You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Why you cant have a relationship with god.

Comments

• madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,400
    Doubleme said:

Doubleme said:

Do you know why it's called FAITH, because faith implies belief without proof.

Ergo every argument that is levelled against God's existence actually strengthens that faith.

Keep it coming guys, my faith is stronger now than it was this morning.

So let me get this straight faith is believing without any evidence and this a positive thing why?
    @Doubleme

Ok a question for you. Do you believe your girlfriend loves you ?

If so why? Love cannot be seen, or touched. By your own example above love cannot exist, because all we are ever aware of is the manifestation of an emotion via signs and gestures.

As much as we would wish otherwise believing that somebody loves us is an act of faith so tell me is love a positive thing.
    So firstly I have strong evidence that my girlfriend exists I do not have that for your god nor do you.

as for whether my girlfriend loves me, I have many good reasons to believe that. how my girlfriend treats me how her behaviour suggests that emotional expressions and the fact that my girlfriend says she loves me.

is it conceivably possible that my girlfriend could be decieving me? well yes but thats a bit far fetched but no one can say for absolute certainty that their loved one is not decieving them.

In fact when you break it down you cannot be absolutely certain of anything. However there are many things we have very good reason to believe and I have very good reason to believe my girlfriend loves me.

You do not have good reason to believe in your imaginery friend.
    But David...does your girlfriend know about your 'relationship' with Winni? 🤔Things might change then...just sayin..😉
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    madprof said:

Doubleme said:

Doubleme said:

Ergo every argument that is levelled against God's existence actually strengthens that faith.

So let me get this straight faith is believing without any evidence and this a positive thing why?
    @Doubleme

If so why? Love cannot be seen, or touched. By your own example above love cannot exist, because all we are ever aware of is the manifestation of an emotion via signs and gestures.

As much as we would wish otherwise believing that somebody loves us is an act of faith so tell me is love a positive thing.
    So firstly I have strong evidence that my girlfriend exists I do not have that for your god nor do you.

as for whether my girlfriend loves me, I have many good reasons to believe that. how my girlfriend treats me how her behaviour suggests that emotional expressions and the fact that my girlfriend says she loves me.

is it conceivably possible that my girlfriend could be decieving me? well yes but thats a bit far fetched but no one can say for absolute certainty that their loved one is not decieving them.

In fact when you break it down you cannot be absolutely certain of anything. However there are many things we have very good reason to believe and I have very good reason to believe my girlfriend loves me.

But David...does your girlfriend know about your 'relationship' with Winni? 🤔Things might change then...just sayin..😉
    It's a 204(at a guess)some
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    stokefc said:

madprof said:

Doubleme said:

Doubleme said:

@Doubleme

Finally, a Winni meme worth seeing.
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768

stokefc said:

madprof said:

Doubleme said:

Doubleme said:

@Doubleme

Finally, a Winni meme worth seeing.
    Goarrrn @Doubleme you know you want to :p
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    Essexphil said:

On a slightly more serious note, I am always reluctant to get too involved in religious debates.

Religion gives lots of pleasure to millions of people. And it is one of those pleasures-whether to believe, not believe or sit on the fence-that is important. As is the fact that we live in a country where we are free to debate the existence of God, and what flavour it might be.

I don't like Religious extremists. Doesn't matter which religion. Islam. Christianity. Judaism. All have tremendous people of faith. And a vocal minority of extremists. Who want to restrict our choices.

The Pope. I'm not knocking Catholicism. Or Catholics. But if a religious leader feels it is OK to refer to gay people as "faggots" in 2024 then he needs to take a long hard look at himself.

I think what concerns me is that religion usually always ends up affecting those that do not believe.

There is political pressure from the religious groups on abortion. Particularly in the US I am not so clued up about that issue over here. In Iran women are literally beaten to death for daring to go outside without face coverings. In Afghanistan many self believed heroic fighters have risked their life and successfully fought against the worlds number 1 military super power for the supposed cause of making sure that women can never have an education or job leaving them dependant on their husbands and open to abuse. Whilst denying them so much of what live could have offered.

It also affects politics here I feel a bit silly mentioning the issues here as they are microscopic in comparison to places elsewhere, however when I have googled gambling laws I have come across articles from the Christian institute, when I have researched weed laws again inputs from the Christian institute.

I have struggled to understand people, and relate to people at one point I came up with an idea of trying to understand people from an evolutionary perspective. I was told that I cant go around talking about evolution because "evolution is just a theory and it will be offensive to peoples religious sensitivities." Ok firstly my ideas may have been utter **** or not, but evolution is beyond proven at this point. I literally mean it when I say I have more confidence that evolution is true then that the world is not flat. I am not a flat earther btw. It should not be the case that I cannot mention scientific theories hypothesis or etc because it is offensive to religion.

I am a great believer in live and let live until it affects others, unfortunately it is the case that religion influences politics substantially and the laws we live under and how we can live our lives.

if you are going to subject me and others to religious laws and rule, you need to have much better justification and evidence for the belief other then a matter of faith.

