forward.

Should we be closer to the EU? Undoubtedly. Other countries are not in the EU, and yet have various economic benefits. And should we be able to negotiate a good deal? Yes. We are economically important to the EU Members, as well as vice versa.

But we are not going to rejoin the EU for the foreseeable future. For various reasons-the Euro, the joint Army, the closer integration in all aspects not related to trade.

A closer relationship looks on the cards.
    As you said re-joining wont happen anytime soon.
    If Sunak wants to cause himself more problems, he might get David Cameron on the case.
    He seemed to have a good relationship with the EU.
    Although he accomplished very little in his negotiations that were designed to avoid the referendum.
    Keir Starmer has already said that Labour will be looking for a closer relationship, without going into specifics, assuming they get elected.
    A closer relationship is just common sense.
    Even though there is probably a majority in favour of rejoining, this can only be in theory, until the terms and conditions are known.
    As time goes by, this majority is likely to increase, although I am not sure if we are getting closer to rejoining, or further away.
    The Royal family is Scottish if a recall correctly .. Salmon is countries biggest export.. Your oil fields produces that much oil n gas we import it .Scotland doesn’t need imports on gas or oil and produces enough electricity for the whole off Scotland and much more if they were independent you would know about it .. that why labour got Donald Dewer when he was first minister to make it England’s right to block it .. if you’re that sure about your facts from home office why is your parliament so desperate to keep Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 if they get extra money they would dump them .. They subsidise us severely refinery’s yes we have a lot but lots off people down south need it .. bottom line without then we’re a sinking ship proof in pudding tell our government down south to give them independence we’ll be buying electricity and oil from them and cost will be a lot more .. they are a self sufficient country the rest off UK is not
    legascaac said:

The Royal family is Scottish if a recall correctly .. Salmon is countries biggest export.. Your oil fields produces that much oil n gas we import it .Scotland doesn’t need imports on gas or oil and produces enough electricity for the whole off Scotland and much more if they were independent you would know about it .. that why labour got Donald Dewer when he was first minister to make it England’s right to block it .. if you’re that sure about your facts from home office why is your parliament so desperate to keep Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 if they get extra money they would dump them .. They subsidise us severely refinery’s yes we have a lot but lots off people down south need it .. bottom line without then we’re a sinking ship proof in pudding tell our government down south to give them independence we’ll be buying electricity and oil from them and cost will be a lot more .. they are a self sufficient country the rest off UK is not

The British Royal Family has German heritage, but the extent of this heritage is debated12. While some people believe that the Royal Family is German, others argue that the family's ethnicity can be linked to the German side2. However, such ancestry was long washed by other factors like marriages and kids born in different European countries such as England2.
    edited November 2023
    legascaac said:

2014 Scottish independence referendumShould Scotland be an independent country?

A referendum on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom was held in Scotland on 18 September 2014.[1] The referendum question was, "Should Scotland be an independent country?", which voters answered with "Yes" or "No".[2] The "No" side won with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Scottish_independence_referendum
    It’s well different now up there especially after conservatives carry on with covid and all the rest off there ongoing lies , it like brexit 62% said they wanted to stay 38% wanted out in Scotland, but southern England took them out against there will and decided for them .. independence now is a no brainier for them as that government can not be trusted , they want to be free off English rule ..They’ll declare it shortly as supporters of it now are at least 70%. No words or paperwork can stop it in a democratic country unless it’s England off course they like to change rules to suit them , Rwanda illegal by international law ,Oh we’ll change legislation, untrustworthy in every way everything for the south , prime example just like HS2 .. laughable..They tories no good for the north and labour no good for any one .. England like to boss about and have responsibility for a lot of troubles stealing other countries assets and baling out once they can’t get any more. as history shows us . They can only do it now to the Welsh , Irish n Scottish . Commonwealth crumbling as everyone declares independence from the past and hates us all with a passion .. no wonder the rest want out but that’s the government and governance aka the conservatives nobody wants tarnished any longer with there lies and deceit as it’s all about the rich people for them . FREEDOM from Tyranny off London and it’s lies …. A mean Brexit went well not … no staff shortages in hospitals and that’s just one example visa for holidays back to the good old days.. we got it wrong Scotland were right .. Brexit has made me worse off and Al bet I ain’t the only one more Tory lies .. no wonder they want out and if they go hard borders between England and Scotland . Tories have made a c u n t off it for everyone .. Europe wouldn’t let them back in now they might let Wales and Scotland in but after the money they had to waste on Brexit a don’t think they would take us why should they . Great pm Boris was how much death did he cause with lies about covid , hanging to good for that b. a. s. t. a. r. d .. and his lies … murdering his own cause he’s an idiot.. how you voted him in a don’t know he’s responsible for killing your innocent family members in care homes and right throughout Britain .. a did not vote for him .. he murdered some off ma family members… but whoever’s voted for that idiot that couldn’t run a pi ss up in a brewery .. he’s guilty off killing yours as well. Not a good brush to be tarred with .. bottom line we don’t have much to be proud off least off all the conservatives
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269
    edited November 2023
    I think someone isnt impressed with the Tories........ ;):D

