You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Why you cant have a relationship with god.

Comments

• rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355
    Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

You will find that Father God is the accepted term.

see that never made sense to me though there is much more with the christian bible that does not make sense then that. Just Normally the birther is a mother is female so I would have thought if there was a being that gave birth to the universe they would be female. I do not believe in deities but if I did I would likely believe in a female one. I guess I do not believe in fictional fairy tale beings.

I have seriously entertained that maybe we live in a simulation like a computer simulation I guess then the creator of the simulation could be an alien and at that point could be male or maybe even neither male or female but something else.

I think putting the male identity on god merely comes from a patriacal women oppressing primitive stone aged ideological delusion.

With, presumably, the exception of teddy bears?

Ah thought u were bringing the Gers into this discussion, but then ah remembered his fixation.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Wow, that is a really good set of questions and thoughts and I'm being serious here. I love the fact that you are actually thinking and asking yourself things like this. The answers however aren't always easy to find or even palatable when you do.

I would like to give you my answers but to try and do that here would require pages of script and hours of time and I probably could not do it justice.

I would suggest that you explore Alpha as that provides insight and allows you to then decide whether or not you wish to explore God more deeply. Some people do, some don't, after all you are free to decide.

Once again, it is those very types of question that fuel healthy debate.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520
    rabdeniro said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

see that never made sense to me though there is much more with the christian bible that does not make sense then that. Just Normally the birther is a mother is female so I would have thought if there was a being that gave birth to the universe they would be female. I do not believe in deities but if I did I would likely believe in a female one. I guess I do not believe in fictional fairy tale beings.

I have seriously entertained that maybe we live in a simulation like a computer simulation I guess then the creator of the simulation could be an alien and at that point could be male or maybe even neither male or female but something else.

I think putting the male identity on god merely comes from a patriacal women oppressing primitive stone aged ideological delusion.

Ah thought u were bringing the Gers into this discussion, but then ah remembered his fixation.
    I thought we were talking about the 2nd coming? Not coming 2nd? :)

Sorry-couldn't resist....
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,728
    Essexphil said:

rabdeniro said:

Tikay10 said:

Doubleme said:

I thought we were talking about the 2nd coming? Not coming 2nd? :)

Sorry-couldn't resist....
    That's you 'Persona Non Grata' in fifty percent of Scotland :D
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975

Wow, that is a really good set of questions and thoughts and I'm being serious here. I love the fact that you are actually thinking and asking yourself things like this. The answers however aren't always easy to find or even palatable when you do.

I would like to give you my answers but to try and do that here would require pages of script and hours of time and I probably could not do it justice.

I would suggest that you explore Alpha as that provides insight and allows you to then decide whether or not you wish to explore God more deeply. Some people do, some don't, after all you are free to decide.

who me or someone else?

this thread got side tracked attacking other positions against christianity the main point in the video here was that it doesnt even make sense for humans to have a relationship with a being capable of knowing everything.

one thing among many others that I despise about religion is the attempt to destroy all knowledge so then they can slip in you cant explain it therefore god. The fact that we cant explain certain things is no evidence what so ever of god. Even if it was which it isn't it would be no evidence of the Christian god. All you get from the we cant explain this is, "we cant explain this" it is not even an iota of evidence for a diety.

As far as we know our galaxy has roughly 200billion stars all potentially with several planets orbiting. Then there are 2 trillion galaxies like ours within the detectable universe and I say detectable universe because we cant rule out there been stuff beyond what we can detect.

So
    2,000,000,000,000 galaxies
    200,000,000,000 stars in each galaxy gives

2,000,000,000,000*200,000,000,000=400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

that is 400 sextillion I may have screwed up the numbers hope not.

now if each star has 8 planets round it assuming our star system is the average which it may or may not be, then would be 2.4 octillion planets in the known universe.

Again this is just what we have detected its more then possible that we can then multiply all this by another trillion or quadrillion again maybe not who knows but even so.

now the universe has we think existed for at least 13.5 billion years. humans have been around for 300,000 years.

