You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

General Election

Comments

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,966
    dropped offwoke up to hear girlfriend muttering angry and upset as lee anderson was declared winning his seat. A future pm sadly probably takes over from farage to lead reform in two to three elections/ gov time.

the we must stand and fight reed elliot from scrubs lady just lost her seat. (penny mordunt)
    labour only need 19 more seats then it is official
    labour officially win now just passed the 326 mark

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,854
    edited July 5
    Tories lose record number of Cabinet ministers in punishing election

Grant Shapps
    Penny Mordaunt
    Alex Chalk
    Gillian Keegan
    Lucy Frazer
    Johnny Mercer
    Michelle Donelan
    Simon Hart
    Sir Robert Buckland
    Sir Michael Fabricant
    Jonathan Gullis
    Dame Therese Coffey
    Sir Simon Clarke
    Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg
    David TC Davies
    Liz Truss

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/portillo-moments-tory-ministers-lost-033911408.html
    lucy4 said:

Car crash T.V with Nadine Dorries on Channel 4 election special.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7phoyBA-fPg
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,686
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Car crash T.V with Nadine Dorries on Channel 4 election special.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/7phoyBA-fPg
    That was just one of the many exchanges between the pair, she was definitely on one last night and the wine from what I saw, no wonder she's got the nickname of 'Mad Nads' She's still at it this morning, I would've thought she'd be nursing a hang over :D

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1809120310458724579

Emily Maitlis, "You are funny, let's be honest. You call David Cameron a posh boy but Boris Johnson has been to the exact same school and had the same upbringing, is absolutely fine"

Nadine Dorries, "No no no, I have to address that"

Emily Maitlis, "They're all very privileged people, but somehow you chose the one you love"

Nadine Dorries, "Noooo.. Boris Johnson had no money growing up.. He knows what hardship is like"

Krishnan Guru-Murthy, "He went to Eton, what are you talking about"

Nadine Dorries, "He went on a scholarship"

Rory Stewart, "No he didn't"
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,503
    edited July 5
    Essexphil said:

In terms of numbers of seats, the likeliest outcome is:-

1. Labour
    2. Conservatives
    3. Lib Dems
    4. SNP
    5. Any one of Reform, Plaid Cymru, Sinn Fein or the DUP

So-who are the largest Parties in terms of seats? With just 4 seats to go, it is:-

1. Labour
    2. Conservatives
    3. Lib Dems
    4. SNP
    5. Sinn Fein
    6. Independent
    7. DUP
    8. Reform/Green/Plaid Cymru

Lots of fuss about Reform. Next to no seats.

And this tosh about Reform costing Conservative seats:-

(1) Offensive to say all Reform voters would vote Conservative
    (2) Why is it a vote for Reform supposedly costs Tory votes, yet a vote for other left-leaning Parties (such as Lib Dems, Greens and SNP) does not similarly impact upon number of Labour seats?
    (3) The increase in Reform votes is significant. But, in order to provide context, the old Brexit Party only stood in 275 seats at the last election. It did not campaign against Right Wing Tories then-so little wonder that there is a resultant swing now
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,412
    I hope for everybody's sake that Starmer proves to be a better leader of the Government than he was as leader of the opposition.

Labour got 34% of the vote yet a massive majority, probably 411 seats, (in 2019 the Tories got 44% of the vote and 365 seats for comparison), Lib Dems got 12% of the vote and 71 seats, Reform got 14% of the vote and 4 seats.

The ONLY thing that the Tories got right was that if you vote Reform you get Labour.

Sadly it is beyond hope that we get proportional representation. Imagine that, a system where every major decision has to be passed by a majority of MPs from across parties and where the makeup of those MPs truly reflects how the country voted, rather than one party dictating how the country is run irrespective of it not necessarily reflecting the opinion of the majority.

one moment i liked watching live was Sunuks seat when the candidates had to go to a certain area. Where rishi was between that bin face guy and the NIKO guy who is a youtuber who was just running for a laugh and a youtube video etc.

Like I dont like Sunuk and the idea of him taking this serious and getting terrible results and trying to be professional about been things and walking surrounded by clown candidates I found it funny it seemed like a scene out of the thick of it.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,944

Mr Sunak about to deliver a speech outside No 10. Hope he remembers a brolly this time.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,944

Mr Sunak says he'll resign as Conservative leader as soon as a successor is in place.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,503
    Enut said:

I hope for everybody's sake that Starmer proves to be a better leader of the Government than he was as leader of the opposition.

Labour got 34% of the vote yet a massive majority, probably 411 seats, (in 2019 the Tories got 44% of the vote and 365 seats for comparison), Lib Dems got 12% of the vote and 71 seats, Reform got 14% of the vote and 4 seats.

The ONLY thing that the Tories got right was that if you vote Reform you get Labour.

