You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

General Election

Comments

• lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,686
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,854
    lucy4 said:

I would be happy to offer odds on some of them.
    It includes some that arent MPs, others that have lost their seat, or not Consertive Party members.
    Someone wasn't a happy bunny this morning... :D

Steve Baker, "I'm sad for our country because Labour are going to be a disaster.. I wanted to win this.. But for me personally, thank God I'm free.. It's over.. And I'm glad"

Clive Myrie, "Well that is a depressing way to end an interview Steve, thank you for that"

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1809140288020959237
    Carol Vorderman telling it like it is and ready to party.

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1809012230853411139

Carol Vorderman, "We've had 14 years of corruption, lies, gas lighting.. Two ex disgraced Tory Chancellors in the studio.. Nadine Dorries who barely turned up for her last year as an MP"

"Everybody out there is thinking: no more of the lies, the deceit, the corruption, the VIP PPE scandal, the betting scandal.. Who would ever think a government would be as ridiculous as this one"

Krishnan Guru-Murthy, "But what do you really think Carol? What motivated you?"

CV, "The lies.. Partygate.. The VIP PPE media lane.. Today people taking photos at the polling station saying: this is for you dad, we could not see him during covid restrictions"
    For those that are interested the twitter link below contains all of Channel 4 election coverage highlights, including 'Mad Nads' rants and raves, interviews and some generally great live T.V moments. I wished I had stuck with C4 throughout the night instead of flicking channels all the time.

https://x.com/implausibleblog
    lucy4 said:

Steve Baker, "I'm sad for our country because Labour are going to be a disaster.. I wanted to win this.. But for me personally, thank God I'm free.. It's over.. And I'm glad"

Clive Myrie, "Well that is a depressing way to end an interview Steve, thank you for that"

Full of himself last night.
    He is a d1ck.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,944
    lucy4 said:

@lucy4

Gotta love a gracious loser, eh?
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 577
    Enut said:

I hope for everybody's sake that Starmer proves to be a better leader of the Government than he was as leader of the opposition.

Labour got 34% of the vote yet a massive majority, probably 411 seats, (in 2019 the Tories got 44% of the vote and 365 seats for comparison), Lib Dems got 12% of the vote and 71 seats, Reform got 14% of the vote and 4 seats.

The ONLY thing that the Tories got right was that if you vote Reform you get Labour.

Sadly it is beyond hope that we get proportional representation. Imagine that, a system where every major decision has to be passed by a majority of MPs from across parties and where the makeup of those MPs truly reflects how the country voted, rather than one party dictating how the country is run irrespective of it not necessarily reflecting the opinion of the majority.

One peculiarity with this election has been the amount of tactical voting. Half of the people I know voted Lib Dem despite preferring Labour, since doing so maximised the chance of getting the Tories out of the safe seat they live in. That approach worked in my constituency.

I like idea of PR, but you would likely see even less progress being made in this country. Getting a voting majority of politicians to agree on any issue is problematic. With that said, we do need parties working together more. A good idea is a good idea, but the opposition will always oppose every idea for the sake of it. We also need parliamentary commitment for the medium and long term. By that, I mean large infrastructure programs are agreed for investment and will be completed, no matter who is in power.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,966
    Bean81 said:

Enut said:

I hope for everybody's sake that Starmer proves to be a better leader of the Government than he was as leader of the opposition.

Labour got 34% of the vote yet a massive majority, probably 411 seats, (in 2019 the Tories got 44% of the vote and 365 seats for comparison), Lib Dems got 12% of the vote and 71 seats, Reform got 14% of the vote and 4 seats.

The ONLY thing that the Tories got right was that if you vote Reform you get Labour.

Sadly it is beyond hope that we get proportional representation. Imagine that, a system where every major decision has to be passed by a majority of MPs from across parties and where the makeup of those MPs truly reflects how the country voted, rather than one party dictating how the country is run irrespective of it not necessarily reflecting the opinion of the majority.

