You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Sky Stream/Sky Glass-The Future Of TV.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,142
    HENDRIK62 said:

I have the sky glass tv (65") with 'now tv' internet and a dodgy firestick in total it costs £68 incl payments for the TV, it cost me £114 for internet and broadband with Virgin...

As @green_beer says the Virgin internet is much better but the customer service was abysmal and they weren't nearly as good to deal with as Sky (i did have Sky Internet before virgin and it was ok, now tv is Sky)

The TV works fine for me, we rarely record anything so it doesn't really affect me, all in all I am very happy with it, may look at changing the broadband provider though next year

I will probably leave it until after Christmas.
    I had a row with Sky over my internet.
    I was with Now, and Sky gave me some old b0llocks about not being able to port my landline number.
    This was because Now is owned by Sky.
    I then went to Vodafone which was a disaster, though this related to the landline, rather than the broadband.
    I had so many problems, they let me out of my contract.
    I am now with BT.
    So far so good (touch wood).
    I have only just taken out the contract with BT, so I will be there for a bit.
    I probably will get the Sky glass in the new year.

There are a couple of things I need to check.
    Like what programmes you can get if your internet was down.
    How the cloud storage works, and which channels it is applicable for.
    How the playlist works.
    I hate paying for the multiroom, and HD.
    If I could get away with not paying for them I would probably buy 2 Sky glass TVs, as long as I only had to pay one subscription.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

And in today's surprise news, @HAYSIE wrote....

"I had a row with Sky over my internet."
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148

unless you connect the TV to an aerial none I think

any paid for channels, but it will only store links to their apps like the playlist

How the playlist works.

You have a list of favourites that play in the app they are from (this can be a problem if the app loses the contract for them or stops showing the show)

No way round these I am afraid (blame Ryanair, headline price but once you add up all the add ons etc......) Glass has an option to add puck/pucks its all the same monthly cost but you pay for each additional puck

If I could get away with not paying for them I would probably buy 2 Sky glass TVs, as long as I only had to pay one subscription.

without the puck you couldn't watch paid channels, the TV is good as it has a built in soundbar but there are definitely better options that could be used with the puck for your second TV as I hardly ever use the voice control etc.

One anomaly when i got mine (not sure if it still applies or not), it was actually cheaper to pay the TV over 12 or 18 months than buy it outright, I assume the thinking behind was that you are more likely to keep the tv package if you are paying up the TV?
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

any paid for channels, but it will only store links to their apps like the playlist

How the playlist works.

You have a list of favourites that play in the app they are from (this can be a problem if the app loses the contract for them or stops showing the show)

No way round these I am afraid (blame Ryanair, headline price but once you add up all the add ons etc......) Glass has an option to add puck/pucks its all the same monthly cost but you pay for each additional puck

without the puck you couldn't watch paid channels, the TV is good as it has a built in soundbar but there are definitely better options that could be used with the puck for your second TV as I hardly ever use the voice control etc.

One anomaly when i got mine (not sure if it still applies or not), it was actually cheaper to pay the TV over 12 or 18 months than buy it outright, I assume the thinking behind was that you are more likely to keep the tv package if you are paying up the TV?

Thanks for that.
    If I had 2 TVs, I wouldnt need any pucks?
    Would no pucks mean no multiroom charges?
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

And in today's surprise news, @HAYSIE wrote....

"I had a row with Sky over my internet."

In this case I think it was justified.
    Sky have a rule that they wont port a number from one Sky account to another.
    They finally explained this after not turning up twice, to install my broadband.
    As my account was with with Now, a Sky owned company, they refused to port my number, which I have had for about 30 years.
    The guy that explained it to me said that he had two kids in school.
    Their mobiles were with Sky, but in his name, obviously.
    He said that when they became old enough to have their own accounts, he would have to transfer the accounts elsewhere, as Sky would not port the numbers from one Sky account to another.
    So his kids will have to open accounts elsewhere, port the numbers, then go back to Sky after their contracts run out.
    Silly.
    The only reason for having this rule would seem to be, stopping existing customers taking advantage of offers that are restricted to new customers.
  • Options
    Sky customers can get 6-months of Sky Sports and Netflix for free in £14 TV deal

After the first three months, the package goes up to £40 for the next three months. Then, the remainder of the 18-month contract will cost £65 a month.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsmanchester/sky-customers-can-get-6-months-of-sky-sports-and-netflix-for-free-in-14-tv-deal/ar-AA1lT7Hp?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=46a2de8ab43c48e1b7c069d508d9f5c4&ei=105
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    Thanks for that.

