You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Interesting Theory !!

Comments

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

It's creating division on this forum how would the country react ?

I dont think it is creating division on the forum.
    There are differences of of opinion on every forum, about most topics.
    Oh ok then , how do you think the country would react ?
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

And would that reaction be reflected on the forum ?
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,055
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

Always.
    I just dont think that any topic creates division.
    The division was already there.
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

Very much the same as during the referendum.
    Although there does seem to be a majority that are now in favour of being in the EU.
    But there are still enough that are glad to be out, to cause a row over it.
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

Although there does seem to be a majority that are now in favour of being in the EU.
    You're probably right right there Tony , a few of the oldies have died off and younguns old enough to vote now plus all the folks who now realise it was probably a mistake to leave will more than likely make it in favour to return
    There will always be people who want to divide always will for ever and ever
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

I think that sometimes discussing a topic changes some peoples minds.
    Though not very often.
    The EU debate was very divisive at the time of the referendum.
    Many people had opinions that were not based on the facts.
    At least some of these now know the truth.
    If we had another referendum, I think it would be equally divisive.
    As would rejoining without a referendum.
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

You're probably right right there Tony , a few of the oldies have died off and younguns old enough to vote now plus all the folks who now realise it was probably a mistake to leave will more than likely make it in favour to return
    There will always be people who want to divide always will for ever and ever
    They will.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    edited November 2023
    HAYSIE said:

There have always been borders.

When it's convenient, they are ignored.
    When it's necessary, they are implemented
    When it's desirable, they are altered.

I hate to be a Little Englander but I care not a jot about N.I. Which I have heard referred to as The British Gaza. We have a natural border, we are after all an Island.

It's like people getting all wound up over Gibralter. I don't care about that either. It's just a Tax Haven for gaming companies. Admittedly it's strategic importance militarily was once a consideration but is now no longer a consideration.

Do I care about Wales and Scotland ? Yes, because I believe that they are an integral part of The Union. Historically, culturally and financially.

However, I wouldn't lose sleep if they had TOTAL independence, self funded, self financed, self ruled and without reliance upon Westminster subsidies. How would that work for the tens of thousands who earn their money in England but spend it over the borders.

Not saying it would be a good thing. Personally I don't think it would be.

Although that would mean that Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Eggs would then be classed as foreign food, all sexy, mysterious and international.

:D:D:D

I dont care much about borders either.
    Although I think trade borders are rarely ignored, if ever.
    That was merely an illustration of how the EU bent over backwards to help us.
    You were the person that agreed with the "they shafted us" comment.
    Yet you have completely avoided explaining what they did to shaft us.
    No, I have simply ignored the subject and shall continue to do so. We were shafted end of, and if that's not acceptable I shall seek to pass legislation that deems it so.

Herein after known as doing a Rishi.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269
    edited November 2023
    IF the Conservatives had a 'Return to the EU' Vote and were the only Party to want to do so......WOULD YOU VOTE FOR THEM >

@HAYSIE , @Essexphil , @stokefc , @TheEdge949 , @Doubleme , @goldon ,@VespaPX ,

.......and anyone else who would like to contribute their thoughts :)
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    I once voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party........
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,822
    There is no arrangement of words to form a sentence that could result in ever voting for the Tories.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    MISTY4ME said:

IF the Conservatives had a 'Return to the EU' Vote and were the only Party to want to do so......WOULD YOU VOTE FOR THEM >

no I think there are many issues why I hate the tory party and I dont care enough about EU membership enough to vote these scum back in,.
    goldon said:

Why doesn't that surprise me ;)
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    stokefc said:

goldon said:

Didn't I see you at the Rally......
    goldon said:

stokefc said:

goldon said:

Didn't I see you at the Rally......
    No , that was Jezza Corbyn

HAYSIE said:

There have always been borders.

When it's convenient, they are ignored.
    When it's necessary, they are implemented
    When it's desirable, they are altered.

I hate to be a Little Englander but I care not a jot about N.I. Which I have heard referred to as The British Gaza. We have a natural border, we are after all an Island.

It's like people getting all wound up over Gibralter. I don't care about that either. It's just a Tax Haven for gaming companies. Admittedly it's strategic importance militarily was once a consideration but is now no longer a consideration.

Do I care about Wales and Scotland ? Yes, because I believe that they are an integral part of The Union. Historically, culturally and financially.

However, I wouldn't lose sleep if they had TOTAL independence, self funded, self financed, self ruled and without reliance upon Westminster subsidies. How would that work for the tens of thousands who earn their money in England but spend it over the borders.

Not saying it would be a good thing. Personally I don't think it would be.

Although that would mean that Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Eggs would then be classed as foreign food, all sexy, mysterious and international.

:D:D:D

I dont care much about borders either.
    Although I think trade borders are rarely ignored, if ever.
    That was merely an illustration of how the EU bent over backwards to help us.
    You were the person that agreed with the "they shafted us" comment.
    Yet you have completely avoided explaining what they did to shaft us.
    No, I have simply ignored the subject and shall continue to do so. We were shafted end of, and if that's not acceptable I shall seek to pass legislation that deems it so.

Herein after known as doing a Rishi.
    So you think we were shafted, but cant explain how?
    MISTY4ME said:

They wont do it, as they would alienate everybody that is in favour of Brexit, and not guaranteed to get the rest to vote for them.
    Lets say it is now 60/40 in favour of rejoining.
    By doing this, they alienate the 40%.
    They will not get the 60%, because some will not vote, others will stick with the parties they usually vote for, and some will resent them for doing it without another referendum.
    They just wont do it.
    The turnout in the 2019 general election was 67.3%.
    Joining the Euro will also put off some that are in favour.
  • MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,269
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

They wont do it, as they would alienate everybody that is in favour of Brexit, and not guaranteed to get the rest to vote for them.
    They will not get the 60%, because some will not vote, others will stick with the parties they usually vote for, and some will resent them for doing it without another referendum.
    They just wont do it.
    Theres no way they could rejoin the EU without another referendum ...... I thought it would be interesting if the opportunity of a Vote on rejoining, became one of their Main Policies. They couldn't do any worse than they are doing, that's for sure :o
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

They just wont do it.
    Theres no way they could rejoin the EU without another referendum ...... I thought it would be interesting if the opportunity of a Vote on rejoining, became one of their Main Policies. They couldn't do any worse than they are doing, that's for sure :o
    It has been argued in the past, where a particular point is a key point in their general election manifesto, that a vote for that particular party, is a vote for that particular point.
    So if point number 1 in their manifesto was that a vote for for the Tories, was a vote to rejoin the EU, then they could assume that if they achieved a majority, then the majority had voted to rejoin.
    For instance it was assumed after the 2019 election that the Boris resounding majority, was a vote to get Brexit done.
    You would think that to do this properly, then some negotiations would have to take place between the UK, and EU, to establish the terms and conditions, and I am not certain how long this would take.
    There would be a massive kick of if there was a big majority for the Tories, at the election, and it was subsequently established that we would have to join the Euro.
    So the time required for these negotiations, on top of the 22 weeks required to arrange a referendum, means we are already running out of time, between now, and the next general election.

Is there time?
    UCL’s Constitution Unit published a report in October 2018 which estimated that it would take 22 weeks between the decision to hold another referendum and polling day. This was made up of 12 weeks to pass the legislation and prepare for the poll and then the 10-week regulated period of the campaign.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/a-second-brexit-referendum-the-rules/