To be honest, I think you will find that the SNP won't do quite as well in the next General Election, as the last one , and that Labour will win quite a few seats North of the Border :*
    legascaac said:

It’s well different now up there especially after conservatives carry on with covid and all the rest off there ongoing lies , it like brexit 62% said they wanted to stay 38% wanted out in Scotland, but southern England took them out against there will and decided for them .. independence now is a no brainier for them as that government can not be trusted , they want to be free off English rule ..They’ll declare it shortly as supporters of it now are at least 70%. No words or paperwork can stop it in a democratic country unless it’s England off course they like to change rules to suit them , Rwanda illegal by international law ,Oh we’ll change legislation, untrustworthy in every way everything for the south , prime example just like HS2 .. laughable..They tories no good for the north and labour no good for any one .. England like to boss about and have responsibility for a lot of troubles stealing other countries assets and baling out once they can’t get any more. as history shows us . They can only do it now to the Welsh , Irish n Scottish . Commonwealth crumbling as everyone declares independence from the past and hates us all with a passion .. no wonder the rest want out but that’s the government and governance aka the conservatives nobody wants tarnished any longer with there lies and deceit as it’s all about the rich people for them . FREEDOM from Tyranny off London and it’s lies …. A mean Brexit went well not … no staff shortages in hospitals and that’s just one example visa for holidays back to the good old days.. we got it wrong Scotland were right .. Brexit has made me worse off and Al bet I ain’t the only one more Tory lies .. no wonder they want out and if they go hard borders between England and Scotland . Tories have made a c u n t off it for everyone .. Europe wouldn’t let them back in now they might let Wales and Scotland in but after the money they had to waste on Brexit a don’t think they would take us why should they . Great pm Boris was how much death did he cause with lies about covid , hanging to good for that b. a. s. t. a. r. d .. and his lies … murdering his own cause he’s an idiot.. how you voted him in a don’t know he’s responsible for killing your innocent family members in care homes and right throughout Britain .. a did not vote for him .. he murdered some off ma family members… but whoever’s voted for that idiot that couldn’t run a pi ss up in a brewery .. he’s guilty off killing yours as well. Not a good brush to be tarred with .. bottom line we don’t have much to be proud off least off all the conservatives

Scottish Independence Poll
    The result of an IndyRef today – 5 November 2023

The latest monthly polling averages on Scottish independence, show ‘No’ campaigners maintaining a steady, albeit slight, lead in the polls.

Excluding those who declare themselves to be undecided (currently around 6% of the electorate), polling averages from October 2023 places the ‘Yes’ side at 48.7% and the ‘No’ side at 51.3%.

Notable recent polls

Further details of the latest voting intentions in relation to a potential second referendum on Scottish independence can be seen in the most recent individual polls:

Redfield and Wilton (October 30) which placed the Yes side on 47.4% and the No side on 52.6%, post adjusting for undecided voters.

Savanta (October 10) which placed the Yes side on 48.9% and the No side on 51.1%, post adjusting for undecided voters.

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/scottish-independence-polls/
    maybe , but they're remembered for selling Scotland down the river or DONALD DEWER is and the Labour party he represented .. Conservatives hate them they killed some off my relations with BOJO's carry on about COVID . Would a not like to meet him ... an eye for an eye .
    MISTY4ME said:

I think someone isnt impressed with the Tories........ ;):D

To be honest, I think you will find that the SNP won't do quite as well in the next General Election, as the last one , and that Labour will win quite a few seats North of the Border :*

Poll: Labour increase lead over SNP in shock survey of Scottish voters

Labour have extended their lead over the SNP in general election voting intentions, according to a major opinion survey published today.

The latest Scoop poll, conducted by the flagship Scottish Election Study, put support for the former party at 38%, some six points ahead of the SNP, which took 32% when undecided respondents are removed.

Researchers said the increased lead for Labour was due "to the weakening connection between support for Scottish independence and support for the SNP".

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23894950.poll-labour-increase-lead-snp-shock-survey-scottish-voters/