So 13,500,000,000/300,000=45000

so your seriously going to tell me that the supposed creator of this entire universe created it all for us when we have been here only 1 45th thousondth of the time of its existence. and further are on a planet that makes up less then an octillionth of the planets?

are you for real do you have any idea how absurd illogical and manifestly arrogant we have to be as a species to believe that?
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,554
    Dawkins is a man of few opinions. He states the clear and present without bias or agenda. His observations do not request a leap of faith. He's no zealot.

What's not to like?
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,728
    Doubleme said:

who me or someone else?

this thread got side tracked attacking other positions against christianity the main point in the video here was that it doesnt even make sense for humans to have a relationship with a being capable of knowing everything.

one thing among many others that I despise about religion is the attempt to destroy all knowledge so then they can slip in you cant explain it therefore god. The fact that we cant explain certain things is no evidence what so ever of god. Even if it was which it isn't it would be no evidence of the Christian god. All you get from the we cant explain this is, "we cant explain this" it is not even an iota of evidence for a diety.

As far as we know our galaxy has roughly 200billion stars all potentially with several planets orbiting. Then there are 2 trillion galaxies like ours within the detectable universe and I say detectable universe because we cant rule out there been stuff beyond what we can detect.

So
    2,000,000,000,000 galaxies
    200,000,000,000 stars in each galaxy gives

2,000,000,000,000*200,000,000,000=400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

that is 400 sextillion I may have screwed up the numbers hope not.

now if each star has 8 planets round it assuming our star system is the average which it may or may not be, then would be 2.4 octillion planets in the known universe.

Again this is just what we have detected its more then possible that we can then multiply all this by another trillion or quadrillion again maybe not who knows but even so.

now the universe has we think existed for at least 13.5 billion years. humans have been around for 300,000 years.

So 13,500,000,000/300,000=45000

so your seriously going to tell me that the supposed creator of this entire universe created it all for us when we have been here only 1 45th thousondth of the time of its existence. and further are on a planet that makes up less then an octillionth of the planets?

are you for real do you have any idea how absurd illogical and manifestly arrogant we have to be as a species to believe that?
    Mr @Doubleme - I object to this witness being called at this time. We've been given no prior notice he'd testify. No discovery of any tests he's conducted or reports he's prepared. And as the court is aware, the defence is entitled to advance notice of any witness who will testify, particularly those who will give scientific evidence, so that we may properly prepare for cross-examination, as well as give the defence an opportunity to have the witness's reports reviewed by a defence expert, who might then be in a position to contradict the veracity of his conclusions.

Judge @TheEdge949 "Mr.Doubleme that is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent objection"

@Doubleme Thank you.

Judge @TheEdge949 Overrulled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVon5xcDjMU
    Do you know why it's called FAITH, because faith implies belief without proof.

Ergo every argument that is levelled against God's existence actually strengthens that faith.

Keep it coming guys, my faith is stronger now than it was this morning.

Ergo every argument that is levelled against God's existence actually strengthens that faith.

So let me get this straight faith is believing without any evidence and this a positive thing why?
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,820
    Your religious views and faith are not under attack.

It's the Richard Dawkins unprovoked attack that's quite lol.

He's an evolutionary biologist and lecturer who thinks religion shouldn't be immune from criticism and debate.

• GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,598
    Doubleme said:

So let me get this straight faith is believing without any evidence and this a positive thing why?
    Think of it in poker terms..i have faith that the river will convert me...
  • green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,927
    Glenelg said:

Doubleme said:

dunk me dunk me dunk me

IM SAVEDDDDDDDDD

yaaasssssssssssss

Glenelg said:

Doubleme said:

The Hooters sum it up like this.

Hey!
    Hush, little baby, don't cry like that
    God's gonna buy you a Cadillac
    He's chosen you to do His will
    You can spread the word in your Coupe de Ville

So jump in the river and learn to swim
    God's gonna wash away all your sins
    And if you still can't see the light
    God's gonna buy you a satellite

Look to the heavens and see it shine
    Heals the sick and leads the blind
    Tune it in and hear it say (hear it say, hear it say)
    It's counting down to Judgment Day

And if you still can't see the light

Hey!

