You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Stream/Sky Glass-The Future Of TV.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,152
edited December 2023 in The Rail
Sky Glass Setup & Impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvENk3oeNu4

402K views 2 years ago #SkyTV #SkyGlass #TV
Unboxing, Setup & Impressions of Sky Glass! The new Streaming TV from Sky without the need for a Satellite Dish or Set-top Box! But does it live up to the hype? ▶ Check it out: https://bit.ly/3nKsAGz - AD

Comments

• Options
    Sky Glass TV Review | One Month Later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3XTMKLmVZ8&t=10s

711,577 views Nov 17, 2021
    Reviewing Sky Glass after a month of testing this smart QLED TV, the successor to Sky Q and possibly the ultimate streaming telly in 2021. With this television, you no longer need a dish nailed to your house to enjoy those many, many channels. Instead, Sky Glass can stream all of your shows, movies and sports over the internet. Setup is simple, taking only a few minutes, while the Stream Puck can be used to beam content to your other televisions.
  • Options
    Sky Glass Unboxing | The Gadget Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQSmIR43DBk

54K views 2 years ago #SkyGlass #TheGadgetShow

We unbox a piece of tech which promises to revolutionise the way we watch TV, Sky Glass. To watch the full episodes from our latest series, head over to My5: https://www.my5.tv/the-gadget-show/
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ‘Sky Stream’ Recording Explained: Can It Replace Sky Q?

Sky’s streaming TV box, which relies on broadband instead of a satellite dish to deliver content to your TV, is a game-changer in many ways for Sky – in part because, unlike Sky Q, it doesn’t have any local storage space for recordings.

Therefore, instead of recording content on the device itself, Sky Stream mostly uses the ‘Playlist’ feature to stream content from 3rd parties (and from Sky) directly to you, on-demand.

But in some cases, Sky Stream can also record up to 1,000 hours “to the cloud”, and then stream them back to you – but that only happens with a handful of channels.

If that sounds familiar, it’s because Sky Stream works just like Sky Glass, Sky’s streaming TV, with its playlist and cloud recordings – with both being quite different from Sky Q and traditional Freeview recording boxes.

With some programmes being recorded directly to the cloud, some being presented as “bookmarks” to 3rd party streaming services, and some not being available on-demand at all, some customers are still confused.

Having used Sky Stream and Sky Glas for more than a year – I’m here to explain things.

What Is Sky Stream?
    Sky’s standalone 4K streaming box officially launched in October 2022 (See our in-depth Sky Stream review).

Unlike Sky Q and Sky’s older boxes in the UK, Sky Stream doesn’t use a satellite dish – instead, it relies on broadband, and streams all the content to the box, much like other streaming devices and streaming services (Amazon’s Fire TV, Roku, and streaming services like Netflix and Sky’s own NOW).

But unlike Sky Glass, where you have to buy and pay for a new TV – Sky Stream can be connected to any TV in your house (and you can get more than one, for different rooms).

Also, unlike competing streaming devices from Virgin Media and BT TV – Sky Stream can work with any broadband provider, so you don’t have to subscribe to Sky Broadband or change providers.

As with Sky Glass, you get most (but not all) of the Freeview channels (see the complete Sky Stream channels list) – without needing a Freeview aerial, as those too are streamed to you via broadband.

Sky Stream starts from £26/month, depending on your contract – check out our Sky Stream pricing guide here.

How Does Recording Work On Sky Stream?
    If you have a Freeview recorder (see our recommendations), you can set it up to record any live programme that airs on Freeview (or Freesat, with the appropriate box), on the built-in hard drive. Once the recording is done, you can keep it and watch it again at any time.

Since Sky Stream (just like Sky Glass) is solely based on streaming – it doesn’t have a hard drive for storing recordings. Instead, everything is based on its “Playlist” feature.

The Playlist holds all the content you’re interested in. If you see a programme you want to watch (now or later) on one of the other menus, or while playing content, you can press “+” on your Sky Stream remote – and that programme will be added to your Playlist.

This year, Sky also added Profiles to Sky Glass and Sky Stream, or as they’re called here – ‘Personalised Playlists’ – so different members of your household can add programmes to different playlists.

At that point, every single episode of that series – past, present and future – will be added to your Playlist.

But what does that mean, exactly? One of three things will happen, depending on the arrangement Sky has with that channel:

1. Some programmes will be recorded to the cloud.
    Cloud recordings can be watched whenever you want after the original broadcast, and will be kept on the cloud for up to 12 months.

Remember, though, that since these recordings reside on the cloud, and not on your own device – you’ll need broadband to stream and watch them.

Furthermore, I’d take the “12 months” promise with a grain of salt – if Sky loses the rights to a channel, or specific content, there’s certainly a chance the programme you recorded will disappear from your cloud recordings as well.

