You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Stream/Sky Glass-The Future Of TV.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,347
    Sky Glass is Not a Good Television
    It’s an alluring, convenient and high-spec package, but Sky Glass has more than a few issues with picture quality.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sky-glass-tv-review
  • Options
    edited January 20
    Sky Stream puck review: is the dish-free streaming device worth the hype?

My only bugbear - and it is a biggie - is the price. For a one-woman household, it’s around £10 pricier than my usual monthly diet of Netflix and Prime Video packages, and that’s just for basic Sky Stream. The add-on Sky subscriptions (like Atlantic, Sports, Cinema) will push up the price a lot more. That's a turn-off.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/shopping/sky-stream-puck-review-is-the-dish-free-streaming-device-worth-the-hype/ar-AA1nc9ie?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=34c818a989fd43e38f6c76ab4566516f&ei=60
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sorry-got lost there.

What is it?

My Sky bill increased by £8 this month.
    It increases by a further £6.39 in February.
    The £8 increase is made up of them allowing less discounts on a few bits.
    Sky signature has gone up £3.
    Sky Cinema £4.
    Sky multiscreen £1.
    The £6.39 in February is in respect of HD, which they are currently not charging me for.
    They are very slippery.

Apparently if I take off the HD, which I am not bothered about, I can only have Netflix on one screen, which I am bothered about.

I am going to have to have a chat with them.
    Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.
    Have you looked at Sky stream?
    I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.
    You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?
    On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

Whereas on Stream you can only watch programmes when Sky decide you can. And Box sets regularly disappear for months on end, or transfer to a different provider.
    Also, I have had a number of my recordings disappear from my Sky Q, where a provider has designated that a particular programme will only be available for a particular period.
    The smarter TV
    Only Sky Glass puts a world of TV at your instant voice command. Find anything in a flash, create an endless playlist, store recordings in the cloud, restart shows on any channel, and discover more with intelligent recommendations. It’s next level easy.

Explore Playlist and recordings
    Recordings,
    only better
    Playlist your favourite shows across apps, channels, the TV guide and on demand. Past, present and future. Simply press ‘+’ to create your endless personal Playlist.

Start,
    from the start

Never miss a moment with Restart. No matter what channel you’re watching, restart it from the beginning. You can even skip through the bits you don’t want to watch. Sorted.

Recorded,
    saved, sorted

With Playlist, you can record shows from Sky, TNT Sports, Alibi, Gold, Kids, and more. Or you can save a show to watch for later using the BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and All4 apps. And it’s all in the cloud. So no need to worry about storage or clashes.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    HAYSIE said:

Sky Signature 10 Mar - 9 Apr £19.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Mar - 9 Apr £6.00

Sky Cinema 10 Mar - 9 Apr £9.00

Sky HD 10 Mar - 9 Apr £0.00

Multiscreen 10 Mar - 9 Apr £11.00

Total Payment £45.00

Sky Signature, 10 Apr - 9 May £21.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Apr - 9 May, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Apr - 9 May, £9.00

Sky HD, 10 Apr - 9 May, £0.00

Multiscreen, 10 Apr - 9 May, £11.00

Total bill £48.

Dec 2023
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £24.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £13.00

Sky HD, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £0.00

Multiscreen, 10 Dec - 9 Jan, £12.00

Total bill £56.

10th Mar 2024
    TV

Sky Signature, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £24.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £13.00

Sky HD, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £6.39

Multiscreen, 10 Mar - 9 Apr, £12.00

Total bill £62.39.

Sky Signature 10 Apr - 9 May £24.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Apr - 9 May £7.00

Sky Cinema 10 Apr - 9 May £13.00

Sky HD 10 Apr - 9 May £9.00

Multiscreen 10 Apr - 9 May £12.00

Total £65.00
  • Options
    bbMike said:

I’ve just switched to Sky Stream with a couple of extra pucks around the house.

It’s quite good that the playlists remember where you are across the account but a bit rubbish that you can’t set up different accounts if you’re watching the same shows at different paces. The other issue is that the audio seems to very rarely be output in 5.1 presumably because it’s taking content from catch up services which are using the lower definition.

UPDATE: Sky has announced that its personalisation features are arriving in a big update starting from 1 February 2023. The updates, which make up part of the firm’s Entertainment OS 1.1 update, improve various parts of the the Sky Stream UI, and include the addition of the long-awaited Personalised Playlist feature.

This allows users to create up to five personal playlists, one for each member of the family, and a further universal playlist that everyone can add to.

In addition to the personal playlist, there will be a new “Cast & Crew rail” on Show pages that allow you to see what other movies and TV shows the show’s actors and directors have been involved in.

