You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Stream/Sky Glass-The Future Of TV.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,365
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Sky Signature 10 Mar - 9 Apr £19.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Mar - 9 Apr £6.00

Sky Cinema 10 Mar - 9 Apr £9.00

Sky HD 10 Mar - 9 Apr £0.00

Multiscreen 10 Mar - 9 Apr £11.00

Total Payment £45.00

Sky Signature, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £21.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £9.00

Sky HD, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £0.00

Multiscreen, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £11.00

Total bill £48.

Dec 2023
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £24.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £13.00

Sky HD, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £0.00

Multiscreen, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £12.00

Total bill £56.

10th Mar 2024
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £24.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £13.00

Sky HD, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £6.39

Multiscreen, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £12.00

Total bill £62.39.

Sky Signature 10 Apr - 9 May £24.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Apr - 9 May £7.00

Sky Cinema 10 Apr - 9 May £13.00

Sky HD 10 Apr - 9 May £9.00

Multiscreen 10 Apr - 9 May £12.00

Total £65.00
    Spoke to them this morning it is now,

Sky Signature £22.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Apr - 9 May £4.00

Sky Cinema 10 Apr - 9 May £10.00

Sky HD 10 Apr - 9 May £0.00

Multiscreen 10 Apr - 9 May £14.00

Total £50.00

Taken a long time.

But you have now received a decent offer.
    I have just looked at my bills for the next 4 months, it is now,

Sky Signature £22.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Apr - 9 May £4.00

Sky Cinema 10 Apr - 9 May £6.00

Sky HD 10 Apr - 9 May £0.00

Multiscreen 10 Apr - 9 May £14.00

Total £46.00
  • Options
    edited February 11
    In the end I decided not to go for Sky glass, or stream.

I couldnt face the thought of the Mrs Hayes serious moaning about the lack of a recording facility, and a different set up.

It turned out to be a bit of a minefield.
    There are so many options.
    And so many suppliers.
    Some of them set the TV up, others dont.
    I certainly wasnt going to order a TV, that just arrived in a box.
    I would never rely on my own setting up skills.
    So the setting up, narrowed it down.
    I decided to go for a 65 inch.
    I currently have a 50 inch Panasonic.

I also have a stand that weighs a ton, that I think I paid around £330 for, about 18 years ago.
    I found a smaller one on Amazon, that weighed 33 kilos.

First off I tried to buy a Samsung from John Lewis.
    Not as easy as you may think.
    They had a deal on, as long as you bought the TV, and a soundbar on the same day.
    I got as far as the checkout.
    I selected the recycling of my old TV, as well as the setting up of the new one.
    The stumbling block was that they couldnt deliver the TV and the soundbar on the same day.

I couldnt overcome this problem online, so I phoned customer services.
    The woman I spoke to was no real help.
    I think she could see the problem, but was short of answers.
    Apparently the TV, and soundbar, are sourced from different suppliers, and there was nothing she could do.
    It just seems strange to have a deal which involves a cash back from Samsung which is dependant on ordering both together.
    Why would anyone pay to have their TV set up, if the soundbar arrived later?
    Why wouldnt they just deliver the soundbar first?

Plan B was Currys.
    They were the only alternative that did the setting up.
    I phoned them to see if a 65 inch TV would fit on my existing stand.
    They stock stands that are manufactured by the supplier of my stand.
    No chance of finding that out.
    I then mulled over the option of just getting a 50 inch, that might fit on the stand.
    Although I couldnt be sure that a different make of TV would fit, and I wasnt buying another Panasonic.

Plan C, was getting rid of the stand, and buying another one.
    So I logged into Oak Furniture Land.
    They stock quite a number of TV stands.
    Although some are on 17 weeks delivery.
    I found one that was suitable, and on 7 days delivery.
    I ordered it.
    It will be delivered in 2 weeks.