Also, it’s worth noting that “Recorded” to the cloud is also a bit of a confusing term in this instance – most of these programmes don’t actually get actively recorded when you press a button – they’re already in the cloud, and “Playlisting” them simply gives you a handy bookmark/shortcut for the streamed versions of those programmes.

But which programmes get “recorded” to the cloud? “Some” seems to be the best answer Sky can give. It includes:

Most (but not all) of Sky’s own content (from Sky’s in-house channels like Sky Atlantic, Sky Witness and the like) – though again, “recorded” is a tricky term here. That content simply remains available for you to stream.
    Sporting events from Sky Sports and BT Sport (if you’re subscribed).
    Some Freeview terrestrial channels (a few exceptions are detailed below) – from those that are available on Sky Stream at the moment, and excluding the public broadcasters’ channels.
    However, even on terrestrial channels, Sky says that “there may be specific programmes that are not recordable from these channels too”.

2. Some programmes will direct you to 3rd party apps
    Content from some of the major broadcasters can’t be recorded directly.

Continued into next post.
  • Options
    Instead, when you add a programme from one of them to the Stream’s Playlist, you will merely see a “shortcut” that takes you to that broadcaster’s dedicated app. These include:

BBC iPlayer
    ITVX
    Channel4
    My5
    STV Player (in Scotland)
    So let’s say you mark a BBC programme with the “+” on your Sky Stream: you will still see thumbnails of all the episodes of that programme on your playlist.

However, when you want to watch that programme – Stream is going to open the BBC iPlayer app, and you’ll have to watch it on iPlayer.

And the same goes for content from ITV (via ITX), Channel 4, Channel 5 and STV Player. This also means you need to have an account on each of these broadcasters’ streaming apps.

Long-term availability is then dependent on that channel and the specific programme/film – many programmes on BBC iPlayer, for example, are only available for 12 months.

And some others are removed after less than 30 days – so those will be removed from your Playlist as well (unlike a “real” recording, where you could keep the programme indefinitely, at least in theory).

This “shortcut” method is also true for the big streaming services like Netflix, Amazon’s Prime Video and the others, where you will be sent to the respective streamer’s app – but that has always been the case, even on Sky Q and on connected Freeview Play recorders.

3. Some content can only be watched live
    Lastly, there’s some content you can only watch live – or, at best, “restart” if the show is still airing.

This includes:

Music Channels: You can add programmes from music channels to your Playlist, but you can only restart them, or watch live during the broadcast.
    News Programmes: This depends on the channel. Sky News, Sky Sports News and CNBC News can all be recorded. But “The key terrestrial news programmes are made available for up to 24 hours after the broadcast”, according to Sky.
    Bottom Line: What CAN I Record On Sky Stream?
    Even after more than 18 months with Sky Glass and Sky Stream’s Playlist feature – I can say that it’s sometimes a game of trial-and-error when it comes to recording and adding content to the Playlist.

It’s pretty clear what you CAN’T record directly: content from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, STV, Music channels and some News channels (and, as always, the major streaming-only services).

As for the rest – you can record some of the content to the cloud, but not all. Will there be cases when you set something to record, on a “supported” channel, only to find out that a specific programme was NOT recorded? Yes.

While the aim of this is to simplify things for users with one “Playlist”, being unable to know exactly what you can and can’t record, and being sent to either a cloud recording or a 3rd party app – can get confusing.

If you’re not someone who records a lot from Freeview, all this won’t make much of a difference to you.

Another advantage of the Playlist is that if you have several Sky Stream devices (or Sky Glass in one room and Stream in others) – the Playlist synchronises across them, so you’ll have the same list of favourites and watchlist history across all your devices (but it doesn’t sync with the Sky Go app).

Order Sky Stream online
    Check Sky Glass offers
    Check Sky Q Offers
    Note: This article was first published in October 2022 and has since been updated to include new information.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/sky-stream-recording-explained/#How Does Recording Work on Sky Stream
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,744
    stealing ideas from the dodgy firestick dealers huh hahaha
  • Options
    Sky Stream - Entertainment & Netflix
    150 channels + 150 HD
    Free installation
    £19.00 for 18 months
    Prices may change during contract

(usually £29.00)
    Upfront cost: £0.00

Sky Stream - Entertainment & Netflix + Cinema
    162 channels + 162 HD
    Free installation
    £27.00 for 18 months

(usually £48.00)

Sky Stream - Entertainment & Netflix + Sports
    158 channels + 158 HD
    Free installation
    £39.00 for 18 months

(usually £61.00)
  • Options

What have you got?
  • Options
    10 November - 9 December
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £21.00 (Previous price: 34)

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £9.00 (Previous price: 19)

Sky HD, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £0.00 (Previous price: 9)

Multiscreen, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £11.00 (Previous price: 15)

Total bill £48.