There’s a new voice command, too. Say “Play The Last of Us” and Sky Stream should pick up where you left off. You can also highlight what you want to watch onscreen, hold the voice button down and say “Play” instead of clicking on the remote.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/1417180/sky-stream-review
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,877
    HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

It’s quite good that the playlists remember where you are across the account but a bit rubbish that you can’t set up different accounts if you’re watching the same shows at different paces. The other issue is that the audio seems to very rarely be output in 5.1 presumably because it’s taking content from catch up services which are using the lower definition.

UPDATE: Sky has announced that its personalisation features are arriving in a big update starting from 1 February 2023. The updates, which make up part of the firm’s Entertainment OS 1.1 update, improve various parts of the the Sky Stream UI, and include the addition of the long-awaited Personalised Playlist feature.

This allows users to create up to five personal playlists, one for each member of the family, and a further universal playlist that everyone can add to.

In addition to the personal playlist, there will be a new “Cast & Crew rail” on Show pages that allow you to see what other movies and TV shows the show’s actors and directors have been involved in.

There’s a new voice command, too. Say “Play The Last of Us” and Sky Stream should pick up where you left off. You can also highlight what you want to watch onscreen, hold the voice button down and say “Play” instead of clicking on the remote.

@HAYSIE

That link is dated 21 Dec 2023 but refers to "a big update starting from 1 February 2023"

Do they mean 2024?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

That link is dated 21 Dec 2023 but refers to "a big update starting from 1 February 2023"

Do they mean 2024?
    I thought that after I posted it.
    The reason I posted it was because I thought the update may have overcome Mikes playlist problem, but obviously not if it occurred in Feb 23.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    @MISTY4ME just had a deal on Sky stream.
    Sky entertainment, plus Netflix, plus superfast broadband for £36 per month.
    Sky are very slippery.
    You may, or may not, have noticed that he was recently missing in action for 3 weeks.
    This was subsequent to him moving house.
    The reason for his absence was that he incredibly believed that he could move in, plug his router in, and away to go.
    The result was no internet or TV for 3 weeks.
    I will refrain from making any comment.
    Needless to say the circumstances have not been widely publicised.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.
    You may, or may not, have noticed that he was recently missing in action for 3 weeks.
    The reason for his absence was that he incredibly believed that he could move in, plug his router in, and away to go.
    There was a time when a contract actually meant something, and that if you had a contract for x amount per month, then that is all you would be required to pay.
    Not anymore, Sky tell you up front that they can increase prices during the contracted period.
    And they do.
    In my case, almost a 50% increase in just over 12 months.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,173
    edited January 23
    HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.
    The main reason for the delay was because the Line had been switched off because no one had been in the property for 3 months (apparently this happens automatically I was told) but meant we had to wait for an OpenReach engineers appointment to restore and check the line, which over Xmas and New Year isn't the best time to be in the queue.

The engineer did say that if the line had still been active, then our broadband Provider would have been able to start up our Broadband remotely almost straightaway.

Has anyone else who has moved house, been able to get Broadband at their new property, pretty much straightaway ? :*

The best thing about what happened is that I think I've got a GREAT Deal (even if prices do increase slightly during my Contract.....if they increased by 50% as TONY's @HAYSIE 's have...... I would no longer carry on with SKY)

It took a week or so, but I also learned that I could download shows to my computer to watch offline, which we did from the internet at the Holiday Properties we look after :)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.
    The main reason for the delay was because the Line had been switched off

Doesnt everyone switch off their broadband when they move?

because no one had been in the property for 3 months (apparently this happens automatically I was told) but meant we had to wait for an OpenReach engineers appointment to restore and check the line, which over Xmas and New Year isn't the best time to be in the queue.

So they couldnt just switch it back on?
    Do you think that might have been just a pitch?

The engineer did say that if the line had still been active, then our broadband Provider would have been able to start up our Broadband remotely almost straightaway.

Surely for the line to be still active would have meant that the previous tenants would have to be still connected, and still paying for their broadband?

Has anyone else who has moved house, been able to get Broadband at their new property, pretty much straightaway ? :*

The best thing about what happened is that I think I've got a GREAT Deal (even if prices do increase slightly during my Contract.....if they increased by 50% as TONY's @HAYSIE 's have...... I would no longer carry on with SKY)

That might be difficult if you were still under contract.

It took a week or so, but I also learned that I could download shows to my computer to watch offline, which we did from the internet at the Holiday Properties we look after :)
    Well done, have you thought about YouTube lectures?

• Options
    edited January 24
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.
    The main reason for the delay was because the Line had been switched off because no one had been in the property for 3 months (apparently this happens automatically I was told) but meant we had to wait for an OpenReach engineers appointment to restore and check the line, which over Xmas and New Year isn't the best time to be in the queue.