Plan D, back to the TV.
    I read a couple of reviews, that agreed that a Hisense U8K was probably the best value for money on the market.
    I logged back into Currys.
    They have a similar deal on a TV, and soundbar purchased together.
    Although they seem a bit more efficient than John Lewis, as they deliver the soundbar first.
    So I have order the Hisense, and saved £1400, on what I was going to pay for the Samsung, and soundbar.
    £1100 after the Samsung cash back.
    I requested delivery for the day after the stand arrives.
    The soundbar arrives today.

Oak Furniture Land have since offered me an earlier delivery date, and are now delivering a week tomorrow.
    The TV is due on the Friday after, so I now have a bit of leeway.

I hope it lasts for a bit, I dont want to go through this again anytime soon.
    I will be sticking with Sky Q for the foreseeable.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,067
    edited February 11
    The ability to record may be a little bit illogical, as technological advances have, in some senses, made it redundant.

But there is still a certain sense of ownership in record/record & keep. In much the same way as CDs have an ownership quality that the loan via Spotify etc cannot match, however convenient they are in the short-term.

I can see lots of advantages to Sky in Sky Stream-they can save costs on engineers. But I think the attraction for customers is only for people new to the market. I'm sticking with Q until Sky make it financially unattractive to remain on Q. I'm not sure that will be in the short-term-simply because the average age of people currently with Q does not lend itself to trying to force a streaming service as an alternative-they need every customer they can get.

Stands can be really light now, as today's TVs weigh a fraction of they did 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

The ability to record may be a little bit illogical, as technological advances have, in some senses, made it redundant.

But there is still a certain sense of ownership in record/record & keep. In much the same way as CDs have an ownership quality that the loan via Spotify etc cannot match, however convenient they are in the short-term.

I can see lots of advantages to Sky in Sky Stream-they can save costs on engineers. But I think the attraction for customers is only for people new to the market. I'm sticking with Q until Sky make it financially unattractive to remain on Q. I'm not sure that will be in the short-term-simply because the average age of people currently with Q does not lend itself to trying to force a streaming service as an alternative-they need every customer they can get.

Stands can be really light now, as today's TVs weigh a fraction of they did 20 years ago.

Yeah, I am all sorted now.
    At least I hope I am.
    People generally hate change.

The other thing to consider is that stream also requires a higher speed broadband.
    I am not sure that this is available throughout the UK.
    Assuming it is, it will also commit stream users to a more expensive broadband deal than they may wish to choose.
    Sky have recently increased the speed that they advise for the efficient use of stream.

I was surprised by the nonsense over the soundbars.
    DPD have just sent me an email to say they will deliver the soundbar between 1 and 2pm today.
    Currys will be sending 2 blokes out in a van, a week next Friday to deliver and set up the new TV.
    Despite this they have contracted a carrier to deliver the soundbar.

• Options
    edited February 11
    Essexphil said:

As far as stands go, I was happy with the quality.
    If you dropped a nuclear bomb on my house, I would expect the stand to be there amongst the rubble, intact, and without a scratch on it.
    I will be sorry to see the back of it.
    The new one is more of a cabinet than a TV stand.

Old One.

New One.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

The minimum broadband speed for Sky Glass and Sky Stream is 25Mbps12. This applies even for HD streaming1. If you intend to use more than one Sky Glass / Sky Stream device at the same time, or if you want to stream in 4K, Sky recommends a broadband speed of 30Mbps1. If your broadband speed is lower than the minimum requirement, using Sky Stream might clog up your internet connection, leaving little bandwidth for anyone else in your home2.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,173
    edited February 11
    SKY Stream works fine off Superfast Broadband (65mbps)

I'm getting used to it, and use the Playlist feature instead of recordings.