If you are going to keep the faith mostly to yourself and not bring it into politics and how society is ran fine whatever. However unfortunately it is the case that religion always infects the rest of us regardless of our choices.

It is also does not seem congruent with Christianity to be low profile and not seek to spread it and influence every aspect of society and live.

For example if I truly believed in Christianity and I truly believed that those who do not accept this faith will literally be tortured in the most painful ways possible for all eternity then I would not be able to live a normal live. Nothing in this live would matter at all compared to the infinite, I of course would already know that I am dammed to eternal **** no matter what I do. Why? because I think that any being capable of doing otherwise who would allow a system where by billions of people are tortured to the maximum painful extent possible for all eternity is evil beyond words, it wouldn't even make sense to say orders of magnitude more evil then Hitler because that would drastically understate it.
    However I would have to dedicate every fibre of my being to obsessing to the most effective way of saving as many people as possible from this fate. My life would be dedicated to having discussions and actions about the most effective way to convert as many people as possible, nothing else would matter. What a waste.

I am not on a mission to attack anyone with this thread or de-convert people I merely posted the video and made the thread because I thought it was highly interesting, and a well made video.
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,554
    edited May 28
    The church has long been a con. Purely a business. An ideological pyramid scheme for the hopeless or guilty.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,520

The church has long been a con. Purely a business. An ideological pyramid scheme for the hopeless or guilty.

To quote the old joke.

90% of Church congregations are made up of 2 groups:-

1. The young and gullible
    2. People studying for their Finals

FWIW I don't think the church is a con. There are lots of totally genuine people within it. In it for all the right reasons. Although it is equally true that a minority of people within all religions are in it for selfish, unworthy reasons.

And exactly the same would be true about people claiming that God does not exist.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Pope apologises over reported homophobic slur

A statement from the Vatican said the Pope did not mean to offend anyone and apologised to those who were "hurt by the use of a word".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/czrrexn0094o

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

I suppose it's not for people like me to give advice to His Holiness, but it seems to me he needs to stop digging. As apologies goes, that's a shocker.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    Tikay10 said:

I suppose it's not for people like me to give advice to His Holiness, but it seems to me he needs to stop digging. As apologies goes, that's a shocker.

I dont know I would have much more respect for any advice you would give, then I would for someone basing their advice on ancient fairy tales just saying.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,878
    Religious Royalty arrive & go in a puff of smoke......
  • GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,598
    goldon said:

Religious Royalty arrive & go in a puff of smoke......

Or burnt at the stake..
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    Tikay10 said:

Yet if anyone else says anything like that they get arrested and charged o:)
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Doubleme said:

Tikay10 said:

I dont know I would have much more respect for any advice you would give, then I would for someone basing their advice on ancient fairy tales just saying.

Have you stopped worrying, stressing and being fearful of every situation and sought to be a little adventurous and daring or are you still overthinking and micro analyzing everything to the point of paralysis.

Have you started to live, really live. Find the edge, push that boundary just a little, place one foot outside that comfort zone, do something spontaneous and to h3ll with it. It doesn't have to be anything dangerous or illegal,

I wager that that advice remains unheeded

You come across as a reasonably well educated young man but you seem crippled with anxiety and doubt which honestly saddens me.

As far as fairy tales go, well I defer to the young boy living in 100 acre wood and his toy bear and donkey and tiger.

Oh wait a great idea for doing something a little edgy, play poo sticks, but use canoes Drop them in a river and see which one gets past a predetermined point first. The really edgy part is recovering them. Do it dressed as Poo Bear for even more laughs.

When Doubleme first posted I had him down as Mentally Challenged and Apologised for (me) taking the Winnie out of his Mickey. He has either miraculously recovered or was pulling the wool by pretending. I'm glad he has found God a miracle has taken place and he is in a relationship. hic!
    goldon said:

When Doubleme first posted I had him down as Mentally Challenged and Apologised for (me) taking the Winnie out of his Mickey. He has either miraculously recovered or was pulling the wool by pretending. I'm glad he has found God a miracle has taken place and he is in a relationship. hic!

It's complicated....
    Should it be god or God?
    The Story of How God Called Billy Graham.

The Ministry
    In over 55 years of ministry, Billy Graham has preached the Gospel message to more than 215 million people in over 185 countries around the world. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, which he founded in 1950, reaches out to millions more each year through radio and television broadcasts, films, literature, training, events, and the Internet.

You could say, he had a relationship with God.

• lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,728
    goldon said:

The Story of How God Called Billy Graham.

The Ministry
    In over 55 years of ministry, Billy Graham has preached the Gospel message to more than 215 million people in over 185 countries around the world. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, which he founded in 1950, reaches out to millions more each year through radio and television broadcasts, films, literature, training, events, and the Internet.

You could say, he had a relationship with God.

Good Old Dollars
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,355
    If you believe you believe, if you don't you don't.