That is an interesting point, I am not certain of how they would react if you refused to continue paying them mid contract.
    Although one thing is for certain is that you would never be going back to Sky for anything in the future.
    They do publish a list of charges that you are liable for if you cancel while the contract is still running.

https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/blte41c6c35c3da9f0f/6479b26424b32407dbdaf4bc/download?disposition=inline

I am not sure whether or not they would take you to the County Court to recover these charges.
    This would obviously damage your credit rating, assuming it could be damaged.
    Your credit history might have a bearing on whether they would bother taking you to the County Court or not.
    I am also not sure about the communications that go on behind the scenes, between providers.
    For instance, if you approached say BT to connect your broadband.
    There would be some contact between them and Sky.
    So if Sky told BT that your were refusing to pay them 9 months into an 18 month contract.
    Would BT still enter into a contract with you, if you hadnt paid Sky?
    Who knows.
    Although I cant see them being keen to take on what they may consider to be, a dodgy new customer.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.

Sounds like a good job.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.

Netflix password crackdown fuels sign-up surge

Netflix sign-ups boomed at the end of last year as customers prodded by the firm's crackdown on password-sharing created their own accounts.

The streaming giant added more than 13.1 million subscriptions in the three months ended in December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68072955
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

@HAYSIE

Do they mean 2024?
    Sky are very slippery.

Sky Glass 43", Sky TV & Netflix
    All your favourite shows in one place on the Sky Glass 4K TV. 0% APR

Available in:

S
    43"
    Small - 43" - 43"
    M
    55"
    Medium - 55" - 55"
    L
    65"
    Large - 65" - 65"
    Ceramic white
    Dusky pink
    Racing green
    Ocean blue
    Anthracite Black
    You'll get:
    - 3 months Sky Entertainment & Netflix on us
    - Sky Glass 4K TV with Dolby Atmos sound
    - No dish. No messy wires. Everything built in

From £14 a month for 3 months
    (then £40 a month)

43” Sky Glass on 48m interest free loan. Upfront fee from £10. Subject to status & credit check. 18-month contract. Prices may change during this period. New Sky Glass customers only.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    HD

Get closer to the action & see the difference with HD

Five times better detail than Standard Definition
    Now,£0 a month for 3 months

£9 a month thereafter. 31 days’ notice to cancel. Requires Sky Signature
  • Options
    Ultra HD

Watch your favourite shows, movies and sports in crystal clear detail- feel closer to the action than ever before

Four times better detail than HD
    Now,£0 a month for 3 months

£4 a month thereafter. 31 days’ notice to cancel. Requires Sky Signature and HD pack
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Total Payment £45.00

Sky Signature, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £21.00

Ultimate TV Add on, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £7.00

Sky Cinema, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £9.00

Sky HD, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £0.00

Multiscreen, 10 Nov - 9 Dec, £11.00

Total bill £48.

Dec 2023
    TV

Total bill £56.

10th Mar 2024
    TV

Total bill £62.39.

Total £65.00
    Spoke to them this morning it is now,

Sky Signature £22.00

Ultimate TV Add on 10 Apr - 9 May £4.00

Sky Cinema 10 Apr - 9 May £10.00

Sky HD 10 Apr - 9 May £0.00

Multiscreen 10 Apr - 9 May £14.00

Total £50.00

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,065
    edited January 25
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Total Payment £45.00

Total bill £48.

Dec 2023
    TV

Total bill £56.

10th Mar 2024
    TV

Total bill £62.39.

Total £65.00

Sky Signature £22.00

Total £50.00

Taken a long time.

But you have now received a decent offer.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Total Payment £45.00

Total bill £48.

Dec 2023
    TV

Total bill £56.

10th Mar 2024
    TV

Total bill £62.39.

Total £65.00

Sky Signature £22.00

Total £50.00

Taken a long time.

But you have now received a decent offer.
    Yeah I chatted with a bloke on line before Christmas, but it took ages, and I had to go out.
    Phoned them this morning, and the person I spoke seemed to have a completely different attitude.
    Some of the nonsense I was told before Christmas had disappeared this morning.
    The bloke before Christmas claimed he was doing me a fantastic deal at £64 per month, saving me a whole pound.
    I was paying £48 per month last April, so £50 on an 18 mth contract seems fair enough.
    I thought £4 per month for Netflix is reasonable.
    As is £10 per month for Cinema, and Paramount+.
    I have no choice in the case of the multiscreen.
    Unless I decided to watch every soap under the sun.
    The thought of that sends shivers down my spine, so I will be sticking with the multiscreen, what a bargain.
    I would have paid £50 per month just for that.