If you did this you would have to pay £14 for each subscription as in effect you have 2 so it would be cheaper getting a puck.

Think of the TVs as being totally separate purchases from the service subscription.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Thanks for that.

If you did this you would have to pay £14 for each subscription as in effect you have 2 so it would be cheaper getting a puck.

Think of the TVs as being totally separate purchases from the service subscription.

Its a puck then.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

How the playlist works.

Sky has also reassured customers that in the event of a broadband drop out the TV is fitted with a Freeview tuner so you'll have access to live TV.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/10/sky-customers-can-say-good-bye-to-the-set-top-box-with-sky-glass/
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

How the playlist works.

Do you have to pay £5 per month to allow you to fast forward through adverts?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sorry-got lost there.

What is it?

My Sky bill increased by £8 this month.
    It increases by a further £6.39 in February.
    The £8 increase is made up of them allowing less discounts on a few bits.
    Sky signature has gone up £3.
    Sky Cinema £4.
    Sky multiscreen £1.
    The £6.39 in February is in respect of HD, which they are currently not charging me for.
    They are very slippery.

Apparently if I take off the HD, which I am not bothered about, I can only have Netflix on one screen, which I am bothered about.

I am going to have to have a chat with them.
    Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.
    Have you looked at Sky stream?
    I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.
    You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?
    On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

I record loads of programmes, but usually watch them within a reasonable time span.
    For example I might record a series which is aired one episode at a time, but I will usually watch the full series soon after it has finished.
    My understanding is that with Sky glass around a 1,000 hours can be stored in the cloud from a selection of, but not all channels.

Whereas on Stream you can only watch programmes when Sky decide you can. And Box sets regularly disappear for months on end, or transfer to a different provider.
    I think that the majority of channels allow you access to a particular programme for 12 months.
    Where a particular programme transfers to a different provider, you would still have access, assuming the new provider is included in your package.
    You can also access various programmes through the apps.
    For example a number of BBC programmes that are no longer available on Sky, can be accessed via the iPlayer.
    The playlist seems to be more efficient in some respects, in that it will search every provider for every episode of any programme that you wish to access.
    I can only assume that box sets only disappear after say 12 months, to provide storage space for new programmes.
    Although it is not unusual for them to reappear from time to time.

BEST Sky Glass settings & Dolby Atmos demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4CimIBC6g
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Thanks for that.

Sky Multiroom
    What if you want to watch Sky Glass in a room that doesn’t have a snazzy new television in it? Well, a small device called a ‘Sky Stream puck’ has got you covered.

These dainty devices enable you to watch all of the Sky channels you’re signed up to in other rooms of the home, connecting to your TV via an HDMI cable and expanding your ability to stream throughout the home.

A maximum of six Stream pucks can be used, alongside up to three Sky Glass TVs when subscribed to a ‘Whole Home’ monthly subscription of £10. This is in addition to the one-off fee of £50 for each puck.

https://www.uswitch.com/tv/guides/sky-glass-review/
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Thanks for that.

This could be handy.

BEST Sky Glass settings & Dolby Atmos demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4CimIBC6g
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Sorry-got lost there.

What is it?

My Sky bill increased by £8 this month.
    It increases by a further £6.39 in February.
    The £8 increase is made up of them allowing less discounts on a few bits.
    Sky signature has gone up £3.
    Sky Cinema £4.
    Sky multiscreen £1.
    The £6.39 in February is in respect of HD, which they are currently not charging me for.
    They are very slippery.

Apparently if I take off the HD, which I am not bothered about, I can only have Netflix on one screen, which I am bothered about.

I am going to have to have a chat with them.
    Best chance is to do this quickly. Generally, Sky give their best offers in December-suspect it is their (financial) year end. In return for agreeing to a new 18 month contract, likely to get a decent discount.
    Have you looked at Sky stream?
    I have.

And, at least for now, it is not for me.

I like to record programmes. I like to choose to "own" things, rather than rent them.

But it may well go like music, where effectively you have little choice but to allow these people to exert more control over what you are allowed to watch.
    You have probably noticed that I have started a thread on this now.
    Dont really understand your ownership comment.
    Doesnt what you are allowed to watch depend on the package you purchase?
    On Sky Q, if you record & keep, you can watch it whenever you like.