Hey, satellite man, your time has come
    Your words received by everyone
    And should you fall, well, that's okay

You love the ones that you betray
    And when at last you see the light

And when at last you see the light
    (God) God's gonna buy you a satellite
    Yeah, when at last you see the light
    (God) God's gonna buy you a satellite
    Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Hey, God's gonna buy you a satellite
    Look to the heavens and see it shine

Songwriters: Eric M. Bazilian, Rick Chertoff, Robert Andrew Hyman.
  • green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,927
    edited May 26
    Doubleme said:

@Doubleme

Ok a question for you. Do you believe your girlfriend loves you ?

If so why? Love cannot be seen, or touched. By your own example above love cannot exist, because all we are ever aware of is the manifestation of an emotion via signs and gestures.

As much as we would wish otherwise believing that somebody loves us is an act of faith so tell me is love a positive thing.
    mumsie said:

He's an evolutionary biologist and lecturer who thinks religion shouldn't be immune from criticism and debate.

I agree that religion should always be open to criticism and debate, even argument. However, Richard Dawkins always appears to want people to hear his theories whilst slapping down any argument to the contrary.

I have nothing against the man. I just find him to be, for a very learned gentleman, vulgar and uncouth in his attitude to Christianity.

Don't even get me started on Brian Cox

Heads above parapets are there to be shot at.

I stick mine up often enough.

Doubleme said:

@Doubleme

Ok a question for you. Do you believe your girlfriend loves you ?

If so why? Love cannot be seen, or touched. By your own example above love cannot exist, because all we are ever aware of is the manifestation of an emotion via signs and gestures.

As much as we would wish otherwise believing that somebody loves us is an act of faith so tell me is love a positive thing.
    So firstly I have strong evidence that my girlfriend exists I do not have that for your god nor do you.

as for whether my girlfriend loves me, I have many good reasons to believe that. how my girlfriend treats me how her behaviour suggests that emotional expressions and the fact that my girlfriend says she loves me.

is it conceivably possible that my girlfriend could be decieving me? well yes but thats a bit far fetched but no one can say for absolute certainty that their loved one is not decieving them.

In fact when you break it down you cannot be absolutely certain of anything. However there are many things we have very good reason to believe and I have very good reason to believe my girlfriend loves me.

You do not have good reason to believe in your imaginery friend.
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,810

mumsie said:

I agree that religion should always be open to criticism and debate, even argument. However, Richard Dawkins always appears to want people to hear his theories whilst slapping down any argument to the contrary.

I have nothing against the man. I just find him to be, for a very learned gentleman, vulgar and uncouth in his attitude to Christianity.

What do you have against Brian Cox? I thought he presented some excellent programs on the universe....

mumsie said:

What do you have against Brian Cox? I thought he presented some excellent programs on the universe....

Brian Cox is a fascinating man to listen too, he has the ability to explain complicated scientific theories in a very understandable way. I actually like watching his programs until he starts to debunk God.

Not because I object to atheists or their views, as I've said on here before I love dialogue with non believers, but because he displays little knowledge of the very thing he against.

I accept that my criticism of both Dawkins and Cox may seem harsh to some, but when you are put up, by many, as the popular voice of atheism, it has to be expected.

Would I attend a lecture or seminar by Richard Dawkins. Yes. Would I attend a seminar by Brian Cox. Absolutely, because I am open to contradictory opinion and the debate that creates and also because Cox is interesting.

Do I think that they would attend a Holy Spirit day or an Alpha. I'm going to suggest not.

Poked my head up again.

mumsie said:

Brian Cox is a fascinating man to listen too, he has the ability to explain complicated scientific theories in a very understandable way. I actually like watching his programs until he starts to debunk God.

Not because I object to atheists or their views, as I've said on here before I love dialogue with non believers, but because he displays little knowledge of the very thing he against.

I accept that my criticism of both Dawkins and Cox may seem harsh to some, but when you are put up, by many, as the popular voice of atheism, it has to be expected.

Would I attend a lecture or seminar by Richard Dawkins. Yes. Would I attend a seminar by Brian Cox. Absolutely, because I am open to contradictory opinion and the debate that creates and also because Cox is interesting.

Do I think that they would attend a Holy Spirit day or an Alpha. I'm going to suggest not.

Poked my head up again.

curious do you think Matt Dillahunty does not know what he is talking about when it comes to christianity?