One peculiarity with this election has been the amount of tactical voting. Half of the people I know voted Lib Dem despite preferring Labour, since doing so maximised the chance of getting the Tories out of the safe seat they live in. That approach worked in my constituency.

I like idea of PR, but you would likely see even less progress being made in this country. Getting a voting majority of politicians to agree on any issue is problematic. With that said, we do need parties working together more. A good idea is a good idea, but the opposition will always oppose every idea for the sake of it. We also need parliamentary commitment for the medium and long term. By that, I mean large infrastructure programs are agreed for investment and will be completed, no matter who is in power.
    I think its hard to know the effects of switching to proportional representation would be. I voted Labour to get the tories out. I routed for labour because it was a two horse race.

I do not feel great about labour but i felt furious towards the tories. I would have done a lot more research into other parties if we did not have first past the post. However there was no point because only one of two parties could have won in my constituency labour or tories. I was never voting tory or reform and I was always voting maybe I would have still voted labour concluding they were the best of a bad bunch but I cant help but feel that in a proportional representation system my vote would have gone elsewhere.

I think a very large number of people possibly even a majority of people would vote different in proportional representation. I also think parties that would be ignored and most people would know very little about would get much stronger support and interest in PR.

You cant just look at the numbers and say X% voted for this party and Y% for that party and Z% for this other party so if we had proportional representation it would result in a seat break down of etc etc because if we had proportional representation its very likely the % of the vote that parties got would be different anyway for better or worse.

Sunak sulked, Starmer soothed and Farage show was so shambolic it might have been run by chimpanzees

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rishi-body-yorkshire-already-california-181403334.html
    Defeated Tory MPs debate where it all went wrong - and how to save their Party

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/defeated-tory-mps-debate-where-170000644.html
    Give MPs final choice of next leader, say senior Tories

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mps-final-choice-next-leader-180856608.html
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,503
    edited July 6
    HAYSIE said:

This is just part of the battle for control of the Conservative Party.

The Party Membership are rather further to the Right than the broader (politically) selection of MPs. So-more moderate MPs/former MPs like Robert Buckland or Tobias Ellwood want the vote (or at least the final vote) to be restricted to the (121) MPs. Rather than effectively forcing MPs to move further to the Right to get the vote from the Membership.

Why do you think that numpty Truss came up with all that drivel? To be elected by the Members as PM.

The other thing is this. If the vote came down to the Members' choice, Nigel Farage would be the leader in due course.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,832
    The Shevrones told the Story........

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

The Party Membership are rather further to the Right than the broader (politically) selection of MPs. So-more moderate MPs/former MPs like Robert Buckland or Tobias Ellwood want the vote (or at least the final vote) to be restricted to the (121) MPs. Rather than effectively forcing MPs to move further to the Right to get the vote from the Membership.

Why do you think that numpty Truss came up with all that drivel? To be elected by the Members as PM.

The other thing is this. If the vote came down to the Members' choice, Nigel Farage would be the leader in due course.
    Do you really think that could happen?
    And if so, could the Tories get elected?

Bean81 said:

Enut said:

You could write a book about all the stuff that is going wrong.
    Much more difficult to find stuff that is running smoothly.

One of the problems with PR is that it often results in a coalition.
    This was a disaster for the Lib Dems in 2010.
    The confidence and supply agreement Theresa May had with the DUP in 2017, cost a billion quid, a few demands, and didnt end well.

I would like to see Reform having no seats, but prefer them to have 5, rather than the number that might be commensurate with their votes.

We often have anomalies.
    Labour got less votes in the latest election, than Jeremy Corbyn did in 2017, and 2019.
    Yet a huge majority.

To solve any long term issues, politicians will have to start thinking beyond the next election, and gain cross party agreement.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,503
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Do you really think that could happen?
    And if so, could the Tories get elected?

Yes.
    And (much as it fills me with horror) Yes.