I record loads of programmes, but usually watch them within a reasonable time span.
    For example I might record a series which is aired one episode at a time, but I will usually watch the full series soon after it has finished.
    My understanding is that with Sky glass around a 1,000 hours can be stored in the cloud from a selection of, but not all channels.

Whereas on Stream you can only watch programmes when Sky decide you can. And Box sets regularly disappear for months on end, or transfer to a different provider.
    I think that the majority of channels allow you access to a particular programme for 12 months.
    Where a particular programme transfers to a different provider, you would still have access, assuming the new provider is included in your package.
    You can also access various programmes through the apps.
    For example a number of BBC programmes that are no longer available on Sky, can be accessed via the iPlayer.
    The playlist seems to be more efficient in some respects, in that it will search every provider for every episode of any programme that you wish to access.
    I can only assume that box sets only disappear after say 12 months, to provide storage space for new programmes.
    Although it is not unusual for them to reappear from time to time.

Sky Glass Review - 6 months later | An up-to-date look at Sky's all-in-one smart TV and streaming service

Sky Glass - our verdict
    Even in our brief time with the TV, Sky Glass has impressed us. Constantly evolving in its infancy via frequent updates, adding more apps and tweaks almost constantly.

Sky Glass serves as a bold and exciting glimpse into a world of content convergence, bringing the best of competing services into a compelling whole, all the while lowering the barrier to entry for the casual consumer.

For those less technically inclined, opting for an all-in-one experience - all paid for via a subscription model - is an interesting prospect.

That being said, making the most of Sky Glass could be costly on a monthly basis if opting for all the bells and whistles of Ultra HD, and the core visual and audio experience isn’t quite toe-to-toe with the best manufacturers in the space - an admirable initial effort nevertheless.

So it’s an innovative first effort from Sky to forge ahead in the future of TV, and it’ll be interesting to see if this product stops the flow of cord-cutters moving away from their dish and seeking more from their humble telly.

Interface

Immediate impressions are that the Sky Glass interface is truly a thing of beauty, iterating on the impressive Sky Q interface and putting many premium televisions to shame in terms of both speed and cohesiveness.

With slick transition animations throughout, there is rarely any lag or stutter waiting for menus to open which is rife amongst rival smart TVs and streaming sticks alike.

Huge high-resolution images punctuate every menu, with smooth visual flourishes when changing between screens and crisp, clear text making the entire interface easy to read.

The most apparent thing is Sky’s bid to end the ‘fragmented’ viewing experience of old with Glass.

No longer is content confined to its own app. The home screen seamlessly displays Disney’s Cruella, nestled between Chris Pratt in The Tomorrow War on Prime Video and Dwayne Johnson in Netflix’s Red Notice, with all of them just a button press away.

Provided you’ve downloaded the requisite apps and signed into your streaming services through Glass, this makes for a refreshing vision where you don’t have to worry about figuring out which platform your favourite series is on. It’s all in one place and you can just get down to the business of watching what you want.
    Perfect for @Tikay10

Deeper personalisation comes with the playlist. If you want to follow a programme, simply press the ‘+’ button and Glass brings all related content regarding that show into one place, even if it spans multiple streaming services. Pretty amazing and another step towards an integrated viewing experience!

https://www.uswitch.com/tv/guides/sky-glass-review/
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475
    edited December 2023
    "Perfect for @Tikay10"

Thanks @HAYSIE but it all sounds way too complicated for me.
  • Options
    Sky Glass review: Sky’s streaming TV is much improved 21 Dec 2023

Sky’s first TV marries 4K streaming with decent audio output and now – thanks to updates – good picture quality, too

This is an updated version of our original Sky Glass review, in which we awarded the TV three stars. After a series of updates to the television’s user interface and picture quality, we’ve upped the star rating and added a well-deserved Recommended award.

Sky Glass is a big product for the UK satellite TV giant. Not only is it the first TV the company has built, it’s also the first time Sky has produced a streaming-only product without compromising streaming quality and features.

As such, it needs to be good. It needs to be good enough to persuade customers to ditch their old TV and trusty Sky Q box and replace them with one device that does it all. It also needs to be good enough to persuade non-Sky subscribers that this is the time to jump on board.

After a false start, it’s finally beginning to deliver on its promise. Sky Glass still can’t quite compete with Sky Q for content and versatility, or standalone TVs and soundbars for image and audio quality, but improvements to the user interface and, most importantly, picture quality since launch have elevated it from also-ran to a genuinely attractive alternative.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/1414653/sky-glass-review