Sadly it is beyond hope that we get proportional representation. Imagine that, a system where every major decision has to be passed by a majority of MPs from across parties and where the makeup of those MPs truly reflects how the country voted, rather than one party dictating how the country is run irrespective of it not necessarily reflecting the opinion of the majority.

Valid points, certainly. But only 1 side of that particular coin. Simply because you are not comparing like with like.

In 2019 there were only 3 relevant parties in England (4 in Scotland/Wales). conservatives 14 million votes. Labour 10.2 million. Lib Dems 3.7 million. The Brexit Party got just under 650,000 votes-in part because it refused to campaign in hundreds of conservative seats. The leading 4 Parties were the Conservatives on the Right, followed by 3 Left-Wing Parties-Labour, Lib Dems and the SNP-both in terms of seats and votes.

Fast forward to 2024. There are now 4 Parties in England (5 in Scotland/Wales) with significant vote share. 2 Left of Centre. and 2 Right of Centre. Which is supposedly unfair, and has "skewed" the results.

People are entitled to vote for whoever they choose. People vote Reform because they want to. Just like votes for Lib Dems or Greens.

34% of a vote in a 4-way contest is a lot better than 34% on a 3-way contest. To use a poker analogy, getting your chips in with a 34% chance of trebling up is a lot different to a 34% chance of quadrupling up.

Proportional representation? Causes as many problems as it solves. As an example, Farage may well be right when he says his Party stopped the rise of the BNP. Better to have a minority of racists within Reform than a majority of racists in the BNP. But PR would change that.

Want to mention 2 things that I feel give considerable hope for the future.

Firstly, Swindon South. It was really good to see both the Labour winner genuinely praising the achievements of the outgoing Tory, and for him to respond in kind.

Secondly, the generosity of Rishi Sunak's speech in relation to Keir Starmer just now. A thoroughly decent man. Just not a leader of men. A lot like Gordon Brown
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,832
    The so called bad pennies keep turning up to make for interesting future politics.
    Surprise winners and losers in UK general election, from Greens to Reform UK

Surprise losers
    Liz Truss

The former prime minister was not widely expected to lose her South West Norfolk seat. However, she appears to have been punished for her disastrous seven-week tenure in No 10, which caused a crash in the financial markets. She was also caught up in wider swings across traditionally Tory East Anglia against the Conservatives and towards Labour, the Greens and Reform. Her majority of 26,000 was overturned, with Labour taking the seat by a slender margin. Other current and former cabinet ministers to lose their seats included Thérèse Coffey, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Gillian Keegan, Mark Harper, Grant Shapps, Penny Mordaunt, David TC Davies, and Alex Chalk.

Jonathan Ashworth
    The biggest and most shocking casualty for Labour of the night was its election campaign coordinator, Jonathan Ashworth. Few had predicted he would lose his Leicester South seat to the independent pro-Gaza candidate Shockat Adam. “This is for Gaza,” Adam said at the count. Another independent candidate made a surprise gain in Dewsbury and Batley, denying a seat to Labour’s Heather Iqbal, a former adviser to Rachel Reeves. The seat was won by Iqbal Mohamed, who campaigned on ending the war in Gaza. The Labour MP Kate Hollern was also ousted in Blackburn by independent Adnan Hussain.

Ian Paisley Jr
    The Democratic Unionist (DUP) party stalwart was replaced in North Antrim by Jim Allister, a candidate from the TUV, an even more pro-unionist party backed by Reform UK. The seat had been held by his family since 1970. It was a difficult night overall for the DUP, which has suffered following the Brexit deal that has proven unpopular in Northern Ireland, and its former leader Jeffrey Donaldson facing trial on 18 sexual offence charges. It is on track to lose three of its eight seats, which would leave Sinn Féin as the Northern Ireland party with most MPs.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/surprise-winners-losers-uk-general-065721561.html
    I am very surprised to see my constituency go labour it has been tory my entire live long before I was born even. It was not even close in the past either it was almost everyone was tory in my area. Tories usually won by a very large majority.

I could see it maybe happening as so many people I spoke to were hating on the tories and there were no tory flags but all labour. Labour won by a strong margin in my area as well so huge swing and total shock.

I guess the labour candidate for my area earned it he knocked my door multiple times unti he was sick of me, (shouldnt it be until I am sick of him I dunno)
    almost everyone I spoke to said they had, seen him at their door he must have spent weeks personally walking around all of the constituency knocking on every door which is insane because there were over 40,000 votes and that is with 62% turnout!!!

so that means he personally went round and tried to knock on doors for over 65000 potential voters obviously some voters live in the same property so that wont be 65k properties but in the tens of thousands and not just knocking each door once but mutliple times. He likely got a lot of blisters on his feet not sure if its an effective method to campaign or not but definitely a very determined and dedicated one.

Kudos I guess he earned it.