Dec 2023
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £24.00 (Previous price: 34)

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £13.00 (Previous price: 19)

Sky HD, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £0.00 (Previous price: 9)

Multiscreen, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £12.00 (Previous price: 15)

Total bill £56.

10th Mar 2024
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £24.00 (Previous price: 34)

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £13.00 (Previous price: 19)

Sky HD, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £6.39 (Previous price: 9)

Multiscreen, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £12.00 (Previous price: 15)

Total bill £62.39.

• Options
    Best Sky Glass TV deals for December 2023 - just in time for Christmas

Three-month introductory offer: Sky Glass 43", Sky TV & Netflix for £14/mo (then £40/mo)
    Three-month introductory offer: Sky Glass 55", Sky TV & Netflix for £19/mo (then £40/mo)
    Three-month introductory offer: Sky Glass 43", Sky TV & Netflix, plus Superfast Broadband for £27/mo (then £53/mo)
    Three-month introductory offer: Sky Glass 43", Sky Cinema, Sky TV & Netflix for £25/mo (then £51/mo)
    Three-month introductory offer: Sky Glass 43", Sky Live, Sky TV & Netflix for £20/mo (then £46/mo)

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a37934297/sky-glass-tv-price-packages-cost-multiroom/#sky-glass-december-2023-introductory-offers
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HAYSIE said:

What have you got?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJzr1Wcy_s&pp=ygUXbmluYSBzaW1vbmUgaSBnb3QgbGlmZSA%3D

Haha

I have virgin, imo their internet is the best, I used to have sky, much prefer sky tv, but the internet was rubbish, for me .
    My aunty has sky glass and they don’t like it, lags a lot, I told her she needs better internet connection, those tvs are cool tho, the voice activated channel switch and search is pretty cool, turning it on and off with your voice is also smart.
  • Options
    I started looking at Sky stream.
    This led me on to Sky glass, which seems to be Sky stream installed in your telly.
    I have a couple of reservations.
    Does Sky glass tie you more to Sky?
    Although the only real alternative appears to be Virgin, which is not available in my area, and therefore less of a consideration.
    How does the playlist really compare with recordings?
    I begrudge paying for the multiroom, so if I went for the Sky glass, I would probably buy 2 TVs.
    I am currently paying £12 per month for the multiroom, although the going rate seems to be £15 per month.
    Maybe the 65" for my living room, and a 43" for out the back, for Mrs Haysie to watch her soaps on.
    This would seem to be the best value for money, assuming I didnt have to pay for 2 Sky subscriptions.
    In which case I would just go for one TV, one puck, and pay for the multiroom.
    I would also need to clarify whether the HD charge applies to Sky glass,
    Saving the HD, and multiroom charges would seem to make it really good value for money.

I initially thought that buying both TVs outright would be the best option.
    Although, my current thinking is that rather than part with a lump of cash, I would go for the 48 months interest free.
    I bought my current TV around 15 years ago, and will probably have to replace it at some point, even though it currently seems to be healthier than me.

Sky seem to be encouraging their Sky Q customers to convert to Sky stream.
    Doing away with the reliance on satellite dishes would seem to make sense.
    Sky stream would seem to be a TV with Sky stream installed, with a far better picture quality, and sound system.

In summary my decision will be made based on the charges that are applicable to the Sky glass package.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

HAYSIE said:

What have you got?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJzr1Wcy_s&pp=ygUXbmluYSBzaW1vbmUgaSBnb3QgbGlmZSA%3D

Haha

I have virgin, imo their internet is the best, I used to have sky, much prefer sky tv, but the internet was rubbish, for me .
    My aunty has sky glass and they don’t like it, lags a lot, I told her she needs better internet connection, those tvs are cool tho, the voice activated channel switch and search is pretty cool, turning it on and off with your voice is also smart.
    Not sure why this is relevant?
    I have BT internet, and Sky TV.
    I couldnt get Virgin TV, even if I wanted to.
    The internet I have seems very reliable, and fast enough, it has been many years (touch wood) since I have had any internet problems.
    The days of losing the connection when running deep in a tourney seem to be long gone (touch wood again).
    The Sky glass TVs would seem to be superior to my current TV in many ways.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sorry-got lost there.

What is it?

My Sky bill increased by £8 this month.
    It increases by a further £6.39 in February.
    The £8 increase is made up of them allowing less discounts on a few bits.
    Sky signature has gone up £3.
    Sky Cinema £4.
    Sky multiscreen £1.
    The £6.39 in February is in respect of HD, which they are currently not charging me for.
    They are very slippery.

Apparently if I take off the HD, which I am not bothered about, I can only have Netflix on one screen, which I am bothered about.