Only things I don't really like is the fact that the LIVE action is about 30 seconds behind !! ......which would be absolutely useless if I was betting 'whilst horses were running '

....and I can't get a couple of channels on SKY Stream 'coz they are 3rd Party channels ( RacingTV being one of them), so I have to watch that on computer
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,597
    MISTY4ME said:

Only things I don't really like is the fact that the LIVE action is about 30 seconds behind !! ......which would be absolutely useless if I was betting 'whilst horses were running '

....and I can't get a couple of channels on SKY Stream 'coz they are 3rd Party channels ( RacingTV being one of them), so I have to watch that on computer

You should have paid the extra for Sky SUPER Stream where you get the action 30 seconds before they occur. Works wonders with the races.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

My point was just that when you come to renew your broadband, you are less likely to get a cheap deal, which usually apply to the less fast broadband.
  • Options
    tai-gar said:

MISTY4ME said:

You should have paid the extra for Sky SUPER Stream where you get the action 30 seconds before they occur. Works wonders with the races.
    He wont pay extra.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

My point was just that when you come to renew your broadband, you are less likely to get a cheap deal, which usually apply to the less fast broadband.
    I just had a quick look.
    Now currently have a deal on for £20 per month.
    But it is only 11 Mbps.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

MISTY4ME said:

He wont pay extra.

I defo would for that !!

:D:D
  • Options
    According to the SKY Stream deal I'm on.....I get Superfast B'band (65mbps) billed at £13 per month :)<3o:)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

According to the SKY Stream deal I'm on.....I get Superfast B'band (65mbps) billed at £13 per month :)<3o:) </p>

Everybody this side of Aberdeen knows that.
    Your contract will end.
    When it ends you will still have Sky stream.
    To run Sky stream on 2 screens you will need 30Mbps.
    Therefore when you come to renew, the Now cheap deal will be no good to you.
    Yet it might be, if you didnt have Sky stream.
  • Options
    SKY Stream contract runs out at the same time ...... you can always vote with your feet to get the best deal.

I've always had Superfast Broadband...... on my last deal with TalkTalk I only paid £18 per month. There's always a deal to be had somewhere ;)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

SKY Stream contract runs out at the same time ...... you can always vote with your feet to get the best deal.

I've always had Superfast Broadband...... on my last deal with TalkTalk I only paid £18 per month. There's always a deal to be had somewhere ;)

You should start a website.
    You could rival Martin Lewis.

I thought that the point I was making, was quite easy to understand.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Oops.

Global web icon
    Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_United_Kingdom
    Internet in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
    As of 2 May 2020, 96.9% of UK households can receive "superfast broadband" which is defined as 30 Mbit/s and 19.29% of UK households can receive gigabit speeds, either via FTTP or DOCSIS 3.1. While 1.07% of UK households currently have broadband that's slower than the legal USO. See more

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Oops.

Global web icon
    Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_the_United_Kingdom
    Internet in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia
    As of 2 May 2020, 96.9% of UK households can receive "superfast broadband" which is defined as 30 Mbit/s and 19.29% of UK households can receive gigabit speeds, either via FTTP or DOCSIS 3.1. While 1.07% of UK households currently have broadband that's slower than the legal USO. See more

24th February 2022
    Superfast 35 is available for an intro offer price of £25 per month on an 18-month contract from launch – 24th February 2022, with a standard set-up fee of £19.95.
    Sky Broadband launches new Superfast package with speeds of 3…
    www.skygroup.sky/article/sky-broadband-launches-new-superfast-package-with-speeds-of-35-mb-s
    www.skygroup.sky/article/sky-broadband-launches-new-superfast-package-with …
  • Options
    Cornwall was one of the first places where Superfast Broadband was launched

....starting in 2011

https://www.superfastcornwall.org/our-journey-so-far

I did actually mean that we've had Superfast Broadband ever since it's been available mainstream,
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Cornwall was one of the first places where Superfast Broadband was launched

....starting in 2011

https://www.superfastcornwall.org/our-journey-so-far

I did actually mean that we've had Superfast Broadband ever since it's been available mainstream,

The price you pay for your broadband, I am surprised they dont give you a bike to pedal, to keep it going.