I am going to have to have a chat with them.
    Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.
    Have you looked at Sky stream?
    I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.
    You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?
    On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

I record loads of programmes, but usually watch them within a reasonable time span.
    For example I might record a series which is aired one episode at a time, but I will usually watch the full series soon after it has finished.
    My understanding is that with Sky glass around a 1,000 hours can be stored in the cloud from a selection of, but not all channels.

Whereas on Stream you can only watch programmes when Sky decide you can. And Box sets regularly disappear for months on end, or transfer to a different provider.
    I think that the majority of channels allow you access to a particular programme for 12 months.
    Where a particular programme transfers to a different provider, you would still have access, assuming the new provider is included in your package.
    You can also access various programmes through the apps.
    For example a number of BBC programmes that are no longer available on Sky, can be accessed via the iPlayer.
    The playlist seems to be more efficient in some respects, in that it will search every provider for every episode of any programme that you wish to access.
    I can only assume that box sets only disappear after say 12 months, to provide storage space for new programmes.
    Although it is not unusual for them to reappear from time to time.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sorry-got lost there.

What is it?

My Sky bill increased by £8 this month.
    It increases by a further £6.39 in February.
    The £8 increase is made up of them allowing less discounts on a few bits.
    Sky signature has gone up £3.
    Sky Cinema £4.
    Sky multiscreen £1.
    The £6.39 in February is in respect of HD, which they are currently not charging me for.
    They are very slippery.

Apparently if I take off the HD, which I am not bothered about, I can only have Netflix on one screen, which I am bothered about.

I am going to have to have a chat with them.
    Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.
    Have you looked at Sky stream?
    I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.
    You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?
    On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

Whereas on Stream you can only watch programmes when Sky decide you can. And Box sets regularly disappear for months on end, or transfer to a different provider.
    Also, I have had a number of my recordings disappear from my Sky Q, where a provider has designated that a particular programme will only be available for a particular period.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

What have you got?

Haha

The internet I have seems very reliable, and fast enough, it has been many years (touch wood) since I have had any internet problems.
    The days of losing the connection when running deep in a tourney seem to be long gone (touch wood again).
    What u got? I got life, I thought that was pretty funny.

My experience with sky and bt internet was pretty ****, since switching to virgin it’s been much better, all the gamers that I know all swear by virgin internet too…… one thing I will say to you is using internet on ur phone or laptop is way different from streaming Full HD to a tv, you really need high speed internet, the entry level broadbands are not good enough imo esp if u r running two tvs to it.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

What have you got?

Haha

My experience with sky and bt internet was pretty ****, since switching to virgin it’s been much better, all the gamers that I know all swear by virgin internet too…… one thing I will say to you is using internet on ur phone or laptop is way different from streaming Full HD to a tv, you really need high speed internet, the entry level broadbands are not good enough imo esp if u r running two tvs to it.
    All I was saying that you dont have to have TV, and internet with the same company.
    You said you preferred Sky TV.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

What have you got?

Haha

All I was saying that you dont have to have TV, and internet with the same company.
    sorry @HAYSIE been at work all day, just got home......yeah i know you can, but it makes it more expensive, much better taking a full package from a provider in my experience anyway......

i know you cant get virgin but when i switched over, if i took the tv, the phone and my mobile sim card plus the internet, they doubled the internet speed for each additonal product i opted for and best of all it worked out at the same price of their cheapest internet (on its own) plus my regular mobile bill.....so it worked in my favour.......

if you are going for the new streaming tv set up, just make sure your internet connection will cope with it, what ever speed they say you need, get something quicker ;)
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    I have the sky glass tv (65") with 'now tv' internet and a dodgy firestick in total it costs £68 incl payments for the TV, it cost me £114 for internet and broadband with Virgin...

As @green_beer says the Virgin internet is much better but the customer service was abysmal and they weren't nearly as good to deal with as Sky (i did have Sky Internet before virgin and it was ok, now tv is Sky)

The TV works fine for me, we rarely record anything so it doesn't really affect me, all in all I am very happy with it, may look at changing the broadband provider though next year
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

What have you got?

Haha

sorry @HAYSIE been at work all day, just got home......yeah i know you can, but it makes it more expensive, much better taking a full package from a provider in my experience anyway......

i know you cant get virgin but when i switched over, if i took the tv, the phone and my mobile sim card plus the internet, they doubled the internet speed for each additonal product i opted for and best of all it worked out at the same price of their cheapest internet (on its own) plus my regular mobile bill.....so it worked in my favour.......

if you are going for the new streaming tv set up, just make sure your internet connection will cope with it, what ever speed they say you need, get something quicker ;)
    It seems to be the way Sky are going.
    All the new deals seem to be for Sky stream.
    Sky Q isnt mentioned much on their website.
    I dont suppose anyone would have a satellite dish, if they didnt have to.
    I have a couple of concerns, but I think my internet speed is ok.
    I will have a look at the Sky glass before buying one.